Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 519573 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #490 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #491 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
The band should read the reviews at Amazon.

They seem either very high or very low. Not surprising in the least.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #492 on: January 29, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

I've been noting those too. It's pretty clear people either love or hate this album, with not much middle ground.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #493 on: January 29, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
Currently at "Brother, Can You Hear Me?"

Wow! This is incredible so far! Following along with the writeups on each track on The Astonishing website, which add considerable extra depth to the story.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #494 on: January 29, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »

Why should they?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #495 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »
My local record shop had the new album stocked last night. Went out and bought it, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Going for a run soon, likely going to put it on headphones. Is it good running music?
If you pretend you're Nefaryus and listen to Three Days, then maybe.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #496 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »

Yikes. As a guitar player I'm starting to wonder if the good people at Mesa Boogie are starting to regret slapping a JP name tag (first time they ever did an "artist model" endorsement) on what might well be one of the best amps they ever made (I won't get into the technical details).

And while I kept thinking - wow, even harmonicas, whistling or an accordion couldn't make this any worse - on comes bag pipes. Bag pipes!  :rollin

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #497 on: January 29, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »

Yikes. As a guitar player I'm starting to wonder if the good people at Mesa Boogie are starting to regret slapping a JP name tag (first time they ever did an "artist model" endorsement) on what might well be one of the best amps they ever made (I won't get into the technical details).

And while I kept thinking - wow, even harmonicas, whistling or an accordion couldn't make this any worse - on comes bag pipes. Bag pipes!  :rollin

Why would they possibly regret a JP signature model amp after hearing TA? It has some of JP's best guitar work on it ever. Great chord structure, riffs, solos...This album is signature JP stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
:bosk1:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: January 29, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »

Why would they possibly regret a JP signature model amp after hearing TA? It has some of JP's best guitar work on it ever. Great chord structure, riffs, solos...This album is signature JP stuff.

Imagine being a TAMA executive and hearing St. Anger.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
*SPOILERS for the ones who haven't listened to the whole album yet*

Am I the only one who is mildly infuriated that the album doesn't end with "Astonishing", but with "Again"?
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline JRuless

« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

Are you making fun out of John Petrucci on this fanforum? Sorry I don't like your style... at all

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
Trivial, but I encountered a 'hiccup' when transferring the download to disc:  Act 1 would not fit ?!?!?   I checked for errors on my part, compared the times, and then used Excel to total the time.  Well, it is not 78:59, but 79:59.  I had to go back through and remove little bits of silence at the end of various tracks.  Then breathed a sigh of relief.  Wish I was younger, I'd have lit one up for the listen.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Mesa does not regret endorsing one of the world's most respected guitarists.

To your second point, this is actually the most tasteful use of an orchestra and "alternative" instruments that I've ever heard in prog/metal music.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »

Just a hunch. This album is going to go down as DT's "The Elder" or "Rock me tonight". And the fact that "Rolling Stone" likes it is more of an indicator since they're almost always wrong about everything.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »

^^^This^^^ - and I actually thought St. Anger was at least a risk well taken.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

The song explanations are up!

Wow !!! It also have clearer GNEA map !!
Where?  I'm not seeing it.

The map published by F.E STANHOPE & CO
Who are they?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
Begin Again... a sappy little song :lol. Not in a bad way though. In keeping with the album.

The Path That Divides now.....

Offline genome

« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
The opening guitar in Heaven's Cove sounds a LOT like the opening guitar in On the Backs of Angels.

It sounds like "Is There Anybody Out There?" from The Wall IMO

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2016, 12:58:39 PM »
I'm a strong believer that good art divides; stuff that stands the test of time usually causes passion and hatred in equal measure. If I was in Dream Theater I'd actually be much happier with a bunch of 5 and 1 stars rather than a load of 3s or 4s.

Anyway I'm digging this album a lot. It does a lot of things I've wanted DT to do in ages; experiment, broaden their sound, ambitious, proggy.

However it's just too long for me. Whilst it's awesome I can (very) occasionally sit down and take in the whole story, I will be making my own "abridged" version for general listening.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
It's not too late...!!!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »

:lol True

Seriously though, whether you like TA or not, JP sounds great on it and it gives no reason for any endorsement company to regret anything  :lol

Offline N4Player

« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
Having had several listens to this point, this album is very much a Rock Opera and not something I can compare to a 'concept album.' Calling it a concept invokes comparison to SFAM and Operation Mindcrime etc. Do that and this album fails miserably. I love the freshness of style in several places, and I applaud any band that does what it wants, but this is the hardest material to enjoy for me personally. This album sounds like the cast and crew of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and members of Symphony X had an ugly lovechild. There are painfully cheesy sections scattered across what sounds like a longwinded ballad. To care about the story I have to care about the songs, and sadly I can't connect to it. Perhaps it will grow in some sections, but for now "Moment of Betrayal" is the only 'song' I enjoy. Looking forward to the next album so I can put this one behind. I hope I like it more live since I already have tickets, but whatever this is just isn't my thing. It's cool that so many here are enjoying it though. A band like DT can't be summed up in a single album or style really so opinions will always be heavily divided. I joined these forums when Mangini joined the band (I am a longtime fan of his), but the last 2 albums really have me missing the Portnoy era of 2003-2009. There is less of a song focus and more of a technical focus that felt more balanced in the past.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #513 on: January 29, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »
Love the new forum theme!!!   :o

Another time for my DT tradition: new CD at Best Buy and lunch at Jack In The Box   :metal

The back cover matches this California sky today!

From the samples I've heard, I'm concerned about the number of ballads also, but I've also heard some great heavy parts. 

I had an idea to blend the NOMAC tracks into a full song, maybe loop some of the sounds and add a beat to it.  Don't have the time to do so though.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #514 on: January 29, 2016, 01:05:44 PM »
FYI, in astonishing website, if you click the character, it will show full body pic of them and explain something about them  :tup

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
I was right. Or actually not: this is even worse than expected. The issue with this "concept" was already clear. and now there is the music to go with it. Yikes.
I never liked Scenes from a Memory because of the ridiculous concept/movie theme, but it had at least a few good songs. This thing however? Somebody please tell Petrucci to get off his high horse. And please send Jordan Rudass packing.
I'll happily be listening to Awake on my way home from work today instead of hitting the record store. This band is done it seems. At least artistically.

They aren;t done nor should they call it a day.  They took a risk and tried something different.  It didn;t work IMO but they can bounce back in 2-3 years and put out a new album that is hopefully more like Awake.  They put out quality music often enough to recover and have a big enough loyal fanbase to do so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
The Walking Shadow  :xbones  Evil sounding. And James Low voice... :O

My Last Farewell now....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
I'm going to make my own TA sampler CD of my favorite songs too.  The lead track so far would be TGOM, unless I hear a better one.  Still loving that song though, been in my head all week.

How times have changed when a physical manufactured CD is cheaper than a collection of digital files.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
My Last Farewell - A SHREDDING RUDESS SPOTTED :rollin \m/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2016, 01:08:49 PM »
This album is ridiculous ! :rollin.

Have they been holding back the last few albums or what ?!

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #520 on: January 29, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »
Just finished it for the first time and I love how the record just ends with a fat squealie!  :rollin :metal I was hoping for more of a climax like a battle or something and the ending seemed overly happy. Great album though, loved it. A few moments had me going "hell yeah"

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #521 on: January 29, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
Having had several listens to this point, this album is very much a Rock Opera and not something I can compare to a 'concept album.' Calling it a concept invokes comparison to SFAM and Operation Mindcrime etc. Do that and this album fails miserably. I love the freshness of style in several places, and I applaud any band that does what it wants, but this is the hardest material to enjoy for me personally. This album sounds like the cast and crew of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and members of Symphony X had an ugly lovechild. There are painfully cheesy sections scattered across what sounds like a longwinded ballad. To care about the story I have to care about the songs, and sadly I can't connect to it. Perhaps it will grow in some sections, but for now "Moment of Betrayal" is the only 'song' I enjoy. Looking forward to the next album so I can put this one behind. I hope I like it more live since I already have tickets, but whatever this is just isn't my thing. It's cool that so many here are enjoying it though. A band like DT can't be summed up in a single album or style really so opinions will always be heavily divided. I joined these forums when Mangini joined the band (I am a longtime fan of his), but the last 2 albums really have me missing the Portnoy era of 2003-2009. There is less of a song focus and more of a technical focus that felt more balanced in the past.

I agree with much of this.  I think the album will grow on me but I do not like how cheesy the lyrics are.  It comes down to personal preference. 

I would prefer that Dream Theater stops doing concept albums and they go back to what they are good at.  Make another album like Awake and just worry about making great individual songs instead of a concept album or story. 

I have been waiting for years for them to put out another album with 10 or so strong songs in which they don't feel that they have to turn a 6 minute song into a 14 minute song with unnecessary jams in every song.  I love when they go all out at times but not every song needs this.  I know this album didn't have that problem...but having to make songs to fit a long story held the quality of many of the songs back

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #522 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

The song explanations are up!

Wow !!! It also have clearer GNEA map !!
Where?  I'm not seeing it.

The map published by F.E STANHOPE & CO
Who are they?
Perfect!  Thanks.  Do we have higher res pictures of the characters and places too?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #523 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
Great guitar solo at the end of A New Beginning, starting with some enjoyable effects similar to those found in the solo to Surrender of Reason. Nice simple backing to it as well; it lets the guitar be the star.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #524 on: January 29, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »
EDIT : Spoke too soon. Nomac eyes still do diddly squat :lol
I KNEW IT!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.