Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518523 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #420 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
There is really no way to form a verdict for this album, after just one listen. I need to spin the album couple more times first.

First Impressions:

There are some pretty forgettable moments, but as a whole it's really solid! And it goes without saying that it completely destroys the self titled album.

Early favorites are Ravenskill, A Life Left Behind, and of course a little gem called A New Beginning.

I was ready to throw in the towel for DT after the last album, they pulled me right back with this one!  :tup

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
Ravenskill is an amazing song! Some parts reminded me of Billy Talent just a tiny bit xD

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »
I have to agree... these songs put the previous album to shame.
Wow, that is saying alot! I love DT 12 probably more than most on this forum.  I have to wait another week to hear TA, my local record store forgot to order it and I requested it a week ago..

I reccommend getting it on HDtracks.com!
Thanks for the heads up..  I don't have a computer at the moment, just a Android phone. I have to wait for the cd next Friday. There are no best buys in my area and I seriously doubt Wal-Mart will have it. My local record store is only open Thursday through Saturday..lame!
If you are Jonesing for it... get a Spotify Premium subscription.  its how I am listening to it right now.

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
Lord Nafaryus. I am in love with this song. This is new DT, a sound I haven't ever heard from them. I absolutely adore it.

I'm not sure why but I get a Queen vibe in parts...  Bohemian Rhapsodyesque? Combined with something else...  Definitely sounds very good

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
The band has the whole album up on youtube if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLToa5JuFMsXR7S5f8Ti0IWHYFOU5WclqA

And yes, it IS a verified official DT youtube page, and the whole album was uploaded yesterday. So enjoy, especially for those of you who are still waiting for their physical order to come in!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline V_R11

« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
Was anyone else surprise Daryus is Nafaryus' son, not brother? He looks so old. Wonder what's the age difference between him and Faythe
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Somebody is slacking the living shit out of putting the lyrics on the website..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
I have to agree... these songs put the previous album to shame.
Wow, that is saying alot! I love DT 12 probably more than most on this forum.  I have to wait another week to hear TA, my local record store forgot to order it and I requested it a week ago..

I reccommend getting it on HDtracks.com!
Thanks for the heads up..  I don't have a computer at the moment, just a Android phone. I have to wait for the cd next Friday. There are no best buys in my area and I seriously doubt Wal-Mart will have it. My local record store is only open Thursday through Saturday..lame!
If you are Jonesing for it... get a Spotify Premium subscription.  its how I am listening to it right now.
Thanks, but my phone plan has limited Data and would send my bill through the roof with an alb7m this long, lol!  I'll just have to wait. I made it 43 years of my life without hearing it, I guess I can go for another week. I better stay away from the burgers and fries to increase my odds of survival during the wait..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
Story question/critisism:

Okey, correct me if Im wrong.
So, Daryus kidnapped Xander and threatened to kill him if Arhys didn`t bring him Gabriel. Daryus kills Arhys and almost kills his sister.

In "Astonishing", Arabelle sings:
" My prince, my son
You got lost along the way
In light of this new burden that you face
you are forgiven on this day"

He got off quite easily, dont ya think?  :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »
Finished it!

My expectatives for this album were really different from what I got, since I pretty much expected another Scenes from a Memory.

I mean.. No songs longer than 10 minutes, no long, trade-off solo sections, a lot of ballads and songs in 4/4...

AND I REALLY LIKE THAT! They tried something different and it really worked. They don't really have to prove that they can do all the stuff I mentioned before. We already have ToT for heavy songs, BC&SL for long trade-off solos, TDoE, Raw Dog and Enigma Machine, a shitload of songs that last more than 10 minutes (Not to mention they can do that again in the next albums if they wanted to)... Why not trying something different this time?

Liked the orchestral arrangements, ABSOLUTELY LOVED the choir sections, really good melodies here and there, but the thing that I appreciate the most is that I felt James was the best part of this album. Let's be honest with ourselves: Ever since SFAM the protagonists of the band have been JP, JR, and ocasionally JM and MP/MM, at least in my opinion. James has had stand-outs here and there, but I've always felt the focus has been more on the instrumental parts of the songs rather than on the vocals of them. Not this time! James rocked the fucking album from beginning to end. It really showed how versatile his voice can be and how quintessential he is to DT.

It also surprised me to see that a lot of people are liking Act I more than Act II though. I liked Act II a lot more! I listened to Act I last night and Act II this morning, so I guess it might be because of that.

I'll need to give it a couple of listens before I rank it, but I really, really liked it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
Let's hope The Astonishing website is fully unlocked....

:soon:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline thosava

« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
I can hear something weird in the end of the vocals on A Tempting Offer. What is that sound James is making? Is it some weird editing? Sound like he's saying: take the evening to decide... ivdsh

Did anyone else hear this?

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »

Seriously! I'd really like to have that before my next listen. I ordered on iTunes which didn't come with a digital booklet, so I unfortunately have nothing to go on right now.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
I can hear something weird in the end of the vocals on A Tempting Offer. What is that sound James is making? Is it some weird editing? Sound like he's saying: take the evening to decide... ivdsh

Yes. It was even asked about from Petrucci in his AMA. He didn't know what it was
Seasons change and so can I

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
The band has the whole album up on youtube if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLToa5JuFMsXR7S5f8Ti0IWHYFOU5WclqA

And yes, it IS a verified official DT youtube page, and the whole album was uploaded yesterday. So enjoy, especially for those of you who are still waiting for their physical order to come in!

