Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518831 times)

Offline The Astonished

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1295 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
There's alot of parts on the album that sound like pure Disney to me ESPECIALLY Begin Again. obviously not exact but alot of the faythe stuff reminds me of Menken.
Dream Theater....What I Hear

The "found my waaay" with the orchestration after it, in Act of Faythe, always reminds me when Esmeralda wanted to be outside in the Hunchback of the Notre Dame.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1296 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »
a

Blocked in my country because of copyrights.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1297 on: February 01, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
I don't like it. At all. I am a huge DT fan and have seen them numerous times. I was looking forward to this tour, but I won't be going to watch them perform this album. I just couldn't get into it. Of course the musicianship is incredible. I also feel the this is James' best album of vocals. He was brilliant. However after listening to the album 3 times, I can't remember ONE single track that stands out that made me hum or sing a chorus to or catchy riff. For me, the tracks are too short and they never got into songs. I guess it's just a rock opera that HAS to be listened to over the entire act. To me, they focused way too much on the story and characters than the music. I assume now that this tour will be more of a visual play and DT just happens to be standing there playing background tracks. That's just not my thing. So for me, The Astonishing was a big let down and I will pass on it. I also didn't like BCaSL. I would rank this one right down near the bottom with it. I will just listen to Score for a while to restore my FAYTHE....see what I did there?

I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately I already bought my ticket and booked the flight. The album is okay, maybe even great from a production point of view, but there's something missing that makes a truly great DT album. If I wanted to listen to 'okay' 4 minute songs I'll just turn on the FM dial.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #1298 on: February 01, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »
Brother, Can You Hear Me? has become one of my favourite JLB efforts, ever. He's really acing in that song.

"I sing the song of freedom, my courage knows no bounds.
Brother, now I stand on solid ground.
Brother, I will never let you down.
Never LET YOUUUUU DOOOOOOOOOWN!"

So many shivers down my spine. So fucking great.  :yarr
Anyone else think of "Some Enchanted Evening" ("Ne... ver... let... her... goooooo!") on that last line?

...just me then?  ;)
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1299 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
Bands usually bring songs to a proper end when playing live, even if the studio version fades out.

Well, replace "usually" with "have to", it's kinda hard to play with less and less intensity to simulate the fade out  ;D

Anyway, I agree as well that it will be interesting to see how they will end it, maybe they'll buy James some extra minutes for resting... like the Entr'Acte, for him the intermission will be 18 minutes long and not 15!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pantsofeternity

« Reply #1300 on: February 01, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
Also, two or three songs contain in-song NOMAC sounds, yes?  It feels like they're present in that abrupt transition in "Savior in the Square," and one Act II song I can't think of at the moment... also, whooshing noises in the overture I assumed were NOMACs.  Anyone able to back me up on this?
I believe the song in Act II you are looking for is "The Path That Divides".
Thanks, that's the one!  For reference, the timestamps where I'm noticing NOMACs:
Dystopian Overture: 1:12
Savior in the Square: 3:25
Path That Divides: 0:36

Anyone able to figure out what the choir is singing in those stabs around 3:20 of "Savior in the Square"?
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline pantsofeternity

« Reply #1301 on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »
Regarding the "my music player" line--which I also find grating and takes me out of the story...
This is my favorite moment of the album.  Made me tear up on first listen.  Just reaches right into that part of my memory when I was a new kid at school in 7th grade (brutal year to be the new kid) and the only friend I had was my music player.

This is not to say you're wrong... I have plenty of thoughts on where JP & co. might have used a second pair of eyes when lyric-writing over the past several albums... but just, one's trash lyric is another's treasure.  :)

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #1302 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
As you know I've been dying waiting for a true second video in The Astonishing web page, I make my own video then, hahaha
Well, it is not really my own video, but I just realize the video from The Gift of Music in Dream Theater official youtube (the one they use for TGoM release for the first time) is matching with Descent of NOMACS.
So I just put and sync the audio of Descent of NOMACS with that video, and it absolutely great & cool !!!
I am a little bit sure, this video will be used as an opening video before their start playing live in their upcoming concert.

You can watch it here
deleted

Blocked in my country because of copyrights.

