Author Topic: Slipknot thread?  (Read 17062 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Slipknot thread?
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2020, 04:46:56 AM »
Bought a cheap(er) second hand ticket for Slipknot at Ziggodome next week. Was doubting to go because I am on my own, but my new appartment is about 10 minutes of cycling from Ziggodome, so that made the barrier quite low.

Looking forward to finally seeing this band live!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:12 AM »
 :metal :metal

That would be so awesome to see them there, enjoy the show.  I'm not crazy about Behemoth having seen them a few times (opening for slipknot and slayer) but they do put on an entertaining show if you catch them.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2020, 08:44:10 AM »
:metal :metal

That would be so awesome to see them there, enjoy the show.  I'm not crazy about Behemoth having seen them a few times (opening for slipknot and slayer) but they do put on an entertaining show if you catch them.

Yeah, I am not planning to go see Behemoth, don't really care about black metal and it's offsprings.

But judging on yt vids, the Slipknot show will be fire.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
Behemoth is fun even if you're not a fan.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
Couldn't make it to Behemoth from work, but was well in time for Slipknot.

Great show! The band is in fantastic shape and the crowd was really into it. Corey sounds amazing this tour so far, damn. He has not sounded like this in almost 20 years, some of his screams/growls really echo the old Slipknot material. I think it is a combination of no smoking and him not jumping around as much anymore (so not being out of breath all the time), as well as adequate rest before the tour.

Of the new tracks All Out of Life and Nero Forte were real bangers. And from the debut stuff Eeyore was great to see. And Before I Forget and Duality were great to see, I have listened to those sooo much in the past.

This was the biggest show they ever did in the Netherlands and it sold out or nearly sold out (so 17.000 people), amazing to see an artist this far in their careers do so well, especially this kind of music. Well earned, I'd say.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:13 AM »
Cory is great ...period
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »
Yes!  They are playing Madison Square Garden with A Day to Remember and Underoath  :metal :metal got my ticket just now

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Yes!  They are playing Madison Square Garden with A Day to Remember and Underoath  :metal :metal got my ticket just now

ADTR Kicks ass too
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »

ADTR Kicks ass too

Yea, they headlined Warped Tour last summer and blew me away.  I had never heard of them before and was wondering what to expect and really won me over.  I didn't go out and buy a CD or anything, but that performance was just really good and I'm happy to get to see them again.  I'll have to get a album now.

Like, how fucking awesome was this? A Day To Remember - Sticks and Bricks Live @ Warped Tour 2019 Atlantic City

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
There's a few live songs from a new BBC studio session, these are AMAZING in terms of quality and performance WOW

Unsainted

Duality

Article about them:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/slipknot-bbc-radio-1-rock-show-950142/?fbclid=IwAR0g_IM2C5xfebHmeZUOlkMua5sP_gZUi0r5-4-ct41Q69dKYBWSvqTYoCc

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »
I'm hoping videos of the oter four songs gets released at some point too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »
Their setlist for the European tour is pretty damn good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »
With no disrespect to Paul, Joey, and Chris, I really feel like Slipknot is at its best right now. Their live performances are amazing and their last album is their best, if not at least in the top 3. I just feel like they’re firing on all cylinders right now.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2020, 06:40:21 AM »
With no disrespect to Paul, Joey, and Chris, I really feel like Slipknot is at its best right now. Their live performances are amazing and their last album is their best, if not at least in the top 3. I just feel like they’re firing on all cylinders right now.
I respectfully disagree, at least partially :
-On the agree side, their shows are tight and satisfying, the latest songs are efficient.
-On the disagreeing side, the anger and bestiality heard in the first album will never be matched again, maybe not even from another band, to me.
And some people like me prefer joey's drumming, grooves...

I think they mostly sobered up and sharpened their tools, with the intend to have good shows, in the past they were drunk/high/incoherent... and it would impact tighthness, behaviour, whatever...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed last july's live show, and slipknot is one of my favorite bands, I even think about having a tribute band :D
But to me, they made a Metallica stretch (but with a better ending lol) : First album 0% marketing, iowa-vol3-ahig more and more marketing, trying things slower/poppy/or even guitar solos, grey-wenyk return to earlier slipknot.
The latest contains elements from iowa to grey, which is cool.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »
As someone who only enjoyed some of their music when they first started to being a total lover of the new album, I guess I have to learn towards this current group being the best Slipknot. But I agree, the aggression cant be matched from the beginning. Corey and clown are not the same people they were so its only natural but they are writing overall better music now IMO and the show has apparently approved (I never saw them live before 2016 to compare)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
Losing Paul was a real blow to the band, having to lose a founding member. Then, Joey (another founding member) leaving, later revealing his disease. It's great to see them flourishing and forging on putting on great shows again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Volante99

« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2020, 10:55:15 PM »

I’ll second this. I was never a big Slipknot fan (although I definitely thought they stood out amongst their peers back when they were first taking off) but even I admit their last album was fantastic. Top 10 of the year for metal.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »
A full proshot festival show was released on youtube yesterday, Resurrection fest 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZqbMfPezQ

Sound is a bit dry and the backing vocals are off (and Corey's mask looks bad), but from skimming it seems like a great show! (I prefer Rock Am Ring 2019, but the video of that got deleted).

There's a few live songs from a new BBC studio session, these are AMAZING in terms of quality and performance WOW

Unsainted

Duality

Article about them:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/slipknot-bbc-radio-1-rock-show-950142/?fbclid=IwAR0g_IM2C5xfebHmeZUOlkMua5sP_gZUi0r5-4-ct41Q69dKYBWSvqTYoCc

Visually this looks so great. I would honestly love bands doing a full fledged dvd like this.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:07 AM »
A full proshot festival show was released on youtube yesterday, Resurrection fest 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZqbMfPezQ

Sound is a bit dry and the backing vocals are off (and Corey's mask looks bad), but from skimming it seems like a great show! (I prefer Rock Am Ring 2019, but the video of that got deleted).

