Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Discography Thread  (Read 2147 times)

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
The Avenged Sevenfold Discography Thread
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:48 PM »

Train of Naught: Avenged Sevenfold, they’re not exactly strangers in this day and age, they’ve made quite the name for themselves over the past decade, being featured in various videogames, making their own videogames, recording a live show not to be forgotten in the LBC, where certain songs have been performed like never before. And fairly recently they’ve added amazing props to some of the live shows, for example the huge skeleton from the Hail to the King album art, the on stage flames, it’s all become a big treat that is not just about the music anymore.

So.. a band that has distributed their music in so many different ways, how did I find them? The summer of 2016, on a boring day off, my dad downloaded this game called “Need for Speed: Most Wanted“ for me, I’m not at all interested in race games, but I was bored, so what the fuck. I became a fan of 2 bands that day, because of 2 songs played on the radio whilst driving, one was Hand of Blood by Bullet for my Valentine but I won’t go into that, the other one was Blinded In Chains by Avenged Sevenfold off their third studio album “City of Evil“, I won’t go into the album nor the song for now, but needless to say it was the beginning of something new, as a casual enjoyer of classic metal, I got my first real taste of what modern metal was supposed to sound like. The had thick rhythms, drums I could only dream of replicating, and strikingly distinguishable vocals that fortunately did it for me. Drummers of DTF – if you’re interested in Portnoy’s drumming at all, The Rev had always set MP as one of his main idols, he always looked up to him and had very similar tricks and tidbits to his style, it’s a lot of fun to listen to.

I will cut it off here, I hope you guys will enjoy, I’m looking forward to this. First album might not be a groundbreaking one, but I hope I can shed some light on the not-too-critically-acclaimed Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

Angela: Avenged Sevenfold. Ah, what can I say about them? Actually, there are tons I can say, but I will highlight the main points. Avenged Sevenfold or A7X is the first band I was introduced to that had a lasting impact on me. Avenged Sevenfold got me into Dream Theater. How you may ask? I am sure a lot you understand the connection between Avenged Sevenfold and Dream Theater. Yes. Mike Portnoy filled in for The Rev during the spring of 2016. The song Nightmare was the first song by Avenged Sevenfold that I had listened too and instantly I was hooked. After listening to their album Nightmare, I made my wake back all the way to Sounding The Seventh Trumpet. It took me a while to get used to their earlier growling albums, but eventually, it has found a place in my heart.

That is all I have to say about Avenged Sevenfold.....for now. Train of Naught and I will Sounding the Seventh Trumpet up pretty soon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:03:24 PM by OnTheBacksofAngela »
Glad to be back.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Discography Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »
 I discovered them around 2006 when my friend handed me City of Evil and said "You will like this" which I very much did.  Became a fan right away.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:07:47 PM by cramx3 »

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Yes. You are correct. He filled in for the Rev while still with Dream Theater.
Glad to be back.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
It's all good  :tup

Have you been participating in the survivor? It's almost over, but as a fan, you might be interested in joining the last few rounds.  Ran by Train of Naught.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:14:11 PM »
Actually I have. Sad to see Chapter 4 having to go so quickly. Already has six votes... :(
Glad to be back.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
I first heard Unholy Confessions on MusiquePlus (the Quebec version of Muchmusic or MTV) back in 2005. At the time I was not really into heavier music and harsher vocals so I was mostly indifferent. Some time later I saw the video of Bat Country and I was hooked by the music (and by the some of the video's visuals :coolio) I eventually bought City of Evil and the self-titled album a few years later. And it's thanks to them that I started to incorporate solos and leads in my guitar playing.