B.Lee
I just re upload it here https://vimeo.com/153834854  :lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:23:35 PM by pringkaarwanda »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1303 on: February 01, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Regarding the "my music player" line--which I also find grating and takes me out of the story...
This is my favorite moment of the album.  Made me tear up on first listen.  Just reaches right into that part of my memory when I was a new kid at school in 7th grade (brutal year to be the new kid) and the only friend I had was my music player.

This is not to say you're wrong... I have plenty of thoughts on where JP & co. might have used a second pair of eyes when lyric-writing over the past several albums... but just, one's trash lyric is another's treasure.  :)

I loved that line also because my music player is so integral to my lifestyle that I can listen to two full runs of TA in a day. That's how much time I spend listening to it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: February 01, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »

Pringka this is better than anything we officially got so far, certinly better than the trailer they gave us, great work dude  :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Segue Myles

« Reply #1305 on: February 01, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
I heard this when it leaked. It's taken a week, I really hated it at first. But now I think it's grown on to to become an actual possible favourite!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1306 on: February 01, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
I'm going to make my dream fan-edit of the Astonishing, It'll be interesting, I'll get back when I'm done  ;D
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: February 01, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
Our New World is one of my least favorite songs on the record, kinda surprises me to see people rank it so highly. I love the guitars, sure, but the chorus is boring and they say "world" more times in it than Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1308 on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »

Bands usually bring songs to a proper end when playing live, even if the studio version fades out.

Interesting to notice that some songs that fade out and that we all imagine or want that they could go on forever, in fact, they seem to finish truly a little time after the end of the fade out. I'm thinking about the Rush live version of Mission and the instrumental version of DT The Best of Times... I wouldn't be surprised with the recorded version of A New Beginning lasts only a bit  more, like 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:17:41 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #1309 on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
Also, two or three songs contain in-song NOMAC sounds, yes?  It feels like they're present in that abrupt transition in "Savior in the Square," and one Act II song I can't think of at the moment... also, whooshing noises in the overture I assumed were NOMACs.  Anyone able to back me up on this?
I believe the song in Act II you are looking for is "The Path That Divides".
Thanks, that's the one!  For reference, the timestamps where I'm noticing NOMACs:
Dystopian Overture: 1:12
Savior in the Square: 3:25
Path That Divides: 0:36

Anyone able to figure out what the choir is singing in those stabs around 3:20 of "Savior in the Square"?
are you sure it is sound of NOMACS?? I think that's sound of... umm, I dont know what it is, some kind of flying machines the realm family ride when they traveling to ravenskill.

you can see it here

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #1310 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
Has anyone been able to figure out what is that choir singing in the final seconds of Three Days, right after the tango section?
All I could make out was "Judgment Day is coming...."
I believe it's "Judgment Day is coming and you've only got three days... just three days!"
well, I think that is right lyric for the choir  :tup

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #1311 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
Pringka this is better than anything we officially got so far, certinly better than the trailer they gave us, great work dude  :tup
Thankyou man  ;D
But I still hope second video from astonishing website page is a great animation video, I always hope it will be Dystopian Overture Video Clip  ;D

I'm going to make my dream fan-edit of the Astonishing, It'll be interesting, I'll get back when I'm done  ;D
What it is? Video, audio or pic?? Cant wait it man  :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1312 on: February 01, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Our New World is one of my least favorite songs on the record, kinda surprises me to see people rank it so highly. I love the guitars, sure, but the chorus is boring and they say "world" more times in it than Asian Kung-Fu Generation
Yeah same, I mean I like it well enough but I definitely don't find it one of the exciting tracks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1313 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »
I really like that "freedom if we live or if we die" moment on a better life. Wish it happened more

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1314 on: February 01, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
There's only a couple of albums that I'm as excited about as this one, 2015 was an amazing year for music, but this album keeps growing on me on every listen, I know I'm kinda getting ahead of myself but I can very easily see this album being top half DT material, might even crack the top 3.

Like I predicted though, the 'standout' tracks of the first few listen won't be as shockingly good as they were on first listen compared to the other songs, songs like Three Days and Lord Nafaryus, I still love Three Days very much though.

Don;t want to derail but what came out in 2015?  I feel like I missed out.

Here you can find some of DTF's faves: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44941.0
Highlights in the end for me were The Dear Hunter - Act IV, Native Construct - Quiet World and Periphery - Juggernaut.

Back on-topic: Just came back from a local music store and I got the salesman to check out The Astonishing with my convincing words  :metal

Thanks.  Will have to check some of those out.  The only ones that I remembered off the top of my head were Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Faith No More.

With the Dream Theater and Megadeth releases this early in the year....I think this year will be even better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1315 on: February 01, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »
Thankyou man  ;D
But I still hope second video from astonishing website page is a great animation video, I always hope it will be Dystopian Overture Video Clip  ;D

You will find out what it is soon...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1316 on: February 01, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
There's only a couple of albums that I'm as excited about as this one, 2015 was an amazing year for music, but this album keeps growing on me on every listen, I know I'm kinda getting ahead of myself but I can very easily see this album being top half DT material, might even crack the top 3.

Like I predicted though, the 'standout' tracks of the first few listen won't be as shockingly good as they were on first listen compared to the other songs, songs like Three Days and Lord Nafaryus, I still love Three Days very much though.

Don;t want to derail but what came out in 2015?  I feel like I missed out.

Here you can find some of DTF's faves: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44941.0
Highlights in the end for me were The Dear Hunter - Act IV, Native Construct - Quiet World and Periphery - Juggernaut.

Back on-topic: Just came back from a local music store and I got the salesman to check out The Astonishing with my convincing words  :metal

Thanks.  Will have to check some of those out.  The only ones that I remembered off the top of my head were Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, and Faith No More.

With the Dream Theater and Megadeth releases this early in the year....I think this year will be even better.
Symphony X =Underworld is a fantastic album from 2015!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: February 01, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »

You will find out what it is :soon:

:emo:

Fingers crossed Petrucci was lying about there being no behind the scenes and it's 2 hours and 10 minutes of studio footage

:drool:

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #1318 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
Thankyou man  ;D

at least give us a little spoiler  :sad: :sad: :sad:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1319 on: February 01, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
I can't even imagine how dragged out a 3 Act version would be.

It would have allowed space for more music to balance the narrative and cater to traditional Dream Theater fans, not talking about myself.

Really late response, but yea that's fine but I think that would've been a huge mistake. Part of this album's strength is how focused it is. Everything on there is in service to the story, music and lyrics. I have to give them a ton of credit for that, it takes a lot of restraint and focus to pull it off.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1320 on: February 01, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Thankyou man  ;D

Do you know something we don't Bosky?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1321 on: February 01, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
I am seeing very little chatter about Dystopian Overture, probably them doing another overture isn't as chatter-worthy as much of what they did elsewhere on this record, but the middle section where the orchestra plays one of the main themes followed by the full band coming back in with the choir singing is freaking AWESOME. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1322 on: February 01, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
I am seeing very little chatter about Dystopian Overture, probably them doing another overture isn't as chatter-worthy as much of what they did elsewhere on this record, but the middle section where the orchestra plays one of the main themes followed by the full band coming back in with the choir singing is freaking AWESOME. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I think it's their best overture. My favorite part is definitely the last section with  Jordan's synth lead and the choir, but the whole thing is great.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1323 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »

that's because most of the chatter is being done by machines. :neverusethis:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: February 01, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »

that's because most of the chatter is being done by machines. :neverusethis:

ZING. :lol :lol

I think it's their best overture. My favorite part is definitely the last section with  Jordan's synth lead and the choir, but the whole thing is great.

I can't go that far - it's hard to top Overture 1928 -  but it's pretty great.

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #1325 on: February 01, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
Thankyou man  ;D

Do you know something we don't Bosky?
Look like he does,
I have to admit it, second video & NOMACS eyes almost frustrated me  :lol

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1326 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:27 PM »
I can't go that far - it's hard to top Overture 1928 -  but it's pretty great.
Overture 1928 was formerly my favorite. It has now moved down to second place. Both are great!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1327 on: February 01, 2016, 08:31:53 PM »
A thought on the live production of this album. I mean, I love JP and all, but it would do the show a great disservice to have him as the only other singer to JLB. A few really skilled backup singers would just push this album over the top.

Thoughts?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: February 01, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »

I'm only on my second listen.  I feel like the overture will be much more amazing once I get all the musical themes on the album.  The second listen and I am already much more enjoying the album since instead of following the story like I did the first time, I am just really enjoying the music.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: February 01, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »

You will find out what it is :soon:

:emo:

Fingers crossed Petrucci was lying about there being no behind the scenes and it's 2 hours and 10 minutes of studio footage

:drool:

But he said there is footage but not in the schedule to release it......  ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E