Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518551 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #700 on: January 29, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
Just like 'lovethedrake' said  'On the first act I feel as though the album suffers a bit from the stretch of "Savior in the Square" to "Act of Faythe".   Three songs of not much going on there. '

Kev, I agree that a new beginning is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy   This song could stand alone and please extend that ending.  Also loved the heavy drums on this song.

I do not remember the songs, but I got an uneasy Lion King/disney feeling for a while.

Love the organic sound of the piano

This should be interesting live.  I am sure that London will let us know in a few weeks.  On to disc 2 before bed time.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #701 on: January 29, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
NOise MAChineS

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #702 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »
Is anyone else here pleasantly surprised by the story? The one in Metropolis seemed designed to deliver the twist ending rather than tell a compelling tale, but The Astonishing is the opposite. I like how the story is easy to follow; in only two listens, I've come to understand most of it without looking at the lyrics. It is somewhat complex, has characters with distinguishable personalities and motivations that drive the events, and even contains some moral ambiguity. Sure, it is nowhere near a masterpiece, but it's a lot better than I had expected.

As for the music itself...let's just say that this is easily my favorite DT album since SDOIT. There are numerous memorable sections throughout the entirety of the album, and I never found myself bored at any point. My one complaint is how, after 80 minutes of mostly mellow music, the heavy portion of the album was over too quickly. We have The Path That Divides, The Walking Shadow, and My Last Farewell, and then we're back to the soft stuff.

Standout tracks include A Better Life, Lord Nafaryus, Three Days, A New Beginning, Heaven's Cove, The Walking Shadow, My Last Farewell, Losing Fayth, and Our New World.

I can't wait to see this live in late April.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Chimpi

• DTF.org Alumni
  • JustinSane
« Reply #703 on: January 29, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.

Haha!  Perfect!  I'm all annoyed that Arabelle was so quick to forgive Daryus; it feels so light-hearted.  (Well, I guess since it is his mother, it's much easier that way...)  This is the perfect justice!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #704 on: January 29, 2016, 08:44:04 PM »

I said it before it was released, and I'll say it again...having James sing all the characters was a mistake.  I can't distinguish who is who.  They should have called the album "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing" and brought in different singers for the different parts - that way it's not an "official" DT album, but still recognizes that the band was the source of the album.

No offence, but I personally would have hated that idea. Fine if it were like the minor work Theresa Thompson did on 'Through her Eyes' and 'TSCO' (actually, come to think of it i think there are some female vocals at the end of 'Act of Faythe'), but I think James does just beautifully the way it is.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #705 on: January 29, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »
Just like 'lovethedrake' said  'On the first act I feel as though the album suffers a bit from the stretch of "Savior in the Square" to "Act of Faythe".   Three songs of not much going on there. '

So interesting to see the differing opinions - I actually love that stretch of songs, and 'When your Time Has Come' is one of my album highlights at this early stage. The parts in that song that begin with:  "When you're facing the path that divides....' I simply have not been able to get out of my head all day..  :tup

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #706 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
I find it super interesting that so many people are praising A New Beginning as much as they are - I think A Lie Left Behind, Ravenskill, Chosen, A Tempting Offer,  and The X Aspect are easily more catchy and just all around cooler songs than ANB.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline clinks63

« Reply #707 on: January 29, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »
clinks63 was here..

(from page 1 to 21)

• i've listened to it with the story https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks, reading track by track..i cried a tear on hymn of thousand voices, very disney story but love it overall. for the ballad tracks, i always gone to sing "for the first time in forever..."
  • should it be expected to have more ballads since it was meant to be musical?
  • also wondering about "the third arrives..." connection
  • was expecting more TOT like tracks on some songs, this very SDOIT with SFAM TSCO
  • what governing body will award them for this astonishing album? will they get grammy for this? broadway awards?
  • i also wonder what song is very similar to Our New World

lastly what is the digital player? is it a Walkman or an iPod?
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Deep Sixx

« Reply #708 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »
us

- Everyone is talking about the vibes the get from songs. I'm getting a MAJOR James Bond vibes from 3:12 to 3:30

That's exactly what I was reminded of when I heard that. Glad I'm not the only one.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #709 on: January 29, 2016, 09:25:38 PM »

I said it before it was released, and I'll say it again...having James sing all the characters was a mistake.  I can't distinguish who is who.  They should have called the album "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing" and brought in different singers for the different parts - that way it's not an "official" DT album, but still recognizes that the band was the source of the album.

No offence, but I personally would have hated that idea. Fine if it were like the minor work Theresa Thompson did on 'Through her Eyes' and 'TSCO' (actually, come to think of it i think there are some female vocals at the end of 'Act of Faythe'), but I think James does just
beautifully the way it is.