I also meant to buy Nightmare when it was released but I never did. I'm not sure why  :lol I might buy it when I'll go get The Astonishing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:52:46 PM by CDrice »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
The first time I've heard an A7X song was probably during my radio phase in 2012 where I was listening to the Sixx Sense channel on iHeartRadio and they were playing stuff like Buried Alive and Welcome to the Family.  At one point, somewhere around that period, I heard A Little Piece of Heaven and thought, "That was a fun sounding song in light of its depicting lyrics."  In addition, one of my favorite wrestlers, Chris Jericho, is a huge fan of them and, during the time he had a radio show (Rock of Jericho), he was playing stuff from them like "Lost" and I thought that was a cool sounding song and so here we are.

I'll follow this thread from time to time and be amazed on how they went from a high school band in Orange County to one of the biggest rock/metal bands in today's modern age.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »
Fan since 2003'

4 shows (2 with The Rev :( )

Ranking Time :

6. HttK

5. Trumpets
4. A7X

3. Nightmare

2. WTF :>
1. CoE :> (One of my fav albums of all time)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
I'm quite sure that the first song I heard from them was "Bat Country," which was kind of cool, and not really like anything I'd heard before. But they didn't really grab me until I heard "Nightmare" and the rest of the singles from that album.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
I first heard A7X back in 2007. My friends made me a mix cd filled with a bunch of songs by bands they thought I would like. The first song on it was Critical Acclaim. I was completely blown away. They quickly became one of my favorite bands and are now one of my biggest influences as a musician alongside Metallica and Dream Theater.

Album ranking time!!!

01) City of Evil
02) Nightmare
03) Waking the Fallen
04) Avenged Sevenfold
05) Hail to the King
06) Sounding the Seventh Trumpet
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:39:04 AM »
Fun to read all your stories about discovering them  :tup

Angela your post says Portnoy filled in for The Rev in the spring of 2016  :lol
Anyway, we're going to discuss the discography from beginning to end obviously, I also want to include some of the game-relatedstuff they've done as a bonus, also B-sides, backstories about the band and what not.

EDIT: and my side of the intro should say summer of 2006, I didn't discover a7x during the upcoming summer  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:04:06 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:17 AM »
Yeah I remember them playing the Unholy Confessions video a lot on MTV2. Downloaded that on kazaa, (those were the days) played it constantly. Checked out a few more songs, loved them the same. Got WTF not long after. About a year after they released the best album of all time and I have been a loyal A7X acolyte since.

Album ranking time!!!

01) City of Evil
02) Nightmare
03) Waking the Fallen
04) Avenged Sevenfold
05) Hail to the King
06) Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

This is the only acceptable ranking.

PS: Most Wanted was an awesome game.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
I can agree on 2 of those 6 album spots.  :corn

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
Let me guess... you also think the earth is flat.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »
ONLY. ACCEPTABLE.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
You betcha.

Also, the United States are a continent.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Discography Thread v. Trumpets
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »
Oh I feel I should say this too, Angela messaged me she is taking a break from DTF so I'll do this thing by myself for now, she didn't know Sounding the Seventh Trumpet so this one would be done by me anyway.

Starting out + Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

Tracklist
1. To End the Rapture 1:22
2. Turn the Other Way 5:37
3. Darkness Surrounding 4:50
4. The Art of Subconscious Illusion 3:46
5. We Come Out At Night 4:45
6. Lips of Deceit 4:09
7. Warmness on the Soul 4:20
8. An Epic of Time Wasted 4:19
9. Breaking Their Hold 1:12
10. Forgotten Faces 3:27
11. Thick And Thin 4:15
12. Streets 3:06
13. Shattered By Broken Dreams 7:08

