Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518375 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1155 on: February 01, 2016, 04:54:46 AM »
Yes. The album is best enjoyed digested in small doses.

It will produce easy to manage nuggets...

..which you can then flush away in the toilet of memory ???

I dunno where this is going tbh.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1156 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:30 AM »
Yes. The album is best enjoyed digested in small doses.

It will produce easy to manage nuggets...

..which you can then flush away in the toilet of memory ???

I dunno where this is going tbh.

Well, are you talking to yourself? Because YOU made that remark! :rollin :rollin :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: February 01, 2016, 04:59:48 AM »
I just hope people don't dismiss TA as "too much to digest" this early into the digesting process. The very best albums and pieces of music don't reveal everything immediately. You still find little moments you never spotted before, sometimes years after your first listen.

??? Did i ?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1158 on: February 01, 2016, 05:06:41 AM »
I just hope people don't dismiss TA as "too much to digest" this early into the digesting process. The very best albums and pieces of music don't reveal everything immediately. You still find little moments you never spotted before, sometimes years after your first listen.

??? Did i ?

Ooops! My bad!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline emtee

« Reply #1159 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:09 AM »
These shows could end up being JLB's most difficult ever. He will need lots of tea and honey.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1160 on: February 01, 2016, 05:11:49 AM »
These shows could end up being JLB's most difficult ever. He will need lots of tea and honey.

Yes, all that is gonna be tough to say the least.

B.Lee

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1161 on: February 01, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »
Wow. The third time listening to this and it's definitely a grower. Finally a lot of the melodies are coming to life that I didn't hear the first time. LaBrie is on fire is doing his best work to date which for me is great, always loved his smoother voice. A Savior In The Square just turned out as a favorite, which is a bit surprising :)

Offline Enalya

« Reply #1162 on: February 01, 2016, 05:34:04 AM »
Still loving the album. Up until now Three Days is my favourite song, it just has it all. And that laugh is just amazingsexycool.

Offline Art

« Reply #1163 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:50 AM »
The album keeps getting better and better here. A Tempting Offer is a song that i´ve just discovered how much i like it.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1164 on: February 01, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
I loved this from 1st listen, but after 7, things are musically fitting together, and it just keeps growing to notches unknown! :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1165 on: February 01, 2016, 06:08:40 AM »
While most of the "songs" are pretty good, I just don't like the way they're only 2 minutes long before giving way to random excerpts from other songs and then just stopping. Most of them are just stitching together the same half-dozen refrains in different orders anyway.

It's a hugely ambitious project, sure, and very cleverly done, but after listening to it over the weekend, I'm not sure their reach doesn't exceed their grasp.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1166 on: February 01, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »
After a first listen last Friday, with headphones and booklet, I'm now trying a casual listen. It's a very good album, but still way too much to digest. I don't even know a fifth of the album. Most of it feels like new material, though it's my second listen.
I'm gonna need another 10 listens before I can make my mind up.
After 5 full listens and another listen of a handful of songs, I feel I've got a pretty good grip on the album now. Obviously there will be all sorts of details to listen out for (I hadn't noticed Faythe's theme in The Walking Shadow until I read about it here, for example).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1167 on: February 01, 2016, 06:11:27 AM »
There's only a couple of albums that I'm as excited about as this one, 2015 was an amazing year for music, but this album keeps growing on me on every listen, I know I'm kinda getting ahead of myself but I can very easily see this album being top half DT material, might even crack the top 3.

Like I predicted though, the 'standout' tracks of the first few listen won't be as shockingly good as they were on first listen compared to the other songs, songs like Three Days and Lord Nafaryus, I still love Three Days very much though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1168 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
While most of the "songs" are pretty good, I just don't like the way they're only 2 minutes long before giving way to random excerpts from other songs and then just stopping. Most of them are just stitching together the same half-dozen refrains in different orders anyway.
Not everyone will dig that, for sure, but I don't think the way you've put it is very fair. JP wrote a narrative, and then they put the music to that narrative, so recurring themes represent characters and situations. So it's not a case of the same refrains popping up at random; it's about what's happening to the characters and the story.

I think it actually works very well. Ok it makes it harder to dig into an individual song in some ways, but then there are some great themes that come back later on. A great example is Evangeline's theme - in A Better Life, it comes as a bridge section late on and isn't repeated. On its own I might have thought it was a waste of a great chorus, but then it reprises in The X Aspect. It makes sense narratively, and is great when it comes back.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: February 01, 2016, 06:16:44 AM »
The one thing bugging me is that a few of the tracks have that same slow-down crescendo ( rallentando ? )  as if they were ending an epic.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1170 on: February 01, 2016, 06:19:52 AM »
Yes, but if you look at something like Les Mis, each of the characters has a "signature theme" that pops up throughout the musical. But when each of those characters sings their spotlight song, those songs are self contained and "uncontaminated" by the other themes. It's just what is annoying me at the moment. I'm loving songs like A Life Left Behind, for example, but then there's the Arrabelle/Darius bit at the end, and it kind of spoils the flow of the song as a whole.

Just my $0.02.

Perhaps it would help if I started thinking of this as one 130 minute piece of music.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1171 on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »
The one thing bugging me is that a few of the tracks have that same slow-down crescendo ( rallentando ? )  as if they were ending an epic.

It is the BUG effect...nevermind  :biggrin:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: February 01, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »
Not everyone will dig that, for sure, but I don't think the way you've put it is very fair. JP wrote a narrative, and then they put the music to that narrative, so recurring themes represent characters and situations. So it's not a case of the same refrains popping up at random; it's about what's happening to the characters and the story.

I think it actually works very well. Ok it makes it harder to dig into an individual song in some ways, but then there are some great themes that come back later on. A great example is Evangeline's theme - in A Better Life, it comes as a bridge section late on and isn't repeated. On its own I might have thought it was a waste of a great chorus, but then it reprises in The X Aspect. It makes sense narratively, and is great when it comes back.

I found the Faythe Theme in The Walking Shadow quite obvious, but it can be because Faythe's theme stood out quite soon for me, it is just pure beauty.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1173 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:33 AM »
So far I'm loving the album and I haven't even started the second disc yet! I'm really going to take my time and absorb the first disc this week and dive into disc 2 this weekend. That way it's like getting two new DT albums! I'm 3 listens in to disc 1 and it gets better every time. My 3 year old is even singing the "Evangeline" part from A Better Life. The melodies are stuck in my head. James sounds incredible. Way too early to rank but I think it will be up there.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1174 on: February 01, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
The twenty seconds following 1:22 in Lord Nafaryus might be the most annoying, unpleasant piece of audio DT has ever released. Other than that, I really like this album.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1175 on: February 01, 2016, 07:06:17 AM »

Yes, all that is gonna be tough to say the least.

B.Lee

I'm wondering if they're going to play to a click track and have some vocal parts be triggered..

Offline thosava

« Reply #1176 on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
I believe i read/saw/heard an interview where he said that some vocal lines would be playback. This was to make it more like a conversation, and not have him standing there talking to himself.

Offline craig1928

« Reply #1177 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:27 AM »
I believe i read/saw/heard an interview where he said that some vocal lines would be playback. This was to make it more like a conversation, and not have him standing there talking to himself.

yeah JLB said it on the metalsucks podcast, said 99% of it will still be him though

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1178 on: February 01, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Yes, but if you look at something like Les Mis, each of the characters has a "signature theme" that pops up throughout the musical. But when each of those characters sings their spotlight song, those songs are self contained and "uncontaminated" by the other themes. It's just what is annoying me at the moment. I'm loving songs like A Life Left Behind, for example, but then there's the Arrabelle/Darius bit at the end, and it kind of spoils the flow of the song as a whole.

Just my $0.02.
For sure and I totally get why you and some others wouldn't like it so much, though personally I think your example is terrible as I absolutely adore the end of A Life Left Behind, which completely makes the song for me. That's actually, in my opinion, one of the most coherent and self-contained songs on the album. Kinda reminds me of The Bigger Picture, structurally.

Perhaps it would help if I started thinking of this as one 130 minute piece of music.
Yeah, it might. I'm certainly approaching it that way, but then I tend to approach almost all albums that way anyway regardless of whether they are concept albums or rock operas or not.

I found the Faythe Theme in The Walking Shadow quite obvious, but it can be because Faythe's theme stood out quite soon for me, it is just pure beauty.
Could be partly that, as I don't find that theme so exciting. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1179 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
Holy smokes, I'm really liking this album a lot. Soooo much to digest

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #1180 on: February 01, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »
I get SOOOO pumped when I hear the transition from 2285 Entr'acte to Moment of Betrayal.

Also, this album feels like the most proggy album they have done since SDOIT.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:44:03 AM by Tumdace »

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1181 on: February 01, 2016, 07:40:43 AM »
A Life Left Behind has the most unexpected intro and outro for any ballads ever. I'm in love with Daryus' parts.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline thosava

« Reply #1182 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »
A Life Left Behind has the most unexpected intro and outro for any ballads ever. I'm in love with Daryus' parts.

That was one of the very few weaknesses i found in the album. I would like the full song to use the intro theme, because it's just so incredibly good.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »
I don't envy JLB, he will be missing these nice long water breaks during the next tour, seriously I think it will be the most he ever worked in a DT concert :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1184 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
I don't envy JLB, he will be missing these nice long water breaks during the next tour, seriously I think it will be the most he ever worked in a DT concert :lol

Agreed - this has probably got the highest ratio of vocals to instrumentals of any DT album.

Hope he's got a nice long holiday planned at the end of the tour!  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1185 on: February 01, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »

Agreed - this has probably got the highest ratio of vocals to instrumentals of any DT album.

No doubt about it! I'm sure somebody has figured out the vocal to instrumental ratio for previous albums, and will probably work it out for TA at some point too.
Hopefully the intermission will be enough for it not to be too taxing on JLB.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1186 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:15 AM »
Sorry if this what already mentioned before, but why is Xander sometimes simply called X while all other characters are always mentioned in their full name?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1187 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »
Quite a few of the songs have at least 1 minute of instrumental introduction before JLB's vocals come in. Heaven's Cove's introduction is a good 2:30 long out of 4:19. So there are a few decent breaks for him to run backstage and take on board fluids.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #1188 on: February 01, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »
34 pages to get through, but can I just say now that it only took a second listen for this to go from "Huh, that was an album" to "HOLY  :censored THAT WAS  :censored AWESOME  :censored " I'm super impressed and I can't wait to see this live!

Offline metrojam

« Reply #1189 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
Quite a few of the songs have at least 1 minute of instrumental introduction before JLB's vocals come in. Heaven's Cove's introduction is a good 2:30 long out of 4:19. So there are a few decent breaks for him to run backstage and take on board fluids.

More like damn piano than "instrumental"!! LOL