Author Topic: That Metal Show Cancelled  (Read 5096 times)

Offline kaos2900

That Metal Show Cancelled
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vh1-classic-will-no-longer-produce-that-metal-show/

Sad news. Loved the show and hopefully someone else will pick it up. Wasn't this the only thing watched on VH1 Classic?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: That Metal Show Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
Well that sucks because it is the only "metal" or hard rock TV show out there.  Got to say though, the show would have been way more watchable if Trunk was not the host.  He is boring and the discussions sometimes got awkward or weird with him (like they would stall).  I would think a reworked version of this show with TV personalities (not radio like Trunk) would be better off, but then again it's a niche type of TV show and it may never be successful in reality.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
I just really can't stand Eddie Trunk. Coming from my best friend who works in the industry and has met Trunk on a few occasions, he is apparently extremely full of himself. I picture him being this big spoiled baby. Kind of like the metal version of Kanye.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
No one can match Kanye's ego.

No one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Trunk was the one who spoiled mangini getting the DT gig before the band did.

Plus he strokes MP's ego.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
Major bummer, because I ALWAYS looked forward to new seasons of TMS.  That said, I've always felt the same way about ET.  He seems really self important.  Plus, he's a little snotty about Steel Panther, so yeah, he can piss up a rope.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
Trunk was the one who spoiled mangini getting the DT gig before the band did.

Plus he strokes MP's ego.
That's why I guess I always feel awkward at first when JP or JR (or in the case of last night, them together) go on a Trunk program because I feel like he's more a MP fan and obvious friend.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
that sucks.  I always looked forward to the show.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »
The show is being cancelled because Eddie can't accept that metal as moved on from the 80s.  Almost every guest was in a band that started in the 70s or 80s, and I get that Eddie has his preferences, but that show reeked of nostalgia and stagnation.  I met Don J from the show once and talked about why more modern acts didn't get talked about on the show, and he answered it as diplomatically as possible while still pointing the finger and Eddie.  In a way, it might be for the best - we need a better face / spokesperson for the genre.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 02:33:54 PM »
Eddie Trunk is pretty awful. I hope a show with a better host takes the place of this.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:54 PM »
I'm pretty unaffected. I enjoyed some of it but Mason conveyed my point of view perfectly. A lot of excellent metal bands established themselves in the 90s and beyond yet they (or Trunk specifically) couldn't give less of a shit about it. That ain't doin any favors for metal since unless any other metal shows eventually emerged we're stuck with just one show carrying the torch and that gap from 1990 onward just keeps getting bigger and metal just ends up seeming like some stagnant old fart shit to up and coming kids who may have had more interest in it otherwise (your fringe crowd, not the ones who'd find metal in other ways but fringe fans are even more important to a fringe genre than mainstream genres.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »

No one.

Thank God.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »
I think Trunk is an ass, but they've explained more than once on the show why they focus mostly on older acts:  They're on VH-1 Classic, and have to cater to the (perceived) interest of that audience..  They did have some guests from newer groups from time to time, though.  And Don and Jim would talk up music by less mainstream bands.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »

No one.

Thank God.

I'm not sure if you agree/disagree.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:22:51 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »
I'm also not the biggest Trunk fan but I learned about a ton of amazing bands from the show. The most recent example is Rival Sons. I wouldn't mind if they change the format to include more discussion on newer band and even change up the hosts. Bring in Chris Jericho!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:14 AM »
I enjoyed the show for what it was. They talked about the bands I grew up listening to and it was good (mostly) to see how these bands look today. It did have its cringeworthy moments and was horribly edited.

The episode with Kirk Hammet and Michael Schenker was epic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm also not the biggest Trunk fan but I learned about a ton of amazing bands from the show. The most recent example is Rival Sons. I wouldn't mind if they change the format to include more discussion on newer band and even change up the hosts. Bring in Chris Jericho!

That's actually a good idea.  Jericho is a TV personality and would probably do very well on that show.  He is also a musician and in the scene so knows a lot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 12:09:13 PM »
I think Trunk is an ass, but they've explained more than once on the show why they focus mostly on older acts:  They're on VH-1 Classic, and have to cater to the (perceived) interest of that audience..  They did have some guests from newer groups from time to time, though.  And Don and Jim would talk up music by less mainstream bands.

yeah, but even that doesn't explain why they have Taime Downe on the show, who was a washed up has-been even before the modest hit of "House of Pain".

Look, Eddie's the guy flying the flag, I get it, but he never quite got that people were watching because of who he knew, not because of who he was.   I loved "Stump the Trunk" but not because of his nonsense or antics, but because once in a blue moon I would learn something.  But listening to Trunk recite the first eight Sabbath records in order isn't really that impressive. 

My beef with Trunk is that he is a ridiculous self-promoter.  He prides himself as being somehow responsible for things like The Winery Dogs, and that is just ridiculous.  I don't care if you prompted the introduction, there are SO many other variables...

