Author Topic: COLONY  (Read 3446 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
COLONY
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »
Anyone watch the pilot? I thought it was pretty good. Very neat premise and I like what they are doing with him having to find and infiltrate the 'resistance' all the while him not knowing his wife is in it. cool idea. It shouldn't take long for him to figure it out though given the history they painted him as having. I'll keep this show on the DVR until it utterly disappoints.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:31:34 AM by ariich »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The COLONY
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
Pilot is on the DVR, though I'm not sure when I'll get time to watch it with 4 football games this weekend.  Trailer looked interesting enough.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: COLONY
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
Anyone else in on this one? I've seen every episode and although it's not edge of your seat stuff....I keep coming back every week because the story is still good. I've been pleasantly surprised...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
I'm two episodes behind.  But been very much enjoying the cat-and-mouse between husband and wife.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
Like the show, but a lil dissapointed with the season finale.  Seemed more like the first part of a 2 part finale.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:06:42 AM »
Like the show, but a lil dissapointed with the season finale.  Seemed more like the first part of a 2 part finale.

Agreed... they tried to make it a cliff-hanger, but it fell a little flat.  Plus, they tried to 'cliff-hang' every storyline.  Hope it gets picked up for a second "season".

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »

Agreed... they tried to make it a cliff-hanger, but it fell a little flat.  Plus, they tried to 'cliff-hang' every storyline.  Hope it gets picked up for a second "season".

They advertised that it's returning in 2017.

I liked the show...but agree the season finale felt like just another episode. They tried to pack way to much stuff in that hour and like Chad says....they cliff hung everything  :lol   Which like Crimson says made it feel like a 2 part finale. Very odd.

But all in all I liked it and didn't lose interest at any point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
Somehow missed this back when it was new.  Just started watching on Netflix.  I am well into season 1 (episode 9).  I don't know how many episodes there are, and haven't looked at the episode lists because sometimes the names or thumbnails can have spoilers, so I'm just going along for the ride.

*****spoilers*****

1.  I really like how, at least so far, even though it's obviously an alien invasion series (they haven't shown anything, but there have been STRONG hints), I like how it is really about dystopian government, a resistance, and various levels of espionage and counter-espionage, even within families. 

2.  Related to that, I like that we are still 9 episodes in, and haven't really seen any direct traces of the aliens yet.  Only some signs of advanced tech, like the wall, the "rolodex," and the NOMACS.

3.  Not familiar with Tory Kittles outside of this series, but MAN his voice inflection and a lot of his mannerisms seem to channel Denzel at times.  Not sure if that is naturally him or something he went for with this character.

4.  I'm not sure how I feel about Broussard trusting Katie again after the fiasco with Snyder.  She did what she had to do for her family and what she perceived to be the greater good.  But in so doing, she cost the lives of several resistance fighters.  I don't necessarily hold that against her, but when she later spoke to Broussard about it a couple of times, I had problems with how it went.  First, she didn't seem to have a very great appreciation of what her own actions did and how devastating they were to the resistance efforts.  Second, in light of that, I feel like Broussard opened back up to her too easily. 

5.  Not sure how I feel about Snyder.  On one hand, I get that he's doing what he feels he HAS TO do for his own survival and, ultimately, for the greater good.  And I believe him that any replacement for him if he were to die or be removed would be far worse.  And I can't even put myself in a position where I am pontificating about the "right" thing to do in a similar situation, knowing full well that I can't even imagine how hard it would be to "do the right thing" if I ever truly were in that situation.  On the other hand, he is fully screwing over the people in his colony.  I can't excuse that.  But at the end of the day, I do understand it.  And because of that, I actually find him to be a pretty intriguing character.

6.  My guess since early on is that the "factory" is producing food.  I could be wrong, but that's still my guess.  Interesting to ponder.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 02:34:59 PM »
I never did watch S3, since I knew it was dropped, and didn't really want to invest the time just to be left unfulfilled with an incomplete story.  S2 was pretty good, iirc.

If you want to check some cool Sci-Fi out, I suggest Travellers.  They did a fantastic job at wrapping the story up, but still leaving potential to continue it.  It was (like Colony) initially on network TV, then picked up by Netflix for the final season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 02:36:06 PM »
Holy bump Bosk!  :lol

I'd have to really start thinking on this one again as it's been a bit since I've last watched it. But for me....it is an enjoyable show that continually moved forward with the story and the scenarios.....never felt dull or stagnate at all.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 02:39:52 PM »
I never did watch S3, since I knew it was dropped, and didn't really want to invest the time just to be left unfulfilled with an incomplete story.  S2 was pretty good, iirc.

If you want to check some cool Sci-Fi out, I suggest Travellers.  They did a fantastic job at wrapping the story up, but still leaving potential to continue it.  It was (like Colony) initially on network TV, then picked up by Netflix for the final season.

I second the suggestion for Travellers. That was a good series as well. Anytime you incorporate a time travel element to a story it can go one of two ways.....horribly wrong or really well done. Travellers was really well done. As was Continuum (although the final season on that one was packed into limited episodes)

S3 of Colony was good as well and  you could tell it was set up for S4 and beyond but unfortunately got the ax.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 06:29:06 PM »
Travellers and Continuum are both quality shows. Another stellar time travel show was 12 Monkeys.

I’ve had Colony on my Netflix list for a few years now, but the list keeps growing and the older stuff on my list gets lost in the shuffle. Sounds like it’s right up my alley though.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 12:05:04 AM »
Travellers and Continuum are both quality shows. Another stellar time travel show was 12 Monkeys.

I’ve had Colony on my Netflix list for a few years now, but the list keeps growing and the older stuff on my list gets lost in the shuffle. Sounds like it’s right up my alley though.

Yep 12 Monkeys was fantastic! So well done and a beautiful ending.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 01:29:18 PM »
OK, finished it.  Overall, this was a really good sci-fi series that dealt with issues far beyond just sci-fi.  It is criminal that S4 was canceled. 

S3 felt pretty clunky at times, but still drove the story forward meaningfully and set up the planned future seasons nicely.  Wish I could have seen how it all was supposed to end.

Also, have to say that I love how they developed Snyder throughout the show.  I simultaneously loved and hated him.  I simultaneously was repulsed by his choices while also having to admit that I fully "get" them.  Really well-written character.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
this is the Josh Holloway show? I remember seeing trailers for it, but figured it didn't last.

Once I'm done with 12 Monkeys, I may have to check this out. Maybe Traveler as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 06:42:21 AM »
this is the Josh Holloway show? I remember seeing trailers for it, but figured it didn't last.

Once I'm done with 12 Monkeys, I may have to check this out. Maybe Traveler as well.

They're both really good.  As I said, I simply didn't follow thru with S3 on Colony 'cuz I knew it had been cancelled by the time I had the time to watch S3.  The ending of Travelers was the perfect mix of wrapping everything up, but leaving things at a sense of anticipation if it did happen to get renewed.  Personally, Travelers > Colony (but not by a lot).