Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 520216 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3395 on: May 08, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
Would like for them to get Nolly Getgood and make an album that actually sounds good in all aspects. :neverusethis:

What other albums has he engineered? I only know the Periphery stuff and I think he engineered the next Devin Townsend album..other than that, what else is out there engineered by him?

Joy of Motion from Animals As Leaders (along with Misha) and the Good Tiger album. There are a few more I think but I can't recall them.
Anyways every single album where he has been part of the production team sounds phenomenal.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3396 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:02 AM »
Mike Mangini is human.

From his FB page:

Fan: Great show in Cincinnati..noticed you came in early on a build in Ravinskill..it's reassuring to me as a drummer to know even the BEST can't be flawless all the time.

MM:I did. JP and I were laughing onstage... I was daydreaming and looking at all the lights and ... not kidding, was thinking, "All these NFL and NHL cities have these insane crowds. How cool?" and then I forgot where I was and bamm... John giggled, so did I, and I'm glad you caught it. I don't know why, but I'll remember that more than the 676,443 hits that were dead on the click. I don't remember them.

Also, interesting tidbit by MM on how he composed his drum parts for The Astonishing:

MM:  I also want you to know, if you don't already, that my prep for the Astonishing was done on my 4-Piece E-Pro kit... yes, I did not learn ONE song as to play it. has the 4 hihats and 2 rides for my key signature matching playing. All I did was jam grooves. I made notes for 5 songs on paper, but I improvised this whole album having no clue what the words or vocals would be. Still... when the guys span their instruments from hight to low, I span the kit from high to low (pitch wise.) I suppose you want to know the songs I made notation notes on so I could coordinate my body: Walking Shadow + Last Farewell, Path that Divides, New Beginning and Moment of Betrayal. Just know my DT kit is very hard on the shoulders and upper legs. So what :)

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #3397 on: May 09, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
Makes you wonder what DT will do next time.

Will be weird releasing another album of 7 eight minute songs and a 20 minute epic.
Would like them to do their own "Tales from Topographic Oceans" with a bunch of epics with unique structures and a loose concept. That or a more compact album in the vein of Train of Thought with song lengths of 3-8 mins.
Oh man.  What I would give for a TFTO-style four-sider from DT.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3398 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
Saw the show in Oakland last night, and I just have to say:  This album was really meant to be experienced live.  The Youtube clips cannot do the performance and stage production justice at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3399 on: May 09, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
Saw the show in Oakland last night, and I just have to say:  This album was really meant to be experienced live.  The Youtube clips cannot do the performance and stage production justice at all.
That's great to hear. 

Since they apparently won't come anywhere near me (again), hopefully they change their mind a little and record one of the shows for release on Blu-ray.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3400 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
They are definitely planning on filming.  They just have not decided on some logistics and other creative decisions.  So, yes, anyone who has not been able to see this tour will still get to see it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3401 on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
They are definitely planning on filming.  They just have not decided on some logistics and other creative decisions.  So, yes, anyone who has not been able to see this tour will still get to see it.

That's good to hear! It was a great show and should definitely be captured properly.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3402 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
Ah, fantastic!  I had not heard that!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3403 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
I don't think it has been officially stated, but I asked JP last night and he said it is definitely a yes. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3404 on: May 09, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »
I don't think it has been officially stated, but I asked JP last night and he said it is definitely a yes.
:happydance:

:djhef:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3405 on: May 09, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
I assume they would use this first round of concerts to take note of their favorite venues, be it for the aesthetics or just for the sound quality.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3406 on: May 09, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
I assume they would use this first round of concerts to take note of their favorite venues, be it for the aesthetics or just for the sound quality.
I hadn't thought about that, but that's actually an interesting thought.  For northern California, I think they have definitely found a new favorite.  This is the first time they have played the Fox Theater in Oakland, and it is a GORGEOUS theater--probably the nicest I have ever been in.  Apparently, it sat abandoned for 43 years, and it was completely restored and reopened in 2009.  JP and James both commented on how much they loved it, and James in particular said he likes it a LOT better than the Warfield in SF (which has been their go-to for years). 

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3407 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
The Youtube clips cannot do the performance and stage production justice at all.

Definitely. Happy to see that a DVD will come of this.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #3408 on: May 09, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Great new live video for Our New World! This was recorded in Milan, and features footage from the 18th and 19th March shows. Damn, I squandered my chance to appear on a DT video getting tickets for the March 17th show :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLdx2FyNqg

MVP: Mike Mangini's rec specs
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3409 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »
I'm happy because just 20 minutes ago I was able to buy my ticket for the show in Luna Park next month. I also have my bus ticket (since I don't live in Buenos Aires), so I'm pretty much ready to go. Of course, I'll feel much better once I have the actual ticket in my hands (and once the bus actually arrives in Buenos Aires). Still, this is a start!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: May 10, 2016, 06:34:15 AM »

:metal :metal :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3411 on: May 10, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
To those who have seen the show: Am I the only one who thought it was completely asinine for them to say goodnight after Our New World and then come out for the "encore" and do the last 2 tracks?

