Author Topic: Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?  (Read 20507 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Why does DT not get all the respect they deserve?
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:33 AM »
It's not an easy question to answer. Many people are turned off by James' vocals, so right off the bat that stops people from paying attention to them. Then there are people who think anything more than a three or four minute song is ridiculous. You also have people who think playing fast is boring and pointless. I could go on, but there is no one definitive answer. Then again, they were nominated for two Grammy's, so just how much notoriety do people expect them to get? No other prog metal band comes close to this kind of popularity, unless you want to consider Queensryche prog.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2016, 04:37:44 AM »
My first post was a dig more than anything else. :lol
You should know by now not to overanalyze anything I say. But then again, this whole forum is about overanalyzing things to death. :neverusethis:

FTFY
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2016, 07:27:29 AM »

This particular point was only about my own experience (for me, to me, etc.) and not to be generalized per se.
I also wouldn't say your experiences disprove any theories. In my experience, classical music simply requires a far greater degree of familiarity to become "effective" so to speak. As a child I hate classical music, and it wasn't until I had studied it for years that it really clicked, and I've heard the same from others.

If it's not to be generalized, then it is useless, because you ARE generalizing.  MY experiences don't disprove your theories, ANY experience that doesn't jibe with your theory disproves your theories.   So you keep saying this stuff because it applies to you, and there are 10 people in this thread that have a different experience and you don't seem to want to adapt information that doesn't fit your "pet theory".  That's bad science, right there. 

Like I said, I don't have time or energy now to write a whole essay on a backwater forum where a handful of people will read it. I don't doubt your intelligence.

Ok.  We'll leave it at "no energy" and "backwater".  Not "I got nothin'".

Depends on your definition. I think the whole of culture is much too broad a topic to discuss, hence my preference for discussing slivers.

That's your prerogative, but you do so at your own peril.  You can't really prove a theory by defining the universe in a way that it seems to work.  You can't ignore all this evidence that undercuts your theory. 

Beethoven was perfectly capable of writing very simple though high quality pieces. Take the Für Elise for example. Since he was able to write good simple music, he must have felt limited by the lack of complexity or have had another good reason to write difficult music, or otherwise he wouldn't have taken the (much greater) effort required to do so.

Okay... doesn't have any bearing on the topic at hand though.  It's just one artist that made an artistic decision.  That happens every day; take King Crimson:  A complex band, who arguably veers into complexity for the sake of complexity and sometimes suffers for it (see Islands for example).  Then there is the song "Trio", for which Bill Bruford received a writing credit for NOT PLAYING ONE NOTE.  The premise was, for a band that errs - errs! - on the side of complexity, Bill took the simpler route, against type, and it was SO effective that the band opted to formally and financially credit him with that choice. 

For most people in their teens and twenties they're indeed gone like the wind. The name remains, but most young people rarely listen to Elvis or the Beatles nor do they have a lot of knowledge about them. Most would be hard pressed to name a single song by either of them.

And likewise Beethoven and Bach.  I'm not sure where you're going with that.  Elvis and The Beatles are iconic, and will be.  I have over 2,000 CDs, and 23,000 songs on my iPod, and my kid has asked for music from TWO bands:  Fleetwood Mac and The Beatles.  Again, only a data point, but a data point that runs afoul of your theory.

Compare the amount of academic papers on classical music and pop music and you'll see that the bollocks are not so pure. Most papers on pop music are written by anthropologists researching the cultural implications of pop music, not the music itself. The first academic society on pop music wasn't founded until 1994, and even now it remains fairly weak and little research is performed. From a theoretical point of view, there's just not so much to write about in pop music compared to dense contrapuntal music on which you can build a career.

Your argument is akin to saying "well, there is more documentation about the sun than there is documentation about Pluto, therefore... " but the sun has been in the consciousness of the human species since it's creation, and we only discovered Pluto less than 100 years ago.  I would totally expect and be completely stunned if you told me the academia was the same.   Bach wrote his works in the early 1700's; that's 300 years of scholarship, versus, say, the Sex Pistols who released their first single in 1976, a mere forty years ago.  Frankly, when you have an artist that is STILL producing relevant work (as Paul McCartney and John Lydon are) I think it is foolhardy and maybe even poor academics to try to ascertain what the long-term impact will be.  We can only compare Bach to the Beatles when the Beatles have 300 years of influence behind them.   

