Author Topic: Kotowboy & Prog Snob Present : The Coffee Thread.  (Read 8813 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kotowboy & Prog Snob Present : The Coffee Thread.
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »
If you guys like coffee I recommend you try vietnamese one, you can purchase it online in the US (so jelly) and to me it's the best coffee there is.
I've also tried some ethiopian that was really good in taste.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »
If you guys like coffee I recommend you try vietnamese one, you can purchase it online in the US (so jelly) and to me it's the best coffee there is.
I've also tried some ethiopian that was really good in taste.

Coincidentally, my son brought me 3lbs of a Costa Rican, Ethiopian blend last night.  Can't wait to try.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
It depends on the roast, but for my money (and taste buds) the best everyday coffee is Guatemalan. I occasionally try other region's coffee and if we assume a medium roast I always come back to it. Mexican or Maragogype is a close second.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Agreed. Grinding is night and day better than the preground. If I can, I definitely will grind

I'll agree to that as well... have a little burr hand grinder that I use.  It's tedious, but the grind is uniform and the taste reflects it.  Also, I add a pinch of Kosher Salt to my grind before brewing to cut the bitterness... sounds strange but it works, especially with lighter roasts.

I've taken to a cold coffee recipe that I like quite a bit; swiped it from AB and I add a bit of Almond Milk (1/4 cup) and Cacao powder (1/2 tbsp) to the finished brew; lid up the Yeti and it's good to go.  The recipe is as follows:

40-grams freshly ground coffee
100-grams boiling water (filtered or the best bottled you can get)
Pinch of Kosher Salt
200-grams ice
100-grams cold water (filtered)

Place fresh ground coffee in a 16-oz Mason Jar and pour the boiling water on; stir and brew for 3-minutes (loosely covered).
Remove the cover and add the salt, ice, and cold water; cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6-hours (normally I'm 8-9 hours).
Filter the brew through a fine coffee filter (I use a hand strainer lined with a coffee filter over a good size bowl); you should get 8-10 oz finished product.
Enjoy!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Revival... cuz Coffee never goes away!

I grew tired of the Keurig. It's convenient, easy, and fast, but the quality just wasn't what I'm looking for. I'm no coffee snob, but I appreciate good quality things, and I take pride in creating a quality product.

So I recently purchased an SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) certified coffee maker and a manual conical burr grinder.  Now I'm slowly cycling through good beans, some single origin stuff. Right now I'm drinking a https://perccoffee.com/shop/guatemala-ixlama-lot-1. Amazing!

And I'm not a black coffee guy, even though I CAN drink it, it's not preferred. I like light milk, light sugar. Just enough to make it NOT black coffee lol.
Don't kid yourself. You're a coffee snob.  :lol

One of my teenage boys recently took a part time job at a new start up coffee chain.  They do not let the coffee beans stay on the shelf more than 3 weeks then it is tossed but the employees can take it.  They sell their various types of coffee for $30.00/ lb.  I now have a pantry full of amazing varieties.  I grind at night, set the auto brew and wake to a great pot each day.

And grinding your own beans is so much less bitter than anything you can buy pre-ground.
I use a chemex, and not waking up to the smell of fresh coffee is the one downside. It's worth it for the superior taste, but I do miss the smell.

As for grinding, I buy about 3 weeks worth of whole bean and grind it at the store. It's jut a helluva lot easier and I don't notice much of a difference in the flavor. Pre-ground coffee does tend to suck ass, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
Don't kid yourself. You're a coffee snob.  :lol
Well, in that case, I'm also a Weed, Beer, and Music snob too  :lol

I'm drinking a Barundian roasted at home 2 days ago... AMAZING!