Author Topic: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)  (Read 28067 times)

SebastianPratesi

Re: The Astonishing Billboard Chart Prediction (merged)
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
It was $18 at FYE here in the States. Is $18 really that much dough? With the lower gas prices you save that much every week on gas.

I'm not sure if you meant to ask me that, or if it was rhetorical, but $18 is about 250 pesos, with which you eat at McDonalds twice, basically.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
damn, mcdonalds is expensive where you live

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

Crap - talking about McDonald's has made me hungry. It's midnight here and I still haven't had dinner. Off I go, I guess.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2016, 10:36:25 PM »
It was $18 at FYE here in the States. Is $18 really that much dough? With the lower gas prices you save that much every week on gas.

I'm not sure if you meant to ask me that, or if it was rhetorical, but $18 is about 250 pesos, with which you eat at McDonalds twice, basically.

Well, my HDTracks purchase cost me an equivalent of ten Big Mac meals here in the Philippines. So that shows my commitment to an artist to buy original stuff rather than gogin the illegal download route.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2016, 10:39:59 PM »

Crap - talking about McDonald's has made me hungry. It's midnight here and I still haven't had dinner. Off I go, I guess.
thinking of mcdonalds actually makes me lose my appetite a little these days, haven't been there in years and if i never go again i'll be the better for it

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Now I want a double cheese burger, haven't been to McDonalds in at least a year..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »
The Astonishing Billboard prediction thread, brought to you by McDonalds.

How many Big Macs does The Astonishing cost in your country? Does it mean that The Astonishing is expensive, or just that the Big Mac is great value? Find out soon, on DTF!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2016, 10:59:24 PM »
Ha ha ha......

Someone with lot's of time on their hands should create the Astonishing index. It should take over from:

https://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

For those who care.... in Sweden you get about 4 Big macs or one Astonishing deal...

Offline TL

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
11 in the US is a bit disappointing, but charts are very relative given that they're entirely dependent on other releases. There are a lot of very high profile releases on the charts right now, including several that are new this week.

That said, if first week sales in the US really are sub-30k, yeah, that's not great.

Edit: Huh, apparently the Billboard 200 isn't just album sales anymore. Now they throw a bunch of individual track sales and streaming metrics into the mix.
The actual sales chart in the US now is the 'Top Album Sales' chart; https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales
On that chart, The Astonishing is #6.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
But those numbers seem to be what was expected.  I don't see any reason to be disappointed.  People just don't have the time to buy hard copies of music anymore.

Offline TL

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
But those numbers seem to be what was expected.  I don't see any reason to be disappointed.  People just don't have the time to buy hard copies of music anymore.
Even when it was just album sales, the Billboard 200 has included digital album sales for years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Even when it was just album sales, the Billboard 200 has included digital album sales for years.

Really? I did not know that.  I thought the ~28,000 number was albums sold.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
The Astonishing Billboard prediction thread, brought to you by McDonalds.

How many Big Macs does The Astonishing cost in your country? Does it mean that The Astonishing is expensive, or just that the Big Mac is great value? Find out soon, on DTF!
:lol.
Now someone needs to make an alternate version of The Astonishing album cover with Big Macs hovering above instead of Nomacs..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TL

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »

Really? I did not know that.  I thought the ~28,000 number was albums sold.
It is. It includes both physical albums, and digital albums as long as it was bought as an album.

That said, something I literally just learned in the past few minutes; the Billboard 200 apparently takes album sales, track sales, and streaming into account now. So ~28,000 is just albums sold, which makes it the 6th best selling album that week. When those other things are taken into account, it gets bumped down to #11.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
People just don't have the time to buy hard copies of music anymore.
This is never going to get old is it? :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »

Aounds like a lyric from The Astonishing! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

Even in the Astonishing they didn't have time for hard copies, it was a digital player  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »

People just don't have the time for spell-check anymore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »

People just don't have the time for spell-check anymore.

Anymore??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »
Well, okay, fair point.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
Anymore??

What are you, a Cambridge professor? Anymore is perfectly acceptable in American English.  :P
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »
Anymore??

What are you, a Cambridge professor? Anymore is perfectly acceptable in American English.  :P

Well, Cambridge Massachusetts is about 25 miles away. I'm American, and I speak English. 3 for 3. Yay!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »

Dammit king
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
Anymore is fine by me.

Alot = no.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
No, I don't think he was saying "anymore" was spelled incorrectly (if he was, the joke is on him).  I think he was joking that "anymore" is the wrong word in context, because King's spelling is always bad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
No, I don't think he was saying "anymore" was spelled incorrectly (if he was, the joke is on him).  I think he was joking that "anymore" is the wrong word in context, because King's spelling is always bad.

Correct!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
Oh, for Pete sake...I was trying to make a double joke... never mind.

If I have to explain it...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »
11 in the US is a bit disappointing, but charts are very relative given that they're entirely dependent on other releases. There are a lot of very high profile releases on the charts right now, including several that are new this week.

That said, if first week sales in the US really are sub-30k, yeah, that's not great.

Edit: Huh, apparently the Billboard 200 isn't just album sales anymore. Now they throw a bunch of individual track sales and streaming metrics into the mix.
The actual sales chart in the US now is the 'Top Album Sales' chart; https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales
Woah, that's very interesting. Is the Top Album Sales chart essentially what the billboard used to be the last time DT released an album?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
So based on actual album sales i was right after all :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
Oh, for Pete sake...I was trying to make a double joke... never mind.

We know. You've been TRIPLE JOKED!

;D

Offline thosava

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »
Number 2 in Norway, their highest ever! Above JB, Bowie and Adele  :tup

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
#11 in Poland :

https://olis.onyx.pl/listy/index.asp?lang=

Recent positions:

ToT - 44
Octavarium - 8
SC - 10
BC&SL - 4
ADTOE - 7
DT - 4

#37 in Denmark :

https://www.danishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Dream+Theater&titel=The+Astonishing&cat=a

Offline TL

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »

Woah, that's very interesting. Is the Top Album Sales chart essentially what the billboard used to be the last time DT released an album?
It seems that way.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2016, 09:47:06 AM »
can someone explain where the sales numbers came from? I don't see anything on Billboard's site that shows numbers, only positions.

what i find interesting about how the Billboard 200 chart has changed is that it really shows that DT is a band that can sell albums, not one that is relying on streaming and digital sales.  Compare TA to the new Megadeth album: Dystopia landed at 3 on the Billboard 200, but 2 on the Total Albums chart.  Not  a wide margin, it shows that they sold a good amount of albums, but also did well with streaming and digital sales relative to other releases.

TA on the other hand, when looking at the difference from 200 to Total Albums, makes a pretty sizable jump from 11 to 6, showing that Dream Theater were able to sell a lot of albums, but once they have to compete with artists with massive streaming and downloads, they weren't as strong.  This makes DT's strategy of releasing the album on youtube interesting, as I wonder if their streams or downloads might have been higher without that as an option.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that "album sales" on the billboard 200 are now aggregated from all sources, even if the stream or download is of a single track.  So Justin Bieber can put out a shitty album with one great track that blows up and gets tons of downloads, yet that boosts his album sales numbers; doesn't that feel unfair when comparing to a 34-track rock opera that isn't relying on singles?  Or am i just a whiny fanboy  ;D