Beatles cover bands generally have a pretty limited following of people pretty much exclusively in the "Beatles generation age" (50-60) and will likely never be close to mainstream. The Beatles as they were recorded are gone forever which I think is problematic for their survival.

You're just guessing now.  Prove any of that.   Prove it.  According to Mark Lewisohn, there are hundreds and hundreds of hours of tapes of the Beatles in the vaults, only a mere fraction of which were tapped into for the Anthology works and the "Let It Be... Naked" album.   You're just throwing opinions around as if they are facts. 

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »

This particular point was only about my own experience (for me, to me, etc.) and not to be generalized per se.
I also wouldn't say your experiences disprove any theories. In my experience, classical music simply requires a far greater degree of familiarity to become "effective" so to speak. As a child I hate classical music, and it wasn't until I had studied it for years that it really clicked, and I've heard the same from others.

If it's not to be generalized, then it is useless, because you ARE generalizing.  MY experiences don't disprove your theories, ANY experience that doesn't jibe with your theory disproves your theories.   So you keep saying this stuff because it applies to you, and there are 10 people in this thread that have a different experience and you don't seem to want to adapt information that doesn't fit your "pet theory".  That's bad science, right there. 

This was a reply to Blob outside of our conversation. But anyway, not just any experience disproves my theory, it would require a person to be very familiar with both classical and pop music to provide a good comparison since different levels of familiarity are needed to achieve the same effect.

Ok.  We'll leave it at "no energy" and "backwater".  Not "I got nothin'".

Temperamental.

Depends on your definition. I think the whole of culture is much too broad a topic to discuss, hence my preference for discussing slivers.

That's your prerogative, but you do so at your own peril.  You can't really prove a theory by defining the universe in a way that it seems to work. 

.... A proper level of reductionism is the only way to perform science or have a discussion. Many areas of culture are almost completely unrelated to music, so there is no use in bringing them into a discussion. Or would you like to involve quantum physics and ballet dancing and Japanese tribal rituals? That's culture as well.

Okay... doesn't have any bearing on the topic at hand though.  It's just one artist that made an artistic decision.  That happens every day; take King Crimson:  A complex band, who arguably veers into complexity for the sake of complexity and sometimes suffers for it (see Islands for example).  Then there is the song "Trio", for which Bill Bruford received a writing credit for NOT PLAYING ONE NOTE.  The premise was, for a band that errs - errs! - on the side of complexity, Bill took the simpler route, against type, and it was SO effective that the band opted to formally and financially credit him with that choice. 

It's hardly just one artist who made a decision. All of the great classical composers were capable of writing high quality simple pieces that have endured as well as very complex pieces. Pop musicians on the other hand don't have a choice since they don't have the composition skills required to write complicated music. Paul McCartney couldn't write a good fugue or sonata if his life depended on it, nor could Elvis, Roger Waters, etc. King Crimson is not at all complex compared to classical music. Compared to late baroque music you could even call it quite simple.

Your argument is akin to saying "well, there is more documentation about the sun than there is documentation about Pluto, therefore... " but the sun has been in the consciousness of the human species since it's creation, and we only discovered Pluto less than 100 years ago.  I would totally expect and be completely stunned if you told me the academia was the same.   Bach wrote his works in the early 1700's; that's 300 years of scholarship, versus, say, the Sex Pistols who released their first single in 1976, a mere forty years ago.  Frankly, when you have an artist that is STILL producing relevant work (as Paul McCartney and John Lydon are) I think it is foolhardy and maybe even poor academics to try to ascertain what the long-term impact will be.  We can only compare Bach to the Beatles when the Beatles have 300 years of influence behind them.   

Bach wrote his music 300 years ago, but A. his music was largely forgotten until around 1830 when Mendelssohn brought it into the spotlight and B. musicology wasn't a field until 1940. Serious studies in Baroque music didn't start until around 1950. Therefore, what you're saying here holds no water. The number of years of scholarship is very similar. Look, you keep chiding me for throwing my opinions around as facts but you continuously do the same yourself.

