Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519171 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #595 on: January 29, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
Not digging this yet. Where's the metal? I wasn't expecting a whole album full of slow to mid tempo ballads

They have 12 other albums for you to enjoy.

#HopeThisHelps !

Offline Enalya

« Reply #596 on: January 29, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
Btw, 'Begin Again', big Christmas vibe at the end lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #597 on: January 29, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »

That's the part a friend and me like to call 'the Disney theme'. It's amazing, and it puts a big big smile on my face.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #598 on: January 29, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »

So true!
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #599 on: January 29, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

1. Best album of the Mangini era.

2. Best album of the Road Runner era.

3. Both ?
Neither. For me this doesn't stack up to my top tier of DT albums (Six Degrees, I&W and ADTOE). Bit hard to tell at this stage, but I can see if settling in my second tier, along with Awake, FII and Black Clouds.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #600 on: January 29, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
The moral of the story: if Faythe hadn't had her headphones in, then Nafaryus would still be a dickhole of a leader.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #601 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »

That's the part a friend and me like to call 'the Disney theme'. It's amazing, and it puts a big big smile on my face.

That's funny, since I thought exactly that in Act I during 'The Answer'. Love it tho.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #602 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:36 PM »
I think we can agree that there's lot of Disney in here, and makes sense given JP just told in his reddit answers that he's a sucker for Disney movies.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #603 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
I'm probably more of a metalhead than...3/4 of the users here, and I don't really understand the "TA has no metal!" outcry (from the few with that viewpoint). JP has so many huge riffs, and MM's drums make much more of a metallic impact than they do on the previous two releases. Almost every song hits on metallic territory at some point, and it's always memorable when it goes there. I'll take that all day in comparison to the hit-or-miss riffing and oft-directionless soloing of the post-MP era.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #604 on: January 29, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »
For any dystopian-based good ole fashioned riffage, you can check out Megadeth's 'Dystopia' album, just released as well.

:millahhhh
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #605 on: January 29, 2016, 03:08:55 PM »
A neat little thing I thought was cool is how Daryus is envious of Nafaryus' better relationship with Faythe.

If you listen to the Nafaryus song, he doesn't even refer to Daryus by name!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Mustaine - now there's someone who *IS* smothered in FX because his voice is shit...

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #607 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »

Like "Do they know it's Christmas?" From Band Aid.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #608 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
I think we can agree that there's lot of Disney in here, and makes sense given JP just told in his reddit answers that he's a sucker for Disney movies.  :D
Yeah but the most Disney song is definitely The Answer.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

1. Best album of the Mangini era.

2. Best album of the Road Runner era.

3. Both ?

Probably both, yes.

4. Best album of their career?  :corn

NO WAY MAN SYSTEMATIC CHAOS HAD GROTESQUE CREATURES BATTLE

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #610 on: January 29, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »
I'm probably more of a metalhead than...3/4 of the users here, and I don't really understand the "TA has no metal!" outcry (from the few with that viewpoint). JP has so many huge riffs, and MM's drums make much more of a metallic impact than they do on the previous two releases. Almost every song hits on metallic territory at some point, and it's always memorable when it goes there. I'll take that all day in comparison to the hit-or-miss riffing and oft-directionless soloing of the post-MP era.

I mean, there's metal sprinkled here and there but for the most part it's almost entirely absent. It's very orchestra based and light; you can have huge riffs and metal-oriented drums and still not be metal. I don't see the 'little-to-no-metal' thing as bad though. They've more than established themselves as being able to do both straight up metal along with prog-metal so I'm absolutely all for this kind of music. I don't think there is zero metal but I can't see how anyone would say it's not extremely light on metal.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: January 29, 2016, 03:15:41 PM »
I *REALLY* like the "West Side Story" section of A New Beginning...  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Enalya

« Reply #612 on: January 29, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
I mean, there's metal sprinkled here and there but for the most part it's almost entirely absent. It's very orchestra based and light; you can have huge riffs and metal-oriented drums and still not be metal. I don't see the 'little-to-no-metal' thing as bad though. They've more than established themselves as being able to do both straight up metal along with prog-metal so I'm absolutely all for this kind of music. I don't think there is zero metal but I can't see how anyone would say it's not extremely light on metal.

I agree. I also think it's okay and fitting for this album. But hey, more chance for the next album to be heavy all over :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #613 on: January 29, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »

I really don't agree that the metal is absent... at all. I'm completely with Frenemies on this one. To me there's at least as much "metal" as there is "ballad", yet a small number of people have been bemoaning there being too little of the former and too much of the latter. I don't get it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #614 on: January 29, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
29th January, 2016. The day our forum's namesake band releases brand new music. A special day, that's for sure! These days don't come round very often, so it's worth savouring.