While I think James does a fantastic job on this album, its almost impossible to distinguish your voice enough to play 8 different characters (unless you are Peter Gabriel who is just a god of all things music) 

I am loving this album so for but I have to admit that I do pine for some more vocal variation.  Its not that James doesn't vary his vocals, but on a true rock opera or musical I think its important to distinguish characters. 

Take the original Jesus Christ Superstar for example.  IMO this is one of the all time great albums ever made and one of the great things about it aside from the amazing melodies is the unique difference between Ian Gillian and Murray Head (Jesus and Judas) and the varying voices of different characters.

In this regard I believe DT was damned if they did and damned if they didn't because I too would have actually been disappointed had I heard that there were different vocalists playing the characters.  For DT, I only want JLB!   I just think it was a crazy tough task.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »
Well....hell....

I AM Astonished...  I've managed to listen to all of Act 1 and the first few tracks of Act 2, before I had to stop.  It's just TOO overwhelming for me as far as content.  During the first part of Act 1 one word just kept surfacing in my mind... "Ambitious!"  Regardless of my final opinion on this effort, I have to give the band a standing ovation.  THIS is Progressive!  And for a band that has been fairly predictable in the last decade plus, this is a serious breath of fresh air.  I believe this ....what the hell do you even call it?...album?, story? Rock Opera? will take quite a few listens for me to formulate any kind of learned opinion.

I will say that after getting this far into my first listen, I have a new found respect for JLB.  I mean holy hell!!!  I can't think of any other rock album, opera, project, that is as vocally ambitious as this in the world of Rock and Roll. At least that I've ever heard.

I Have to actually formulate a plan moving forward as to how I listen to and digest this work.  I think I'll finish the 2nd Act and then break it down into quarters, or 4 acts,  to absorb it effectively.  Focusing on one quarter at a time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #711 on: January 29, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »
I am perfectly fine with JLB doing all of the vocals and characters.  Given that he has appeared on an Ayreon album, having different vocalists for each character would have given it too much of a feel like that project.  A guest vocalist, like on SFAM, would have been neat, but this is fine.

Offline keysmania

« Reply #712 on: January 29, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
first impressions: meehhh
hope it gets better as i give it more spins....(also i am biased in that i have never really listen to DT for their lyrics, im an instrumental fan)
the production i havent been a big fan of thier last several albums... the guitar tone is rich and thick, drums are compressed as always, bass is smooth, labrie seems to be soaring in his game, the orchestrations feel a little out of place but im most disappointed by the keyboards, which sounds very muffled and buried beneath everything else

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #713 on: January 29, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
I am perfectly fine with JLB doing all of the vocals and characters.  Given that he has appeared on an Ayreon album, having different vocalists for each character would have given it too much of a feel like that project.  A guest vocalist, like on SFAM, would have been neat, but this is fine.

I totally agree.. I like Ayreon but I DID NOT want this to sound anything like Ayreon.   That's why I said Damned if they do damned if they don't because I think a majority of the fans (like myself) wanted this to predominantly be our main man James Labrie but its just tough to pull off a one man musical.   Although I think they still did a fantastic job vocally.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #714 on: January 29, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »
ok, ive listened to it back to back 10 times, and my new conclusion is that this album is... Astonishing!  :loser: sorry, im not sure if anyone has made that joke already

10/10, album of the year

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #715 on: January 29, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
So this may have been discussed already, but... the second video on the website was just the same video again? xD
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #716 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
Claudio Sanchez would be a great Nafaryus.   Steve Perry could be Gabriel (in his prime)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #717 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
okay so am I the only one who thinks the story kind of gets hopelessly derailed in the second act? they start out with "the NOMACs are off, tonight the revolution begins" and then we get Arhys going "oh crap maybe i shouldn't betray my brother" and then he gets killed be Daryus and Gabriel and then Faythe show up just so Faythe can get stabbity stabbed and then the rest of the album is about feeling sad about how Faythe is dying until she doesn't die and then everyone is happy except Daryus who decides to not exist for the rest of the album after the stabby stabbing ????

i mean the plot was predictable as hell for the first act, sure, but serviceable

am i just missing something here though? i haven't read the long story page but i'm about to and maybe that'll clear something up but it seems like the story decided to stop being coherent for the last third of the album or so  :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #718 on: January 29, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »
i haven't read the long story page but i'm about to and maybe that'll clear something up

You should. It fills in a considerable amount of blanks  :tup

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #719 on: January 29, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
Moment of Betrayal kicks ass... and I hated this song after like 5 listens.  Now within the context of the album its so badass. 

The bizarre thing for me is the way I now feel about MM's drumming on this song.  Its amazing.  He kills it on this song and at first I didn't like it.

also the youtube version that was released from the eddie trunk show had terrible quality which I think is what the issue was.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #720 on: January 29, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
duplicate

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #721 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:10 PM »
After my first listen I was in doubt, thinking that it was too slow, and that it would be quickly forgotten.
During the second list, I started digging more, wanting to know what was on it.
The third arrived. I listened to it with headphones and reading the story notes (https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks) and I can only say... I'm astonished! Serious potential to be the best record ever.