You're just guessing now.  Prove any of that.   Prove it.  According to Mark Lewisohn, there are hundreds and hundreds of hours of tapes of the Beatles in the vaults, only a mere fraction of which were tapped into for the Anthology works and the "Let It Be... Naked" album.   You're just throwing opinions around as if they are facts.

Of course I can't prove that a cover band will never be mainstream, and I did not claim it as fact, I just said very likely that it will not happen. Sure, inductive arguments and all that, but a rather convincing one since it has never happened in recorded history. Note also that I used the words "I think" and "likely", meaning that I wasn't claiming my opinion as fact.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:55:30 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »
:ariich:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »
mmmmyes indubitably so, I do say.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »

It's hardly just one artist who made a decision. All of the great classical composers were capable of writing high quality simple pieces that have endured as well as very complex pieces. Pop musicians on the other hand don't have a choice since they don't have the composition skills required to write complicated music. Paul McCartney couldn't write a good fugue or sonata if his life depended on it, nor could Elvis, Roger Waters, etc. King Crimson is not at all complex compared to classical music. Compared to late baroque music you could even call it quite simple.

"Paul McCartney couldn't write a good fugue or sonata if his life depended on it, nor could Elvis, Roger Waters, etc" - Maybe because they never chose to write one? The opposite would be true as well, that Bach, Handel or Vivaldi, couldn't make a song in the style of The Beatles, Pink Floyd or King Crimson. Doesn't matter either way.

"King Crimson is not at all complex compared to classical music. Compared to late baroque music you could even call it quite simple." - I dunno, Baroque can be texturally complex, but in terms of other elements like melodic phrasing, rhythm and harmony, King Crimson can be far more complex than you think.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
I remember having a similar conversation in an I heart dubstep thread.  I'd love to get some of the hardcore dubstep apologists in on this conversation.  Whoa MAN would this get good.  At any rate, were I pregnant with this thread, I would've had a dirty back alley abortion a few pages ago.  We've gotten WAY off topic here.  Maybe this should get moved to a new "Why My Favorite Music is Better Than Yours, v. 134" thread in GMD?

« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
"Paul McCartney couldn't write a good fugue or sonata if his life depended on it, nor could Elvis, Roger Waters, etc" - Maybe because they never chose to write one?

Writing good imitative counterpoint takes years to learn and writing formal classical forms takes a lot of knowledge which pop artists simply don't have. It's not a choice, they cannot.

The opposite would be true as well, that Bach, Handel or Vivaldi, couldn't make a song in the style of The Beatles, Pink Floyd or King Crimson.

You don't know if they could have, since the style hadn't been invented yet. Many of the simplest pieces of the great composers are very similar to pop songs in many ways, so quite possibly they could have.

"King Crimson is not at all complex compared to classical music. Compared to late baroque music you could even call it quite simple." - I dunno, Baroque can be texturally complex, but in terms of other elements like melodic phrasing, rhythm and harmony, King Crimson can be far more complex than you think.

Baroque harmony is much more complex. Have you ever studied the Wohltemperiertes Klavier or Kunst der Fugue? The harmony there really boggles the mind and nothing quite like it has been done, except maybe for the late romantic period. Same for the rhythm in some of Bach's basso continuo ostinatos. And then I'm not even bringing in stuff like Bartok or Stravinsky of which the rhythmic complexity blows any prog band out of the water.

« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »
I remember having a similar conversation in an I heart dubstep thread.  I'd love to get some of the hardcore dubstep apologists in on this conversation.  Whoa MAN would this get good.  At any rate, were I pregnant with this thread, I would've had a dirty back alley abortion a few pages ago.  We've gotten WAY off topic here.

Not necessarily I'd say, the main topic was why DT , i.e. why more complex music like prog doesn't get respect or at least is not popular and we're still discussing that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
We're essentially discussing why classical music is or isn't better than pop, at this point.  So maybe not WAY off topic, but there's enough thread drift to say it's questionable.