Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519686 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »
What the hell is happen with second video in Astonishing Website !!???
We wait for a long time for second video unlocked, and when they unlocked it, they just put the same video there !???
I've been try to refresh that page for almost 20 hour to see if the update the page and put a true second video, but it zero !!  :facepalm: :'(

AND WHAT DO THE CLICKABLE EYES DO

You have to click both eyes at the exact same time.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
This is cheesy as hell, but when Faythe found the music player and had a life changing moment, I went "I can totally understand you!" I have my earphones on at least four hours a day and I get the metaphor of the music player being some sort of haven. Anybody else had this cheesy reaction?  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
Well, after finishing the album and taking a breather from it and doing other stuff, I feel that this was a strong album, of course.  There are some gripes that people may legitimately have.  Yes, there are really a few absolute stand-alone songs in this really long album and, yeah, I did wish for certain parts of the album to have some more heaviness to it (and I'm not one that always wants a balls to the walls sound in every album I hear).  That stated, DT really committed hard on the concept of what they want to show and, when people do things like that, the consensus will be polarizing indeed.  I like it very much on first listen.  I just hope the album ages really well and when I listen to it again in whole, which probably will be a long time from now, maybe the overall experience will be much better than before (which was fine already on first listen though).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
I have listened to the full album five times, my shortened eleven-song playlist listened to six times, and Our New World maybe twenty times.  :lol

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: January 29, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »
Mangini's drumming is amazing on this record.

Also this is awesome:

The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #670 on: January 29, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »
The album was interesting. Gonna need many more listens , overall I enjoyed it. The story was cool and got me during the epic second act.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2016, 05:56:17 PM »

Also this is awesome:

The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.

So that was the fate of Daryus. Freaking HD Tracks only has the front cover PDF in the download.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »
This is cheesy as hell, but when Faythe found the music player and had a life changing moment, I went "I can totally understand you!" I have my earphones on at least four hours a day and I get the metaphor of the music player being some sort of haven. Anybody else had this cheesy reaction?  :lol
You're not the only one. Cheesy yes, but also very relatable in the current day world.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
Hey does anyone know whats up with the second video on the Astonishing mini site? Right now it looks like the same as the 1st one the trailer. :huh:

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »

Also this is awesome:

Its all on the mini site! https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

So that was the fate of Daryus. Freaking HD Tracks only has the front cover PDF in the download.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Only about 1/3 of the way through so far, but I am liking it a lot so far.  Love the cinematic feel of it.

The Answer, A Savior In The Square and Brother, Can You Hear Me? are the ones that have really stood out so far. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2016, 06:04:27 PM »
I found it awesome when someone described the tango jazz sound I thought of Diablo Swing Orchestra and they have parts in that vein.

Act 2 has more Balls but Act 1 has more variety in style.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #677 on: January 29, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
You're not the only one. Cheesy yes, but also very relatable in the current day world.

I am looking at the concept now from a distance, and if I view this as a metaphor, I can see a VERY beautiful metaphor. And I find the musical choices in the metaphor interesting. Electronic sounds as the metaphor for noise, prog and melodic elements as the gift of music, metal as some sort of middle ground to noise and music. And I especially love that the old musical styles used in the album (jazz, swingtime, tango) were related to the old man Nafaryus who used to listen to music back in the day.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
Great album. Didn't like it much at first, but now I love it. Definitely a grower.

I honestly don't understand how people think they can judge a 2 hour long progressive metal/rock album based on one listen.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2016, 06:09:38 PM »
Btw, does this part from Dystopian Overture sound really familiar to anyone else:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0WnqDoo2Pab

?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #680 on: January 29, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
I like how there's TWO different tango sections in Lord Nafaryus. First on the "what the hype is about" part, more fast paced and intense and then at the end of the track on the "to witness this great spectacle first hand" which is slower and more dramatic. I absolutely love this track!

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #681 on: January 29, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
I just notice something annoying me when I check The Astonishing Artwork from Jie Ma
When I look at Daryus face, its feel like different, and I found my feeling is true !!!! Hahaha
So, did Daryus have plastic surgery so his face got more handsomeness now?? Hahahaha  :rollin

From left is Old Daryus and from right is New Daryus  :lol

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
The only way this album could be better is by having more Nafaryus.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #683 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:03 PM »
Just thought I'd post to let people know there's a listening party / chat going on for the album. I know there's a thread for it but not everyone may have seen it:
https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/01/27/dream-theater-the-astonishing-launch-party-simulisten-7pm-cet-and-7pm-cst/

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #684 on: January 29, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
I just notice something annoying me when I check The Astonishing Artwork from Jie Ma
When I look at Daryus face, its feel like different, and I found my feeling is true !!!! Hahaha
So, did Daryus have plastic surgery so his face got more handsomeness now?? Hahahaha  :rollin

From left is Old Daryus and from right is New Daryus  :lol

I guess Photoshop still exists in 2285.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #685 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
Here is what I like about this album:  never in a million years would I seek out this kind of music on my own.  I don't watch musicals or listen to opera.  DT has really exposed me to (dare I say it!) a new world of music.

I doubt DT will ever read this post, but if they do, I sincerely thank you.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #686 on: January 29, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
Here is what I like about this album:  never in a million years would I seek out this kind of music on my own.  I don't watch musicals or listen to opera.  DT has really exposed me to (dare I say it!) a new world of music.

I doubt DT will ever read this post, but if they do, I sincerely thank you.

Mate - you need to listen to the 1996 version of Jesus Christ Superstar by the London cast. It'll blow your tits off.

