Author Topic: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"  (Read 11620 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Armored Saint - "Win Hands Down"
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »
I had a spin of Win Hands Down the other day to break up my Senjutsu listening.  I really enjoyed it.  The title track is a ripper.  I like Punching the Sky more but this was a strong listen.

Funny I've tried the band a few times and didn't take to them and really didn't like Bush at all.  Now I think he's the perfect frontman for the band.  Just a no bullshit meat and potatoes kind of vocalist with a cool snarl and tone.  Will keep slowly working through their albums.

I liked Win Hands Down too, especially the title track, but Punching the Sky is incredible!!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2021, 02:40:49 PM »
I had a spin of Win Hands Down the other day to break up my Senjutsu listening.  I really enjoyed it.  The title track is a ripper.  I like Punching the Sky more but this was a strong listen.

Funny I've tried the band a few times and didn't take to them and really didn't like Bush at all.  Now I think he's the perfect frontman for the band.  Just a no bullshit meat and potatoes kind of vocalist with a cool snarl and tone.  Will keep slowly working through their albums.

I liked Win Hands Down too, especially the title track, but Punching the Sky is incredible!!!!

Yeah mate, Punching the Sky is the one that has changed my mind on these guys.  Wonderful heavy metal album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
I had heard Reign of Fire on Sirius XM radio around 2007 and loved it - bought Symbol of Salvation and thought it kicked ass, but never really checked them out beyond that.

They played a show in a tiny sports bar/club about 25 minutes from my house, just over the border in WI in 2017.  I jumped at the chance to see John Bush in a small club and picked up March of the Saint in preparation for that show.  Seeing them live completely blew me away and is what pushed me to become a massive fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2021, 08:02:52 PM »
I had heard Reign of Fire on Sirius XM radio around 2007 and loved it - bought Symbol of Salvation and thought it kicked ass, but never really checked them out beyond that.

They played a show in a tiny sports bar/club about 25 minutes from my house, just over the border in WI in 2017.  I jumped at the chance to see John Bush in a small club and picked up March of the Saint in preparation for that show.  Seeing them live completely blew me away and is what pushed me to become a massive fan.

Same here. But it was in 1987 for me. Went to see the Grim Reaper/Armored Saint/Helloween tour really just for Helloween. We decided to check out a song or two of Armored Saint and I was so blown away. Stayed for their entire set and that was it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:15 PM »
I saw them open for Death Angel in Perth, Australia in 2009, but Bush got sick, so Joey Vera took on vocals. When I met Joey in 2012 at a Fates Warning show I told him I was at that gig and he was really surprised. Armored Saint and Death Angel did a cover of AC/DC's Let There Be Rock on the encore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
I saw them open for Death Angel in Perth, Australia in 2009, but Bush got sick, so Joey Vera took on vocals. When I met Joey in 2012 at a Fates Warning show I told him I was at that gig and he was really surprised. Armored Saint and Death Angel did a cover of AC/DC's Let There Be Rock on the encore.

Oh wow! That's awesome. What brought you to Australia?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2021, 03:32:10 AM »

I lived there for a while, and worked in the mining industry. Saw some great shows, including my first time on a meet and greet with DT, on the BCSL tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:55 AM »

I lived there for a while, and worked in the mining industry. Saw some great shows, including my first time on a meet and greet with DT, on the BCSL tour.

That's epic mate.  Never been to Perth personally.

I missed the Black Clouds show and meet and greet even though I got a ticket in the box set.  One of my big regrets, work took over on that one but crazy I would have seen you there if I went haha.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2021, 06:27:27 AM »
Imagine that!

My wife and I are constantly debating whether or not we should go back to Oz...maybe one day we'll get to meet after all. Which city are you in?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
Imagine that!

My wife and I are constantly debating whether or not we should go back to Oz...maybe one day we'll get to meet after all. Which city are you in?

I'm on the other side in Brisbane mate.  We'll definitely catch up if you ever come back.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
Imagine that!

I'm on the other side in Brisbane mate.  We'll definitely catch up if you ever come back.

Rodrigo's Aussie Tour is only visiting Sydney and Melbourne I am afraid  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »
Imagine that!

TAC's Aussie tour will hit Sydney, Brisbaine, and Melbourne. Probably be my Retirement gift in 10 years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2021, 06:10:30 PM »
You better hurry.................Melbourne might not exist in 10 months the way it's going at the moment  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »
You better hurry.................Melbourne might not exist in 10 months the way it's going at the moment  ;D

Well, then maybe you should move closer to Sydney or Kade, because we'd only be going to Melbourne to see you. It'd save us a chunk of time if Melbourne disappeared. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »
Imagine that!

:lol

I asked for that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2021, 11:40:56 PM »
Imagine that!

TAC's Aussie tour will hit Sydney, Brisbaine, and Melbourne. Probably be my Retirement gift in 10 years.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2021, 11:41:42 PM »

Fucking never ending mate.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »

What?! Why, what's going on?!?!?!

