Author Topic: RIP Glenn Frey  (Read 2992 times)

Offline T-ski

RIP Glenn Frey
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
another one gone too early.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

Re: RIP Glenn Frey
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
Wow... January 2016 just sucks for celebrity deaths.

RIP
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
WTF....  I was going to start a post for someone else I saw that died. The actor who played the mayor in the Ghostbusters movies died a few days ago. Also Celine Dion's husband and brother died within a few days of each other, both from cancer.  :sadpanda:

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
So many memories of the Eagles.  I can still remember seeing the Eagles and Glenn pulling down those shades while singing 'James Dean'.  RIP Glenn. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
Shit... I just don't... even... I can't...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Glenn Frey Dead at 67
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
Glenn Frey of the Eagles has just died. I grew up enjoying their music and soaring harmonies. Holy crap. RIP
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »
They were my first concert. RIP.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Glenn Frey Dead at 67
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
Christ almighty. Fuck you, 2016.

Shame...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »
I think I'm going to cry.

One song I NEVER get tired of is You Belong to the City.

I did not KNOW that he wrote a LOT of the songs that were sung by Don Henley and other members of the Eagles. and he wrote some GREAT ones, either for himself or not. Take it to the Limit. Hotel California. The Long Run.  Good Day in Hell. Smuggler's Blues. James Dean. I don't much care for "romantic" songs, but The Best of My Love was a good one.

But this is getting to be too fucking much!!

To damn many CANCER deaths!!

I wasn't going to say this before, and I don't CARE how PARANOID it sounds, but this is starting to feel like too much of an epidemic NOT to have some PURPOSE behind it...I know the word conspiracy has been overused...but please THINK about it...!...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
I come from a pretty musical family. My mom sang opera with the NY Met. Her two sisters were amazing singers as well. When I came along, I was not too shabby. So I grew up singing Eagles harmonies with my mom, aunts, and cousins. Being the only guy, they let me sing lead. I love the Eagles music. Despite moving on to an appreciation for other genres, especially prog, their music has a special place in my heart.

I had tickets to see Zeppelin here in the states, when JHB died in tour rehearsals at Pages house. Fast forward 15 years later. I had tickets to see the Eagles, He'll Freezes Over tour. I had seen Henley many times, but never got the chance to see the Eagles.

The same day, Plant and Page were in town on the No Quarter tour. A friend called with tickets. I declined a chance to probably ever see the closest incarnation of one of my favorite bands, Zeppelin, to see the Eagles. That's what their music meant to me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
Such a bad run going on here.  The Eagles harmonies were only challenged by the Beach Boys and Glenn was such a big part of it.  R.I.P.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:36:04 PM »
Chaos...unfortunately most of our musical heroes are of the age where these things start taking lives. When you consider that not one of us gets out of here alive, it's gonna happen. Consider that someone in their 20s now, if they remain healthy, will see probably all music heroes from the 70s shuffle off this mortal coil in their lifetimes.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »
Chaos...unfortunately most of our musical heroes are of the age where these things start taking lives. When you consider that not one of us gets out of here alive, it's gonna happen. Consider that someone in their 20s now, if they remain healthy, will see probably all music heroes from the 70s shuffle off this mortal coil in their lifetimes.

Yep.   I think Mike Portnoy have stated it best regarding these recent passing where it's going to be more and more of an occurrence now than at the rate that it used to be.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_we_are_about_to_enter_a_new_unprecedented_era_of_rock__roll_deaths.html

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »
Just listened to Side Two of 'Hotel California', one of my favorite album sides, with 'The Last Resort' being one of my favorite album closers.

Not a 'big' fan, but my friends were, so I was exposed in the right amount of doses to a style that wasn't as heavy as my preferences of the time.  I mean, how could I like something as country-ish as 'Ol' 55'?  But, I didn't like it, ....I loved it!!!

Saw them during 'The Long Run' tour.  (Joe Walsh for President!)  btw, 'Greatest Hits' is still #2 in all time sales.  Amazing.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »
I understand what you're saying but: Ronnie, Chris, Lemmy, Alan, Richard W. from Pink Floyd, David, Glenn, and GOD knows how many OTHERS from the last few years that I'm not thinking of or have FORGOTTEN about This cancer thing is just getting too weird!

If SOME of these deaths had been heart attacks, strokes accidents, etc. I'm not saying that would make me feel any BETTER about them being gone, but it wouldn't seem so BIZARRE as this cancer "epidemic" looks!

Also: What about Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Jagger, Richards, Wood, Chuck Berry and so many rockers that are even OLDER than that (70s & 80s) that are still around. That ALSO makes me think that all of these cancer deaths are NOT just a "normal part of life..."
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »

Absolutely this.  And it won't be just our musical heroes, but all walks of celebrities (sports, movies, TV etc...)

Such a bad run going on here.  The Eagles harmonies were only challenged by the Beach Boys and Glenn was such a big part of it.  R.I.P.

So much this. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »
Can we just start 2017 already? I feel this year is a lost cause.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
Shit... I just don't... even... I can't...

I know. I agree.

The Eagles were a HUGE part of my musical upbringing thanks to my dad. Hotel California was a staple album in his household, and I remember it clearer since it was after my folks split up.

Anyway... HUGE loss for the music world today. RIP Glenn - you were an amazing musician.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »
Calm down, CS.

Glenn did not have cancer, okay? Take a breath and go listen to his music. Honor the man instead of death. Please.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
I understand what you're saying but: Ronnie, Chris, Lemmy, Alan, Richard W. from Pink Floyd, David, Glenn, and GOD knows how many OTHERS from the last few years that I'm not thinking of or have FORGOTTEN about This cancer thing is just getting too weird!

If SOME of these deaths had been heart attacks, strokes accidents, etc. I'm not saying that would make me feel any BETTER about them being gone, but it wouldn't seem so BIZARRE as this cancer "epidemic" looks!

Also: What about Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Jagger, Richards, Wood, Chuck Berry and so many rockers that are even OLDER than that (70s & 80s) that are still around. That ALSO makes me think that all of these cancer deaths are NOT just a "normal part of life..."

wtf

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Can we just start 2017 already? I feel this year is a lost cause.

I'm with YOU!

Let's all go into suspended animation, and maybe about a YEAR from now we can all wake UP from this bad dream!

I swear it's getting to the point where I'm getting NUMB from all the bad SHIT that keeps happening, and I just EXPECT everything to keep getting WORSE and WORSE!!!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »

wtf

How do you MEAN that???

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
 :| :| :|

Fucking hell, man. Go make another thread about it (whatever it is that you're trying to imply...some kind of weird cancer conspiracy...some kind of alien cancer attack, cancer becoming sentient and attacking awesome older folks, I don't fucking know) and let this thread be for the simple respects and honoring.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »
FUCKING HELL MAN!!!

All I did was express an OPINION!

I did NOT come here to start an argument, and I sure as HELL didn't post any of the INSANE THEORIES that you are ACCUSING me of!

If you don't LIKE my opinions, IGNORE them!!!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
Frey is now and forever a star in the constellation along the Seven Bridges Road. RIP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:47 PM »
Not a fan, but a tragic loss, good guitarist.  Way too young.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
FUCKING HELL MAN!!!

All I did was express an OPINION!

I did NOT come here to start an argument, and I sure as HELL didn't post any of the INSANE THEORIES that you are ACCUSING me of!

If you don't LIKE my opinions, IGNORE them!!!

Ah, chaossystem, respectable as ever.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
Come on guys, that's not needed in this thread, everyone let it go.  Respect this man and his career.  As I said I wasn't a big fan, but really respect his work.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
You're right. Not for the first time, I let my temper get the better of me. We shouldn't have let it go as far off-topic as it did. The memories of these great artists deserve better that.

However, Outcrier, I feel compelled to ask: why does it seem like you're trying to pick yet ANOTHER argument with me?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 10:55:49 PM »
Like Wolfking said, let it go. Especially in this thread. We are here to pay our respects to an artist no longer with us.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 11:34:33 PM »
Not a huge Eagles fan but I liked them well enough... RIP Glenn

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 02:24:47 AM »

Yep.   I think Mike Portnoy have stated it best regarding these recent passing where it's going to be more and more of an occurrence now than at the rate that it used to be.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_we_are_about_to_enter_a_new_unprecedented_era_of_rock__roll_deaths.html
Yea i've been thinking about that lately, lot's of music icons and bands are getting in to age and in 10 years alot of those bands and artist are but a memory. With all this I can't help thinking about my own folks and how my father who's 87 and mother who's 67 are basically living on overtime especially my father. I hate death!  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 03:12:41 AM »
Wow...that's a big age difference between your parents! Mine are in their late seventies and early eighties, and not in the best of health. That might be part of the reason for me being so on edge about all of this...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:29 AM »
Yep 20 years apart, although my father has always been surprisingly healthy for his age so people always assumed he was younger. He liked ém young you know.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 05:36:27 AM »
Another sad loss, RIP Glenn.

I always liked the Eagles and Hotel California is one of the best records ever made.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D