Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519105 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #560 on: January 29, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »
I cannot pick a single favourite individual track. There are so many. I've lost track of how many times I've got goosebumps over the last 2 hours or so. Dream Theater have done it again.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2016, 02:16:16 PM »
I cannot pick a single favourite individual track. There are so many. I've lost track of how many times I've got goosebumps over the last 2 hours or so. Dream Theater have done it again.

It is really tough to choose. Yeah, the goosebumps were aplenty on my first 2-3 listens.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
One thing I'm really digging about the album is the effort they put into making the music fit the narrative. Fantastic example being the start of A Tempting Offer: it starts with a sweet, innocent piano melody to signify X walking along unknowingly, and then kicks into the same motif in a really dark riff to signify Daryus following behind. Really nicely done, and there are a bunch of moments like that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »

I was in floods for moments of it. How did they manage this when DT12 was not that great ?

If anything this album should have been Dream Theater.

So happy with the production as well. Another dry , hot album would have ruined it.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
One thing I'm really digging about the album is the effort they put into making the music fit the narrative. Fantastic example being the start of A Tempting Offer: it starts with a sweet, innocent piano melody to signify X walking along unknowingly, and then kicks into the same motif in a really dark riff to signify Daryus following behind. Really nicely done, and there are a bunch of moments like that.

That might be my favorite thing about it. I know I keep seeing it get thrown around as both a positive and negative criticism, but I love how it transpires just like a musical.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2016, 02:17:56 PM »
Moment of Betrayal has really grown on me. I love it.

Man, too many great tracks to name them all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 29, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
Also - albums that you love all the way through instantly - you normally get bored of them.

I can see The Astonishing having longevity not only due to it's length but also certain songs will take time to reveal themselves.

My dad told me a long time ago " the songs you love straight away are the songs you get sick of first. "

Which was certainly true in the past...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »

That might be my favorite thing about it. I know I keep seeing it get thrown around as both a positive and negative criticism, but I love how it transpires just like a musical.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's not a traditional "album" per se.

I don't know how well received it will be with Joe Public - but i hope it does well for the band. I'd hate for it to die on it's arse sales wise.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
Trivial, but I encountered a 'hiccup' when transferring the download to disc:  Act 1 would not fit ?!?!?   I checked for errors on my part, compared the times, and then used Excel to total the time.  Well, it is not 78:59, but 79:59.  I had to go back through and remove little bits of silence at the end of various tracks.  Then breathed a sigh of relief.  Wish I was younger, I'd have lit one up for the listen.

:lol  If I was in Colorado I probably would light one up and legally.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
I'm digging that I'm finally putting  Dystopian Overture together with each track...It took a couple of spins.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's not a traditional "album" per se.

I don't know how well received it will be with Joe Public - but i hope it does well for the band. I'd hate for it to die on it's arse sales wise.

That's where I stand. I mean, a band like DT doesn't really rely on album sales anyways, so it isn't like I expect the world to come crashing down and them cancel the tour, but I won't lie when I say that I'm glad that the concerts have been on sale for quite awhile before people heard the album.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #571 on: January 29, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »
Whoa! I'm Astonished. Thank you masters for this proggy cinematic experience.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: January 29, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »
Getting through it for the first time...now on Hymn of a Thousand Voices and I have to say that I like it.  I'm definitely more into the metal'er side of music, but DT did such a good job "preparing" me for what was to come that I wasn't expecting ToT.  There are some songs that are just okay, but I haven't really found one I absolutely don't like.  Great riffs, good and appropriate solos (yeah, too bad the fade out on JP's solo in Act 1), and I love how everything just fits in the context of the story.  One listen and I'm liking it, so I'm sure it will grow on me even more with more listens.

I'm really excited to hear Our New World for the first time as a lot of folks have already commented what a great song that one is!

EDIT:  Our New World!!!!!   :metal :metal :metal

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #573 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »
Our new World reminds me a lot of Rush, more so than any other single DT song. I'm surprised that nobody made that remark yet.
No way, not as much as The Best of Times or The Looking Glass.