Unsainted

Duality

Article about them:

Visually this looks so great. I would honestly love bands doing a full fledged dvd like this.

I wouldn't consider myself a Slipknot fan, though there are quite a few songs I really like. But wow, this band knows how to deliver on stage! GREAT performances!
any rock can be made to roll

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »
Damn, that video of Resurrection Fest is  :metal :metal :metal Corey sounds a very gritty, but it's terrible.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2020, 05:09:26 AM »
They streamed Download 2019 in it's entirety yesterday, part of the proceedings they make/made goes to covid-19 relieve efforts (on their webshop and the knotfest site).

The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3j9niG1Og

I think this is Corey's best performance of all recent pro shot live footage.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal yesterday was a good day for music IMO, lots of bands pulling out all older concert videos that are really well done

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
They had a very good live stream a couple of days ago (which I assume will see some form of official release, but it is all over youtube now)

They also released a new single, Chapeltown Rag  :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2v4u7VhoPU

Part of the band is apparently working on a new album that has been around for a while? (since All Hope is Gone session, titled Look Outside Your Window), not sure if this is intended to be part of that or not.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:09:36 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
If there's a new studio album in 2022 it will be their fastest turnaround in a while.

I wouldn't be shocked if Chapeltown Rag isn't on there - like how "All Out Life" wasn't on the album We Are Not Your Kind.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
If there's a new studio album in 2022 it will be their fastest turnaround in a while.

I wouldn't be shocked if Chapeltown Rag isn't on there - like how "All Out Life" wasn't on the album We Are Not Your Kind.

Wouldn't surprise me as Slipknot has made songs that are not any album, yet they played them live. Purity is an example even though it was left off for some controversial reasons.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
Losing Paul was a real blow to the band, having to lose a founding member. Then, Joey (another founding member) leaving, later revealing his disease. It's great to see them flourishing and forging on putting on great shows again.

IMHO Paul and Joey were the heart of the band, like Petrucci and Jordan have become since SFAM.

The musical sensitivities and influences that Paul and Joey riffed off were different from the rest of the band, plus they were more experienced members than the rest of the band (despite Clown being older and interested in visual art and Corey having SS).

Loosing both Paul and Joey have reduced the band to being a band struggling with nostalgia and identity.
At it's height I see Slipknot as being a band that wanted to break out of it's shell as a theatrical avantgarde metal band influenced strongly by Mr Bungle and Fantomas but which never quite got there (despite tracks like Prosthetics, Tattered And Torn, Only One, Scissors, Gently, Skin Ticket, Iowa, Circle, The Nameless, The Virus Of Life, etc).
They've always been afraid of alienating fans, which is something I've seen in DT as well since after SDOIT.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »

IMHO Paul and Joey were the heart of the band, like Petrucci and Jordan have become since SFAM.

The musical sensitivities and influences that Paul and Joey riffed off were different from the rest of the band, plus they were more experienced members than the rest of the band (despite Clown being older and interested in visual art and Corey having SS).

Loosing both Paul and Joey have reduced the band to being a band struggling with nostalgia and identity.
At it's height I see Slipknot as being a band that wanted to break out of it's shell as a theatrical avantgarde metal band influenced strongly by Mr Bungle and Fantomas but which never quite got there (despite tracks like Prosthetics, Tattered And Torn, Only One, Scissors, Gently, Skin Ticket, Iowa, Circle, The Nameless, The Virus Of Life, etc).
They've always been afraid of alienating fans, which is something I've seen in DT as well since after SDOIT.

Maybe that's why I haven't been into there recent output as much. I really enjoyed All Hope is Gone. I still enjoy some songs from their recent 2 albums but not as much Vol.3 and AHIG.

They were also alienating fans since Vol.3. I remember those reactions to songs like Circle and Vermillion Pt.2. I attributed it to Corey showcasing his abilities more into Slipknot since he couldn't do that in Stone Sour as they weren't together to record as much as now.

I noticed though that after watching the behind the scenes and seeing how much Paul wrote and composed for the band, their tone is what I feel changed.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Huh, We Are Not Your Kind to me does not even remotely fit that description to my ears. And it is offcourse subjective, but I put that album above their others easily.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2022, 11:36:41 AM »
This seems to be the most active/recent thread. Anyone listen to the new single?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
Yup, it's solid.  Looking forward to the new album

Offline Deathless

« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2022, 11:52:48 AM »
I wasn't surprised by it but the clean singing section kind of disrupted the song for me. Otherwise it's not bad! I am looking forward to the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2022, 03:59:41 PM »
I thought it was fucking terrible.  So let down after the last album.  Hopefully there's better stuff to come.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2022, 04:32:50 PM »
I thought it was fucking terrible.  So let down after the last album.  Hopefully there's better stuff to come.

Yea I was let down.

The heavy stuff was cool but the melodic stuff felt a bit phoned in. Corey is one of the best melodic guys in metal but this was beneath him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2022, 04:34:28 PM »

Yea I was let down.

The heavy stuff was cool but the melodic stuff felt a bit phoned in. Corey is one of the best melodic guys in metal but this was beneath him.

The melodies were so......I dunno......awkward and child like.  Like a jingle or something.....I'll listen again but I hated it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »
I think the song is a great blend of their styles. There's parts that remind me of Iowa, Vol.3, All Hope Is Gone, and We Are Not Your Kind. I like it and it is going to be an energetic song live.