The year of 1999 is where the band originally started to go by the name of ‘Avenged Sevenfold‘. Not so surprisingly, this name is a reference to the bible, I have no religious knowledge at all and it was pretty obvious to me. Of the original line-up the band has had for the majority of their career, three members were there from the beginning: Zacky, M. Shadows and The Rev. Naturally, being in their mid-to-late teens in the 90’s, like every other ‘cool‘ group would do, they were jamming along to whatever record they had playing in a garage with cheap instruments.
After some time the band felt like they knew what direction they wanted to go in, recorded some cheap demo’s in 1999 and 2000, remember, this is still without Johny Christ and Synyster Gates. Instead, they had bass player Matt Wendt, who was replaced by Justin Meacham before Sounding the Seventh Trumpet studio sessions started. Of course the bass player-drama continued when Meacham attempted suicide, derailing the whole project because A7X didn’t want to release an album with someone like him dragging the overall atmosphere of the situation down, it affected the whole band, Shadows stated.
So once more they changed their roster, still not Johny Christ though, although he has always kinda been in the picture, as he was always around them, went to the same school and stuff, but their next bass player, playing on the StST album was Dameon Ash.
At this point they were still in high school, M Shadows said in an interview that they had basically sent their demo’s to every obscure record label in the hopes that they would be accepted at some point, this happened in 2001 at Good Life Recordings.

The just over 1 minute introductory track ‘To End the Rapture‘ was re-recorded after Synyster joined the band as their lead guitarist, but the rest of the songs are (pretty noticably) just Zacky on the guitar. This is also one of the very few songs on this album that seems accessible for every Avenged Sevenfold fan, it’s fresh-sounding, clean vocals (the harsh ones tend to be seen as a rough patch compared to Waking the Fallen), and grotesque instrumentals.
In 2002 the band finally decided to re-release the album when they had the opportunity to work with a better-recognized record label, Hopeless Records, where they’ve made quite a name for themselves with not only this album, but the follow-up as well.

Personally, I don’t go back to this as often as I maybe should, I have been turned off by the vocals quite a bit in the past, but the drumming is very solid throughout, very Diamonds in the Rough-like. A lot of cool riffs, which was later developed even more, and has become one of their biggest strengths. It’s cool to look at the progression of vocals through the years. There’s a lot of memorable vocal melodies on this album that remind of some of the catchy choruses on the later album, thinking of Remenissions currently.
I’ve got to admit though, that ballads weren’t their strongest side, what they focused on here most is great riffing, brutal basslines, agressive drumming, and vocals that fit with just that. Warmness on the Soul is for me personally, the ballad that needed to happen to improve, ‘cuz face it, they have some amazing ballads/powerballads coming up later in their career.
It’s a shame they completely neglect this album when making the setlists, of course it’s not a fan favorite, but I would go nuts if they played Shattered By Broken Dreams live.

This definitely is one of the least popular Avenged Sevenfold release, if not the least popular, but I’d like to hear from you guys now, what do you like speficially about this album? Or what on there do you despise with all your guts? The band has had quite some changes in their style, especially with the first few albums, hell, this even had some full-out punk stuff on it that I’m personally not keen on at all. I still feel this was an important point in their career and had a lot of WTF similarities that later grew out to be immensely popular.

This is the closest I could get to a live recording of a Sounding the Seventh Trumpet with their current line-up that didn't sound like complete shit, it's still not the best but deal with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJXaw5vJKo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:22:25 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline LordCost

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
As I said in the survivor thread, I like most of the songs on this album. Waking The Fallen is certainly of another level, but this one is not bad. An Epic Of Time Wasted, Shattered By Broken Dreams, The Art Of Subconscious Illusions and Turn The Other Way are my favourites of this album, but I have learnt from the survivor that Darkness Surrounding is the most loved here.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Discography Thread v. Waking the Fallen
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 05:35:43 AM »
Waking the Fallen

1.   "Waking the Fallen" - 1:42
2.   "Unholy Confessions" - 4:45
3.   "Chapter Four" - 5:44
4.   "Remenissions" - 6:06
5.   "Desecrate Through Reverence" - 5:38
6.   "Eternal Rest" - 5:12
7.   "Second Heartbeat" - 7:00
8.   "Radiant Eclipse" - 6:09
9.   "I Won't See You Tonight (Part 1)" - 8:58
10.   "I Won't See You Tonight (Part 2)" - 4:44
11.   "Clairvoyant Disease" - 4:59
12.   "And All Things Will End" - 7:40

