Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519920 times)

Offline emtee

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1435 on: February 02, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
I
Can't
Stop
Listening
To
This
Album

I'm getting closer and closer to calling this something that starts with M.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1436 on: February 02, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »
Noob question but can somebody say which are each characters' themes/melodies? Faythe is quite obvious (Act of Faythe)  but others?

Faythe - Act of Faythe themes
Gabriel -  The Answer Themes and it's variations
Arhys - Brother Can You Hear Me? / A better life themes
Nefaryus - Anything dark, evil and edgy (with a Disney villain feel)  ;D 

Xander, Evangeline and The Empress don't really seem to have a reoccurring theme of their own.

Nearest I can tell anyways. You can hear the different themes revisited on the final track 34 Astonishing.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1437 on: February 02, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »
And here's another reason why you have to listen to DT albums like this several times...

I'm on probably the the 10th listen through or so, and just now caught the forshadowing of "Our New World" as the intro to "A Savior In The Square"

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1438 on: February 02, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Noob question but can somebody say which are each characters' themes/melodies? Faythe is quite obvious (Act of Faythe)  but others?

Xander, Evangeline and The Empress don't really seem to have a reoccurring theme of their own.

Nearest I can tell anyways. You can hear the different themes revisited on the final track 34 Astonishing.
Themes seem less assigned by character and more assigned by emotion / mood.

There's a "musical analysis" thread that might have more on this (but I haven't checked it recently).
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline thosava

« Reply #1439 on: February 02, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
I'm generally a fan of this guy, but he just doesn't get prog rock/metal it seems... He's almost always bashing prog when he reviews it, but to call The Astonishing "All proficiency, no soul" is just wrong.
https://youtu.be/BFK3H5Tl_Lo?t=3m3s

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1440 on: February 02, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »

Themes seem less assigned by character and more assigned by emotion / mood.

There's a "musical analysis" thread that might have more on this (but I haven't checked it recently).
Yeah, you're not wrong in the slightest. The themes are more based on events or emotions rather than character. But if you had to draw a dotted line to each one, that's how I'd do it.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1441 on: February 02, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »
I don't see how any DT fan could hate on Moment Of Betrayal.  Snare sound aside, and no it doesn't sound like Awake, but isn't songs like this why you listen to DT???  It is for me. 

Heh...yea...when I first saw Ravenskill I thought of the killing of ravens.

MoB is my second least favorite song on the album. I attribute this largely to the rhythm guitar, which sounds awful. I would like the song a lot more if the distorted guitar tone from Heaven's Cove was used instead.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #1442 on: February 02, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
Man, I just love the main rift and grove of Our New World.  Have never heard anything like this from DT before.

This is definitely such a fresh and inspired album.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1443 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

And Daryus, I would say, is the main theme of A Tempting Offer and its variations near the end of The Path That Divides.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
I'm generally a fan of this guy, but he just doesn't get prog rock/metal it seems... He's almost always bashing prog when he reviews it, but to call The Astonishing "All proficiency, no soul" is just wrong.

He's full of shit, he says he's hoping the album would put the final nail into rock opera's coffin, what fan of music would wish something like that on fellow fans? I fuckin hate rap but I don't wish it to die since I know that brings it's fans joy!
Except dance music that's made for the sole purpose of dancing in big parties/raves, these fuckers deserve joy to be taken away from them. /hypocrisy in the afternoon
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1445 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »

I generally don't pay attention to people like that. They're never going to get it, and they don't want to. It could be the most soulful prog CD ever, and this guy would find some way to denigrate it.

Man, I just love the main rift and grove of Our New World.  Have never heard anything like this from DT before.

I thought the same thing. I said this in another thread but it reminds me of a hair metal band riff.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1446 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »

He's full of shit, he says he's hoping the album would put the final nail into rock opera's coffin, what fan of music would wish something like that on fellow fans? I fuckin hate rap but I don't wish it to die since I know that brings it's fans joy!
Except dance music that's made for the sole purpose of dancing in big parties/raves, these fuckers deserve joy to be taken away from them. /hypocrisy in the afternoon

Couldn't have said it better myself! I just lost most of my respect for that guy. He was bashing the latest two Steven Wilson albums as well.

Edit: mistyping
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:59:10 PM by thosava »

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1447 on: February 02, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »

"Stop liking what I don't like"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1448 on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
He was bashing the las\test two Steven Wilson albums as well.

Wait...so now he does have good taste?  I'm confused.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1449 on: February 02, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1450 on: February 02, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
Just realized what an amazing one-two punch "Heaven's Cove" and "Begin Again" are. Late to the party as always...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »

:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1452 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
He was bashing the latest two Steven Wilson albums as well.

:corn I know you don't like him, but it was just an example of some other prog rock that reviewer guy was bashing  :lol. I've only seen him liking one prog rock album, and that was "In the Court of the Crimson King".

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1453 on: February 02, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Can't help but think this album would be a little better with MP's drumming.  I miss all his different percussion sounds he'd make.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1454 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
And here's another reason why you have to listen to DT albums like this several times...

I'm on probably the the 10th listen through or so, and just now caught the forshadowing of "Our New World" as the intro to "A Savior In The Square"

Yup, I'm just starting my second listen to disc 2 which, when complete, will be twice through the entire album and I can already tell that this thing will be revealing little nuggets like this for months.

I have to say, this is what I have always wanted from Dream Theater ever since....oh....Six Degrees.   That's the last album they've made that I could compare to this.   It reminds me at times of disc 2 of 6DOIT

Anyone else think the snare sounds vaguely remeniscent of the snare sound in I&W?  It's got a little more of a woody sound but it's also got that kind of long decay that you hear on the I&W triggers.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Can't help but think this album would be a little better with MP's drumming.  I miss all his different percussion sounds he'd make.

As much as it bugs me to admit I agree with this, I do.  That's not to say I don't love what I'm hearing here from Mangini.  But....yeah....I'd love to hear Portnoy's take on this.  Wait, no, that doesn't sound right.  I don't want his opinion on this album.  I already know what that will be  :lol

I mean, I'd love to hear him play what he'd like to play on an album like this. 

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1456 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
Sorry for noob question, but is it true, there's no stem or isolated track from The Astonishing? Really?? They have 34 song, and cant give us stem track just for one song??  :facepalm:
I really wanna hear orchestra stem from Dystopian Overture, that would be very great you know, especially the choir from BCYHM theme  :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1457 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
This album has a bitter/sweet feel for me. I Love it the whole way through and gets better with each listen.  My wife (who's name is Victoria) passed away last summer, she loved DT's softer side and was a huge fan of James Labrie. Everytime I listen to TA, I know how much she would have been enjoying listening to this. Probably more so than any other album. Her fav song was Beneath The Surface.. This album is loaded with songs with feel and emotion and JLB shines! I personally dedicate this to her...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »

wurd

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1459 on: February 02, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Is Rich Chycki the voice of Arhys as well? The credits say he does Nafaryus, but we only hear him cry.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: February 02, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
Who does the " Troops fall in " etc etc at the beginning of The Answer ??

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1461 on: February 02, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
This album has a bitter/sweet feel for me. I Love it the whole way through and gets better with each listen.  My wife (who's name is Victoria) passed away last summer, she loved DT's softer side and was a huge fan of James Labrie. Everytime I listen to TA, I know how much she would have been enjoying listening to this. Probably more so than any other album. Her fav song was Beneath The Surface.. This album is loaded with songs with feel and emotion and JLB shines! I personally dedicate this to her...

That must be very tough.  I had a girlfriend dump me named Vicki which for a while made it tough to listen to SFAM.   I can only imagine how tough it must be to lose your wife.  I am sorry for your loss and hopefully she is listening to The Astonishing somewhere above.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1462 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Who does the " Troops fall in " etc etc at the beginning of The Answer ??
Do you mean A Better Life? Because that's what I'm talking about as well
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1463 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Thanks lovethedrake,  I appreciate that..  I'm on the same page, I can't even listen to SFAM right now.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1464 on: February 02, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Really sorry to hear about this. I hope that TA would make her proud! Amazing how DT finds a way to make such a personal connection with people.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: February 02, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »

And Daryus, I would say, is the main theme of A Tempting Offer and its variations near the end of The Path That Divides.

Thanks dudes!  :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1466 on: February 02, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »

When I first realized this, I literally yelled "YES!"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1467 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »
Anyway, to sum up about all those big discussions on the title of the album:

- Gabriel is The Astonishing, for his gift of music.
- The Astonishing event is Gabriel singing Faythe back to life.
- The title track doesn't have "The" in front 'cause Astonishing is used as an adjective to describe the lives of the characters from then on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: February 02, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »

So sorry to hear that. I hope you can still enjoy the music and hopefully it brings you just good memories. Remember, The spirit carries on. We are here with you.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mike PornToy

« Reply #1469 on: February 02, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
I
Can't
Stop
Listening
To
This
Album

I'm getting closer and closer to calling this something that starts with M.

The best DT for all public, less metal, more prog rock !