Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519287 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #840 on: January 30, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
There is not second video...yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #841 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
There is not second video...yet.

I guess we'll see... yes, we shall see.  :biggrin:
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #842 on: January 30, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
I think this is the best Album I have heard in a long time.It's completely different from anything they have done. The story keeps me interested and the music is great. I know it's a lot to take in but I think that is what will make it good for repeted listens. There will always be something new to find. :tup :metal

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #843 on: January 30, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »
In which moments can I hear Richard Chycki's speaking as Lord Nafaryus?
I guess its in Losing Faythe. You can hear a man and women cry in the first line, it must be Nafaryus & Arabelle  :huh:

Offline adastra

« Reply #844 on: January 30, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
Music calmed your soul just lika a drug
Remember bug?

Father is it true
Bug was always you?

What is Bug :D is it Lord Nafaryus's band or sumthing... i'm so lost...
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #845 on: January 30, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
I didn't read the entire thread and I don't yet have the record. I'm curious though; given that I'm more a fan of DT's heavier, metal aspects, will this record do anything for me?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: January 30, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Remember bug?

Father is it true
Bug was always you?

Bug was Nafaryus' nickname as a boy.

"As a very young boy, Nafaryus was always zipping in and out of the palace halls and buzzing around his father's feet trying to get the busy Emperor's attention (hence the nickname ‘BUG')" / from the Astonishing site.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #847 on: January 30, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
Remember bug?

Father is it true
Bug was always you?

It is all explained in the website. BUG is Daddy Naf's nickname given to him by his father.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #848 on: January 30, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Remember bug?

Father is it true
Bug was always you?

His childhood nickname. I got confused as well at first.

I didn't read the entire thread and I don't yet have the record. I'm curious though; given that I'm more a fan of DT's heavier, metal aspects, will this record do anything for me?

If you aren't a fan of the ballads or poppier songs at all, probably not much. Listen to it though, you may like it.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #849 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
I am in the camp of people who wanted something different as I think they went majorly downhill after train of thought.  However, it's not fair to question the people who are critiquing the album and just because dream theater went out on a limb and did something unique doesn't make it void of constructive critiquing.

With that said, I think it's an incredibly refreshing album and by far the best thing they have done since Sdoit.  I don't think it's as brilliantly tight at sfam due to a few too many mediocre ballads.  It's a beautiful yet flawed album that does reveal its many qualities upon repeat listens.  It far exceeded my lofty expectations despite it being a bit too long and having somewhat disjointed and rushed finish on act 2.

I love the album but I think many of the criticisms are fair.  Act 1 is incredible though.  I am hoping act 2 just takes some more time to grow.

Offline adastra

« Reply #850 on: January 30, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
But i don't understand this bit;

"Father is it true
Bug was always you?"

Where had Faythe heard about bug? :D   I first understood that Faythe was listening to music made by BUG with the Ipod she had found.
And she was suprised that BUG was his father.

EDIT: oh.... I read the website... The music player belonged to Bug
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:18:46 PM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 30, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »
But i don't understand this bit;

"Father is it true
Bug was always you?"

Where had Faythe heard about bug? :D   I first understood that Faythe was listening to music made by BUG with the Ipod she had found.
And she was suprised that BUG was his father.

Again, from the Astonishing site.

"It had a strange engraving on the back that simply said, “To BUG”. She didn't know what it meant but that never mattered to her."

https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #852 on: January 30, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
If you aren't a fan of the ballads or poppier songs at all, probably not much. Listen to it though, you may like it.
I appreciate the info. I intend on buying the record regardless, but this sets me up nicely. I love the ballads, the pop stuff a bit less, but I should be OK with this one.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
« Reply #853 on: January 30, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
There's a scream at the end of "My Last Farewell" but I can't quite tell who's supposed to be screaming it. Is it Gabriel or Faythe?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #854 on: January 30, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
So yesterday I listened to my first spin through the iTunes download of the album and loved the music, loved the emotion in James' vocals. Loved the melodies throughout. Listened more for the music than the story, as I had also ordered a "hardcopy" so I could have the lyrics in the booklet. I didn't have the lyrics until later in the day and didn't have time to give it another spin. I just finished my second spin all the way through--this time with lyrics. I have one question, given the context of the story: Did anyone else shed some tears during that ONW riff? Am I the only one? God that opening has got to be my favorite thing DT has ever done. Fucking beautiful. :metal

This album as a whole.... WOW... just fucking WOW!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
« Reply #855 on: January 30, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »
There's a scream at the end of "My Last Farewell" but I can't quite tell who's supposed to be screaming it. Is it Gabriel or Faythe?

It's Gabriel. But once again LOOK AT THE GODDAMN SITE
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #856 on: January 30, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
I just finished listening to the album for the first time. :hefdaddy
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pcs90

« Reply #857 on: January 30, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »
Seriously, I know it's been said like 100 times, but...
READ THE SITE.
It answers so many questions and elaborates on a lot of things only briefly touched on in the lyrics. There's more information on each character as well so it really helps you understand everything. Read the site, listen again and if you're confused on something it will probably make sense at that point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #858 on: January 30, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
The more I listen, the more I realize that this is definitely gonna be a "whole is better than the sum of its parts" kinda album.  That is not to say that there aren't some great songs here; there are.  But this is obviously meant to be listened to as a whole (Captain Obvious, I know :lol).  Even though I have the physical CDs, I already burned the whole thing on to one single CD for my car and plan to live with it for a while and just let it play from start to finish whenever I drive anywhere until I really know all of it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #859 on: January 30, 2016, 12:59:41 PM »
We should have a sticky to the astonishing page as too many  questions are being asked when it's available on the bands website.  Just a suggestion.

Gonna enjoy a nice glass of good whiskey and listen again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

-The scream:  This is the only part of the album where I feel like they kind of "dropped the ball" on presenting the story.  That scream is supposed to be something huge.  And while James does it justice with his voice, this is the one area where I feel like some vocal effects were necessary to portray it as something truly otherworldly that deafened Daryus.  Oh well.

I though about this too, but I think the irony would be that its a scream that's meant to damage his vocal cords, so JL may have opted to not damage his? Only explanation I could think of to spin it.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #861 on: January 30, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »

-The scream:  This is the only part of the album where I feel like they kind of "dropped the ball" on presenting the story.  That scream is supposed to be something huge.  And while James does it justice with his voice, this is the one area where I feel like some vocal effects were necessary to portray it as something truly otherworldly that deafened Daryus.  Oh well.

I though about this too, but I think the irony would be that its a scream that's meant to damage his vocal cords, so JL may have opted to not damage his? Only explanation I could think of to spin it.

Yeah, but then you have ''YOU MURDERER'', so I don't know.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #862 on: January 30, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Btw, does this part from Dystopian Overture sound really familiar to anyone else:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0WnqDoo2Pab

?

Anyone?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #863 on: January 30, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »

James wouldn't have to damage his, though. Like, they could use the same scream but just add effects to it to make it more powerful and dramatic.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #864 on: January 30, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
Finishing up the second disc right now. Listened to disc 1 yesterday. I liked disc 2 more than disc 1 on first listen. The second disc is heavier, but it's all a lot of music so I definitely need more time with it. It's definitely more interesting to me than DT12, and I'll be likely to return to this more often. It seems like a grower, which is usually a good thing for DT. Not much of a fan of the lyrics, and I don't really care about the story, but I never cared about the story from SFAM either, so *shrugs*.

Anyone else feel like they're listening to a late-90s Flower Kings album when listening to The Astonishing, but with JP's chops, JLB vocals, and way heavier at times, but also has uplifting parts not very far away from how I could see TFK playing them; a nice 20+ minute epic at the end of disc 2 (like at the end of TFK's Stardust We Are) would have put this album over the top.