Current line-up:

M. Shadows: Lead vocals
Synyster Gates: Lead guitar, backing vocals, piano on singular occasions
Zacky Vengeance: Rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Johnny Christ: Bass guitar, backing vocals
The Rev: Drums, backing vocals

So the very first thing we notice from the line-up is not only the odd names that are clearly not their actual names, how did this start out? Well, obviously they were in their mid-teens by the time they created the band, this was just some silly imagination of some kids goofing around, it’s funny how they still go by those names and everyone knows them by those names. Something else that really sticks out here, everyone does backing vocals, later on in their career it gets really interesting with the multiple voices, not only on the studio albums, but also on some of the live recordings, we see everyone contributing to vocals.
I won’t got into all of the songs too much, but I do want to explain the strengths of this album which actually stay amazingly consistent, as well as some of the standouts which I may expand on.

Waking the Fallen is an often overlooked intro, the early Avenged Sevenfold sure knew how to set the mood, ‘cuz both To End the Rapture and this self-titled intro are great, too bad they seemed to have stopped doing this kind of thing, maybe we’ll see it again in the future.

Unholy Confessions, the second official music video, included footage from some of the footage taken from live shows, it’s still on the Hopeless Records channel. I never really cared for either of those music videos – frankly, some of A7X’s music videos are outright terrible, this one I could take it or leave it, but take a look at the video for Shepherd of Fire for instance, wtf is that? Anyway, Unholy Confessions was arguably a breakthrough song for Avenged, it may not have been unitl City of Evil that they really started gaining popularity, but Unholy Confessions feels like a gateway song between the early material and the newer.

Chapter Four, along with the previous song, is a live concert hit, when I saw them they played both of these at the end of the concert acting as kind of an encore, the entire time I was anticipating at least one Waking the Fallen track, and while these may not be my absolute favorites, they’re fucking stun-ning live, and especially Chapter Four, has some amazing vocal melodies, catchy as hell.

Remenissions is the first song where I feel this needs to be highlighted, a lot of songs on this album have crushing guitar rhythms during the verses, this is mostly what drives the songs that would other-wise not be as great, gladly no particular member on this band gets overlooked, they really do all con-tribute to the band really well. Desecrate Through Reverence I’d say shares my feelings about guitar melodies and rhythms, but what puts Remenissions miles ahead, let me start with the pre-chorus, beautiful harmonies mixed with harsh vocals build up the tension like no other. The undoubted topping though, is that chorus, it’s arguably one of the best Avenged Sevenfold choruses. Not only with enjoyable catchy vocal melodies, but damn, that acoustic guitar in the background is so pretty, it’s no Sidewinder, but it’s doing alright.

Eternal Rest I decided to pair up with And All Things Will End, because I feel like Eternal Rest could’ve been an amazing closer, the “Eternal Rest” chanting has “epic” written all over it. Still, it doesn’t live up to the epicness of the latter, the outro of And All Things Will End kinda feels like it has a psychedelic vibe to it and I love it. I dunno, I still think to this day that the very first second of Eternal Rest is just.. weird, but the short guitar passage afterwards is pretty cool. Also, guitar riff after the first verse is magical, heads ‘a bangin’.
Without further ado, the best song off the album and easily a top 10 Avenged song, Second Heartbeat, ladies and gents, this is their crowning achievement regarding metalcore. I’m not even huge on metalcore, but everything about this, man. Intro is not too complex but it builds tension. The second verse is crushingly heavy. There’s yet another chanting section included, that’s a lot of chanting recorded on this album, but this is the best, even better in a live setting. Then the chorus, it’s not whiny and cheesy like most of the popular metalcore choruses. Last but not least, the guitar solo in the end might just be the best moment on the album, it bursts out into a great conclusion after some fast picking, straight into…

Radiant Eclipse, booyah! This song has my favorite verses of the album, too bad it also has the worst chorus, that’s a shame, this could’ve been one of the best songs on the album, cause the instrumenta-tion totally kicks ass here.
I’m going to remain very consise about the I Won’t See You Tonight series. Absolutely love the first part, and while the second is also pretty good, I always find myself looking forward to the part 1 chorus reprise, so yeah, I could do without the second.
Clairvoyant Disease is another great WTF song, nothing too crazy, has some groovy unisons going on, and awesome transitions between slow soft verses and heavy energetic choruses. Don’t find myself returning to this one too often but I like it alright.

This album was not their biggest achievement on an absolute measurement, but when you take into account the popularity they gained since their previous record, this was the most important album, this is what got them on the Warped Tour of 2003, which eventually lead to a solid fanbase, as well as their album hitting the 100.000 copies sold mark. Slowly but surely these guys were starting to get huge.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
Second Heartbeat blows me away every time I hear it. Top 5 A7X song easily. I also may be in the minority when I say that I think I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 2 is better than Pt. 1.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
Yea you could say that. I've even heard of people who don't even like the band that they enjoy part 1. Which is still odd to me because I always thought the vocals were the main distraction for most people, and this song has typical M Shadows style singing all over it.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Second Heartbeat chorus is a bit cheesy to me, the rest of the song is really good. I can't enjoy that chorus anymore unlike many years ago.
Eternal Rest, Chapter 4, I Won't See You Tonight P1, Remenissions.. and another 3-4 really great songs for me! Awesome album. I forgot how this was good before relistening for the survivor.
Radiant Eclipse is another great song and the chorus is not bad for me and fits well with the song. The intro of that song is great!

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
I loved Clairvoyant Disease. It was so mysterious and the duality between Gates and Vengeance during his solo was AMAZING.
Also loved the part: "The phone will ring in in the empty house. NO ONE'S AROUND!!!!!!"
Matt's growling at his finest.

Also love Eternal Rest about the tormented young with no souls. Matt's voice is awesome there also and Desecrate Through Reverence was a really strong performance alsol
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
Sorry for the delay, maybe it wasn't the best timing for a discography thread on my part, but here you have it, City of Evil!

City of Evil (2005)

1.   “The Beast and the Harlot“– 5:40
2.   "Burn It Down" – 4:58
3.   "Blinded in Chains" – 6:34
4.   "Bat Country" – 5:13
5.   "Trashed and Scattered" – 5:53
6.   "Seize The Day" – 5:32
7.   "Sidewinder" – 7:01
8.   "The Wicked End" – 7:10
9.   "Strength of the World" – 9:14
10.  "Betrayed" – 6:47
11.  "M.I.A." – 8:46

Current line-up:

M. Shadows: Lead vocals
Synyster Gates: Lead guitar, backing vocals, piano on singular occasions
Zacky Vengeance: Rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Johnny Christ: Bass guitar, backing vocals
The Rev: Drums, backing vocals

We’ve arrived to the third studio album, and I think it’s safe to say this is not only a huge change of pace musically, it was also generally believed to be their best piece of work to this day. The band’s line-up between this album and the last hasn’t changed, and why should it? Waking the Fallen was a succes, and this was an even bigger one.

The music
City of Evil, compared to Waking the Fallen, is less heavy, pretty much all the traces of metalcore have faded, and Avenged took a more melodic/heavy metal approach for this album. City of Evil includes both my favorite and least favorite music video in their entire catalog (not counting the cinematic video for A Little Piece of Heaven). Seize the Day was alright when I heard it, but the video still moves me immensely, it makes the finale of the song so heartbreaking, Matt visiting his wife’s grave with his son always gets to me. And yeah, the least favorite video, well, Beast and the Harlot is pretty interesting in that the band comes across as some scene/vampire group. I never liked the prejudiced opinions about A7X, that they were emo and stuff because they have tons of make-up and shit on their City of Evil promo photos, but neither did it appeal to me. The album-opener itself is great though, some crushing riffs and great verses, not the biggest fan of the chorus though. Burn It Down is nothing too remarkable by City of Evil standards, but still amazing on its own, great pompous finale in particular.