I was going to say "Don't Look Past Me" and"The Looking Glass"

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #574 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
Perfect!  Thanks.  Do we have higher res pictures of the characters and places too?

You can find them on the artist's site here:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BvaXz
And the hi-res version of the cover check here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/K13BR

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #575 on: January 29, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
Just finished my first listen to The Astonishing. I really look forward to getting to know the album better in the coming weeks and months, particularly picking out where musical themes reoccur. Blown away by it.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #576 on: January 29, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »
Well the new record has been streaming on my devices for the past 24 hours.

Im blown away - what a record .

A modern Classic. Once again - its great to be there at the start of a record that history will judge as a monument to the group .

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #577 on: January 29, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
Our new World reminds me a lot of Rush, more so than any other single DT song. I'm surprised that nobody made that remark yet.
No way, not as much as The Best of Times or The Looking Glass.
:facepalm: My brain failed to dig up Looking Glass as I was recalling past Rush similarities. I guess this shows how little I have listened to DT12 over the past two years.
OK, this makes it the second most Rush-like song in my book. The Best of Times never reminded me of Rush ???

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: January 29, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »

That's where I stand. I mean, a band like DT doesn't really rely on album sales anyways, so it isn't like I expect the world to come crashing down and them cancel the tour, but I won't lie when I say that I'm glad that the concerts have been on sale for quite awhile before people heard the album.

A live DVD / BR of a special one-off show with full orchestra and choir ( a la Breaking The Fourth Wall ) would help I think.

They'd only need to do it for one night so shouldn't cost as much as having 100 extra people for an entire tour.

I mean - this HAS to be a DVD doesn't it ???

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:35:45 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: January 29, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

1. Best album of the Mangini era.

2. Best album of the Road Runner era.

3. Both ?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

3. Both ?

4. Best album of their career?  :corn

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:21 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

3. Both ?

BOTH!!

Offline Peter Griffin

« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
this is astonishing.

:hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »

NO WAY MAN SYSTEMATIC CHAOS HAD GROTESQUE CREATURES BATTLE

Offline Yesmaestro

« Reply #584 on: January 29, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
Thank god I can stream The Astonishing because Road Runner STILL hasn't sent me a download link for the files yet. Unbelievable.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #585 on: January 29, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
I think it's their best album since Systematic Chaos, by a considerable margin. I'm not yet sure where it ranks, but it's top 4.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
I think it's their best album since Systematic Chaos, by a considerable margin. I'm not yet sure where it ranks, but it's top 4.

It's definitely in the top 5 of my favourite 8 albums :neverusethis:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #587 on: January 29, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »

Thoughts, everyone ?

3. Both ?

Yes. I'm not so sure I'll be able to take anything else they've written seriously again
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #588 on: January 29, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »
Perfect!  Thanks.  Do we have higher res pictures of the characters and places too?

You can find them on the artist's site here:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BvaXz
And the hi-res version of the cover check here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/K13BR
Whoaa !!! Thanks a lot brother !!!  :tup

Offline Enalya

« Reply #589 on: January 29, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
Listening to it right now for the first time and I'm just blown away.. Damn what a brilliance going on. I was so pleasantly surprised by the 'jazzy' prog feel in some Nafaryus parts - some parts remind me of Haken, which is a great thing.
And James' performance is just outstanding :hefdaddy Okay a month 'till the concert /time ticking

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #590 on: January 29, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
I'm only about halfway through disc one. Already liking it more than the last album, which wasn't really my cup of tea. Not a single moment I haven't like so far!
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #591 on: January 29, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
This is one of DT's most consistently good releases. It's ridiculous how everything feels in place.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #592 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
This is one of DT's most consistently good releases. It's ridiculous how everything feels in place.

THIS^^^^

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #593 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Not digging this yet. Where's the metal? I wasn't expecting a whole album full of slow to mid tempo ballads

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: January 29, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »

Well the story was written over a couple of years then John and Jordan wrote music to match the story so it should do :)

* One slight caveat with the album. A few too many songs end on the "slow down and crescendo". But it's a minor niggle.