This 2000 version of this song is the best though - that deep voice is off the chain. This musical is badass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo81UqO54dg
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #687 on: January 29, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
I'll be honest, getting through disc 1 was a struggle - but I was in a car and couldn't follow along in the book.  But I'm usually not home when I listen to music, so that's still going to be a big strike against because that's just not something that is going to be easy to do often.

I said it before it was released, and I'll say it again...having James sing all the characters was a mistake.  I can't distinguish who is who.  They should have called the album "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing" and brought in different singers for the different parts - that way it's not an "official" DT album, but still recognizes that the band was the source of the album.

I'm not knocking JLB's ability to sing, just the ability to sing so many distinct characters - something I wouldn't expect anyone to do effectively to be honest.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #688 on: January 29, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »
Just to make sure (and too lazy to look through all the pages and check)... I'm not the only one who hears the similarities between the intro to Heaven's Cove and the intro to On The Backs of Angels, right?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RJ86

« Reply #689 on: January 29, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Only got to listen through once so far, but different. And a good different. The song that really caught my attention was Moment of Betrayal.. Amazing song!!
I think I am really going to like this album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #690 on: January 29, 2016, 06:38:15 PM »
I said it before it was released, and I'll say it again...having James sing all the characters was a mistake.  I can't distinguish who is who.  They should have called the album "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing" and brought in different singers for the different parts - that way it's not an "official" DT album, but still recognizes that the band was the source of the album.

I'm not knocking JLB's ability to sing, just the ability to sing so many distinct characters - something I wouldn't expect anyone to do effectively to be honest.

But you can sort of distinguish the characters if you combine them with the musical themes of the characters:

Arhys - soaring rock oriented vocals; rock, prog, marching music
Gabriel - gentle airy vocals with some soaring vocals from time to time; mostly accompanied by acoustic guitar, and some melodic prog rock
Nafaryus - gruff vocals; heavy music with references to "older styles" of music (tango, jazz, swing)
Daryus - rough vocals; mostly metal
Faythe - very gentle and soft vocals; distinct piano melody

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #691 on: January 29, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »

But you can sort of distinguish the characters if you combine them with the musical themes of the characters:

Arhys - soaring rock oriented vocals; rock, prog, marching music
Gabriel - gentle airy vocals with some soaring vocals from time to time; mostly accompanied by acoustic guitar, and some melodic prog rock
Nafaryus - gruff vocals; heavy music with references to "older styles" of music (tango, jazz, swing)
Daryus - rough vocals; mostly metal
Faythe - very gentle and soft vocals; distinct piano melody

Xander - "YOU MURDERER!!!"
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #692 on: January 29, 2016, 06:53:14 PM »
Wow, the end of A New Beginning is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #693 on: January 29, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Poor Xander. The only character with less dialogue than him is a dead character  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
I'm about to listen to the album for the first time. I've avoided all of the leaks online this week. And I've stayed off DTF for the past few days to avoid the possibility of reading any spoilers or reviews -- including this thread, which i've read none of. I'm blindly posting. I know this is a huge album for the band creatively, and I've wanted my listening experience to be perfect. You can only listen to an album for the first time once. I just picked up my copy from Best Buy. I'm about to set the lighting just right and have a drink to relax me. I'm pulling out my headphones right now. My heart is racing. It's time for me to experience The Astonishing...

(Deep breath)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #695 on: January 29, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
Just got through my second spin of ACT 1.   Could we have asked anything more from these guys?    There were about 5 moments that literally brought tears to my eyes.   Not because the parts were sad, but because I never thought we would get to experience an album full of inspiration like this from DT again.   The level of inspiration and effort that went into this album is just so incredible!!!!

This is not a perfect album by any means, however, there is SOOOO much to love.    On the first act I feel as though the album suffers a bit from the stretch of "Savior in the Square" to "Act of Faythe".   Three songs of not much going on there.

However, it quickly makes up for it with THREE DAYS which is just incredible, fun, theatrical, badass, unique etc....

I found the following songs to be great:

Dystopian Overture (amazing... could it really be better than 1928?)

The Gift of Music- awesome vocal opener

Three Days- One of the most fun and one of the best DT songs

A life left behind- super catchy and pretty

The X Aspect- Reminds of the Truman Show and Jurassic Park combined with Dream Theater

A New Beginning- One of the best DT songs ever written and incredibly fun

So excited about this album.   They definitely did NOT dissapoint here.   There are some moments where I think a melody or two fall flat but overall this has massively blown away expectations.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #696 on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »
Listening to the first 40 or so minutes, then taking a break. With an album this big, a single continuous listen from start to finish would be a lot to take in. I'm pacing myself. Just finished "Act of Faythe". Decent so far.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #697 on: January 29, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
Ok, everyone is welcome to their opinion but to actually say that there are no songs on TA is pretty ridiculous.

Absolutely. If there's one thing you can say about this album for sure, it's that it has songs.

:P

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #698 on: January 29, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
Just finished up the live simulisten that Noxon hosted at dreamtheater.club.  2nd listen for me.

Simply incredible.  So many moments of sheer bliss on this album.  Im going to need to listen to it a few more times to really grasp it all, but man... I'm feeling really good right now.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Chimpi

• DTF.org Alumni
  • JustinSane
« Reply #699 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
Album finished.
I really loved this album.  I love the scenery represented throughout, the change in character dynamics (through vocal changes, of course), and my goodness I love how much it has overtones of Sgt. Peppers; it's oh-so tasteful.  As a trumpeter myself, I love how they represented Lord Nafaryus and the Empire with symphonic marches and musical chants.  So great.  I fear I can't pick out songs along the way to listen to individually without the desire to listen as a whole.