Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518659 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #630 on: January 29, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
If all you want is BALLS and SHREDDING and BLASTBEATS you will be left wanting.

If you're after actual songs and melody and music and emotions by the bucketload - welcome aboard ! :)

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #631 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »

If you're after actual songs and melody and music and emotions by the bucketload - welcome aboard ! :)

What if I want both?  :P

Nah, kidding, I enjoyed it all the same. There could be more heavier parts, at least on the first CD, though...
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline amatteroflight

• Bird photographer
« Reply #632 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »
It is certainly different to most of their previous work. I am only listening the second time around now.

However, I like it. It's far simpler sounding at this point than the chordgasmic DT compositions of the past.

Good on them for making this album. They could. We can whine and complain about this and that and put our "musician expert" hats on, but at the end of the day, Dream Theater is Dream Theater and they write and record what they want.

So thank you John, John, James, Jordan and Mike for this astonishing musical masterpiece. Yet again!
Leave footprints only….

Offline pcs90

« Reply #633 on: January 29, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »

Exactly why I LOVE this album so much.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #634 on: January 29, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
The drums that go with JP's solo in the ending of "A New Beginning" could be a bit more varied, and when i say a bit i mean A LOT. They drums are so simple on that part, good drumming on that solo would elevate the song to the next level.

:omg: Are you joking ? They work BECAUSE they're so simple. :lol

Couldn't agree more with this!! Also, being a bass player. Thank goodness JMX didn't go crazy here! The constant groove that they carve out makes the guitar solo and jazzy chords work perfectly...IMO! I wanted 10 more minutes of it though.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #635 on: January 29, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »

there aren't songs on this album though, they are more like passages from one to another.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #636 on: January 29, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
Ok, everyone is welcome to their opinion but to actually say that there are no songs on TA is pretty ridiculous.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #637 on: January 29, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
The drums that go with JP's solo in the ending of "A New Beginning" could be a bit more varied, and when i say a bit i mean A LOT. They drums are so simple on that part, good drumming on that solo would elevate the song to the next level.

Couldn't agree more with this!! Also, being a bass player. Thank goodness JMX didn't go crazy here! The constant groove that they carve out makes the guitar solo and jazzy chords work perfectly...IMO! I wanted 10 more minutes of it though.
Yep. I play drums/percussion, and I wouldn't change a single thing Mangini does in that section. He has lots of other places to do more detailed things.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #638 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
Story question/critisism:

Okey, correct me if Im wrong.
So, Daryus kidnapped Xander and threatened to kill him if Arhys didn`t bring him Gabriel. Daryus kills Arhys and almost kills his sister.

In "Astonishing", Arabelle sings:
" My prince, my son
You got lost along the way
In light of this new burden that you face
you are forgiven on this day"

He got off quite easily, dont ya think?  :lol

On the song description page, there is more detail in the story that isn't evident just by the songs or lyrics alone. Yes, while he is forgiven at the end by all, Daryus doesn't exactly get off scott free either. In case some missed it, this is copied and pasted from the description, and adds way more bite to the story:

'While covering X’s ears, Gabriel unleashes a blood curdling scream straight from the darkest depths of the abyss at a level unsustainable to the human ear. Faythe is unaffected due to the protection of her earphones but Daryus is not so lucky. The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.'

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #639 on: January 29, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »
Loosing Faythe guitar solo? Or interlude part reminds me of Surrounded!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #640 on: January 29, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »

Yep. I play drums/percussion, and I wouldn't change a single thing Mangini does in that section. He has lots of other places to do more detailed things.

Exactly...I'm glad they were disciplined here.There are many other places for 'flash', especially earlier in the same song! It's such a great piece!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #641 on: January 29, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
Ok, everyone is welcome to their opinion but to actually say that there are no songs on TA is pretty ridiculous.

MY TA CDS ARE BLANK!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: January 29, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

MY TA CDS ARE BLANK!

OMG PULL ME UNDER II THE PULL ME UNDERING !!!

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #643 on: January 29, 2016, 03:53:11 PM »
The band should read the reviews at Amazon.

Yikes. As a guitar player I'm starting to wonder if the good people at Mesa Boogie are starting to regret slapping a JP name tag (first time they ever did an "artist model" endorsement) on what might well be one of the best amps they ever made (I won't get into the technical details).

And while I kept thinking - wow, even harmonicas, whistling or an accordion couldn't make this any worse - on comes bag pipes. Bag pipes!  :rollin

Why would they possibly regret a JP signature model amp after hearing TA? It has some of JP's best guitar work on it ever. Great chord structure, riffs, solos...This album is signature JP stuff.
Agree with you 110%.  Not suer why they wouldnt love having the JP Signature Mesa.... 

Offline craig1928

« Reply #644 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
what's the most 'most sing-a-longable' song in your opinion?

Act of faythe for me, can't stop  :hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
::) Classic case of " I don't like this ergo nobody else does either "

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #646 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Except TA has the second-most blastbeats ever on a DT album.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #647 on: January 29, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
James' C5 in Ravenskill gives me chills...'passing second' awesome!

BTW: Noxon and Bosk: now everything you both said falls in place...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:06:22 PM by JRuless »

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #648 on: January 29, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
what's the most 'most sing-a-longable' song in your opinion?

Act of faythe for me, can't stop  :hefdaddy

Our new world...  hands down

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: January 29, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
mathewmatt summed it up about as well as I could.

Note....anyone notice 'Tempus Fugit' at the beginning of 'A Life Left Behind'? 
(if it's been mentioned, my apologies)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #650 on: January 29, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »

Tempus Fugit? I hear it now, interesting, but I thought more of The Dregs.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #651 on: January 29, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

Tempus Fugit? I hear it now, interesting, but I thought more of The Dregs.

I'm sorry, I forgot the kink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9j0VfX7QU

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #652 on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
Kink.

Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #653 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
I don't know if this is off topic, but does anyone think Gabriel kind  of resembles Aquiles Priester? 

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #654 on: January 29, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
Kink.

Giggity.

That was purely accidental..... ;) ;) ;)

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #655 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »

I like Dream Theater songs with melody.  Many on this album didn't quite reach songs like "Solitary Shell, Lifting Shadows, Space Dye Vest, or even Hollow Years territory.  I love a good Dream Theater ballad or slow song.  Wait For Sleep is amazing and is pure poetry in music form,  I also really like recent efforts like The Bigger Picture and Beneath the Surface.

These songs aren't as catchy and don;t stand nearly as well on their own IMO. I will give it a 2nd and 3rd listen and I expect to like it better...I just hope that I like it a lot better than I did on the 1st listen.

Still has some solid stuff on the album but I am underwhelmed.  I appreciate that they tried to do something risky though and I can almost guarantee that I will love what they put out next

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #656 on: January 29, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »
A few weeks ago I made a post about me being unsure whether I should get tickets for one of the Dream Theater "The Astonishing" concerts nearby. Having listened to the album a few times now, I'm glad I waited.

The thing is: I really appreciate the fact that Dream Theater tried to do something radically different. But this album just isn't working for me. At all. My biggest problem is that I don't listen to Dream Theater for lyrics and this album is really heavy on story. Which is fine, since it's supposed to be a rock opera, and hey, SFAM was a concept album, too. But the difference is that with SFAM, I could ignore the lyrical content while still enjoying the music itself. "The Astonishing" feels like they put lyrics first and wrote the music later - which is the exact opposite of how they usually write their stuff if I remember correctly. And I feel like that really shines through, especially during the first act which feels like half of the stuff is story with some pretty piano sounds and orchestration in the back.

I'm glad many of you like it, but it's just not for me. There are some moments on this album that I really like (and I love the fact that there is a awesome guitar solo over a super simple 4/4 drum beat at the end of "A New Beginning"), but I feel like if you don't care about the story, this album really drags on and doesn't really have enough bright spots musically to keep my interested. I'm also a little sad that it seems like Mangini and Myung didn't have too much input.

So yeah, thats just my short review. As I said, there are some songs that are really neat ("Three Days" is pretty cool for example) and I'm sure I will be listening to the album a few more times over the weeks, but overall, so far, I'm really disappointed.

Edit: This part of Dystopian Overture is basically the theme from Luigi's Mansion
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:00:52 PM by EraVulgaris »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #657 on: January 29, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »

These songs aren't as catchy and don;t stand nearly as well on their own IMO. I will give it a 2nd and 3rd listen and I expect to like it better...I just hope that I like it a lot better than I did on the 1st listen.

I don't think any of the songs were meant to be strong on their own, it's all part of the cohesive experience.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #658 on: January 29, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
I love that we're almost up to 20 pages overnight!  :lol
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #659 on: January 29, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »
Man, the intro of A Savior in the Square is just so beautifully gorgeous. And I love when it moves into this epic regal sounding part :metal

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #660 on: January 29, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
Dystopian Overture: 2:46 sounds very Overture 1928 /SFAM to me...

"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #661 on: January 29, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »
Spotify doesn't tell you which character says what :(
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #662 on: January 29, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
What the hell is happen with second video in Astonishing Website !!???
We wait for a long time for second video unlocked, and when they unlocked it, they just put the same video there !???
I've been try to refresh that page for almost 20 hour to see if the update the page and put a true second video, but it zero !!  :facepalm: :'(

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #663 on: January 29, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »

Exactly...I'm glad they were disciplined here.There are many other places for 'flash', especially earlier in the same song! It's such a great piece!!

This is a fine example of MM and JM really playing to what the song NEEDS. No need to call attention to themselves.

For those who think MM's drumming is simple, in this album, just listen closely to three songs: A New Beginning, A Life Left Behind, and Three Days. Listen intently on what he is highlighting at any given section, notice how the toms are played melodically (not just up and down, they actually follow the melodies of the other instruments), notice parts where the cymbals highlight JR while the other limbs are doing other things, and then the speed.

If you notice those in the three songs I mentioned, you would find that these elements in the drumming are all over the album.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #664 on: January 29, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »
What the hell is happen with second video in Astonishing Website !!???
We wait for a long time for second video unlocked, and when they unlocked it, they just put the same video there !???
I've been try to refresh that page for almost 20 hour to see if the update the page and put a true second video, but it zero !!  :facepalm: :'(

AND WHAT DO THE CLICKABLE EYES DO
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.