Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519848 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #525 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »

Offline V_R11

Seasons change and so can I

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #527 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Eight songs in so far.  It's really hard to pick out a stand-alone favorite song above all of the stuff I heard, at this point, but this has been an very enjoyable listen thus far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: January 29, 2016, 01:25:39 PM »
Yeah it's a lot to take in but I was never bored.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #529 on: January 29, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

The song explanations are up!

Wow !!! It also have clearer GNEA map !!
Where?  I'm not seeing it.

The map published by F.E STANHOPE & CO
Who are they?
Perfect!  Thanks.  Do we have higher res pictures of the characters and places too?
No, but we have full body of them along with the explanation about who are they. Just click character in website astonishing  ;D

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #530 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
I appreciate the band taking big risks and doing something different...I just would rather hear songs that stand on their own that aren't part of a concept.  This is coming from a guy that loved Scenes, Six Degrees, and Savatage albums like Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan.

This is how I feel as well, and one of the reasons I had some trepidation about this album. SFAM for example, while it has a couple of tracks basically useless as stand alones (Regression, Through My Words) and a couple I'd probably only listen to as part of the full album (One Last Time, Through Her Eyes), it also has songs that are perfectly great to listen to on their own. Strange Deja Vu and Fatal Tragedy at worst have endings that lead into the next song but are still standouts on their own, and Beyond This Life and Home stand up among DT's best songs whether you listen to them alone or in the album. With so many tracks, including such short songs and songs very much there to provide information about the story, I wasn't sure whether there would be many songs that would hold up well on their own. A 2+ hour continuous listen with a story is good too, but I'd love it if the songs worked in both contexts.

Hearing the album, I think my concerns were definitely warranted, but there are definitely some good songs there so it will take a lot more listens to see where the album stands.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #531 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »
I doubt that I've ever heard anything as cheesy as the story behind The Astonishing.

It's pretty good musically though, only a little too ballad-heavy for me. A New Beginning, Three Days, Moment of Betrayal and Our New World are tentative favourites, but I'm sure that will change with subsequent listens.

The story though... not a big fan of it.

THE HEALING POWER OF MUSIC AND LOVE CAN MAKE EVERYTHING ALL RIGHT AGAIN AND NOBODY WILL EVER SUFFER AGAIN, EVER, FOR ETERNITY, YEAH.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline V_R11

« Reply #532 on: January 29, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
I doubt that I've ever heard anything as cheesy as the story behind The Astonishing.

It's pretty good musically though, only a little too ballad-heavy for me. A New Beginning, Three Days, Moment of Betrayal and Our New World are tentative favourites, but I'm sure that will change with subsequent listens.

The story though... not a big fan of it.

I'll second that
Seasons change and so can I

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
My Last Farewell - A SHREDDING RUDESS SPOTTED :rollin \m/

Im glad we saw SOME Rudess shred at some point. I always liked his solos, but I think in this album even their haters will admit they are in good taste, and not too wankery.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »

*snip*
Who are they?
Perfect!  Thanks.  Do we have higher res pictures of the characters and places too?
No, but we have full body of them along with the explanation about who are they. Just click character in website astonishing  ;D
Yup.  Those were helpful in understanding the characters and their relationships to others.

I know there must be hi-res pictures of the characters because when they were revealed on their Instagram, they were just a small snippet of the larger one.

Hopefully, they'll show up soon, along with the places - (Although we do have one of Heaven's Cove - didn't know that is what it's called at the time)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
I don't want to sound like a teenager on twitter ...but Our New World is actually perfect :lol

Oh My Gosh.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »
I've only listened once so far, but I'm lukewarm on the album. From a 'rock opera' point of view, it's very well arranged and the story explanations by track on the Astonishing website make it easy to follow the story. I just feel as though there aren't many great songs that stick out musically, in my opinion, except for maybe "Moment of Betrayal" and "Three Days".

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #537 on: January 29, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
I don't want to sound like a teenager on twitter ...but Our New World is actually perfect :lol

Oh My Gosh.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

One of my faves as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »

*snip*
Who are they?
Yup.  Those were helpful in understanding the characters and their relationships to others.

I know there must be hi-res pictures of the characters because when they were revealed on their Instagram, they were just a small snippet of the larger one.

Hopefully, they'll show up soon, along with the places - (Although we do have one of Heaven's Cove - didn't know that is what it's called at the time)
Yes, they have it, but not upload it, or yet
But, of course they give us Hi Res pic of the place, here it is

GNEA

Ravenskill

Heavens Cove

NOMACS

Sketch NOMACS

Emblem

Sorry if my post too long, I dont know how to make spoiler  :facepalm: :hefdaddy

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
I appreciate the band taking big risks and doing something different...I just would rather hear songs that stand on their own that aren't part of a concept.  This is coming from a guy that loved Scenes, Six Degrees, and Savatage albums like Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan.

This is how I feel as well, and one of the reasons I had some trepidation about this album. SFAM for example, while it has a couple of tracks basically useless as stand alones (Regression, Through My Words) and a couple I'd probably only listen to as part of the full album (One Last Time, Through Her Eyes), it also has songs that are perfectly great to listen to on their own. Strange Deja Vu and Fatal Tragedy at worst have endings that lead into the next song but are still standouts on their own, and Beyond This Life and Home stand up among DT's best songs whether you listen to them alone or in the album. With so many tracks, including such short songs and songs very much there to provide information about the story, I wasn't sure whether there would be many songs that would hold up well on their own. A 2+ hour continuous listen with a story is good too, but I'd love it if the songs worked in both contexts.

Hearing the album, I think my concerns were definitely warranted, but there are definitely some good songs there so it will take a lot more listens to see where the album stands.

I agree. It seems like you need to listen to the whole album in it's entirety, a rather daunting task at a run time of 2+ hours

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
I've only listened once so far, but I'm lukewarm on the album. From a 'rock opera' point of view, it's very well arranged and the story explanations by track on the Astonishing website make it easy to follow the story. I just feel as though there aren't many great songs that stick out musically, in my opinion, except for maybe "Moment of Betrayal" and "Three Days".

Agreed. It's definitely enjoyable, but nothing really stands out to me aside from about 3 or 4 tracks.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #541 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
lol I was just trying to get that last image myself and I came here to see it. How did you get it ?
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
I definitely don't love Our New World as much as a lot of people seem to. I mean, it's a really nice, upbeat song, but I don't find it anything special. I think for me, part of the reason the ending loses steam is that the last few songs are all kind of middle-of-the-road (tonally, not in terms of quality) upbeat songs. It makes the ending just feel really drawn out - as I said in the survey that Implode is running, very Peter Jackson esque!

That said, I don't really get the "too many ballads" complaint that a small number of people are making, but then I can only assume people include upbeat pop rock songs as ballads when they aren't. Apart from the drawn out ending, I think the pacing is actually really good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
Thanks a bunch, pringkaarwanda!  That is awesome.  I know there are others here that appreciate this too.

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
I definitely don't love Our New World as much as a lot of people seem to.

Same. I mean, it is cool but nothing groundbreaking. I don't even think it will get in my top 10 songs from the album. Still, to each their own.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
Halfway through Act 2 now (just past a major dramatic point). It's occurred to me during Machine Chatter that the NOMAC tracks remind me of the interlude between Panic Attack and Never Enough on Octavarium.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
Our new World reminds me a lot of Rush, more so than any other single DT song. I'm surprised that nobody made that remark yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
Not getting much sleep last night didn't help but I was in bits listening to that song. AND I'M NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT  :sadpanda:

Offline gm5k

« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
Just for fun and apart from the enjoying the album straight through, it's kinda cool to end "Savior In The Square" at around 1:30 and start "Our New World"  ;D  Surprised I didn't notice the similarity until right now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
hey guys what if the astonishising was one cd ?!?!

:vomitard:

Offline gm5k

« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »
 ;D  I know it's a theme/motif. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #551 on: January 29, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
I have to agree... these songs put the previous album to shame.
Wow, that is saying alot! I love DT 12 probably more than most on this forum.  I have to wait another week to hear TA, my local record store forgot to order it and I requested it a week ago..

I reccommend getting it on HDtracks.com!
Thanks for the heads up..  I don't have a computer at the moment, just a Android phone. I have to wait for the cd next Friday. There are no best buys in my area and I seriously doubt Wal-Mart will have it. My local record store is only open Thursday through Saturday..lame!

Just an FYI.  When the last DT cd came out, our Walmart had copies.  Of course it may depend on what part of the country you are located and they may not have it right away.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline GandL

« Reply #552 on: January 29, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »
So far I listened to it 3 times, each time a better experience than the preceding one, and I really enjoyed the first listen. I cannot say yet which one I like most, looks like it's changing after each listening. For me it is a great album that will rank with my top ones.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
Our new World reminds me a lot of Rush, more so than any other single DT song. I'm surprised that nobody made that remark yet.
No way, not as much as The Best of Times or The Looking Glass.

OH AND ALSO, I remember the other thing that bugs me. **SPOILERS** The placement of Machine Chatter is really bizarre. I need to read those detailed explanations on the official website, but it seems really weird how Daryus kills Arhys, then there's a minute of NOMAC noise, and *then* Xander gets angry at Daryus.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »

Ok, first post...Yes, I agree. It almost "feels"(not sounds) like The Analog kid of the CD. So, my music store here in Cleveland had this in on Wed.  sitting there on the counter...SWEET and I've done nothing but listen over and over and over...This might end up waaaaaay up there on my list of favs, but that won't be decided until every note is covered and it settles through the listening process.

Greetings ALL!!

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
lol I was just trying to get that last image myself and I came here to see it. How did you get it ?
All you have to do is playing with page source  :tup ;D

Thanks a bunch, pringkaarwanda!  That is awesome.  I know there are others here that appreciate this too.
You're welcome my brother !!  :tup ;D
I'll post here again if I found something interesting in web page  :metal

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #556 on: January 29, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
I tried that way. But I couldn't quite make it :d Thanks man!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: January 29, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
No way, not as much as The Best of Times or The Looking Glass.

OH AND ALSO, I remember the other thing that bugs me. **SPOILERS** The placement of Machine Chatter is really bizarre. I need to read those detailed explanations on the official website, but it seems really weird how Daryus kills Arhys, then there's a minute of NOMAC noise, and *then* Xander gets angry at Daryus.

Since the album is not quite gapless - you could almost re-sequence the album in a playlist to your liking :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #558 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
Since the album is not quite gapless - you could almost re-sequence the album in a playlist to your liking :)
Oh for sure - I also considered whether I should just scrap the title track and have it as a separate song. But I do prefer to listen to albums as the artist intends them, so I don't think I will.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #559 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »
Systematic Chaos now has a friend on my "rarely listened to DT albums".

I hoped it wasn't going to be as bad as I thought, but no.  What a disappointment.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?