Author Topic: Favorite mellotron moments/songs  (Read 2234 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Favorite mellotron moments/songs
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
So many to choose from, but I'll list a few to start with, so as to not hog all of the choices. ;)

The Moody Blues - Out and In Mike Pinder was pretty much the king of the mellotron, as he is the guy who brought it to the forefront in rock music and did so many innovative things that were eventually replicated, so it is hard to pick just one moment of his, but Out and In is pretty much a mellotron orgasm feast from start to finish. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

King Crimson - Starless The beginning of the song is incredible, of course, but the final minute of this song is just bananas, in large part thank to the mellotron. 

Steven Wilson - The Watchmaker The mellotron in the middle section, underneath the flute solo, is so badass, and of course we cannot forget the ending.

Neal Morse - The Conclusion When it comes out of that little mini-break at around 7:40ish, the way the mellotron lays on top of the rest of music is nothing short of astonishing. 

I'll let someone list what many will say is the best mellotron prog moment of the 70s... :biggrin:

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Favorite mellotron moments/songs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
Tons of Moody Blues songs...I can't pick one. Watching and Waiting and My Song are great.

Also, The Fountain of Salmacis by Genesis. Never Let Go by Camel deserves a mention too.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
Lots of Incubus songs have some great subtle mellotron work on them.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
King Crimson-21st Century Schizoid Man,The Court Of The Crimson King,In The Wake Of Poseidon,Circus,Starless
Genesis-Seven Stones (that outro  :heart)
Camel-Nimrodel

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
I don't see how the intro to "Watcher of the Skies" can avoid being mentioned here.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
There are so many. Of course Starless, Watcher of the Skies, Epitath etc. Anglagard's three albums are full of Mellotron, and they are used excellently, especially on Jordok from their debut. Wobbler and Anekdoten are two other bands that use it well.

Has anyone else heard the debut album from Spring? Three of the band members are credited with playing Mellotron. I've only listened to it once, but I remember really liking it.

For something that's not prog: Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:31:34 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »
Given that the company that sells the Mellotron sells a "Watcher mix" tape, you pretty much have to mention Watcher of the Skies, but here's an oddball choice for you. Enslaved's As Fire Swept Clean The Earth begins with a gorgeous mellotron intro-pretty sure its not a real Mellotron, but a synth patch, but STILL, man, hearing this black metal band open up an album with mellotron converted me to them for life  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »

I'll let someone list what many will say is the best mellotron prog moment of the 70s... :biggrin:

I don't see how the intro to "Watcher of the Skies" can avoid being mentioned here.

And there it is... :tup :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
Given that the company that sells the Mellotron sells a "Watcher mix" tape, you pretty much have to mention Watcher of the Skies, but here's an oddball choice for you. Enslaved's As Fire Swept Clean The Earth begins with a gorgeous mellotron intro-pretty sure its not a real Mellotron, but a synth patch, but STILL, man, hearing this black metal band open up an album with mellotron converted me to them for life  :metal
I totally forgot about the beautiful intro to that Enslaved song. Good call. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »

Camel-Nimrodel

This reminds me...when The White Rider section kicks in, following the Procession, the combination of that mellotron and Latimer's godly guitar tone and playing is absolutely sublime.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
The bit where the mellotron kicks in on Light Up The Night by The Besnard Lakes is really nice. I also really like the wierd 'tron chords on Lizard and also Astra's Barefoot In The Head (there's a mellotron chord in the outro which terrifies me, I love it).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Mellotron Scratch :neverusethis:

One that hasn't been mentioned (and probably won't be) it its usage in Comes With The Fall's Black Cross - pedestrian, perhaps, but it adds to the... other-worldly flavor of the song.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
The Rain Song ain't bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:37 AM »
The Rain Song is a great example.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought the irony of Mellotron Scratch was that is one of the few songs on Deadwing to not feature any mellotron.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
It's probably because it made her cry.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought the irony of Mellotron Scratch was that is one of the few songs on Deadwing to not feature any mellotron.

Hence the :neverusethis:

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
First to come to mind is the last couple minutes of Dream Theater "Repentance" (assuming I'm right that it's actually a mellotron thing going on).  Other than that, Kev's example from Neal Morse "The Conclusion" is another favorite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:38 AM »
Other good mentions:

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
David Bowie - Space Oddity

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »
I'm not a Deadwing fan at all, and have never heard of the song, but just reading the title "Mellotron Scratch" and thinking of the phrase "Scratch that", meaning "delete that" or "erase that", is that the joke?

I love that line in booklet for "The Great Deceiver" (I think it is; it could be "Frame By Frame") box set by Fripp: "Tuning a Mellotron doesn't.". 

The first time I heard it, and knew what I was hearing, was "And You And I" by Yes.  Love the sound.  I didn't know that was the sound in "The Rain Song"; would that be also what is played in "Kashmir"?

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »
I'm not a Deadwing fan at all, and have never heard of the song, but just reading the title "Mellotron Scratch" and thinking of the phrase "Scratch that", meaning "delete that" or "erase that", is that the joke?

I don't think so. The song itself isn't really a joke.

Lyrics excerpt:

And I'm looking at a blank page now
Should I fill it up with words somehow?

I whispered something in her ear
I bare my soul but she don't hear

The scratching of a mellotron it always seemed to make her cry
Well maybe she remembers us collecting space up in the sky
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni