Author Topic: Genowyn's Song Roulette v.2: Revengeance, The End  (Read 30754 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Genowyn's Song Roulette v.2: Revengeance, Round 1
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
I believe I am only waiting on Stadler's submission. I'd sorta like to have them all in before I start listening but either way I will do my first listens later tonight.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:43 AM »
Maybe he forgot he signed up, have you pmed him?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
My bad; I went offline this weekend.  Submission sent, won't happen again!!!!!!!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
No worries.

I've received all the submissions now and i'll be giving them all a few listens before I score.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »
I've listened to all of the songs twice now, want to give them one more listen before I give scores.

That said it's been a good opening round. A lot of variety and already one band I will need to check out more from.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
Awesome. Hope it's the one I sent  :tup :corn :biggrin:
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:04 AM »
Unwritten rule: If there's one standout it's probably seneca's. That said, I like to think it's mine, but there's not really a lot to check out since they only have 1 album  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
Unwritten rule: If there's one standout it's probably seneca's. That said, I like to think it's mine, but there's not really a lot to check out since they only have 1 album  :lol

Lol I'll take note of that.
Wait... One album and an EP?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »
No, just an album! If you're talking about the band I think you are, I just heard that album this week for the first time and I don't like sending something that someone else has sent me, feels dirty. That person is also in this roulette so that makes it even worse  :lol

It's an amazing album though, if it got sent I'm happy, because everyone needs to hear it.

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
 :lol It might be, but it's a band I've known about for a while. I'm so curious to see what everyone sent  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:16 AM »
I hope you didn't send one of my typical submissions or I'll stab you. Or give a 2 in my roulette :P

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
Hmm, I have no idea what your typical submissions are. And I'm gonna stay out of your roulettes for a while. I've read the list of bands and the stuff about your taste/preferences and I don't think I'd have enough music in my library to participate yet  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
I hope you didn't send one of my typical submissions or I'll stab you. Or give a 2 in my roulette :P
s0nt s0me dj0nt

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
Hmm, I have no idea what your typical submissions are. And I'm gonna stay out of your roulettes for a while. I've read the list of bands and the stuff about your taste/preferences and I don't think I'd have enough music in my library to participate yet  :lol
Yeah having a small library sucks, but you can always host a roulette to fix that :P

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:27 AM »
Well, not necessarily small, just not really much stuff I feel would appeal to your taste that isn't already on your banned list. And I definitely will, but I actually have way to many bands to check out right now. I have something like 125+ bands that I know I already like, who's discographies I want to go through before I ask people to send me more.  :lol That should last me little

Who knows, maybe next time you do a roulette I'll give it a shot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 11:22:04 AM »
I just don't have the background to put too much into guessing what someone else would like or not like.  I'm just going with songs/bands I find interesting, that aren't clearly banned, that maybe don't get talked about much here, or that have an image that isn't necessarily accurate in relation to the material.   I have no illusions that mine is "the one", but hopefully I'll get at least one "sonovabitch, I didn't realize that was THEM!".

EDIT: Oh, and going for "timely".  :)

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
Yeah, at first I tried going through Genowyn's profile to see all the music related posts, but it took way too long to find any, and the last.fm is apparently not representative. So I just picked something I liked and hoped would go over well.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
Working on write-ups right now, should be up soon.

I didn't want to give the impression that my last.fm is totally useless, it's just what I was listening to three years ago :lol. A lot of that stuff I still listen to, just some of the stuff I've gotten into *since* then isn't there. And, unfortunately, my Spotify still doesn't seem to be scrobbling even after I set it to...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Genowyn's Song Roulette v.2: Revengeance, Round 1 results, Round 2 theme
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Round One Results

Just before we get started on results I wanted to give a little legend on what each rating means to me:

5 - Really enjoyed the song. Perhaps the song is just as good as a song ranked 4, but this had some kind of X factor. Will check the band out further for sure.

4 - Great song. Perhaps just as good as a 5 but lacking that X factor. Might check it out further if I feel like it.

3 - Good song. A song I enjoyed listening to but nothing to write home about.

2 - Not my style. Just not the kind of song I'm into. Probably really good at what it's trying to be, but what it's trying to be is not something I like.

1 - What the fuck am I listening to?

With that, here we go:

5 - Thank You Scientist - My Famed Disappearing Act - Sir Walrus Cauliflower

Ohh boy I wasn't expecting to get something I liked this much right off the bat. When the song started I thought I was in for some typical technical metal stuff, but I got a pleasant surprise. There are some definite Coheed and Cambria influences here, which is not that surprising seeing as the band is signed to Evil Ink. This was so cool. Already started checking out their other work.

4 - Native Construct - Mute - Train of Naught

Again I'll mention I expected a typical Prog Metal tune here but was presently surprised. A really interesting blend of styles that I dig, but not quite as cohesive as I normally like. Still, good song.

4 - David Maxim Micic - Where is Now? - Sacul

Once more a pleasant surprise. This song really takes you on a journey, and an enjoyable one. It was surprising to hear scatting in a metal song (assuming that was scatting and not a language I'm not familiar with that happens to sound exactly like scatting), but pretty cool.

