Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519466 times)

Offline Zeroshift

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1330 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
I'm only on my second listen.  I feel like the overture will be much more amazing once I get all the musical themes on the album.  The second listen and I am already much more enjoying the album since instead of following the story like I did the first time, I am just really enjoying the music.

I actually fell in love with Dystopian Overture right away on my first listen. The guitar solo in the beginning followed by Rudess' arpeggios backed with the haunting choir made it an instant like for me, especially as a piano player myself

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1331 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
having Xander flying on the back of a raven (or whatever) has nothing to do with the story...right?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1332 on: February 02, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
After the second full listen, this time with a little more focus than the first listen, yep, this is still a great album.

Favorites so far (now that I can actually pick favorites): Hymn of a Thousand Voices, Our New World, Moment of Betrayal, A Better Life, and Chosen.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:37:29 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1333 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »
In terms of overtures, the first one is cool and sets the mood. The second one though is superfluous.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1334 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:53 AM »
Dystopian Overture is awesome, and has a great mood that sets it apart from the rest of the album. While I understand the place and purpose of the other instrumental, it feels more patched together and doesn't flow great imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1335 on: February 02, 2016, 01:51:06 AM »
In terms of overtures, the first one is cool and sets the mood. The second one though is superfluous.

Looked at as a musical theater production, it is not superfluous. It is an entr'acte, which bridges the two acts.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1336 on: February 02, 2016, 02:01:59 AM »

Looked at as a musical theater production, it is not superfluous. It is an entr'acte, which bridges the two acts.

Exactly that. It's like a quick recap before the curtain comes up for the second act.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1337 on: February 02, 2016, 02:41:13 AM »
To be honest, I'm rarely a particularly huge fan of overtures, so I don't find either all that exciting. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1338 on: February 02, 2016, 03:06:41 AM »
The second overture is brief and contains only the few truly wonderful themes. It gets my vote, fantastic little track that sets the mood perfectly for the big twist, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1339 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:40 AM »
As I've said before, 2285 Entr'acte does a great job of transporting you back into the world of the story after the intermission, much like the Second Overture from Spock's Beard's rock opera Snow.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1340 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:51 AM »
having Xander flying on the back of a raven (or whatever) has nothing to do with the story...right?
I have same question about this  :huh:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1341 on: February 02, 2016, 04:02:12 AM »
Flying up to the heavens, I guess....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1342 on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »
A thought on the live production of this album. I mean, I love JP and all, but it would do the show a great disservice to have him as the only other singer to JLB. A few really skilled backup singers would just push this album over the top.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly! I'm affraid it will be all canned backing vocals though...they did an amazing job integrading the orchestra and the choir into the mix! Would LOVE a full orchestra/choir live show.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1343 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:46 AM »
Man, reading through some of the comments on reviews online and people are not getting it, or downright hating it. Looks like a knee-jerk reaction after a one time skip through listen to me.....  :tdwn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »

The Answer

ARHYS
They ask me Arhys,
Could things be any tougher,
The answer's no surprise

I heard this part and I was thinking " oh please, *don't* go " Yes. They. Could! " :lol

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1345 on: February 02, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »
So, I don't think it was another thread-worthy - how would you play the album for someone who wants to initially hear it just in one, single go, and let him/her get the most out of that playthrough?

I let my girlfriend hear the past 2 new albums and she loved each, but she can't really sit through an entire LP - let alone a double one - except for a single, first time each. I want her to be immersed with the plot as much as possible but also enjoy the music and the flow. So far I thought of a few options:

1. Pause between each track, read the website description during pauses, read the lyrics as the song plays. Flow is ruined but information is maximized. Certain plot points may be revealed too early (BUG, falling in love?).
2. Read lyrics while playing. Pause on every NOMAC tracks and read (at least the highlights) of what we've just heard on the website. Best compromise of flow and information, but "jack of all trades".
3. Skip the lyrics, read the website while playing.
4. Skip the website, read the lyrics while playing, either let her read or spoil her the major plot points revealed by the website later if she cares (I'm afraid she would be confused by what "power" Gabriel has other than the ability to sing, what's up with BUG, what exactly happens during Moment of Betrayal etc, like I was initially).
5. Other?

Thoughts, please? :D

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #1346 on: February 02, 2016, 07:56:41 AM »
Man, reading through some of the comments on reviews online and people are not getting it, or downright hating it. Looks like a knee-jerk reaction after a one time skip through listen to me.....  :tdwn

I find it amazing how people can't like this album, especially Dream Theater fans. Meanwhile, i'm really happy that they thought outside the box and made a geniune spectacle of an album. I think it's got everything a Dream Theater fan should want. And it's not meant to be digested it one go. I think after at least a couple of weeks in, only then a review is legitimately written. Especially for something as big as TA. Man, they're surely missing out on a great album which is worth every second of my time.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1347 on: February 02, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
Wow, so much to read in this thread. I hope my own opinion isn't too late or repetitive.

You didn't like the way
I put the knife in wrong
You didn't like the way
My blood spilled on your brand new floor

Whole lotta this in this thread.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when this fandom is one of the most ravenous, demanding and pretentious ones around (and I say that with a finger pointing at myself as well  ;D )

This is the 12th studio album this band has released since I became a fan, and with the exception of SFAM, each one has always taken a few days of listening to sink in and grow into the mnemonic milepost of life that each one is for me. And that's what has kept me a fan through 20 some odd years.

That being said, I recognize this effort for what it is. Their attempt at doing something between an audible movie and a soundtrack. I didn't go into this expecting another Scenes or Six Degrees type album, and I suspect some of those that are the most angry or dislike it probably did just that to varying degrees.

We as a fandom have cried for something epic and different from them over the last few releases. Everyone mostly agrees that they'd gotten into a rut of sorts, still releasing great material, but lacking the different flavors and directions we'd come to love from 8V and before.

The refrains went something like this:
"Man, this is a alright album, but it's no SFAM, SDoIT or 8v... wish they would do something epic like that again.. come on, they're DREEEEAAAMM THEATER!"

So here we are. They just gave us a 2:30-ish long album filled with so many new flavors and directions that at times it's like you're listening to a OST. Something they've never done before and few bands could even conceptualize.

Thanks, guys. Really. Thanks for this. You had the guts to do a complete 90 degree turn and reach for something incredible.

Sure, they could have used some help in the lyrics department (but that's always been an enduring trait of this band for me) and probably could have found a slightly less cliche story and characters. But I'm not entirely sure the story and characters weren't supposed to be cheesy and cliche. I could totally see JP having a laugh going "Heh... Faythe, Nefaryus... People are gonna freakin laugh their butts off when they read this. It'll be fun!"

Or maybe not *shrugs* Who knows. But I seriously doubt all parties involved in the creation of this honestly thought the characters and story were so unique and ground breaking that it should be taken seriously.  :police:  I think we're the only ones projecting that.

Point is... I don't really care much. This band did what I've always loved them for, and that's take me on a musical adventure somewhere with melodies and harmonies that are completely new that I find myself humming randomly out of the blue. To compare this to anything else they've done and then point to it's flaws is pretty closed minded, if you ask me. We wanted them to do something different, and they did. It's like eating salad everyday, complaining about it, then complaining the soup you got doesn't taste like a salad.

And to those that complain there isn't ONE track on here that's amazing all the way through, I think the whole album is intended to be "watched" like you do a movie, from start to finish, without trying to take scenes by themselves and then lament when they don't stand on their own.

Even the scene at the end of Aliens where Ripley appears in the loader to challenge the queen xenomorph and protect Newt doesn't hold much power without watching the struggle that's taken place up to that moment.

It's going to get the customary 20 more listen throughs (on top of the 10 or so it's already had) and then go in my library, to be pulled out for specific occasions that fit it. My next road trip, for example. This is a perfect road trip album.

And I don't regret spending the money on it one bit. Or buying the ticket for the live show coming in a couple of months.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: February 02, 2016, 08:12:06 AM »

The Answer

ARHYS
They ask me Arhys,
The answer's no surprise

I heard this part and I was thinking " oh please, *don't* go " Yes. They. Could! " :lol

It's from A Better Life not The Answer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »
I will always buy physical products.

In 30 or so years it will be nice to have a look through all the CDs and DVDs in my collection.

People who only download music can stand back and look at.....fuck all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: February 02, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »

The Answer

ARHYS
They ask me Arhys,
The answer's no surprise

It's from A Better Life not The Answer

Yes. But It's still funny.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
It is, i just wanted to pull the smartass  ;D

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #1352 on: February 02, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
I've climbed the mountain that is this thread, and I'm not surprised by anything I've read. Lots of unique opinions, and for 2+ hours of music, I'm glad to see mostly positive reactions. I'm disappointed by the lack of love given specifically to the song Ravenskill (I think it might be my favorite, I'm still deliberating), but one thing remains clear: This album requires multiple listens. Unless you're the type of person who specifically seeks out analysis and breakdowns, there are so many nuggets in this album, and links and themes that the gravity of it is almost certainly something that bears weight (no pun intended).

RE: A New Beginning fade out - I have a feeling the fade out is 1) due to the time constraint of mortal CDs and 2) an opportunity for the band to take an extended jam session in the live show. I don't think it abrupt or out of place (especially given what it leads up to). I will say that I mistakenly coined it as the end of act 1 the first 3-4 listens, forgetting that The Road to Revolution is right after.

RE: My muuusiiiic plaaaaayerrrrr - I didn't find it as grating as I expected from early reviews, and my wife outright loves the song. This was discussed somewhere else, but I think there's just a certain level of 'cheese' that us manly metal men have problems digesting because we think it 'uncool'. When my wife said she started liking Act of Faythe more than Three Days, I started to gain an understanding from her outside perspective. Nothing on the album reached levels of "I'm just a poor girl..." or "Beginnings get complicated..." to me.

I'm still listening 30 minutes at a time to and from work every day, and this weekend I'll sit down again with the HDTracks version.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1353 on: February 02, 2016, 08:20:05 AM »
Wow, so much to read in this thread. I hope my own opinion isn't too late or repetitive.

You didn't like the way
I put the knife in wrong
You didn't like the way
My blood spilled on your brand new floor

Whole lotta this in this thread.

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when this fandom is one of the most ravenous, demanding and pretentious ones around (and I say that with a finger pointing at myself as well  ;D )

This is the 12th studio album this band has released since I became a fan, and with the exception of SFAM, each one has always taken a few days of listening to sink in and grow into the mnemonic milepost of life that each one is for me. And that's what has kept me a fan through 20 some odd years.

That being said, I recognize this effort for what it is. Their attempt at doing something between an audible movie and a soundtrack. I didn't go into this expecting another Scenes or Six Degrees type album, and I suspect some of those that are the most angry or dislike it probably did just that to varying degrees.

We as a fandom have cried for something epic and different from them over the last few releases. Everyone mostly agrees that they'd gotten into a rut of sorts, still releasing great material, but lacking the different flavors and directions we'd come to love from 8V and before.

The refrains went something like this:
"Man, this is a alright album, but it's no SFAM, SDoIT or 8v... wish they would do something epic like that again.. come on, they're DREEEEAAAMM THEATER!"

So here we are. They just gave us a 2:30-ish long album filled with so many new flavors and directions that at times it's like you're listening to a OST. Something they've never done before and few bands could even conceptualize.

Thanks, guys. Really. Thanks for this. You had the guts to do a complete 90 degree turn and reach for something incredible.

Sure, they could have used some help in the lyrics department (but that's always been an enduring trait of this band for me) and probably could have found a slightly less cliche story and characters. But I'm not entirely sure the story and characters weren't supposed to be cheesy and cliche. I could totally see JP having a laugh going "Heh... Faythe, Nefaryus... People are gonna freakin laugh their butts off when they read this. It'll be fun!"

Or maybe not *shrugs* Who knows. But I seriously doubt all parties involved in the creation of this honestly thought the characters and story were so unique and ground breaking that it should be taken seriously.  :police:  I think we're the only ones projecting that.

Point is... I don't really care much. This band did what I've always loved them for, and that's take me on a musical adventure somewhere with melodies and harmonies that are completely new that I find myself humming randomly out of the blue. To compare this to anything else they've done and then point to it's flaws is pretty closed minded, if you ask me. We wanted them to do something different, and they did. It's like eating salad everyday, complaining about it, then complaining the soup you got doesn't taste like a salad.

And to those that complain there isn't ONE track on here that's amazing all the way through, I think the whole album is intended to be "watched" like you do a movie, from start to finish, without trying to take scenes by themselves and then lament when they don't stand on their own.