Blinded In Chains gets its own paragraph, this is when I first realized what a beast The Rev is on the drums, it was also my first A7X song (through Need for Speed), so there you have it. Rev is what turns the intro from good into great. Basically this song is a mix of everything this album is about, definitely one of the more complex structured songs. Explosive choruses, great vocal melodies throughout the whole song, groovy outro, need I say more?

Everyone knows Bat Country, it’s quite likely the most popular A7X song, and I’m pretty glad this is what they’re known for, agressive but groovy vocals, energetic drums, guitars, everything, really fun song. Trashed and Scattered had always been a mixed bag for me but a couple of years ago I started appreciating it more, definitely one of the most fun songs on the album. Sidewinder includes my (and many others‘) favorite Gates moment, the song itself is actually middle of the pack for me, but the outro is magnificent, no doubt it’s the best thing Gates has done. The Wicked End has a chorus that stuck with me from the first listen, it’s insanely good and has a very grandiose middle-section with the choir. Strength of the World continues that big sound with an amazing intro, beautiful. I don’t know how to describe the chorus but it’s definitely not your typical A7X song, maybe some classic heavy metal influences. But really, the end of the album is where it’s at, Betrayed and M.I.A. are fantastic, especially the latter, official proof that the band coul pull off a tremendous closing epic, this may be slightly shorter than Strength of the World, but it’s one of the most epic things they’ve written to date.

Overall the album has a raw kinda sound that I really dig, it sounds really organic. Gotta give props to the way they balanced every instrument out aswell, no one got overshadowed by other bandmembers, everyone has their top-notch moments. I guess I’m kinda biased since I’m a huge fan, but this album truly feels like no other in the genre, in a good way. This is essentially the point where A7X started getting more serious, from local concert locations and lesser known festivals of the WtF era, City of Evil turned that into something huge, an album that after more than 10 years and 3 more albums still stands strong in their catalog, considered the best of their albums by many.

I hope this album can spark some more discussion, but in the end the main goal of this is to have the discography documented in GMD if anyone ever stumbles upon the band and wants to have a read about them.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
City of Evil is a solid album. M.I.A is my favorite song from the album.  It has such an exciting feeling to it and you do not want the song to stop, even clocking over 8 min.  Solos were extraordinary. the part after the solos with the "Whoaaaaaa" was awesome.  Good song.

Edit: At 999 now, I guess I got to finish up my write-ups before creating that top 50 albums thread.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
Can't wait  :metal from what I understand it's not going to be a very traditional DTF list, and a lot of stuff I dig aswell.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
City of Evil is definitely my favorite A7X album. There are just so many great songs. Really the only song I could do without is Seize the Day which is among my least favorite songs in their discography. My favorite song from the album is Sidewinder. It's brilliantly composed, changing feel from section to section seamlessly. It's the highlight from an album full of amazing songs.

-MirrorMask

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
I decided instead of doing the self-titled album right away I’d throw in some of the classic pre-show videos the band has made over the years, mainly during the run leading up to and following up the self-titled album, instead of doing it afterwards.

So for Avenged Sevenfold, this was a way of getting comfortable before their shows, like when actors for a play warm up with simple acting games, they made some very silly videos, they’re all over the YouTubes, so I decided to link a compilation that sums it up pretty well.

Mostly it’s something stupid they did entirely for themselves to relax before a concert, but I found some enjoyment in them, really shows how this band is really just a group of great friends from since their highschool years, and have yet to abandon some of their corny and childish humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omj-SXT5kC4