Author Topic: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)  (Read 28062 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2016, 08:08:58 AM »
I think #11 is still pretty damn incredible for a band like Dream Theater, let alone #6 several years back.

Black Clouds place might have been a fluke because of Portnoy's hype he created.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:14 AM »
Black Clouds place might have been a fluke because of Portnoy's hype he created.

Or it may have been based on DT having a growing fanbase who wanted to buy the new album. It was a steady uphill progression at the time, so nothing about it suggests fluke or hype.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2016, 08:29:29 AM »
Yeah, I think that was the peak of DT's overall popularity.

Offline emtee

« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
It's not a favorable trend but for the most part it's industry wide. Frankly I don't know how RR recoups the $$ for the studio. It's
hard to imagine album sales worldwide would cover $400K - $500K studio time. It's also hard to envision a path for the studio's
continued profitability in this continual market decline. DT must still make them a decent profit though because I remember them being
pretty pumped when DT signed the latest contract.

I really don't know if MP being gone is a factor but my gut instinct says it is, albeit even if it only represents a 5% - 10% decline in
sales. Those numbers show a 25% overall decline since BC&SL. That is pretty significant. For us no big deal...but for executives
(no matter what industry) negative trend lines are nobody's friend.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
Those numbers show a 25% overall decline since BC&SL. That is pretty significant. For us no big deal...but for executives

If you compare it to the decline of album sales in general, you'll probably find they're relatively holding steady. If there was a major issue, I doubt they would have let DT record this double album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
It might also be possible that more people held off buying it until they heard it or read the reviews after it was released given the significant stylistic changes for TA.  Maybe we will see less of a drop off on following weeks?

I do think the reduction of metal has hurt sales.  It is sad because there is so much excellent music they are missing out on. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
People would rather listen to the hippity hop.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »
I think their next album will sell better.

Many were probably put off by the concept and double albums don't seem to do as well.

I hope the next album is just a collection of strong songs that aren't weighed down by a concept (something like Awake)

Megadeth just came back with a killer album after what was considered a dud by many fans and hit #3 on the Billboard charts.

Dream Theater can easily do the same.

They make their money touring anyway.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »
I think their next album will sell better.

Many were probably put off by the concept and double albums don't seem to do as well.

I hope the next album is just a collection of strong songs that aren't weighed down by a concept (something like Awake)

Megadeth just came back with a killer album after what was considered a dud by many fans and hit #3 on the Billboard charts.

Dream Theater can easily do the same.

They make their money touring anyway.

TA has done really well sales-wise though.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
2nd week, the Astonishing dropped from 11 to 126 on the charts.

For comparison:

BC&SL dropped from 6 to 46
ADTOE dropped from 8 to 57
DT12 dropped from 7 to 38

So it's a bigger second week drop-off than normal. Still not bad, but worth noting.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
Those numbers show a 25% overall decline since BC&SL. That is pretty significant. For us no big deal...but for executives

If you compare it to the decline of album sales in general, you'll probably find they're relatively holding steady. If there was a major issue, I doubt they would have let DT record this double album.
This.  Decline?  Sure, but there's been a decline for everyone who isn't Adele.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »

Guys if you had read the first part of my post you would both see that I said this very thing. It's an industry wide trend.

All I'm saying is that executives don't like negative/declining trends. They expect performance. Record labels are no different
than any corporation.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »

Yup. Adele definitely keeps getting bigger :neverusethis:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
Guys if you had read the first part of my post you would both see that I said this very thing. It's an industry wide trend.

All I'm saying is that executives don't like negative/declining trends. They expect performance. Record labels are no different
than any corporation.

TA sells more for each unit, though. The problem is reduced massively due to that (as well as people buying expensive deluxe editions).

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »

than any corporation.

That huge of a drop isn't due to the decline.  It is due to the album not being received as well as past albums. 

If they put out an album that is better received next the decline won't be as steep.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:26 PM »
How do you know that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »

than any corporation.

TA sells more for each unit, though. The problem is reduced massively due to that (as well as people buying expensive deluxe editions).

I think what you mean is net revenue is higher per unit for TA.

I get a vibe that some people feel a need to jump into DT support mode when talking about this and that's fine. I support them
by buying multiple copies of the albums I love. I bought 2 copies of TA and sent one to my daughter in Florida. But the facts
really can't be disputed as it relates to DT units sold in the US. The trend is negative for multiple albums now. Yes it's industry wide
and we all know that but for a very long time DT and it's unbelievably loyal fans kept the bands trend line moving up. Now it's
moving down. It's OK if they peaked and are slowly moving downward now. It's a normal thing for a band that's been around
this long.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »

I really don't know any numbers, but I'm reasonably certain Steven Wilson's album sales have been pointing up, not down.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »

than any corporation.
But we're looking at sales alone here, whereas Billboard has, quite rightly, begun recognising the emergence of streaming as well. And we don't have the stats on that, presumably.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
I think what you mean is net revenue is higher per unit for TA.