I will miss some of the conversation with guys like Tom Keifer, who don't get an outlet otherwise, but beyond that, I probably won't miss this much.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
The only thing I would miss are the guests.  It's practically the only spot in the US to get to see hard rock musicians on TV being interviewed or better yet when they were the guest musicians. 

Definitely my favorite moment of the show was when MP was guest drummer and he did his thing and they shoot to the guest for the show (Lars) and he looks just amazed  :lol :lol :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAmCyRIJLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwHnmxtu8BQ

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »
The only thing I would miss are the guests.  It's practically the only spot in the US to get to see hard rock musicians on TV being interviewed or better yet when they were the guest musicians. 

Definitely my favorite moment of the show was when MP was guest drummer and he did his thing and they shoot to the guest for the show (Lars) and he looks just amazed  :lol :lol :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAmCyRIJLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwHnmxtu8BQ

I don't think he was amazed. I think he was just wondering if Metallica could get a drummer that good.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »

yeah, but even that doesn't explain why they have Taime Downe on the show, who was a washed up has-been even before the modest hit of "House of Pain".

Look, Eddie's the guy flying the flag, I get it, but he never quite got that people were watching because of who he knew, not because of who he was.   I loved "Stump the Trunk" but not because of his nonsense or antics, but because once in a blue moon I would learn something.  But listening to Trunk recite the first eight Sabbath records in order isn't really that impressive. 

My beef with Trunk is that he is a ridiculous self-promoter.  He prides himself as being somehow responsible for things like The Winery Dogs, and that is just ridiculous.  I don't care if you prompted the introduction, there are SO many other variables...

I will miss some of the conversation with guys like Tom Keifer, who don't get an outlet otherwise, but beyond that, I probably won't miss this much.

All of this.  And has been mentioned too many times there was awkwardnees during interviews with his guests. I do hope someone else can pick up the mantle for the genre though.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
I used this show for music recommendations. The pick of the week segment in particular introduced me to some great bands.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »

Yes, Trunk is a raving asshat but the Metal Summit radio shows ET would do with MP, Jericho, and others (I for the life of me CANNOT remember who else was involved in the Metal Summits) were gold. Especially since ET would LET Jericho and MP take the show over. Say what you will about Jericho AND MP, but between the both of them they made up for the fact that ET is stuck in the metal of the 70s/80s. People just do not realize how ON Jericho is with later metal, same with MP.

As for TMS itself, it was good to a point. I liked how Don and Jim would throw in more recent recommendations on Pick of the Week. We'll see what happens, but I've always thought that ET is just an insufferable asshole.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
I always loved the idea of the show, but it wasn't executed very well. Like people have already said, Trunk isn't very good on television.

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 02:30:16 AM »
I had no problem with it, and watched parts of it online.

That one guy with the middle hair part was creepy or something to me. He had this intense stare. The other guy was kind of annoying, and Trunk had the most knowledge. So I guess it all balanced out well. The transitions and segues were kind of rough, outside of tossing it to the rock wanker on the top of the bleachers.

So as others have said, Trunk is better on the radio- I think all three are better for that format.
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »

Yes, Trunk is a raving asshat but the Metal Summit radio shows ET would do with MP, Jericho, and others (I for the life of me CANNOT remember who else was involved in the Metal Summits) were gold. Especially since ET would LET Jericho and MP take the show over. Say what you will about Jericho AND MP, but between the both of them they made up for the fact that ET is stuck in the metal of the 70s/80s. People just do not realize how ON Jericho is with later metal, same with MP.

As for TMS itself, it was good to a point. I liked how Don and Jim would throw in more recent recommendations on Pick of the Week. We'll see what happens, but I've always thought that ET is just an insufferable asshole.

But this points to one of the problems with the whole endeavor:  it was always treated as some big inside joke, which is fine, except it presupposes a lot.   I get it, Jericho is a knowledgeable guy, but if you're a fan and you're not down with the "New Jersey Triumverate" of Trunk and his cronies (Jim and Don), Portnoy and his cronies (thinking the Anthrax guys, especially Charlie) and Jericho and his cronies, you're kind of out of the loop.

I'm the biggest Portnoy fan here (I seriously may be) but that's not always enough.  I don't know Jericho (musically) from a row of assholes, and what I heard of Fozzy isn't enough to make me want to change that (Though I must say, when Portnoy went in and brought some gems from his "vault" that was radio gold, Jerry. Gold.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:06:32 AM »
Jericho actually introduced me to my favorite band, Iron Maiden.

I used to love wrestling as a kid and Jericho was one of my favorite wrestlers.  His first two Fozzy albums were just covers and both albums had an Iron Maiden song (Where Eagles Dare and The Prisoner).  Since I loved him, I got his albums and loved both of those songs... next thing you know I am a die hard maiden fan.  I can't say I listen to Fozzy anymore, but I have a lot of love for Jericho.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Can't say I'll miss it much. Radio show is always there if I care enough.