Author Topic: RIP Glenn Frey  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: RIP Glenn Frey
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 05:37:51 AM »
RIP Glenn. I enjoy many Eagles songs, and their harmonies are so beautiful. This year hasn't started good.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »
Yep 20 years apart, although my father has always been surprisingly healthy for his age so people always assumed he was younger. He liked ém young you know.  :lol

Nothing wrong with that.   ;)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:02 AM »
Yep 20 years apart, although my father has always been surprisingly healthy for his age so people always assumed he was younger. He liked ém young you know.  :lol

No no, I guess my mother liked men with experience.... :zydar:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 05:57:48 AM »

No no, I guess my mother liked experience.... :zydar:

Not to steer this off track, but I just want to add that women in their 20s seem to like older men these days. The immaturity level of guys their age is a turnoff it seems.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
I listen to the Eagles on an almost daily basis. This blows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:25 AM »
I think the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California is one of the best things I've ever heard, and that's saying a lot.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 06:27:38 AM »
It's pretty interesting that they started the show with their biggest hit, usually bands leave them for the end of the show. Great version indeed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »
^
....with the lead singer sitting behind his drumkit.  One had to change their 'mindset' and focus when sitting in the audience. 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 07:03:05 AM »
RIP Glenn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
I'm sorry, I know when someone passes, it's popular to say how great they were, and what a great person they were, and how they changed the landscape, and yadda yadda yadda (even when it is revisionist history). 

Sorry, but I was never a huge Eagles fan, and that which I like was usually centered around Joe Walsh (a guitar monster, if you ask me) or, to a lesser degree, Don Henley (don't like him, but love his voice).   I thought Glenn Frey was a d***, and most of his tunes (though, to be fair, I'm referring to his solo stuff) is horrible.  For all the stick that Phil Collins took for being a sellout from the proggier Genesis, I thought Frey was a far worse offender.   "Smuggler's Blues" is easily on my top ten least favorite songs from the 80's lists. 

Having said that, as contentious as the Eagles were, I think to a man they all point at Glenn Frey as the man that got that band where they wanted to go.  He was a driven man.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
Yeah, I doubt Felder or Meisner bring flowers to the guy's funeral. Hell, he probably has a posthumous restraining order barring them from being within five states of his funeral.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
When I saw the Rock Doc I always thought it was Henley that was the a-hole but it was Frey.

Can't deny though the man's ability to write a beautiful melody and hook.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
My favorite Glenn Frey song was written by Jackson Browne  :lol

Still, it's his voice being silenced that shocked me. I have no idea if he was an ass or not. Eagles vocal harmonies were a huge part of my musical growth and having the "new kid in town" gone kinda bummed me out yesterday.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
Pretty big loss.  I always loved his work, in the Eagles and his solo stuff.  Great songwriter and fantastic singer. 

Never got the chance to see the Eagles live.  Dammit.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
I like the Eagles and Glenn Frey was a big part of the Eagles, so I mourn the loss of the musician that Glenn Frey was. On this day I couldn't care less if he was an ass, hell probably half of my musical heroes are dickheads, but when they die I feel sad.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
I think the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California is one of the best things I've ever heard, and that's saying a lot.

I've always thought this as well.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
Saw them once, I think it was on that Hell Freezes tour (or the one after) and Hotel California live was a spectacle to behold.   Sometimes those songs are more cliché than substance, but - and I repeat, I'm not the hugest Eagles fan - seeing that song live explained everything. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »
Pretty big loss.  I always loved his work, in the Eagles and his solo stuff.  Great songwriter and fantastic singer. 

Never got the chance to see the Eagles live.  Dammit.

RIP

I got to see them 3 times.  The second time was the Hell Freezes over tour and my wife could not go because Glenn had surgery and the concert was rescheduled.  I took my 10 year old daughter and she was standing on the seat signing along.  They but on a great show.  I was really bitter when they let go Felder.  Loved his contributions to the band.  If anyone is interested, Felder but out a book about this early days and his career with the Eagles.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline robbob

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »
Chaos...unfortunately most of our musical heroes are of the age where these things start taking lives. When you consider that not one of us gets out of here alive, it's gonna happen. Consider that someone in their 20s now, if they remain healthy, will see probably all music heroes from the 70s shuffle off this mortal coil in their lifetimes.

Yep.   I think Mike Portnoy have stated it best regarding these recent passing where it's going to be more and more of an occurrence now than at the rate that it used to be.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_we_are_about_to_enter_a_new_unprecedented_era_of_rock__roll_deaths.html

Unfortunately, This. It just takes a quick second to logically think about it. A lot of our musical hero's are not young anymore.

RIP Glenn, Lemmy and Bowie