Author Topic: 2016-05-06 & 05/07 - The Wiltern, Los Angeles CA  (Read 7588 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: 2016-05-06 & 05/07 - The Wiltern, Los Angeles CA
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
Did anyone here go to the show last night? lol.

I'm leaving here soon to head down to LA. It's a bit of a hike from where my brother lives, so we'll probably be a few hours early before doors. Does anyone know of anything fun to do/eat/drink around the venue that's fairly close?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm on my way down to LA right now, got platinum tickets so I won't be able to join a pre-show meetup. But I will be at the bar for sure. Look for a short guy with a glass of whiskey. If anyone else has platinum tickets and wants to meet up in line, PM me your number and let's figure something out.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
I will be at the meet and greet too. Short asian guy wih glasses.

Im so excited for the show.

Offline BikerPuppy

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Last night's show was amazing!  I can't wait to go again tonight!  My only complaint is that so many people in the audience (and the Wiltern employees) kept telling people to sit down.  If you want to sit, watch the DVD!  :P

I have some extra tickets for tonight's show if anyone still needs some.  I'm just asking for face value - no markup.  PM me or email me at erinzstuff@hotmail.com.

Erin

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
I'm waiting for my buddy to get off of work so we can head down.  If he weren't working, we'd totally be down there now. We are grabbing Hooters on our way down first. I have a free burger that expires today :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TodJam

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
The last night was great! The door opened at 7 and the show started at 8.
I was at mezzanine (about half of seats were empty) , sound was a bit loud as usual, thought vocal was louder. James did perform very well. James and JP's solo part on Chosen was just beautiful,  Mangini's play on the astonishing was amazing, I thought the song sounded much vivid on live.
Cell phones were strictly banned during the show but most of audience had no issue with it.
I highly recommend to see them live. They will go to Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico after US tour, I hope they film shows for DVD/BD.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »
The last night was great! The door opened at 7 and the show started at 8.
I was at mezzanine (about half of seats were empty) , sound was a bit loud as usual, thought vocal was louder. James did perform very well. James and JP's solo part on Chosen was just beautiful,  Mangini's play on the astonishing was amazing, I thought the song sounded much vivid on live.
Cell phones were strictly banned during the show but most of audience had no issue with it.
I highly recommend to see them live. They will go to Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico after US tour, I hope they film shows for DVD/BD.

How was the view from the Mezzanine?

Also.. what time did you get out of the venue last night?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TodJam

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »

How was the view from the Mezzanine?

Also.. what time did you get out of the venue last night?

The view was actually good, I could see the stage very well. I never liked seats on the 1st floor at the Wiltern and I knew I'd be seated during the show so picked the Mezzanine. I think I left there around 10:40.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »
If someone from the forums sees me in the meet and greet line right now. I will just give one of my tickets away for free. Im the asian guy with glassess with a dream theater shirt and a sick puppies hoodie

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
Earl, where are you? I need your ticket if you still have it.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »
Im downstairs in a vip area. Are you still in the lobby?

Offline earlilano

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Im at the lobby now

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
The universe works in awesome ways--I didn't realize Plat VIP didn't come with a ticket to the show, so earliano gave me his extra. Thank you for the early birthday present!!!

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
Upstairs lobby? I'm pretty sure I saw you walking around earlier, earl.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »
To the dude in the Jonathan Toews Blackhawks jersey in the front row of the show tonight, you are my hero.

Show was sold out tonight. Very awesome. I'm really happy I decided to see them a second time on this tour.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 01:13:11 AM »
Great meeting some of the DTFers today!  You guys rock! Audience had more energy than last night, but the show still had a nice chill vibe that was cool.  THANK GOD the volume was not as loud as typical metal concerts.
---------
Here are some highlights from the questions I asked during the M&G:

JP confirmed Astonishing tab book is 16 selections. (too bad), but JP thinks those selections will be meaty enough to satisfy guitar players.

I prefaced the next question to JP with "This is probably the first time anyone has ever asked you this question and it might not have an answer:  Who actually WON the battle of Jimmy Cocoa and Fishface? (DT vets might recognize this)

JP understood the reference and gave a solid laugh and replied "Mike Ditka." 

According to Jordan, the songs on the album were written in chronological order (with the exceptions of the overtures which were compiled afterward), which means that Gift of Music was the first finished song.  Neither JP or JR came to the writing table with any completed demos prepared before the session.

James said that there is a meeting in Oakland to talk about the next phase of events, including potentially scheduling time to record his next solo album.  No plans of a solo tour, although he is asked about it often, but would only do it with Matt, Peter, Marco, etc. and when schedules permit.

I asked JM about the tiny screen/iPad that has been added to his bass floor pedal.  I asked it if was sheet music like JR's pad, and he explained that it was more like a sketchpad of comments and cues to help guide him with the set's choreography (when step off stage or move back to the drum riser, etc) It did seem like he was reading it for music notation during a song (Tempting Offer?)
-------
Lastly, after the end credits there is a short tag with an emerging NOMAC.  I think this suggests the possibility of a SEQUEL.  Not that I would welcome this, but it should be pointed out that technically speaking, the full story as presented in its official theatrical setting, ends with open ended, unsettling finish.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:35:10 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 10:08:33 AM »
I missed the old days when I could afford a ticket.   :'(
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
I was wondering what that little monitor was by JM's rig!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline earlilano

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I'm a newbie to this forum so don't expect an in-depth analysis of the concert from me. My background with DT started in college but I stopped listening to them from 2006 to 21014 and I don't know what the reason was. I went to one of their 2014 concerts then stopped listening to them again. I just don't have friends that listen to prog metal or metal in general so that might have been one of the factors.