I have a question, though: Reading the info linked above, apparently Xander was never kidnapped!! Why would Arhys comply with Daryus if the kid wasn't kidnapped?

Edit: This part of Dystopian Overture is basically the theme from Luigi's Mansion

Very interesting!! This was a great theme, and I couldn't pinpoint if it was because I knew it or because of its own qualities. (I never played the original, only Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Do you know if the theme appear there?)

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #722 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
I haven't had time to go through the whole thread, so, sorry if this has been mentioned.
I just noticed that the first minute=+ of "A Savior in the Square" is "Our new World". :eek

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #723 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
I haven't had time to go through the whole thread, so, sorry if this has been mentioned.
I just noticed that the first minute=+ of "A Savior in the Square" is "Our new World". :eek

I noticed it right away, but that might be because I listened to A Saviour in the Square dozens of times before I ever heard Our New World. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #724 on: January 29, 2016, 11:02:10 PM »
How the fuck is JLB going to pull The Path That Divides live?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #725 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
How the fuck is JLB going to pull The Path That Divides live?

I thought the same my first listen. He's gonna have to shorten the length of the last lines a lot?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #726 on: January 29, 2016, 11:09:48 PM »
I am perfectly fine with JLB doing all of the vocals and characters.  Given that he has appeared on an Ayreon album, having different vocalists for each character would have given it too much of a feel like that project.

Which is why I suggested DT not release it under the DT banner in my original post that was only partially quoted.  If it was only two or three characters, ok.  But eight is too many to distinguish.  That's a big reason Ayreon and Avantasia are so digestable.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #727 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Just finished my second full spin of the album. 

I would rank Act 1 a 9/10  and Act 2 about a 5/10.    There is something missing from Act 2...   It doesn't have the same level of ambition.

I hope my third listen lends itself to a better Act 2 experience.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2016, 11:11:58 PM »
Crushing pain and crippling grief
Nothing like I’ve ever felt
God above and souls beneath
Hear my last farewell!

I expected this part to be a reprise of Moment of Betrayal chorus.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #729 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »
I am perfectly fine with JLB doing all of the vocals and characters.  Given that he has appeared on an Ayreon album, having different vocalists for each character would have given it too much of a feel like that project.

Which is why I suggested DT not release it under the DT banner in my original post that was only partially quoted.  If it was only two or three characters, ok.  But eight is too many to distinguish.  That's a big reason Ayreon and Avantasia are so digestable.

Still on my first spin, but I agree with this sentiment. Would much rather prefer an ensemble of vocalists for a project like this. Not that JLB is doing a bad job, just that without the liner notes, I'm going to have a hard time knowing which character is "speaking" on subsequent listens.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »

On my first run..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #731 on: January 29, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but can somebody clarify to me why the micro-site for the album simply put the trailer in the second video slot as well....? surely this is  mistake?
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #732 on: January 30, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »

Not much going on there musically or story-wise? That set of songs set up the meeting between Gabriel and Faythe, Gabriel sang the song that moved Nafaryus, introduced us to the backstory of Faythe. The meeting was also the pivotal point which led to the later story developments driven by Nafaryus noticing how Gabriel became fond of Faythe.

Musically, Savior in the Square was the first song that had multiple musical themes depending on which character is focused on. The set of songs also introduced two important musical themse: the piano melody representing Faythe, and the intro to Savior in the Square which would be reprised in Our New World. That second musical theme seems to represent the union of Gabriel, Faythe and Nafaryus, as it appears in the scenes where they are all together for the gift of music.

A lot are also saying that the ending is very Disney. The question is, what Disney movies actually had the bad guys turning good in the end? Disney movies are pretty BRUTAL when it comes to bad guys, they almost all end up falling off a cliff and dying a violent death.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:00:53 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: January 30, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »
Done, simply blown away.. DT has once again treated me to sonic ecstasy,,
So much to process, countless more playthroughs required.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: January 30, 2016, 01:54:00 AM »

I'm not knocking JLB's ability to sing, just the ability to sing so many distinct characters - something I wouldn't expect anyone to do effectively to be honest.

I agree with Mason here. One of the things that detracts my enjoyment of the album is the fact the characters are indistinguishable for me without a lyric sheet. I mean, Nafaryus is perfectly distinguishable because he always has some crazy musical theme behind his parts, but that's about it.

Another thing is I felt the album was too bloated and I think this album didn't need to be over two hours long.

However, after two listens I think some parts are really fantastic, like Lord Nafaryus (I knew I would like this song when I heard the title :lol ) or Three Days, and some songs are also really good like Ravenskill and Moment of Betrayal, which works much much better in context of the album. On the other hand, the overture and the final song left me disappointed a bit.

Still, overall, might be the best album DT had since Systematic Chaos for me. Need to listen more to digest the whole thing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.