Even the scene at the end of Aliens where Ripley appears in the loader to challenge the queen xenomorph and protect Newt doesn't hold much power without watching the struggle that's taken place up to that moment.

It's going to get the customary 20 more listen throughs (on top of the 10 or so it's already had) and then go in my library, to be pulled out for specific occasions that fit it. My next road trip, for example. This is a perfect road trip album.

And I don't regret spending the money on it one bit. Or buying the ticket for the live show coming in a couple of months.

Awesome first post.

I can truly understand how some/many fans would not connect with this if their expectations weren't tweaked in advance. This
album is a different animal with the sole intent of grandiosity, and creating a mental image through the aural medium. I just
hope that the fans who don't like it at least respect the risk they took and the amount of sheer effort that went into it's creation.

Welcome to DTF!

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1354 on: February 02, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
Dystopian Overture is awesome, and has a great mood that sets it apart from the rest of the album. While I understand the place and purpose of the other instrumental, it feels more patched together and doesn't flow great imo.
I think of it in terms of the live show. After an intermission of maybe 20-30 minutes (time enough to towel off, go to the bathroom, possibly change clothes, and rehydrate) the reminder of the themes that went on in act 1 would be appreciated. That's likely how they planned it. They recorded it as they'll perform it live.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: February 02, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
I think of it in terms of the live show. After an intermission of maybe 20-30 minutes (time enough to towel off, go to the bathroom, possibly change clothes, and rehydrate) the reminder of the themes that went on in act 1 would be appreciated. That's likely how they planned it. They recorded it as they'll perform it live.

As I said, I do understand it has its place and purpose in the grand scheme of the album. Nonetheless, it doesn't work for me as a piece of music to listen to.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #1356 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »

Awesome first post.

I can truly understand how some/many fans would not connect with this if their expectations weren't tweaked in advance. This
album is a different animal with the sole intent of grandiosity, and creating a mental image through the aural medium. I just
hope that the fans who don't like it at least respect the risk they took and the amount of sheer effort that went into it's creation.

Welcome to DTF!

Thanks! I'm not entirely new. I had an account here back in the SC days but I have no clue what happened to it or all the posts I had. I worked on the BC&SL tour as an audio tech for a few dates and posted a ton of behind the scenes pictures from it. But it seems all that's gone D:

Oh well   :biggrin: Maybe I should repost it

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
I have same question about this  :huh:

Deleted scene bro
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
The need for the entr'acte is clear, but i share the oppinion, that it is not so good constructed as the overture. The themes don't flow so well, i think of a medley every time i listen to it, and the atmosphere is not as great. It doesn't bother me however.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: February 02, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »

As I said, I do understand it has its place and purpose in the grand scheme of the album. Nonetheless, it doesn't work for me as a piece of music to listen to.

Also, just because something is common in a given genre, doesn't mean it's either necessary or good.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #1360 on: February 02, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »
Daryus ends up deaf, but he still is the Crown Prince, right? So that evil bastard is the future king of an Empire where music will rise again… and he's deaf? I don't really think he'll stick to Nafaryus' plan the future… trouble is coming :sad:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
Daryus ends up deaf, but he still is the Crown Prince, right? So that evil bastard is the future king of an Empire where music will rise again… and he's deaf? I don't really think he'll stick to Nafaryus' plan the future… trouble is coming :sad:

Sounds like an excellent sequel. The Astonishing II: Daryus Can You Hear Me?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1362 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
I can definitely understand a person who started loving dream theater post 2003 not liking this album.  However it's hard to understand how fans of their classic era wouldn't be drooling over this thing.  It's literally ever single thing I want from a dream theater album.  The fact that I love rock operas just makes it that much more spectacular.

It is such a fun and eclectic musical journey and packed with so many fantastic songs and scenes.   Sure there is some cheese to it but I don't think that's ever been void of any dream theater albums.  If you love dream theater you probably love some cheese. 

Amazing album and I hope they continue to stay inspired for years to come.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1363 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Guess what I'm listening to again at this moment? :lol

Who else had these reactions when hearing these lines in Savior in the Square:

Nafaryus: "Please don't stop on my account" Sarsastic jerk, but it inexpicably makes you so cool.

Daryus: "Do as my father says!" What an insufferable prick!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: February 02, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »

And why does Gabriel's music cure stabbing, but not tinnitus? :neverusethis: