Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519352 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #1120 on: January 31, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
My wife generally doesn't like DT.  I have to force her or bribe her to let me play DT in the car.  Not anymore!  She really likes The Astonishing (as do I). 

Try it out on your wife or girlfriend.

So glad I bought that extra ticket for my girlfriend. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1121 on: January 31, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Why did Gabriel tell his brother that the NOMAC's were down in Moment of Betrayal?

Because when the NOMACS are down, he could practice his gift of music. He's also basically informing his brother that he is meeting Nafaryus as arranged by Faythe, which was in the lyrics to Road to Revolution:

"He only sees what he desires to see
It took a while but finally he agreed
Though everything did not turn out as planned
If life's a risk
It's worth a chance
I know where there is faith
There's always hope

They'll meet beneath the stars at Heaven's Cove
The ghosts of yesterday
Once filled the lavish stage
Taking our first step down a new road"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: January 31, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »
Do we know that the NOMAC's occasionally powered down?! Do we know Gabriel only sang in their absence?! This is new to me if so.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1123 on: January 31, 2016, 10:12:04 PM »
Do we know that the NOMAC's occasionally powered down?! Do we know Gabriel only sang in their absence?! This is new to me if so.

I think music can not be played when the NOMACs are operating because they emit mind-numbing noises.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1124 on: January 31, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
My wife generally doesn't like DT.  I have to force her or bribe her to let me play DT in the car.  Not anymore!  She really likes The Astonishing (as do I). 

Try it out on your wife or girlfriend.

My wife wouldn't last 30 seconds into the overture!  :\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1125 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »
THIS WAS "PHONED IN"???  Wow.  I just can't imagine even thinking that.  I CAN say that about ADTOE and DT12, but this is too monumental to even consider it.

I'd like to see another band try to put something like this together in the future.  Let me know how it turns out!   :lol

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1126 on: January 31, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
Would any of these songs get played on the radio?  I can imagine Our New World being popular.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1127 on: January 31, 2016, 10:37:41 PM »
"The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness."  Sure this isn't applying to 2016??? haha

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1128 on: January 31, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »
I CAN say that about ADTOE and DT12
You could, and meanwhile I'd say those are 2 of their all-time best albums. Honestly, I can't think of any of their albums as a whole that fit that category (even the ones I don't really like such as SC and TOT).

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1129 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:50 PM »
Who said this album is phoned in?   Curious as I don't remember hearing that.  This was clearly an extremely ambitious effort like it or not.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1130 on: January 31, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »
Just read the back story on the website and started tearing up during Act 2!  :'(  Well written.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1131 on: January 31, 2016, 11:31:09 PM »
Am I the only one who wishes James would do his maniacal laughter at the end of Lord Nafaryus after "Yes we shall see" ? :lol
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1132 on: January 31, 2016, 11:37:22 PM »
I was reading the lyrics while listening and it made for a better experience.

Our New World is easily my favorite song.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1133 on: January 31, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
Sorry if this was already brought up but it is a long thread.

The X Aspect
Incredible Hulk TV end theme

I'm not saying they are the same, just that X Aspect made me think of the Hulk theme so much that it is the "Hulk" song for me now.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1134 on: January 31, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »
Sorry if this was already brought up but it is a long thread.

The X Aspect
Incredible Hulk TV end theme

I'm not saying they are the same, just that X Aspect made me think of the Hulk theme so much that it is the "Hulk" song for me now.
I love the Incredible Hulk theme. I definitely hear the similarity with the first few chords/melody. That being said, it's a pretty simple melody, so I totally see how someone else would have come up with a similar note choice.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1135 on: January 31, 2016, 11:51:21 PM »
"Brother can you hear me
I am just a man
Known across the desert
Beyond the shadows in the sand"  ::)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #1136 on: February 01, 2016, 12:25:36 AM »
Guys, you've already said so many things that I don't know what else I can add...
Just let me say that I really love this album and, maybe it's too early, but at this moment I'd put it in the top 3!!! :metal

Offline thosava

« Reply #1137 on: February 01, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »
Anybody else in love with JP's solo in "When Your Time Has Come" ? Such a melodic moment. :)

I love that part!

Offline thosava

« Reply #1138 on: February 01, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »
Why did Gabriel tell his brother that the NOMAC's were down in Moment of Betrayal?

I've got a feeling that it's another mistake in the lyrics boklet. It makes much more sense if Arhys is the one singing the first two verses, and gabriel the third. That makes it more like a conversation.
Arhys is nervous and hasty in his desicions, and desperatley tells Gabriel there's no time to loose. The parts sounds very much like the talk of a militia leader, and not that of a musical artist.
Then the third verse is Gabriels response to that, noting that his brother was acting very strange.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1139 on: February 01, 2016, 12:54:29 AM »
I thought it made sense because Arhys is about to betray Gabriel, hence being nervous and on edge. Gabriel has a plan, but Arhys has one of his own.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1140 on: February 01, 2016, 01:22:12 AM »

I've got a feeling that it's another mistake in the lyrics boklet. It makes much more sense if Arhys is the one singing the first two verses, and gabriel the third. That makes it more like a conversation.
Arhys is nervous and hasty in his desicions, and desperatley tells Gabriel there's no time to loose. The parts sounds very much like the talk of a militia leader, and not that of a musical artist.
Then the third verse is Gabriels response to that, noting that his brother was acting very strange.

It's not a mistake because that information given by Gabriel of the meeting with Nafaryus (as arranged by Faythe in Road to Revolution) is the "secret sold" by Arhys to Daryus.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #1141 on: February 01, 2016, 01:25:51 AM »
Did anyone get Faythe's theme in The Walking Shadow (When you hear Daryus' walking before accidentally stabbing Faythe)? You hear a choir faintly humming her theme. It's so eeriely done and subtle. And it made one of my favourite songs on it even better.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: February 01, 2016, 02:42:20 AM »
Did anyone get Faythe's theme in The Walking Shadow (When you hear Daryus' walking before accidentally stabbing Faythe)? You hear a choir faintly humming her theme. It's so eeriely done and subtle. And it made one of my favourite songs on it even better.

I don't think it is so subtle, it was the hint that the walking shadow is Faythe.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #1143 on: February 01, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
Really? I always thought The Walking Shadow would refer as Daryus' nickname because of Arabelle's line in A Life Left Behind. Thought it suited him in a badass way.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: February 01, 2016, 03:09:15 AM »
I have no idea what the story is. :lol

I've just been enjoying the music and vocals. I haven't been paying attention to the story at all.

Now I finally have the CD - I can read the lyrics and the song 'planations on the astonishing site :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:19 AM »
"Brother can you hear me
I am just a man
Known across the desert
Beyond the shadows in the sand"  ::)

Funny, I have actually been humming that specific mash-up all morning, and was doing so while scrolling and seeing your post.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1146 on: February 01, 2016, 03:15:42 AM »

I don't think so. Nafaryus presumably powers down the NOMACs to give Gabriel and Faythe the chance to speak/sing, and Gabriel tells Arhys that. All makes sense as is.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1147 on: February 01, 2016, 03:24:56 AM »
From DT website:

"Recognizing his son’s captor to be Prince Daryus and keeping X’s safety in mind, he immediately withdraws any efforts to apprehend the prince and instead asks him what he wants. Daryus makes him an offer that will put Arhys in an extremely complicated and life altering position…If Arhys delivers Gabriel to him, Prince Daryus will in return guarantee the safety, protection and prosperity of Xander for the rest of his life..."

Shouldn't the word "Arhys" appearing in bold above be replaced by "Xander"?

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1148 on: February 01, 2016, 03:28:56 AM »
From DT website:

"Recognizing his son’s captor to be Prince Daryus and keeping X’s safety in mind, he immediately withdraws any efforts to apprehend the prince and instead asks him what he wants. Daryus makes him an offer that will put Arhys in an extremely complicated and life altering position…If Arhys delivers Gabriel to him, Prince Daryus will in return guarantee the safety, protection and prosperity of Xander for the rest of his life..."

Shouldn't the word "Arhys" appearing in bold above be replaced by "Xander"?

Reading it again ... I am wrong ... it should be Arhys... Sorry  :blush

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #1149 on: February 01, 2016, 03:42:47 AM »
So, making use of the Best Songs on TA thread, I tallied which songs showed up the most and listened to the top ten or so.

They were ok.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »
Life imitates art.

My CD was THREE DAYS late :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1151 on: February 01, 2016, 04:28:14 AM »
After a first listen last Friday, with headphones and booklet, I'm now trying a casual listen. It's a very good album, but still way too much to digest. I don't even know a fifth of the album. Most of it feels like new material, though it's my second listen.
I'm gonna need another 10 listens before I can make my mind up.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1152 on: February 01, 2016, 04:49:40 AM »
I just hope people don't dismiss TA as "too much to digest" this early into the digesting process. The very best albums and pieces of music don't reveal everything immediately. You still find little moments you never spotted before, sometimes years after your first listen.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1153 on: February 01, 2016, 04:52:05 AM »
I just hope people don't dismiss TA as "too much to digest" this early into the digesting process. The very best albums and pieces of music don't reveal everything immediately. You still find little moments you never spotted before, sometimes years after your first listen.

Oh yeah, totally. A couple of my favorite albums ever are double albums. I'm looking forward to the process of digesting
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1154 on: February 01, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »

I've give it plenty of chance to digest, I just didn't like the flavour of a lot of it. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.