When I heard the announcement for the new album and concert, I bought a ticket. I made a conscious decision to not listen to the album and just hear it in its entirety during the live concert. I wanted to feel the feelings I felt when I listened to DT for the first time. It wasn't that hard since like I said I stopped listening to DT.

Now to the concert day. The meet and greet was awesome. It was nice meeting people who had a true passion for DT and their music. I honestly felt out of place. I'm not a social person either, I'm a loner in most things I do. But it was just so nice meeting everyone in the line. I had an extra ticket for the meet and greet that I sold to a person who has seen DT at 10 venues during this tour. I met a person who took an 18 hour train ride to watch DT. And I met some great people from the forums, hello to Debra, Raisetheknife, Chris, and Zeltar. It was nice meeting all of you. The thing that stuck me while talking with the band is when I told Mike about not listening to the album he had an interesting thing to say. He told me that the album was made to be seen live. I brought that mindset to the concert and made me appreciate this concert even more.

The concert itself was great. Seeing the story unfold with the music playing was so surreal. The emotions I felt during the concert was indescribable. The sound and singing was great. I was never a big fan of Labrie but last night I became a fan. The entire band is just amazing. The energy of the crowd was great. I was standing for at least half of the concert. In all honesty I wanted to stand throughout the entire thing but at certain parts everyone just sat down and I did not want to be the only person standing. The concert pumped me up so much I ended up listening to the album before sleeping. I love the album.

Some other small things from last night's concert as a whole. Happy Birthday to Debra, I'm glad you enjoyed the seat. It was really a great seat wasn't it. I also met young DT fan at the venue while in the never ending line for the men's bathroom who was seeing the DT for the first time. I had an extra VIP package so I gave him the poster that was already signed by DT and he was so happy after getting it. That made the night much more awesome for me too. It was also funny watching Mike ask his manager for a credit card for some popcorn, it was like a kid asking if he could get some popcorn, and he was so happy after getting the credit card and going to the concession for popcorn. Also even though I did not hear a word from Myung, I got a fist bump from him so that was great.

So in ending last night was great. If I were single, I would have just spontaneously went to Oakland today to go see them tonight. That was how much I enjoyed the concert and would love to see them again. Pardon the long post but just wanted to share my experience.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
Awesome last night. Our boys were exactly as expected and James was dead on fantastic. Mangini, man, great player and presence. Unless they were faking (certain they weren't) they're loving playing together. Nothing but smiles and good vibe between MM and JP.

And that solo . . .

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Great post earlilano!  Sounds like a great experience. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »
Some other small things from last night's concert as a whole. Happy Birthday to Debra, I'm glad you enjoyed the seat. It was really a great seat wasn't it.

I couldn't have asked for a better seat. Thank you SO much! It was awesome meeting you, Jay, AND RaiseTheKnife!

The thing that stuck me while talking with the band is when I told Mike about not listening to the album he had an interesting thing to say. He told me that the album was made to be seen live.

That explains why the music resonated so much more live than on CD.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Id kill for more detailed visuals (Like live action. FUCK just produce a movie already!

My buddy pointed out the fact that Faythe always has a hood on. Even when she's in bed.

WHY? IS IT THAT COLD IN THE GREAT NORTHERN EMPIRE?

(sorry... I may have been drinking)

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:33 AM »
I was wondering about that too, actually.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Now... the abridged version of Deb's experience...

FUCKING. AMAZING.

I was so emotionally overwhelmed that I was crying and laughing at the same time during "Astonishing". I am not going four years between shows ever again. I need live Dream Theater.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »
Id kill for more detailed visuals (Like live action. FUCK just produce a movie already!

My buddy pointed out the fact that Faythe always has a hood on. Even when she's in bed.

I just read the program. I don't know what headphone Faythe is using. Maybe the hoodie was her way of hiding it. She had it on when Gabriel did the scream so I'm assuming she wears it a lot.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:53 AM »
I did a quick check of the program. It says in Act 2, "Fayth had been listening to music on her father's ancient music player's earphones hidden as ever under her hood, and was therefore caught completely unaware by her brother's sword."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
James said that there is a meeting in Oakland to talk about the next phase of events, including potentially scheduling time to record his next solo album. 

I can confirm that said meeting took place.  No, I wasn't in it.  :lol  But I know it took place.

I just read the program. I don't know what headphone Faythe is using. Maybe the hoodie was her way of hiding it. She had it on when Gabriel did the scream so I'm assuming she wears it a lot.

Yeah, she does.  It gets kinda annoying sometimes, honestly, especially when trying to have a conversation with her.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2016, 11:56:21 PM »
She using them Dre Beats earbuds. :lol