Offline smegolas

« Reply #3412 on: May 10, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »
To those who have seen the show: Am I the only one who thought it was completely asinine for them to say goodnight after Our New World and then come out for the "encore" and do the last 2 tracks?

I haven't seen it because they never came to Vancouver, but yes, that seems pretty dumb.  In fact, that's even dumb for a regular concert where all bands pretend its over and then - surprise! - its not!  Haven't we done that to death?  Particularly dumb in this case.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in and say I cant believe I am still loving this album as much as I am.  Its almost been the only thing I've listened to since it was released and am not bored of it at all.  The melodies are always floating around in my head.  My favorite album of all time.  The only bummer is, the next album is sure to be a let down after this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »

I suggested this and we had a big debate in this thread I think - that people prefer the charade of there being an encore even though you get the exact same show if they walk off stage or not.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #3414 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »

Everyone does the fake encore now. I personally hate it.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: May 10, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »

Everyone does the fake encore now. I personally hate it.

For the first show of this tour, they played every song, and left without doing an encore. Some members of the audience reacted negatively, so the band decided to make ONW the set ender and Astonishing the "encore".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3416 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

No, because:
(1) Like it or not, the "traditional" and expected concert structure is to include an encore, even though it is almost always completely pre-planned.  And
(2) The reason they are doing that is because fans specifically requested that after the first show on the tour when they were not doing the "mock encore" and a good chunk of people in the audience were confused and didn't like that structure.

So, no, it's not "completely asinine."  What is asinine is calling out the band for doing something the fans wanted in the first place.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: May 10, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
I like it a lot.  No encore just feels weird and if the band is to chose to not play anything else, than this is the best way to do it.

Sure, it's stupid to say goodnight when everyone knows they are coming back, but that is normal and typical of a headlining act.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3418 on: May 10, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I was there on that first night, and I think there was a significant number of "casual" fans that either hadn't heard the album, or weren't aware of how it was going to be presented. I overheard a few "Is that the end" type comments, and a couple of idiots booed when the band didn't come back out again.

One other possible factor is that the first show was 3 weeks after the album was released, so perhaps this wasn't enough time for folks to absorb the album, the concept, and the buzz around it.

I knew there would be no encore, so I had no problem with it, but as you say, it's what's generally expected, for better or worse.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3419 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
I personally would prefer no "encore" for this show, but I absolutely have no problem with whatever the band decides is best.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3420 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »

No, because:
(1) Like it or not, the "traditional" and expected concert structure is to include an encore, even though it is almost always completely pre-planned.  And
(2) The reason they are doing that is because fans specifically requested that after the first show on the tour when they were not doing the "mock encore" and a good chunk of people in the audience were confused and didn't like that structure.

So, no, it's not "completely asinine."  What is asinine is calling out the band for doing something the fans wanted in the first place.

Didn't mean any disrespect, just thought it was kind of odd

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #3421 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
They only do it because people actually sit there and wait, and eventually call boo, if they don't. They did the first show or two of this tour without the whole charade, and many people were booing, some for real and some as a joke. You can't force every single concert goer to read the ticket and see that it says "The Astonishing Live" or check details online so they just added the stupid charade.

Offline CB

« Reply #3422 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
I think Astonishing works an "encore" because Our New World is a perfect song to end the show, they didn't cut the story line just to get an encore. Otherwise it would have been impossible. I prefer this to an unrelated encore, that would feel wrong to me, like performing an aria from a different opera after an opera performance or just some unrelated song after a musical show.
DTs encores are usually planned. Of course I'd like to be surprised, but at the last tour the half hour long SFAM encore was a highlight of the show for me, so I don't complain (as long as DT continues to play long shows)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3423 on: May 10, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
Astonishing is the song where all the actors on the stage come out, sing and take their bows. It works fine.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3424 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
Watched the video for Our New World, I liked it! it was nicely shot and composed, it's a good presentation for the band. And of course it brought back good memories of having actually been there.

Anyway, notice those light panels on the walls? I had one of them in front of me, 'cause my seat was the very leftmost on the above balconies. Damn, what a pain was to strech to my right to actually see Jordan!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3425 on: May 10, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
Oh, that sucks.  I thought the panels were awesome in general, but I didn't think the ones on the side were necessary or added much. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3426 on: May 10, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »

No, because:

Didn't mean any disrespect, just thought it was kind of odd

Okay, that's fine.  It just annoyed me that you called it "asinine."  You could have just said that you don't get it or that it seemed odd. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3427 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »
Why are people shocked that a band has an on core and it's a last song when they are only playing only the album? 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3428 on: May 10, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Because people just don't have the time for encores anymore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3429 on: May 10, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
I demand an encore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC