Author Topic: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"  (Read 11718 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 02:49:47 PM »
 :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
Ressuscitating this thread to say that I'll be seeing Armored Saint this Tuesday and interviewing John Bush!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
Ressuscitating this thread to say that I'll be seeing Armored Saint this Tuesday and interviewing John Bush!!!

Awesome. If you have a second, and need a couple of questions, can you ask him these?

Fans have noticed that your voice has been much stronger and you're singing extremely well over the last several years. Have you changed anything in the way you take care of your voice, such as vocal training or different techniques?

We've been hearing you talk a bit in the press about potentially going out and doing the songs from your era in Anthrax, and then recently, how you think Saint and Anthrax should tour together. What's the likelihood now that you'll be singing some of your Anthrax songs live on tour in the next couple of years?

Piggybacking that -- do you have a song or two from your time in Anthrax that stands out that you really  miss performing? What are they?

Getting back to Armored Saint, you've said in the past that you're not really interested in going out on extremely long tours where you need to slug it out in clubs, yet Saint has been touring more and more over the past decade. Have you had a change of heart, and will you and the band be stepping up how active you all are?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'd love to hear his answers to these if you have some space for other questions.  :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »

Awesome. If you have a second, and need a couple of questions, can you ask him these?

Fans have noticed that your voice has been much stronger and you're singing extremely well over the last several years. Have you changed anything in the way you take care of your voice, such as vocal training or different techniques?

We've been hearing you talk a bit in the press about potentially going out and doing the songs from your era in Anthrax, and then recently, how you think Saint and Anthrax should tour together. What's the likelihood now that you'll be singing some of your Anthrax songs live on tour in the next couple of years?

Piggybacking that -- do you have a song or two from your time in Anthrax that stands out that you really  miss performing? What are they?

Getting back to Armored Saint, you've said in the past that you're not really interested in going out on extremely long tours where you need to slug it out in clubs, yet Saint has been touring more and more over the past decade. Have you had a change of heart, and will you and the band be stepping up how active you all are?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'd love to hear his answers to these if you have some space for other questions.  :)

Thanks so much, man!!! I had some of those questions already penned up one way or another - there's NO WAY you talk to John Bush and don't ask him about Anthrax, right? And the one you had about his voice as well - just how on Earth does he still nail those songs so effortlessly?

I'll tell you what - we usually transcribe the interviews, but I can send you the audio later on if you want. PM me!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
re: Win Hands Down - I have to say, for me personally, I think Win Hands Down is probably my favorite Armored Saint record after Symbol of Salvation. It's pretty incredible all the way around, and John and Joey seem to really have hit their stride. I love every Saint record, but they nailed it with WHD.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »
Cool interview here:
https://bravewords.com/news/armored-saint-could-release-new-album-in-late-2019-says-john-bush-video

He is the coolest dude in metal. He really is.
Even though he's from LA, he's an avid Celtics fan. He's sporting the Celtics Abbey Road t shirt (Bird, McHale, Parish, and Red)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:41:01 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 06:32:15 AM »
re: Win Hands Down - I have to say, for me personally, I think Win Hands Down is probably my favorite Armored Saint record after Symbol of Salvation. It's pretty incredible all the way around, and John and Joey seem to really have hit their stride. I love every Saint record, but they nailed it with WHD.

Yeah, it's a great record. Stellar performances all around.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:14 AM »

I wouldn't have really paid much attention to the band other than Symbol of Salvation if you hadn't recommended Win Hands Down to me 2 years ago.  Then I went and saw them live in a tiny little sports bar with maybe 100-150 other people in attendance, came home and bought every other album!  It's an incredibly solid album from start to finish, and I was glad that they played 4 songs from it when I saw them.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »

I wouldn't have really paid much attention to the band other than Symbol of Salvation if you hadn't recommended Win Hands Down to me 2 years ago.  Then I went and saw them live in a tiny little sports bar with maybe 100-150 other people in attendance, came home and bought every other album!  It's an incredibly solid album from start to finish, and I was glad that they played 4 songs from it when I saw them.

I saw them twice in support of Win Hands Down, but both were opening sets (opening for Saxon, then opening for Queensryche, which I left right after Saint - lol). I saw the title track and Mess, and then the title track again. My wife ended up seeing the gig with Metal Church they did, and apparently they played a couple more. I wish I would have gone to that one, and the ticket was mine, but I was exhausted that day, so she went instead. Had a blast.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
What a concert, guys... I loved it!!! They played Left Hook From Right Field in the encore, which was quite a surprise. And meeting John was such a great experience!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
awesome!!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
Catharsis  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
This seems to have slid under the radar, the Saint have a new album coming out in October. Win Hands Down was an incredible record so I hope this one continues that trend.

Punching The Sky - October 23rd

First single:

https://youtu.be/Ql3PAxkQy1s?list=PL8D4FB50C2E98AAA3
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 12:24:46 AM »
We were chatting about the new single a couple of weeks back in the Hard Rock........thread.   Pretty universally positive reaction to how it's looking for the new album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
The new tune is killer. Loved it on first listen, and I've purposefully not gone back to listen. Just want the album to hit me. I pre-ordered one of their deluxe bundles.  :metal

Such a huge Saint fan. They never disappoint.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
Looks like I'll be talking to either John Bush or Joey Vera about the upcoming album. Can't wait!!!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
I completely missed the discussion in the other thread. Still find it hard to follow things here because they can pop up anywhere. I happened to be browsing YouTube when I saw a suggestion for a new video. Haven't listened. The Saint is an auto-buy so I will be picking this up anyway.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
Believe it or not....even though AS were contemporaries of just about every band I was listening to at the time, I had always meant to check out their albums and never did. I even saw them open for Alice Cooper on NYE 88/89 and thought they were pretty cool.

But I love the new song. Anyone want to give me some brief insight into the highlights? Where should I start? First album and move forward?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
Believe it or not....even though AS were contemporaries of just about every band I was listening to at the time, I had always meant to check out their albums and never did. I even saw them open for Alice Cooper on NYE 88/89 and thought they were pretty cool.

But I love the new song. Anyone want to give me some brief insight into the highlights? Where should I start? First album and move forward?

Symbol of Salvation is their best, imo. And they played it in full in their last tour.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
My first Saint album was 2000's Revelation. I only picked it up at the time because John was fronting Anthrax. It is still a particular favorite of mine. Their last album, Win Hands Down, is stellar. They really brought it on that one.

They are all good. You really can't go wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Raising Fear.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2020, 06:07:12 PM »
My favorite is the debut, March of the Saint. Just pure straight up kick ass classic metal. I remember I bought that album strictly because of the cover. A few seconds in playing it, I knew I made a good decision  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
Anyone want to give me some brief insight into the highlights? Where should I start? First album and move forward?

Symbol of Salvation should absolutely be first. If you dig that, and I know you will, I suggest Revelation (2000-ish), Win Hands Down (their most recent studio release before the upcoming Punching the Sky) and then go back to the beginning with March of the Saint.

You can't go wrong with Armored Saint. They've become one of my favorite bands over the last 15 years or so.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
I second the "Symbol of Salvation" recommendation.  Then I'd go right to "Win Hands Down" the rest of the albums are all pretty good, but those two stand head and shoulders above the rest. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
March of the Saint is my favorite from AS, but yeah, Symbol of Salvation is definitely the safe bet.  That's clearly the band's go to album.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »

Spoke with Bush today. Amazing chat, and we spoke at length about the new album. And no, I didn't ask him if he' bothered with the comparisons with Bruce Willis. He was cool, but I didn't want to push my luck!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
Nice! Looking forward to the interview.

I have this awesome live photo of Bush I took in San Jose back in...I want to say it was 2015 or 2016 when they were opening for Saxon. My wife and I are huge Saint fans, but not Saxon fans, so we went to just see Saint. Took this great photo of John, and then a few years ago, when they were playing all of Symbol, I flew my wife down to LA with all the VIP stuff for the shows they were recording. She took my 8x10 I took of John and he signed and personalized it to me. Really cool. I'll snap a pic of it when I have it up on the wall (we're redoing our den) and post it up here.

But my wife and I have seen Armored Saint every time they've been close enough for us to go. I think my last time was when Saint was opening for Queensryche on the...Condition Human tour. Saint put on a killer show as always.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
Me, not social distancing with Armored Saint in 2017.....I'm throwing the horns directly to the right of the guy in the red shirt.

I can't wait for the new album!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »
Me, not social distancing with Armored Saint in 2017.....I'm throwing the horns directly to the right of the guy in the red shirt.

I can't wait for the new album!

Awesome, man!!! Was this already the tour where they played Symbol of Salvation in full?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
It's too bad both of Armored Saints live albums have been somewhat lacking in that they are both short in time.  Both albums would have been much better with an extra 6 or 7 songs on each.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Awesome, man!!! Was this already the tour where they played Symbol of Salvation in full?

Sadly, no, though during the show, John mentioned that promoters were floating the Symbol of Salvation tour that eventually happened.

This was a 3 show Midwest tour.  A festival in Chicago ringed by two headlining shows in WI.  I caught them on one of the nights in Southern WI.  At least I got to see them play 3 songs from Symbol! 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
February 15, 1988
The Living Room
Providence

Yes, I am baked, and yes, that is a Bon Jovi shirt. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
Tim did you ever get a picture with Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson?  I know you have hundreds of pictures