My only gripe is that I've slowly been disliking that Mangini-era guitar sound with Jordan's string sounds doubling them. It's all over this album, but isn't as bad as on DT12.

Illumination Theory tease at the beginning of disc 2 on 2285 Entr'acte???

Offline TL

« Reply #865 on: January 30, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
Man, I'm glad I didn't bank on getting this on Canadian Amazon. They still don't have a listing outside of a $190 vinyl "Import".
It's almost comical how little of a shit Amazon gives about the Canadian market.

Edit: It's not even a question of 'obscurity'. They have a prominent listing for Steven Wilson's new thing in New Releases.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #866 on: January 30, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
Man, I'm glad I didn't bank on getting this on Canadian Amazon. They still don't have a listing outside of a $190 vinyl "Import".
It's almost comical how little of a shit Amazon gives about the Canadian market.

Edit: It's not even a question of 'obscurity'. They have a prominent listing for Steven Wilson's new thing in New Releases.
Amazon is good for stuff that they already have lying around in their warehouse. I've had packages delivered to my door the day I ordered them, or on the weekends, but pre-ordering anything, you can flip a coin as to whether it will be delayed or not.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #867 on: January 30, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
I'm fine with DT staying away from satanic music like metal.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #868 on: January 30, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
I'm fine with DT staying away from satanic music like metal.

Your sentence is like a prog song, you can spend all day dissecting it for which part is sarcastic and which isn't.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #869 on: January 30, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
 :lol :lol
Being serious again.
Probably my greatest issue with the album is 2285 entr'acte being way, waaay too short just for how good it is, and feeling more like an ending to the first CD than an intro to the second one.

Btw, it has a Lord of the Rings goes Nightmare before christmas War inside my head vibe,
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #870 on: January 30, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
What a bloody Brilliant effort!   I have listened through 2 times.   First impressions are that JLB totally OWNS!  JP has performed some of his most emotional yet technical stuff in a while.

Regarding, the middle of ACT 1,  I dont believe there have been a better stretch of songs on a DT album since maybe SDOIT.  A better Life, When you Time has come, Act of Faythe, Brother, Can you hear me, A Life Left Behind (possibly my favorite so far), into Ravenskill, (which from reading the posts is higly underrated thus far.  Ravenskill gave me goosies!.  Give this song some love, people!

An amazing effort, although, alot of work for the listener.   But, it is a labor fucking LOVE.  Great job DT.

Offline craig1928

« Reply #871 on: January 30, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
biggest goosebumps moment?

for me it's the middle of astonishing when the drums back kick in

"Because of you I live again
Now I can be a voice for change"

ahhhh I love this album

Offline OleMP

« Reply #872 on: January 30, 2016, 02:03:27 PM »
Yeah, I think I have to concur. Up until now he's merely been a disappointing reminder of what's lost. Now I'm considering him a detriment, despite perhaps being the most gifted one in an amazingly talented band.

I really don't want to harp on this too long, but yeah, I had the same thought when I was listening to the album. Especially for the softer sections, subtle, organic drumming would have been wondrous and added so much to the songs. But it just stays at the same "bup ... chick", the whole time.

Yes, because When Your Time Has Come and Act of Faythe has "bup...chick" drumming all over. Maybe I am just imagining all those ghost notes.

You are not imagining anything of course, but the Mangini haters/Portnoylovers aren't listening for anything else. It's getting to the point of being so ridiculous that I can't take any of them seriously anymore.

Offline TL

« Reply #873 on: January 30, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »

Amazon is good for stuff that they already have lying around in their warehouse. I've had packages delivered to my door the day I ordered them, or on the weekends, but pre-ordering anything, you can flip a coin as to whether it will be delayed or not.
That's my experience with pre-ordering from them as well.

In this case though, I mean they literally don't have a listing for this CD on their Canadian site. It's not just 'to be released' or 'out of stock'. It's not there at all. Fortunately, I decided to give my business to a local music shop instead.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #874 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
Just bought the album. I haven't listened yet, but it's already a 0/10 for being a digipak.

:P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.