Author Topic: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"  (Read 11619 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Tim did you ever get a picture with Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson?  I know you have hundreds of pictures

I didn't.  :sadpanda:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
February 15, 1988
The Living Room
Providence

Yes, I am baked, and yes, that is a Bon Jovi shirt. :lol

That shirt is the first thing I noticed. Oof, I thought you were cool Man.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2020, 05:15:09 PM »
I will vouch for the coolness and awesomeness of the first four Bon Jovi albums, especially the debut and Slippery When Wet............so Tim more than gets a pass...........if he was wearing this after New Jersey, well then.....I will say that the song Keep the Faith is pretty good............after that....  :\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »
Got it on the Slippery tour. Saw them on the 2nd of three nights in Mansfield Ma. I wasn't a fan of the front, but the back of the shirt was really cool. It was an event shirt so I couldn't pass it up. I ripped it up pretty good. You could see I tore off the collar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2020, 06:11:03 PM »
Got it on the Slippery tour. Saw them on the 2nd of three nights in Mansfield Ma. I wasn't a fan of the front, but the back of the shirt was really cool. It was an event shirt so I couldn't pass it up. I ripped it up pretty good. You could see I tore off the collar.

:lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2020, 07:32:12 AM »
I will vouch for the coolness and awesomeness of the first four Bon Jovi albums, especially the debut and Slippery When Wet............so Tim more than gets a pass...........if he was wearing this after New Jersey, well then.....I will say that the song Keep the Faith is pretty good............after that....  :\

I go from the self-titled debut to These Days. These Days gets a bad rap. It's not metal-pop of the band's previous records. It's a blues album and has some killer songs. AFTER These Days (I saw the tour in 1995 at Jones Beach), they just went full pop and I've not been a fan since.

But back in the Slippery-era, despite the pop-sheen to everything, things were different. You could love everything and anything. I was a big fan of Bon Jovi, but also of Queensryche, and also of Metallica. (in 88, that meant I loved New Jersey, loved Mindcrime, and loved AJFA). Three very different records, and also three damn good records.

GREAT pic though Tim. You are way out of it, but hahahahahahahaha.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2020, 02:24:50 PM »
I saw Bon Jovi at Gillette Stadium a few years back and I knew every fucking song they played. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
Bon Jovi was an amazing live band in the 80's. AMAZING! There, I said it!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »

:metal :metal What percentage of the women showing their hammers confirmed your decision?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2020, 01:05:56 AM »

:metal :metal What percentage of the women showing their hammers confirmed your decision?

We’re calling them “hammers” now???
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2020, 04:23:31 AM »
Lol maybe ask a baked out Tim from 1988 what he enjoyed the most at the concert

Offline Bentower

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2020, 04:30:13 AM »

I go from the self-titled debut to These Days. These Days gets a bad rap. It's not metal-pop of the band's previous records. It's a blues album and has some killer songs. AFTER These Days (I saw the tour in 1995 at Jones Beach), they just went full pop and I've not been a fan since.

I haven't listened to the whole These Days album nor any Bon Jovi album tbh, but I'll just throw it out there that Hey God from said album is a perfectly fine hard rock song.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »

I haven't listened to the whole These Days album nor any Bon Jovi album tbh, but I'll just throw it out there that Hey God from said album is a perfectly fine hard rock song.

Great tune. The title track is awesome, and is the best song on the record - My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms. While it is a power ballad, This Ain't a Love Song is great too.

What I love most about the record is that while Bon Jovi did have their relationship-type songs, they also really delved into social issues and more serious things.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
Lol maybe ask a baked out Tim from 1988 what he enjoyed the most at the concert

Not many hammers at Armored Saint back them.  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »
No doubt, all the women were at the Bon Jovi show.

Speaking of John Bush, I think I’ve heard before that he was considered for the lead singer of Metallica in the early 80s?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »

Speaking of John Bush, I think I’ve heard before that he was considered for the lead singer of Metallica in the early 80s?

True - here he is singing The Four Horsemen with Metallica at their 30th Anniversary shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25XSRjC8G3A

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »

He was asked by Jon Zazula, who then managed Metallica, and turned it down because he wanted Armored Saint, the band he formed with his high school friends, to succeed. By the time Anthrax asked him to join, he knew Armored Saint wouldn't go much further, so he decided to join them.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Wow cool!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2020, 12:25:42 PM »
John Bush is hands-down, my favorite frontman of all time. Not SINGER, but frontman. He sings great, has such killer energy and an electric stage presence. Totally engaging. Dickinson is a close second.

