Author Topic: Slipknot thread?  (Read 17092 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Slipknot thread?
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2019, 07:41:18 AM »
Had a listen to the new album based on the thoughts here from you guys.  Holy shit, this fucker absolutely rips.  Don't remember much except how damn heavy and downright groovy this is.  The riffing is so good and Corey sounds brutal.  Can't wait to listen again.

I'm not the biggest Slipknot fan but I LOVE the new album. Album of the year contender for me. It's been a frustrating year for me and this album came at the perfect time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
Had a listen to the new album based on the thoughts here from you guys.  Holy shit, this fucker absolutely rips.  Don't remember much except how damn heavy and downright groovy this is.  The riffing is so good and Corey sounds brutal.  Can't wait to listen again.

I'm not the biggest Slipknot fan but I LOVE the new album. Album of the year contender for me. It's been a frustrating year for me and this album came at the perfect time.

It's creeping up my list.  I keep coming back to it.  Obviously the singles are awesome, but songs like Nero Forte, Critical Darling, Orphan, Red Flag, Birth of the Crual, Spiders (its finally grown on me) really make the album stellar.  I saw the idea tossed around by one of the members of doing a show playing the entire album, I think they know it's that strong from top to bottom.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »
I like the album a lot, but being such an enormous fan of most of the band's extremely consistent discography, I can't rank the album among their best. Still, it's one of this year's highlights. I constantly keep coming back to Nero forte, Solway firth, My pain, Spiders and Red flag.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »

Album of the year contender did come to mind listening to it just once.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
I think it is their best album, amazing work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
I'm still not the biggest fan of the opener and the seuge weirder tracks were a bit odd but everything else is brilliant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
I'm still not the biggest fan of the opener and the seuge weirder tracks were a bit odd but everything else is brilliant.

You don't like Unsainted?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2019, 12:19:21 AM »

You don't like Unsainted?

Not really.  Not yet anyway.  I find the chorus melody a bit poppy and just not a strong melody.  It's hard to explain.  it's not awful by any means, there's just something about it.  That song was why I haven't checked the album until now.  Had the same thought when I first heard it.  The verses are awesome though and as I said, I can listen to it.  I'm sure it will grow though.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2019, 03:58:53 AM »
I think it is their best album, amazing work.
I loved it, but to me self-titled sic album will always be my millenial bohemian rhapsody :D

The album covers a lot of metal genre and pretty well, so I enjoyed it, even if I am here only for the groove/death metal songs.

They say it themselves in interviews, it's the first time they work together rather sober and alive, and they appreciate it.
It's sad to know a band is not united outside of the stage.

There are few modern artists that can have such a career and renewed albums, that's great.

Saw them live on july 2nd and it was fantastic
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Mladen

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2019, 06:35:51 AM »
Unsainted strikes me as very plain. It's one of their safest singles with a chorus that sounds like you've heard it plenty of times before. It's not bad, it's just kind of fine.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
It is safe and standard but I cant shake the catchiness of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »
Unsainted strikes me as very plain. It's one of their safest singles with a chorus that sounds like you've heard it plenty of times before. It's not bad, it's just kind of fine.

Yes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
Also, the very start of A Liar's Funeral is blatant Aggaloch.  Mantle style.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Sucks All Out Life isnt on the album, that song is soo good too. Would have put the album over the edge for album of the year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2019, 02:42:16 AM »
Solway Firth is unbelievable.  Makes me want to kick my boss' office door in and punch him in the face then just walk out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2019, 03:11:41 AM »
Sucks All Out Life isnt on the album, that song is soo good too. Would have put the album over the edge for album of the year.

Well, you could always add it to a playlist and count it as the Japanese version (on which it is the last track).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2019, 04:42:18 AM »

Haven't heard that one.  Will have to check it out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
It would have been a top four song on the album.  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2019, 06:41:41 AM »
It was their first single of this album cycle, and one of the best new songs, odd choice not to include it in the regular release.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »

Well, you could always add it to a playlist and count it as the Japanese version (on which it is the last track).

I'd have to buy it though, which is annoying since I have the album.  I just keep listening to my live version of it on youtube. 

It was their first single of this album cycle, and one of the best new songs, odd choice not to include it in the regular release.

Not just because its an awesome song, but it also has the "we are not your kind" chant in it, which makes it even more weird that its not on the actual album.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
From what I read Corey didn't find the song fitting in with the rest of the album in some thematic sense. I was surprised to find out about the song much later after listening to the album. You can buy the mp3 version of it on amazon without having to get the Japanese CD edition.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »

Wowsers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2019, 11:46:35 PM »
Old does not mean dead
New does not mean best
No hard feelings
I'm tired of being right
About everything I've said
Yours does not mean mine
Kill does not mean die
We are not your kind
No excuses
I challenge you to all out fucking life

Honestly never loved Slipknot's very aggressive lyrics, but these lyrics really feel meaningful to me (other than the tired of being right line).  A big reason why I like All Out Life a lot. 

Slipknot - All Out Life Live NJ

I love my reaction 3 minutes into this  :rollin  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2019, 03:42:34 AM »

Wowsers.
I've been thinking about alternative album track list and what I would like it to be like if All out life were on it. It would be dull do just add it to the album. If it were to replace a song from the actual track list, I'd actually take out Unsainted and put All out life in its place. Yes, you would lose a hit opener, but you would have a brutal opener.  :metal

Other than that, I'd gladly exchange Orphan or Liar's funeral for All out life, although the latter is one of the few softer bits on the record.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2019, 04:19:58 AM »
Just had a listen to All Out Life.  A very cool track, but I wouldn't say it would beat most of the album tracks.  It kind of should be on there with the title of the album in there, but I can kind of see why Corey thinks it's hard to fit on the album, but I do agree it would actually fit better than Unsainted.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
Is anyone else completely blown away by My pain? It's amazing.  :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Is anyone else completely blown away by My pain? It's amazing.  :omg:

It's growing.  First listen I was like what the absolute fuck but each listen it gets better.  I fuvking love this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2019, 03:27:50 AM »
This cd keeps finding its way back into my car.  Amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
Yea, it totally moved up on my top 10 of 2019, not sure where exactly, but it moved up for pretty much the same reason.  I find myself going back to it often.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2019, 10:33:47 AM »
For me it is one of the best albums in the year and most certainly their best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2019, 02:51:02 AM »
Easily the band's best album.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2019, 05:02:35 AM »
I liked .5: The Gray Chapter way more to be honest. This album has some amazing songs, but a lot of them have really weird and borderline annoying vocal melodies (especially Nero Forte). The last album had lower highs, but was way more consistent throughout.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNqvH9ykfA

New music video for Nero Forte, listened to the full album for the first time a couple months and man it is so strong from start to finish.  I really like this song too. Music video isn't anything interesting other than the breakdown with everyone rocking out which is pretty cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »
Looks like they live debuted Birth of the Cruel and Nero Forte last night.  I'm glad they are starting to play more WANYK songs, these songs re fantastic and need to be played live IMO.  Birth of Cruel has grown as one of my favorites on the album, although it seems my favorites change  every time I play the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
I think it was Jim that said in an interview that he'd like to play the whole album live.  It's not a bad shout.