If you're planning an evening listen to the new album over in the Americas, I hope you all enjoy it.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #615 on: January 29, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »
Hey guys, long time since posting here . . . had to come back to see what y'all were saying about The Astonishing :biggrin:

I've listened to it twice already. It took some time to adjust to DT's new stylistic choice, but the more I listen to it the better it gets! I went from "What is this" to "hmm. interesting" to "OMG I'm gonna listen to this over and over and over again!!!" :lol

Any of you guys have a similar experience?
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #616 on: January 29, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »

4. Best album of their career?  :corn

NO WAY MAN SYSTEMATIC CHAOS HAD GROTESQUE CREATURES BATTLE

When I first heard that song I thought of the LOTR -  Two Towers
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline escruting

« Reply #617 on: January 29, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
The drums that go with JP's solo in the ending of "A New Beginning" could be a bit more varied, and when i say a bit i mean A LOT. They drums are so simple on that part, good drumming on that solo would elevate the song to the next level.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #618 on: January 29, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
Well it's been fun guys, now everything is out in the open, everything is unlocked, we've heard the album, we've got a story to analyse, been a great few months here on DTF, I'm not leaving but thanks guys!!  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: January 29, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
The drums that go with JP's solo in the ending of "A New Beginning" could be a bit more varied, and when i say a bit i mean A LOT. They drums are so simple on that part, good drumming on that solo would elevate the song to the next level.

:omg: Are you joking ? They work BECAUSE they're so simple. :lol

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

I agree. I know the solo is incredible but the simple drum beat driving that section was my favorite part.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #621 on: January 29, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »

Yeah definitely agree with you here. The simplicity really stuck out and I thought it was very well done.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #622 on: January 29, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
I have already written this elsewhere, but my current first thoughts (yeah, late to the party, but still):

So, me and my wife we finished it. It was pretty exhausting. Some notes:

- The story's okay. Nothing exceptional and you definitely don't have to worry about spoilers or whatever, but it didn't offend me the slightest (that was my main concern beforehand)

- For a band lke Dream Theater (whatever that might mean to you), releasing an album like this is a ballsy move.

- There might be a tad too much ballads (especially in the first act), but I think repeated listens will help.

- I now definitely want to name my firstborn "Jordan".

- The Andrew L. Webber - especially Jesus Christ Superstar - influence is very strong, especially on tracks like Lord Nafaryus or Three Days.

- You can dislike the album (and I can imagine many people who will), but that's your (or my) problem, not the album's - the effort, the energy and the craft put into this monster is undeniable. I would have nothing but respect for the guys even if I didn't beforehand.

- I will need about twenty more listens to even make an opinion - if I said about any album it's a lot to take in at once, I really didn't know what I was talking about. This is just... massive. Like, I tried to concentrate on in, read the lyrics and glide through the accompanying materials... and I have a solid headache, even if the story's not that complex (as I've already written above)

- James overdid himself, true, but I really don't know how does he want to sing this on the whole tour. I think he will be dead by the seventh date, and that's not a put down - most singers would be.

- I don't know what you people are smoking, Mike was totally cool (as usual), in fact, much more decent than on any of the previous two albums, IMHO.

- However, JMyung disappeared somewhere.

- Now, when I've already had the "experience", I can finally listen to the album on repeat and dissect it some more and I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe not tomorrow, though.

- And yes, it's a musical. Yet, it's very DT. I couldn't image how that would be even possible, but it is.

- Also, if anyone tried out the album based on the two "singles", he's in for a bitter disappointment. Both songs sound great in the context of the album, however.

Highlights after the 1st listen:

Dystopian Overture, Lord Nafarius, Act of Faythe (I think), Three Days, Brother Can You Hear Me, A New Beginning, 2285 Entr'acte, Moment of Betrayal, The Path That Divides and the title track.

Also - this is anything but your standard DT. Whether it's good or bad, I don't know yet, but whatever aspect of the band you like, there's nothing really that similar, I give them that. In fact, I believe this is as far from typical DT as possible for it to be still considered "their" album.

P.S. - excuse any typos or whatever, please, I'm a regular zombie right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:38:55 PM by matthewmatt »
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
The moral of the story: if Faythe hadn't had her headphones in, then Nafaryus would still be a dickhole of a leader.

I love you so much right now, Scorp!  :rollin

Finished my first complete run through...albeit while working. I'm really looking forward to an uninterupted spin tonight!

What a fun experience.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline escruting

« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »

Yeah definitely agree with you here. The simplicity really stuck out and I thought it was very well done.
I agree that it works, but i do miss a bit more variety, not necessarily meaning more complexity. Just my opinion.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #625 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
Agree with all the above. There's plenty of other passages for MM to show off (to great effect). His simplicity there is just perfect for that passage.

JR's comparative restraint also makes for a refreshing change. It doesn't feel like he overwhelms you with notes, playing million-note flourishes every couple of bars.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:02 PM »
2nd complete listen through and more songs are starting to stand out now :)

Offline escruting

« Reply #627 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »

I agree that it works, but i do miss a bit more variety, not necessarily meaning more complexity. Just one more beat (or something like that, i'm not a drummer) every time X part is repeated 3 times in a row exactly the same, for example. Just my opinion.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #628 on: January 29, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
I still do not have the cd, but should by tomorrow.  Seems like a love it or hate it crowd.  Will be interesting how the 'old farts' (myself included) will respond.  Hef, lone star, etc. :laugh:
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #629 on: January 29, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »
So last night I listened to Act one (around 1-2 am) now I'm listening to Act two (this is the fourth playthrough) on my stereo full fucking volume and the stand out tracks REALLY BLOW ME AWAY!!!  :metal  :metal  :metal

I haven't enjoyed a modern DT album this much in a long time, still not a fan of the ballads though..
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!