TAC -- going to send you something to post up here in a few minutes.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2020, 12:38:09 PM »
And Bush hasn’t lost a step with his vocals at all. That live album they released a couple years ago; you could have said that was recorded in 1987 and it would be believable

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »
And Bush hasn’t lost a step with his vocals at all. That live album they released a couple years ago; you could have said that was recorded in 1987 and it would be believable

I think John has gotten better. And my wife asked him about that when she met them all a couple years back. John said he really appreciates it and he just eats better, and lives healthier and works at it more. And it shows. He's better than he's ever been, IMO.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2020, 08:27:54 AM »
 This one was published today - my VIDEO interview with John Bush: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-john-bush/

And if you want to read my thoughts on the upcoming album, here's my review: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/armored-saint-punching-the-sky/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »
I received Punching the Sky yesterday and I'm listening to it now (I ordered their super deluxe package and it got here four days early, so no complaints). Really impressed with John, Joey, and the boys. Armored Saint has never really put out a bad album.

I feel a Raising Fear vibe from this material. Like they were inspired by the guitars from the past. John sounds FANTASTIC and I just keep smiling and headbanging to these songs. I'm through "Fly in the Ointment" on my first listen and I'm just so damn thrilled Armored Saint keeps delivering. It's not a throwback either. There's some piano, some nice experimentation, but its all heavy and all absolutely SAINT.   :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
That sounds great Sam. And I LOVE Raising Fear. Really looking forward to this. I have it on preorder so....I'm ready!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2020, 05:17:59 AM »
Another band that I have a hard time getting the love for.  I'm sure when Tim does a listening party it will click.  :D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2020, 05:36:29 AM »
Another band that I have a hard time getting the love for.  I'm sure when Tim does a listening party it will click.  :D

That's a possibility.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2020, 05:41:14 AM »

That's a possibility.

Nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2020, 05:48:56 AM »

That's a possibility.

Nice.

Maybe after your Merciful Fate/King Diamond one. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2020, 05:53:30 AM »

That's a possibility.

Nice.

Maybe after your Merciful Fate/King Diamond one. :P

Errr........sure.  :D

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »
Really enjoying this one on first listen. Great vibe. Chunky but slightly laid back? John sounds fantastic.

Loved Bush in Anthrax and have enjoyed bits of the Saint in the past - is this my click moment?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online WardySI

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2020, 02:06:26 AM »
Really enjoying this one on first listen. Great vibe. Chunky but slightly laid back? John sounds fantastic.

Loved Bush in Anthrax and have enjoyed bits of the Saint in the past - is this my click moment?

If ever there was this would/should indeed be that 'click' moment ;)

Have been trying enjoy both this and new Sevendust and while 7D is better than good, gotta say Armored Saint just hits outta the box and is exceptionally great. Hard to choose a highlight the whole thing is that good certainly suspect this might be their most consistent possibly best since Symbol Of Salvation \m/

ETA And as was expected, with some more spins Blood & Stone is rather difficult to turn off too ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:24:06 AM by WardySI »

Offline Grappler

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
I've only been through the album once and I'm loving it.  Huge riffs and huge vocals all over the place - the guitar work on this album really impresses me.  This disc is just rocking from start to finish and definitely has the potential to be in my top 2-3 Saint albums.

I heard John explain what Unfair was about and the first time I heard it, it nearly put me in tears.  That is one powerful song. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
I literally just finished this album a few minutes ago.

Unfair is amazing! Holy shit! :hefdaddy
Typical John Bush lyric.

But they should've either left Never You Fret off, or at least switched it with Unfair.

John is freaking incredible on this.

I heard John explain what Unfair was about and the first time I heard it, it nearly put me in tears.  That is one powerful song. 

It says dedicated to Ruby and Hart. I don't know who they are.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »

It says dedicated to Ruby and Hart. I don't know who they are.

I only have the digital version, so I didn't see that.   It's hard for me to even type it up - I caught a few minutes of their live stream with John and Joey the other day and he explained the story.

They're two kids that went to preschool with John's kids.  The family was driving their car and was hit by a drunk driver.  The parents survived the accident.  The daughter died nearly instantly, with the dad holding her hand.  The son was airlifted from the accident and there wasn't even time for the mom to get on the helicopter with him, and he died at the hospital.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2020, 07:25:16 PM »
Oh man, I'm sorry I asked.  :sadpanda: