Author Topic: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)  (Read 28065 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »
Excellent, great job Kix!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
Oh well.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
#11 In both the UK and the US.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »
https://www.billboard.com/charts/canadian-albums

Apparently it's number 8 here in Canada.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
Ouch.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Is 11 bad?  I mean, DT has never been a "do it for the chart standings" kind of band, so I imagine they don't really care all too much.  I don't really know much about how this kind of thing would affect a band and their label, though.

EDIT: 1 on Hard Rock is pretty cool!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
#11 is not bad.  But I think that, even though it is ultimately fairly meaningless, everyone would have hoped that it would have been another "top 10" opener.  But by the same token, given that the album was such a risky departure from the norm, it is understandable that it did not open with as high a chart position. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »
And it is a double album. It would take more commited buyers to buy it because of the higher price tag.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
And it is a double album. It would take more commited buyers to buy it because of the higher price tag.

Well, Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls is also a double album, yet I was surprised to see it released here in Argentina at the equivalent to $13 (which here is usually the price of single-disc albums).

The Astonishing, as I was expecting, is much more expensive: around $24. So I would understand if casual fans would want to skip buying this one.

Someone from a record store told me Maiden's album was a lot cheaper because they belong to a bigger label, and also that the band ordered the label to keep the prices low. Can anyone confirm any of this?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:22:20 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
Is 11 bad?  I mean, DT has never been a "do it for the chart standings" kind of band, so I imagine they don't really care all too much.  I don't really know much about how this kind of thing would affect a band and their label, though.

EDIT: 1 on Hard Rock is pretty cool!

11 is not bad at all.  DT's highest I think was 6, but around 10 is what I expected.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »
#11 In both the UK and the US.

Countries with poor taste  :P

It was nr 3 in Sweden  :xbones

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »

Well, Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls is also a double album, yet I was surprised to see it released here in Argentina at the equivalent to $13 (which here is usually the price of single-disc albums).

The Astonishing, as I was expecting, is much more expensive: around $24. So I would understand if casual fans would want to skip buying this one.

Someone from a record store told me Maiden's album was a lot cheaper because they belong to a bigger label, and also that the band demanded the label they had to keep the prices low. Can anyone confirm any of this?

It was $18 at FYE here in the States. Is $18 really that much dough? With the lower gas prices you save that much every week on gas.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »
Someone from a record store told me Maiden's album was a lot cheaper because they belong to a bigger label, and also that the band ordered the label to keep the prices low. Can anyone confirm any of this?

Not sure, but that could be right.  And I think it is easier to keep the price of a double album to only a couple of bucks more than standard if it is packaged the way Maiden's was--in a slim jewel case that is ultimately the same size as a standard jewel case.  The Astonishing was packaged in such a way that it is simply more expensive packaging. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
Does anyone know how many albums we sold?

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »
It was $18 at FYE here in the States. Is $18 really that much dough? With the lower gas prices you save that much every week on gas.
15$ on Best Buy (US), plus 7% taxes.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:54 AM »

I saw someone mention somewhere else that the first week sales were around 25K in the US. That seems kind of low to me, so I'm waiting for more definitive proof. I mean, BC&SL sold around 40K in week 1, then again, that was in the MP era, so who knows.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »

I saw someone mention somewhere else that the first week sales were around 25K in the US. That seems kind of low to me, so I'm waiting for more definitive proof. I mean, BC&SL sold around 40K in week 1, then again, that was in the MP era, so who knows.

And was 7 years ago, as ever year record sales decrease. 

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
We can extrapolate. Number 8 sold 33,000. Number 0 sold 32,000. Number 10 sold 31,000. So number 11 sold less than that.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
https://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=a

Dutch Charts:

1. David Bowie
2. Adele
3. Justin Bieber
4. Dream Theater
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »
11 isn't bad, but it's still a drop. Then again, it's hard to compete against Adele, Justin Bieber and Rihanna.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline emtee

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »
Top ten would be nice but the actual units sold is what I always focus on. Looks like this was a step backwards in the US. Not sure
of the last 2 albums units sold but generally they between 32K - 40K first week in the US.

Maybe just another sign of the decline of physical music.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
^That and also DT's decline in the U.S. >:(

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
Or less people buyng just because it is more commitment money-wise because of the much higher price tag. In terms of gross revenues, this album may have earned more than the previous albums.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
Or less people buyng just because it is more commitment money-wise because of the much higher price tag. In terms of gross revenues, this album may have earned more than the previous albums.

Very good point, people who don't know Dream Theater or haven't listened to them in a while are less likely to take a chance with a more expensive album.

Offline rab7

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
There's also the increase of streaming availability. While I bought my copy because I like holding the physical CD in my hands, there's so many other ways to listen nowadays.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »
Yeah in like 15 years you can find your gatefold copy of The Astonishing and go I remember this :)

But in 15 years you can't look back at the that nice MP3 you bought of The Astonishing with it's postage stamp sized artwork.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
There's also the increase of streaming availability. While I bought my copy because I like holding the physical CD in my hands, there's so many other ways to listen nowadays.

They also officially released the whole album on YouTube, and more and more people have stuff like Spotify each year, which I think still counts in the totals, but not to the extent of buying the album.

I got the physical CD ($14.99 at Best Buy) because I wanted the higher quality, I knew I was going to listen to it a lot in my car (it's still quicker to just have the CD in your player than to wait for Spotify to load on your phone, plus the better quality), and also to reward the band for all the hard work they put into this.  I do think Spotify kind of shafts artists, so if they go the extra mile and put out good work, I'll buy the CD.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »
I think the only time I buy an album from iTunes is when I can't afford the physical product or I think the packaging is shit.

Last album I bought digitally was Sonic Highways because the packaging for the CD was like ::) wtf is this ? You can afford a jewel case AT LEAST.

Not a piece of the flimsiest card known to man folded in half with the CD inside. Fucks sake.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »
Yeah in like 15 years you can find your gatefold copy of The Astonishing and go I remember this :)

But in 15 years you can't look back at the that nice MP3 you bought of The Astonishing with it's postage stamp sized artwork.

When I rip the CDs to my computer, I always delete the crappy 200x200 pic of the art and replace it with the largest and most detailed pic on google images I can find and, like:

This: vs This (click for full 3.5k x 3.5k size)

I find that sorts out the problem of small album art. Also, I took my desktop background from the second image:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Nice ! I will too :) xxx

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »
It's quite an epic experience loading up your computer and having a massive NOMAC staring in your face.  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
It's quite an epic experience loading up your computer and having a massive NOMAC staring in your face.  :metal

:nomac: Ah now - ye wouldn't be thinking of listening to any of that music nonsense now would ye ?

[for some reason this Nomac is from Dublin]