I get a vibe that some people feel a need to jump into DT support mode when talking about this and that's fine. I support them
by buying multiple copies of the albums I love. I bought 2 copies of TA and sent one to my daughter in Florida. But the facts
really can't be disputed as it relates to DT units sold in the US. The trend is negative for multiple albums now. Yes it's industry wide
and we all know that but for a very long time DT and it's unbelievably loyal fans kept the bands trend line moving up. Now it's
moving down. It's OK if they peaked and are slowly moving downward now. It's a normal thing for a band that's been around
this long.

Not jumping into 'DT support mode', just saying that they aren't going to be in trouble in terms of money. It may have even made more money than DT12. I don't think that's a completely irrational thing to think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
I don't think they will be "in trouble" financially.  But that being said, let's not make any mistake about it that doing something so different is a big risk for a band, and that risk does indeed translate to financial risk. 

I have posted info before and there is lots out there on the Internet about album sales and how little money a band actually sees from an album.  There are tons of hidden expenses and loads of people who need to get paid in order for an album to be recorded, CDs and records pressed, and those albums to find their way to music retailers so that we can buy them.  Those costs all need to be covered before a band sees a penny from album sales.  It isn't just the cost to rent a studio and the materials costs to press those physical albums.  Those expenses are only the tip of the iceberg.  I know for a fact that, in the past, a band would have to sell hundreds of thousands of albums before seeing a penny from album sales (in other words, the band doesn't just get a percentage of how ever many albums are sold; all the up-front costs get paid first as the album hits the shelves and begins selling copies, and only after all the expenses have been covered and everyone gets paid does the band finally start to get a cut of whatever sells after that point).  I know this has changed somewhat in the last decade in terms of the actual number of units that need to be sold before a band sees a profit, but I do not know how much, and I know for a fact that the general principle still stands:  there are a ton of "hidden expenses" associated with making an album such that a band still must sell a LOT of albums before seeing any of the revenues from that album whatsoever.  How that translates to a band like DT who sell the types of numbers DT has sold on recent albums means that either, (1) the band eventually sees very small revenue numbers from album sales, or (2) the band takes a loss on album sales (which means they end up owing money to the label and to others associated with the process), but uses album sales as a loss leader to be made up on tour. 

Touring has its own set of issues.  Not sure whether you have seen what has been posted in the past, but again, there is a lot out there on this forum and in the Web in general about how, similarly, there are a TON of hidden expenses and folks who need to be paid associated with touring such that a band generally gets paid only a small fraction of what the general public assumes they would get paid for a tour.  DT make money, sure, but they aren't rolling in the bucks from going on tour.  If the album sales are a financial loss, the money they owe will generally come right off the top of the tour revenue and be an added expense before the band sees any touring money as well. 

And that brings us to the tour for The Astonishing.  This is a risky tour.  For starters, there is the obvious fact that this album is different from the norm.  That in and of itself could keep people away.  Second, the fact that they are not playing any additional songs and are ONLY presenting The Astonishing could keep people away.  For a band like DT that already operates on relatively thin margins financially, it is entirely possible that this album and tour cycle could generate substantially less revenue than past albums.  It isn't inconceivable that it could even generate a loss.  At this point, we just don't know. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:19:08 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »
^Excellent post and spot on.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
I don't think they will be "in trouble" financially.  But that being said, let's not make any mistake about it that doing something so different is a big risk for a band, and that risk translates to financial risk. 

I have posted info before and there is lots out there on the Internet about album sales and how little money a band actually sees from an album.  There are tons of hidden expenses and loads of people who need to get paid in order for an album to be recorded, CDs and records pressed, and those albums to find their way to music retailers so that we can buy them.  Those costs all need to be covered before a band sees a penny from album sales.  It isn't just the cost to rent a studio and the materials costs to press those physical albums.  Those expenses are only the tip of the iceberg.  I know for a fact that, in the past, a band would have to sell hundreds of thousands of albums before seeing a penny from album sales.  I know this has changed somewhat in the last decade in terms of the actual number of units that need to be sold before a band sees a profit, but I do not know how much, and I know for a fact that the general principle still stands:  there are a ton of "hidden expenses" associated with making an album such that a band still must sell a LOT of albums before seeing any of the revenues from that album whatsoever.  How that translates to a band like DT who sell the types of numbers DT has sold on recent albums means that either, (1) the band eventually sees very small revenue numbers from album sales, or (2) the band takes a loss on album sales (which means they end up owing money to the label and to others associated with the process), but uses album sales as a loss leader to be made up on tour. 

Touring has its own set of issues.  Not sure whether you have seen what has been posted in the past, but again, there is a lot out there on this forum and in the Web in general about how, similarly, there are a TON of hidden expenses and folks who need to be paid associated with touring such that a band generally gets paid only a small fraction of what the general public assumes they would get paid for a tour.  DT make money, sure, but they aren't rolling in the bucks from going on tour.  If the album sales are a financial loss, the money they owe will generally come right off the top of the tour revenue and be an added expense before the band sees any touring money as well. 

And that brings us to the tour for The Astonishing.  This is a risky tour.  For starters, there is the obvious fact that this album is different from the norm.  That in and of itself could keep people away.  Second, the fact that they are not playing any additional songs and are ONLY presenting The Astonishing could keep people away.  For a band like DT that already operates on relatively thin margins financially, it is entirely possible that this album and tour cycle could generate substantially less revenue than past albums.  It isn't inconceivable that it could even generate a loss.  At this point, we just don't know.

Ouch. Forgot about all this.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
Another risk with this tour is the price of the tickets...

At least here in Sweden they are more than double the amount of previous tours. If the tickets sell it should help recoup the money spent on the show "full visuals" and all. But if they don't sell...

I balked a bit when I saw the price of the tickets then I bought three (one for me both nights in Stockholm and one for my son the second night).
Sure that a lot of people wonder if it really is worth all the money to see a band you usually pay much less to see. So a huge risk there....

Hope it pays of for them in the end.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
How do you know that?

Because it dropped position much further than other albums in the past. 

There is a a huge difference between dropping 30 to 40 spots vs dropping 115 spots on the 2nd week.

If they put out an album that generates lots of praise next time up their album will not drop as fast.

Other rock/metal bands that put out albums that were not as well received as their typical albums also saw huge 2nd week drops in recent history.  Albums that are more well received by their fan base have longer staying power (even though sales are down for almost everyone through the years)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »
The next album will probably more like A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
The next album will probably more like A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

I am hoping for an Awake.  10 to 12 songs that stand on there own without having to fit withing a concept. 

ADTOE was a really good album though even though it felt a little safe and didn't take as many twists and turns as I would have liked.

I am glad that they seem to have shaken the SC and Black Clouds syndrome though in where they turn songs that could have worked great as 6 or 7 minute songs into 14 minute songs.  I love their epics as much as the next guy but not every song has to be an epic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »
How do you know that?

There is a a huge difference between dropping 30 to 40 spots vs dropping 115 spots on the 2nd week.

If they put out an album that generates lots of praise next time up their album will not drop as fast.

Other rock/metal bands that put out albums that were not as well received as their typical albums also saw huge 2nd week drops in recent history.  Albums that are more well received by their fan base have longer staying power (even though sales are down for almost everyone through the years)

That still does not prove that this album was not well received.  There are a number of possible variables that could potentially explain the drop-off that are just as likely an explanation. 

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »
How do you know that?

That still does not prove that this album was not well received.  There are a number of possible variables that could potentially explain the drop-off that are just as likely an explanation.

It seems to be less well received than their other albums.  I am seeing a lot more negativity out there on this one.  Amazon reviews are a good example. 

There could be other variables of course but that is a huge abnormal dropoff

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
It's not a favorable trend but for the most part it's industry wide. Frankly I don't know how RR recoups the $$ for the studio. It's
hard to imagine album sales worldwide would cover $400K - $500K studio time. It's also hard to envision a path for the studio's
continued profitability in this continual market decline. DT must still make them a decent profit though because I remember them being
pretty pumped when DT signed the latest contract.

I really don't know if MP being gone is a factor but my gut instinct says it is, albeit even if it only represents a 5% - 10% decline in
sales. Those numbers show a 25% overall decline since BC&SL. That is pretty significant. For us no big deal...but for executives

I wonder what kind of money the band makes on digital album sales, also having the album on sites like spotify and whatnot, or just the money made off a single song download on itunes. 

These days it's more than just the number of albums sold, there is a digital market place that allows you to only buy the song/s you care about.  I'm quite curious as to how that type of transaction makes money for the record label and/or the band.

I have got to imagine that RR, no matter how much upfront costs were, are making a profit by having DT be on their label.  Otherwise they would not be there, or more to the point, would not have been able to sign an extension to stay there.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »
How do you know that?

Which could include:

1. Double album with a heftier tag price
2. The full album is now released for free on streaming in Youtube
3. The album could be streamed in sites like Spotify

I maintain that this being a double album changes the dynamics of how its sales should be analyzed because it demands more commitment. So this is not really targeted to the casual fan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2016, 06:07:46 AM »
I hardly think this album / tour will be the end of the band.

They can tour a regular setlist later in the year and put out a more traditional DT album in late 2017.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2016, 06:20:21 AM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
They have almost 4 million likes on facebook. Why can't they get more albums sales? Most of those likes can't be just casual fans can they?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
They have almost 4 million likes on facebook. Why can't they get more albums sales? Most of those likes can't be just casual fans can they?

Liking does not involve money. And a lot of listeners do it through streaming, Youtube, or illegal downloads.