I went to Brisbane once, in 2006. The idea was to see the main sites in the city and then go to the Gold Coast, which I did. After two days, the weather was bad, with no signs of improving. I had already left my job, and had a ticket to go back home in a few weeks, so then I decided to visit the only other capital of Australia I hadn't seen it - Hobarth. That was a good decision at the time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »

What?! Why, what's going on?!?!?!

I went to Brisbane once, in 2006. The idea was to see the main sites in the city and then go to the Gold Coast, which I did. After two days, the weather was bad, with no signs of improving. I had already left my job, and had a ticket to go back home in a few weeks, so then I decided to visit the only other capital of Australia I hadn't seen it - Hobarth. That was a good decision at the time.

It's a shame the weather ruined your time up here.  The Gold Coast is nice, but I never have quite understood the attraction, I'm more a city guy myself.  Brisbane is decent, but certainly no Sydney.

It's Horbart too mate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2021, 05:14:34 PM »

It's Horbart too mate.

really?  I didn't realise the women were that bad down there :lol   I guess Tassie should be honoured that we include them in the discussion , unlike some maps.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2021, 05:04:13 AM »
 :facepalm:  fuck me.  Can I blame that one on auto correct?  :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2021, 03:40:00 AM »

It's Horbart too mate.

really?  I didn't realise the women were that bad down there :lol   I guess Tassie should be honoured that we include them in the discussion , unlike some maps.

Family in Hobart so go easy ;)  Family in NSW and Melbourne too, crazy scenes there atm crossing fingers things get back to some normality for everyone sooner than later :sad:

And back on topic would LOVE to see an Armoured Saint show last year's record was insane! :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2021, 05:00:55 PM »
Symbol of Salvation Live album. Where did this come from? Out today and I am just hearing about it today.

https://bravewords.com/news/armored-saint-release-live-video-for-spineless-symbol-of-salvation-live-cd-dvd-out-now
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Oh yes! I preordered it with the new DT. Got it today. I started to make a post here, but got distracted. Even comes with a DVD!!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
Oh yes! I preordered it with the new DT. Got it today. I started to make a post here, but got distracted. Even comes with a DVD!!!!

And it RULES!!!!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2021, 08:55:26 AM »
Symbol of Salvation Live album. Where did this come from? Out today and I am just hearing about it today.

https://bravewords.com/news/armored-saint-release-live-video-for-spineless-symbol-of-salvation-live-cd-dvd-out-now

I was half-watching the DVD the other day as I was ripping my latest haul of CDs into iTunes. I think I saw the back of my head in one of the audience shots. I wish they released the full concert and not just the SoS portion of it. That was a great show, bittersweet as my father passed away couple of days later, so those two will always be linked...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »
Seeing Armored Saint this week. Mrs. Samsara and I picked up a couple of VIPs. Looking forward to meeting these guys.

I met John Bush outside the venue during a show in San Jose with Armored Saint years ago. (bosk, weren't you there with me?) Just real quick (this was before the whole VIP craze). Really nice guy. Then a few years ago, when they were doing a recording for the live Symbol record in LA, I flew my wife down there, and got her VIP, and John signed a picture I took of him at ANOTHER (not the same one) show of Saint in San Jose when they were opening for Saxon (who we didn't stay for). It was a great pic, and John signed it "To Brian, You're the Man! John Bush." Nice moment. So it'll be cool to connect and share that.

I also plan to ask Bush to sign a couple of Anthrax vinyls for me, and Joey to sign Fates Warning's Long Day Goodnight. :)

There's this folded poster that was included with Punching the Sky on vinyl that looks so bad ass. I wish it wasn't folded. But I may ask all of Saint to sign that. Love the new album.

Sucks they are only getting an hour, but I'll take it. We aren't staying for WASP. Absolutely zero interest.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2022, 12:55:19 PM »
Enjoy the show!  John Bush is so awesome.  Glad to see he's better now, health-wise, and back at the mic for the Saint.  I love that he's been talking more about the potential for John Bush solo shows.  That needs to happen.  There's so much good Anthrax stuff that has been neglected for far too long.  Seeing him perform it with Paul Crook on guitar behind him would be amazing!

As for the AS/WASP show, Armored Saint is performing just as long (possibly longer) than WASP.  Since the start of the tour, Blackie has trimmed 3-4 songs from the set.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2022, 01:06:20 PM »
I feel bad for fans of WASP. That has to be ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm a gigantic fan of the John Bush-led Anthrax years. When all of that stuff was finally on vinyl, I went out and bought it all. I love the Belladonna era, but the Bush records are generally my go-tos with them. If I am in a Belladonna mood, it's usually Persistence of Time, Among the Living and Worship Music, in that order.

I'm freaking pumped to see Saint this week. It feels like forever, although the last time wasn't THAT long ago. It was 2019, I believe. But the more Armored Saint, the better. I feel like they've become better as the years have gone on. Punching the Sky is a great record, as was Win Hands Down.

I may wear my Helloween shirt to the show, to see if I can get any cool stories from 1987 from the guys. I'll tell them I have this real old fogey friend named Tim, who wore ridiculous clothes when he went to the Saint/Helloween show back then.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2022, 03:05:03 PM »
I feel bad for fans of WASP. That has to be ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm a gigantic fan of the John Bush-led Anthrax years. When all of that stuff was finally on vinyl, I went out and bought it all. I love the Belladonna era, but the Bush records are generally my go-tos with them. If I am in a Belladonna mood, it's usually Persistence of Time, Among the Living and Worship Music, in that order.