4 - Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar - Senecadawg2

I have a strange relationship with post rock. I almost always enjoy it when I hear it, but it's never been something I really want to go out of my way to hear. Ultimately it's the same with this track. Enjoyable, mellow, pretty, but not necessarily something I'm going to look into further.

4 - Streetlight Manifesto - The Three of Us - Ultimetalhead

This was cool. Is this ska? I don't know. Definitely a cool song, quite enjoyable to listen to. Not sure what else to say.

3 - The Smiths - A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours - Shadow Ninja 2.0

I've never really heard the Smiths before and this was an interesting introduction. I found the instrumental portion sort of underwhelming but the vocal performance was cool.

3 - Oceansize - Dead Dogs An' All Sorts - Parama

This was a nice little song but it leaves me feeling sort of unsatisfied. It gives the impression of being the intro song to something bigger, and I wish whatever that was was a part of it. Still, this part is enjoyable enough on its own.

3 - Thrice - The Whaler - Scorpion

I'm familiar with a few Thrice songs (specifically Daedalus, which Scorpion originally tried to send in...would have been a 5 if I wasn't familiar with it, and The Artist in the Ambulance) but that's about it. This song was pretty cool but not really inspiring me to check out the rest of their catalogue.

2 - Mahavishnu Orchestra - Meeting of the Spirits - Fluffy Lothario

Alright, so, definitely some impressive instrumentation going on here. The people playing this music are clearly talented. That being said, nothing about this song really grabbed me, even on repeated listens. This sorta stuff just really isn't my style.

2 - Angels and Airwaves - Secret Crowds - Stadler

I am hesitant to use the word emo as a genre, especially because of the negative connotations. Instead I will use the term pop-punk. I'm not really into pop-punk in general unless there's something about it that sets it apart for me. This didn't really have that. The instrumental portions were good, but I just really, really abhor this style of vocals.

Standings:
Sir Walrus Cauliflower - 5
Train of Naught - 4
Sacul - 4
Senecadawg2 - 4
Ultimetalhead - 4
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 3
Parama - 3
Scorpion - 3
Fluffy Lothario - 2
Stadler - 2

The theme for round 2 will be: Female vocalists. I did a similar round last time and was quite happy with the results. I'll prefer songs with only a female singer, but songs with two singers, one being male, are fine too.

Note: I also moved the banlist to the OP and added a few bands to it.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
oh man i was going to send you that TYS song next , RIP 5 points  :lol
...not that i actually could since it's female vocalists this round

also you are correct in that Dead Dogs An' All Sorts is part of a suite, but i actually find As the Smoke Clears to be the absolute weakest track on the EP it's from (still great though)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
Yea, that was exactly the song I expected you had sent and the one I was talking about, Walrus  :lol well deserved 5 points, gave it a 9.5/10 in my roulette but it was nearing a perfect score.

Mute is about the best balance you get off this album between cohesive and interesting, the more interesting the songs get, the tougher they are to digest, I made the mistake of sending their closing epic in Tom Bombabil's roulette and it's just way too whacky to appreciate in a few listens, if at all. But I'm glad you liked it  :metal

I'm terrible when it comes to female vocalists but I'll think of something. What's your take on electronic music?

...not that i actually could since it's female vocalists this round
You'd be surprised, friend of mine thought it was a female singer.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
I'm fucked.

I put the song in because it WASN'T "pop-punk" or "emo", at least compared to his other band.   The double set "Love" is almost... proggy in a way that Green Day (which IS pop-punk) strives for.

Ah well.   This round will be better; I have two choices, I just have to decide which one...

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:22 PM »

I'm terrible when it comes to female vocalists but I'll think of something. What's your take on electronic music?

Depends. I like Pendulum a lot and some dubstep is cool.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
i might do a bad thing and send a single off an album that's not even out yet because i've listened to it like 5 times and i'm super hyped for the album  :lol
edit: goddammit they released another single last week now i have to listen to it and pick between the two  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »
Sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
You started this thread less than a week ago and already have round one results up? I like!!  :tup :tup

Glad you enjoyed Sigur Ros a bit, at least. I was mainly just trying to get a pulse on your tastes vis-a-vis post-rock.

I'll send soon
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
Sent some female shit.

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
Sorry Parama  :lol. I figured that was one of the top things I wanted to send, and something that was likely to be sent by other people because we had been talking about it elsewhere.

Glad you liked it that much, Genowyn  :tup

Anyways, I really don't know much of anything which has female vocals because I tend to actually dislike them. But I've got a few things I suppose I could send. I guess I'll listen to some stuff again and decide what to send shortly. Btw, are only bands in the banned list banned, or are the ones who've previously had a song sent in this roulette also banned?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
You liking Where is Now? tells me a lot about your tastes, and I think I'll do well on this roulette :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
someone else send lorde this round so i don't have to, you'll probably get high points anyways

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
I'm on it, sent Buzzcut Season :neverusethis:

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
Sent. It was a tough pick between Babymetal and Selena Gomez  :\

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »
For the record I did NOT send Demi Lovato.  Although I don't think my score could be any lower if I did.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
Boy, I sure wonder what Sacul will be sending this round  :justjen