Author Topic: Slipknot thread?  (Read 17068 times)

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

Re: Slipknot thread?
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Slipknot is great. I don't know why they get shit on by so many metalheads. The debut is a bonafide classic, and they've managed to put out quality music over the last 15 years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
They could be a 5 piece and their albums would sound pretty much the same.

Live - the percussionists barely do anything at all.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
Ok, but why is that relevant? The music would still sound the same if it were 3 members who played multiple instruments instead of 9 members who each do something different. The final product is what matters

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
It's relevant because that's one thing they often get shit for apart from the actual music. If you've seen them live or seen live recordings you know Chris and Shawn basically just goof around on stage with little use to the actual show.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
I've never seen them live but I've seen videos and I agree that's what they primarily do. Still don't get why it's a bad thing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2016, 04:05:57 AM »
I think that percussion and effects play an enormous role in Slipknot, but only when you listen to the studio albums. Most of the great percussion or DJ bits cannot be heard during the live performances, which is truly a shame. I remember seeing them playing Sarcastrophy live, during which Sid Wilson is supposed to do some really cool stuff, but he just kept running and jumping around the stage instead of "playing", I guess.

The samples are still there, though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2016, 04:10:44 AM »
I've never seen them live but I've seen videos and I agree that's what they primarily do. Still don't get why it's a bad thing.
Agreed, it's all part of the act and is a big part of the draw for lots of fans. Personally I don't care, but I wouldn't criticise them for it.

In terms of their music, I have very little interest in their first two albums. There are some fleeting good moments but most of it is a horribly-produced mush for which I was certainly not the target audience. Vol 3 onwards has been much, much better IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »
Does Ross Robinson still "produce". Every thing i've seen about him is just ludicrous. He thinks true passion can only come from suffering / negative emotions.

He pisses off every band he works with deliberately and then records them playing in a shitty mood. He'll use shitty takes if he thinks it has the right amount of pissed off playing.

Idiot.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 04:56:01 AM »
Well, I don't think it's fair to call him an idiot. It's an artistic choice, and he clearly gets the sound he wants. If that's the only style he goes for, then he's clearly very limited as an artist, but that doesn't make it bad. Just not for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 05:05:01 AM »
Corey said he once made him do vocals all day on Iowa until his voice was completely gone and of course he used those takes...

His albums don't even sound good. The last self titled Korn album he did was so weak sounding.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »
They could be a 5 piece and their albums would sound pretty much the same.

Live - the percussionists barely do anything at all.

This is true, but for all we know those "extra" members are important for the group dynamics and songwriting. I know the clown does most (if not all) media production, which includes directing the videoclips. And that has been extremely importants to their success. And Sid does many samples and DJ stuff on the albums. Live they are there to rile up to crowd and entertain, with some backup "vocals" and percussion here and there. I'd say they are a crucial element to Slipknots success, even though they appear to be less involved in the live shows as actual musicians. Somewhat like some bands have mascots, Slipknot presents additional people on stage for the sake of entertainment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
Bump?

Slipknot's latest album We Are Not Your Kind is #1 album right now  :metal

Not a huge fan of Corey Tayler the person, but love his vocals and this album is actually pretty solid.  Seeing them tonight in PA and then next Friday in NJ.  Their Knotfest Roadshow has solid support from Volbeat (who doesn't seem to fit here, but they have solid music), Gojira (I want to see them sooo badly), and Behemoth (not my thing).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »
I love Iowa and Vol. 3

But am not all that into the new album so far. The first single is hot though.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
Their new album is their best imo. Like it a lot, not a big fan of their other albums.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
My friend said they weren't into it either, I didn't love it on my first listen but it's settling in real nice now.  The back half isn't as strong besides the closer, Solway Firth, maybe my favorite of the album.  The three singles may be the best songs though, Nero Forte is awesome as well.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
Their new album is their best imo. Like it a lot, not a big fan of their other albums.

Haven't been interested in their last couple but might have to check it out then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
His albums don't even sound good. The last self titled Korn album he did was so weak sounding.

I know this comment is 3 years old but I can't help but take offense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »
So old kotow cant even defend himself here.

But I don't have all of their albums, I can say We Are Not Your Kind sounds REALLY good.  Much better than their older stuff in terms of production and sound IMO. I never enjoyed the trash can banging until this album really.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
As someone who had a Slipknot phase when I was young and have appreciated some of their work ever since, this album is excellent. Have been listening to it all week. Not a single song I don't like actually (I don't consider the three atmospheric tracks songs). Still a weird choice to omit All Out of Life from the album, but I really like that one as well. Wanted to post, but couldn't find this thread. This album has a lot of buzz and rightfully so.

My favourites are Spiders (an out of the left field song in the best kind of way), Orphan (has all the elements of Slipknot throughout the years in one great package), and Red Flag (a more typical classic one).

Watched the Download 19 stream and really enjoyed it, as someone who thought most Slipknot live concerts aren't that great (Corey usually struggles, love him as a studio singer though, especially for Stone Sour). They uploaded four songs from Download 19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pOu-3ZKjk&t=1332s. Actually hope they will release it at one point, because the show destroys that Days of the Gusano show from a couple of years back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
I think Red Flad and Orphan are the best from the back half but Spider is really odd for me, heading out to see them now.  Looking forward to capturing some good video, hopefully Corey's mask too lol  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
I think Red Flad and Orphan are the best from the back half but Spider is really odd for me, heading out to see them now.  Looking forward to capturing some good video, hopefully Corey's mask too lol  :metal

Considering going to them in Amsterdam early next year. I listened to Corey Taylor a whole lot for like 15 years and even if he has a bad day vocally, he is just a fantastic entertainer and always gets the crowd going  (both Slipknot and Stone Sour, but also his guest appearances in a lot of different things, and his acoustic show that was recorded a couple of years back).

Anyways, I am sure it will be a great show!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
I'd love to see them in Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome?  That would be sick.

Awesome show last night.  Really great night. My favorite song from the new album

Slipknot - Solway Firth Live @ Montage Mountain PA

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
I'd love to see them in Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome?  That would be sick.

Awesome show last night.  Really great night. My favorite song from the new album

Slipknot - Solway Firth Live @ Montage Mountain PA

They sound great! And yes, Ziggodome, one of our best larger venues (as it's specifically made for concerts, unlike general event halls, footballstadia or sports halls).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2019, 05:35:20 PM »
My amsterdam coworker is leaving soon, meaning I may have to go out there more for coverage.  I hope if I do, it aligns with a show like this.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »
I really do love the new stage presentation they have going and the white suits. Their masks are all really cool this go around, especially Sid's. For some reason, and I know it doesn't matter, I really miss Chris though. He had a great stage presence. Not that Tortilla Man doesn't, but Chris was one of my favorites.

Anyways, I hope on their next North American tour, they come to Minnesota. For some reason, their US tours are usually pretty short or focus on the coasts and never make it up here. They haven't been here since 2009 I think. I've never been to one of their shows and they seem like they would have one of the loudest concerts ever and the energy is insane. Cool to see more videos!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2019, 07:05:00 AM »
Cool to see more videos!

I'm going back to the show this Friday (day 1 of my 1 month off  :metal) and that show is local so I expect to get more and better video.  This venue last weekend had no slopes to the seated section so there were lots of heads in the way.  I have a better view (although a little further away) for Friday and I'll get there on time for Behemoth.  Here's my full video from Saturday and I'll admit, it's not one of my better ones, I think the Gojira set came out the best Knotfest Roadshow Montage Mountain PA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
Slipknot - Unsainted Live NJ

Slipknot - All Out Life Live NJ

with those and this from last week Slipknot - Solway Firth Live PA

that's all three new songs they are performing live and I must say, I really really like all of these.   :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
I was so happy to finally hear Prosthetics live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
Slipknot - Unsainted Live NJ

Slipknot - All Out Life Live NJ

with those and this from last week Slipknot - Solway Firth Live PA

that's all three new songs they are performing live and I must say, I really really like all of these.   :metal :metal

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they did the entire new album live. For me it is one of those rare cases a band makes their best album after a 20+ years career. And yes, those three sound great live from what I have heard.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
That stage setup is so cool. Thanks for posting those cram! Unsainted has really grown on me this week--the new album as a whole has really grown on me. It's great.

At that show, backstage, Jay and Max Weinberg and Jim recreated the photo from when Jay was a kid and Max took him to see Slipknot at the same arena. And now Jay is in the band. So cool
https://www.instagram.com/p/B11OUtvli3_/
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
That is cool, and I see he posted a picture with Jerry Only at the show too, so cool Jerry was on stage filming his daughter on stage with Volbeat and then him and his daughter sat in their seats right near me and I got to meet him.  What a wonderful evening and show.

I put it in other threads too, but I went to the Slipknot Whiskey signing before the show.  I saw it on facebook the morning of and it was at a place just down the street from my house so that worked out really well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2019, 06:14:01 AM »
Saw Slipknot live for the first time last night and it was amazing. Seeing Gojira live for the first time as well, what a tight band and great performance by them. I never saw or heard Volbeat before and man were they a lot of fun to watch. I had no idea what to expect from them and was very entertained by them.

Slipknot was fantastic and I couldn't believe how great Corey sounded live, I heard a couple of his live records and he really struggles on some of them but last night he was on point.
I was hoping for more tracks from the new album but no complaints on the setlist for someone seeing them in concert for the first time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »
Yea, Knotfest is a quality show with that line up.  Volbeat is a bit different compared to the rest but really fun

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2019, 05:19:00 AM »
Had a listen to the new album based on the thoughts here from you guys.  Holy shit, this fucker absolutely rips.  Don't remember much except how damn heavy and downright groovy this is.  The riffing is so good and Corey sounds brutal.  Can't wait to listen again.