I'm freaking pumped to see Saint this week. It feels like forever, although the last time wasn't THAT long ago. It was 2019, I believe. But the more Armored Saint, the better. I feel like they've become better as the years have gone on. Punching the Sky is a great record, as was Win Hands Down.

I may wear my Helloween shirt to the show, to see if I can get any cool stories from 1987 from the guys. I'll tell them I have this real old fogey friend named Tim, who wore ridiculous clothes when he went to the Saint/Helloween show back then.  :rollin

Hah!!  Yeah, any old Helloween stories would be great and you can tell him that they made a lifelong fan on that tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2022, 03:42:57 AM »
If Blackie is getting paid the same, I'm sure he's fine with a shorter set haha.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2022, 05:46:18 PM »
Popped up in my feed...haven't watched it yet, but figured it can be of interest:

Armored Saint, reminiscing about the Symbol of Salvation era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAtImvy0tl0

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2022, 06:13:42 PM »
Popped up in my feed...haven't watched it yet, but figured it can be of interest:

Armored Saint, reminiscing about the Symbol of Salvation era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAtImvy0tl0

I actually watched that today. It's worth the watch. Joey in a UFO shirt!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2022, 08:52:18 AM »
So meeting Armored Saint and the show were absolutely awesome.

This was my sixth time seeing Saint, and they just continue to get better live. A ton of energy, John sounds amazing, They played about 55 minutes, and 10 songs total, I think. They played two from their latest record, which was great (two of my three favs from it), and then did a bunch of classic tunes that were perfect for a WASP crowd. My wife and I ended up first into the venue, and were center, up on the barricade in front of the stage. We were only staying for Saint, so we figured we'd be okay. But 10 minutes later, when the WASP folks started filing in, some meatball strolls behind us (clearly wanting us to move for him and his...lady friend), and yells out. "YEAH! WASP RULLLLLLLLLES." It took all of 20 seconds for me to turn to Mrs. Samsara and go - lets go stand in the back by the soundboard. Glad we did. Talked to a guy filming for Saint. Friends with the drummer, Gonzo Sandoval, and apparently he's shooting several shows for Gonzo and the band for the archives. Multi-cam, too. There was one by us, and another close to the stage.

The place filled up when Saint hit the stage at about 8:05 or so. They were done by 9, and we split. The guy running sound was nice enough to give me the setlist from the show, and we left pretty thrilled with the show.

So, the pre-show meet and greet was totally worth it. It's 100 per person. But that includes a t-shirt of your choice. The shirts are running $40 these days, so if you're planning to get a shirt, the M&G really was only 60 per person if you think about it. They bring you into the merch area, and you hang with the band for about 20 minutes. They just all sort of mill about real casual. The one thing I love is how personable they are. Phil Sandoval asked about what my wife and I did for a living, and he was honestly interested in what we had to say (you can tell if it's just asking to ask). Jeff Duncan was chill. He said he's a total road dog. Loves being on the road (after I asked him if he's ready to get home). Gonzo is like the don of the band, man. Chief Gonzo. Love the guy. He loves everyone right back. Joey Very I've met many times. Class act. Indulged me on questions about Fates Warning and Mercyful Fate.

But John Bush. Hahahahahaha. Before the band came in, my wife is standing there listening to me talk pretty quickly about Bush and what I want to say. She turns to me and goes "All these decades of marriage and meeting all these rockstars, and this is the first time I've seen you fanboy. The stoic Italian-New Yorker has lost it for John Bush."  :rollin :rollin :rollin

She was dead-on. ha ha. But once we actually met him, I was fine. John and I went to shake hands, he had a fist bump, I extended my hand, then we reversed, laughed, and then he brought me in for a hug.  :lol Then he hugged the Mrs. and we talked for a bit about Anthrax. He tries to be respectful, and is, and is glad they are doing what they are doing, but he misses the songs he did with them too. He signed my wife's vinyl of Sound of White Noise, and my vinyl of Volume Eight: The Threat is Real. He talked about the tour a bit, and how while he can't say the band or any of the details (I am assuming it is still WASP), that it looks like they are going out again in the spring. The other thing we talked about was how we're really happy that Saint keeps doing new music and how that's really important. No b.s., I have found the last couple Saint record to be some of their best.

After all that signing and chat, we each (there were about 10 total) took individual pics with the band. My wife and I wanted to use the restroom, so apparently we missed the group pic with all the other VIPs and the band, but whatever, I really didn't care about that. Once Mrs. Samsara and I returned, we said goodbye to the band, cracked some more jokes with Phil, and that was that. of course, 15 minutes later we ran into Jeff Duncan going to get some early dinner, and joked that we're really not stalking him, which was a good laugh.

All in all, a worthwhile experience for $100 bucks (plus the ticket, the hundo is just for the m&g). So when they tour this spring, if you're a fan and you've never met them, and plan on buying a shirt, do the m&g. It's worth the price.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:30:14 AM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com