-Marc.

Very smart on their behalf, given people upload DT songs to youtube every day.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
Astonishing (the song) sounds like The Spirit Carries On then Beneath the Surface
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »
Do you really put Descent of the NOMACs as a highlight? Bring that one to the controversial opinions thread  :lol

Me too, I love All NOMACS Track, Descent of NOMACS is the best NOMACS Track for me
I never play Dystopian Overture directly, I always play Descent of NOMACS first before listening Dystopian Overture.
NOMACS Track raising up my fantasy about the story and atmosphere  ;D

Offline thosava

« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »

Yes. It was even asked about from Petrucci in his AMA. He didn't know what it was

I don't care about the "mistake" people said was in A Gift of Music. But in A Tempting Offer it sounds like they cut the word in half, adding a swallowing sound in the middle of it?

Offline JMSE

« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
The end of Descent of the NOMACs is going to be epic live.Hans Zimmer meets Robots

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
In my lyric book, during The Walking Shadow, (spoilers ahead I suppose) it attributes the part threatening Arhys' son ("Confront your death, like father like son") to Arhys himself (who has just been killed) rather than Daryus. Does everyone else's have this mistake? :lol:

Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
Lord Bug.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
In my lyric book, during The Walking Shadow, (spoilers ahead I suppose) it attributes the part threatening Arhys' son ("Confront your death, like father like son") to Arhys himself (who has just been killed) rather than Daryus. Does everyone else's have this mistake? :lol:

Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

I was going to mention this earlier, then thought maybe it was Ahrys saying it with his dying breath for Xander to just accept his fate like Father like son.

Also what happens to Daryus in the end? He never gets his comeuppance!!

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
This

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »

So, Daryus kidnapped Xander and threatened to kill him if Arhys didn`t bring him Gabriel. Daryus kills Arhys and almost kills his sister.

" My prince, my son

Yes, almost not making sense at all. One thing that disappoint me about the story in The Astonishing
There is no an actual fight and war between The Great Northern Empire and Ravenskill Rebel Militia. From the begining, they made us think there will be a big war between TGNEA and Ravenskill, you can see it in trailer, but then what we got?
I think it will be great if there is a war between Empire Guards and Ravenskill troop before finally story of Walking Shadow Start.
Disc 2 must have more song to tell story about war, The Astonishing must have 20 track each Disk, hahaha  ;D

Sorry for my bad english

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »
My CD is " On The Way ! "  :biggrin:

Offline metrojam

« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
First off I would like to thank Amazon for delivering this YESTERDAY!!!

I have been begging for two things from a DT album:
1. Way more piano
2. Allowing James to go off

This album does both!

I totally agree with number 2, but for number 1...
I'm more of a Petrucci person. I wish their were more guitar solos than piano. My opinion though.

Agree 100% with that...after about what seemed like the 8th (at least) piano introduction to a song, I was beginning to wish someone had shoved that Piano somewhere where the sun don't shine!!!!
Agree that James is the MVP on the album but that damn piano after only about 2/3rds the way through Act 1, wins the award for the most annoying thing on it!!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »

" My prince, my son

Yes, almost not making sense at all. One thing that disappoint me about the story in The Astonishing
There is no an actual fight and war between The Great Northern Empire and Ravenskill Rebel Militia. From the begining, they made us think there will be a big war between TGNEA and Ravenskill, you can see it in trailer, but then what we got?
I think it will be great if there is a war between Empire Guards and Ravenskill troop before finally story of Walking Shadow Start.
Disc 2 must have more song to tell story about war, The Astonishing must have 20 track each Disk, hahaha  ;D

Sorry for my bad english
That's true. Also whatever happened to Nafaryus anyway? Did he die? I didn't really understand what happened to him at the end.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
I like it a lot more on a 2nd listen. Am I the only one to spot a direct melodic similarity to Rush's Cygnus Bringer Of Balance (from Hemispheres) on disc 1?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »

" My prince, my son

Sorry for my bad english
That's true. Also whatever happened to Nafaryus anyway? Did he die? I didn't really understand what happened to him at the end.

I think he becomes astonished or something.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pringkaarwanda

« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
Okay what is this "gift" Gabriel has? Am I dumb?

He can ressurect people by singing  ;D
Since that, all people who gonna die, come to gabriel for more life. And Gabriel become a magic doctor rather than a Savior
Welcome immortal life

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »
Written by Bob Orci & Alex Kurtzman.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #452 on: January 29, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »
I like that when you heard those crickets chirping at the start of a song you just know you're in Heaven's Cove  :hat

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #453 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »

Sounds like a serious mistake in the editing stage. How didn't anyone noticed this?

Offline thosava

« Reply #454 on: January 29, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »

Sounds like a serious mistake in the editing stage. How didn't anyone noticed this?

It's so sad to know that such a big mistake will be there forever...