Author Topic: 2016 Academy Awards Thread  (Read 7768 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Academy Awards Thread
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »
Toy Story 3 got the nomination, and I thought Inside Out was better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »
Toy Story 3 got the nomination, and I thought Inside Out was better.
I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I certainly didn't think it was one of the 8 or 10 best films of the year.

There is a faction (not pointing any fingers here, not accusing anyone here) that thinks that the "best" animated film should be nominated for Best Picture every year.  I just don't buy that.

Watched Beasts of No Nation this weekend. Incredible.

IMHO, this film was definitely worthy of a Best Picture nod. But while I love Idris Elba, I didn't think he deserved a nomination. However, Abraham Attah, the boy who played Agu, gave a phenomenal performance, and probably WAS deserving of a nomination.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »
There is a faction (not pointing any fingers here, not accusing anyone here) that thinks that the "best" animated film should be nominated for Best Picture every year.
Definitely not the case for me, I just genuinely think that Inside Out is an absolutely wonderful film and the sort of film that deserves to be nominated. Far more than Toy Story 3, great as that was.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 09:16:33 AM »
I am highly disappointed that this movie wasn't named anywhere.  Forget Inside Out and Creed. This is the real acting right here.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
I especially like what that movie says about society today.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »
There is a faction (not pointing any fingers here, not accusing anyone here) that thinks that the "best" animated film should be nominated for Best Picture every year.  I just don't buy that.

My point was it should have been nominated because it was the most acclaimed movie of the year, not because it was the most acclaimed animation.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »
How do you judge "most acclaimed"?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
I may actually watch now that I know Spike Lee won't be there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
??? Why would that have anything to do with it?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »

That movie was absolutely fantastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
??? Why would that have anything to do with it?

He hates anyone named after a weapon.

His least favourite director is James Gunn.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »

That movie was absolutely fantastic.
It was incredibly well-done, and for me was the biggest of the supposed "snubs".

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
Just a joke in regards to the hububb over the whole white oscar deal. ;)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »
How do you judge "most acclaimed"?

Well, it's one of the most acclaimed movies of 2015, but i say the most because it was an higher metascore than other critics darlings like Mad Max and Spotlight and it was loved by the public as well.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Inside Out was easily one of the most acclaimed movies of the year. I'm surprised it didn't get the nomination for Best Picture as well, and one of the only animated films post Toy Story 3 I felt that deserved to be in the Best Picture category.  Surely it is a lock for Best Animated Feature.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
Don't even mention it. The King's Speech over Toy Story 3 (and Inception, Black Swan, Social Network) :-\
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:26:48 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 01:42:04 AM »
With the animated films vs best films, I don't really have a preference either way. I think having a category for the animated films is a great way to acknowledge them, but you get those rare situations like Up or Toy Story 3 when an animated film gets so good reviews and holds up so well that it should be considered for best film as well. I think due to the fact that they are two different mediums it might be really hard to compare the two. Sure, you could come to a conclusion which film you like more, but they're made so differently that comparing them is a tough challenge.

I don't watch the Pixar films myself, mainly because I'm not within the target audience or have any big interest for them. They might be great films, and something I would be open to go and see with a child or younger sibling, so maybe I will start going in the future when I have a kid myself. I know they make the films so that they appeal to all ages, but it's not something I would go out of my way to see.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »
I would say most of the recent Pixar films (Up, Wall-E, Inside Out) are better for adults than kids. Sure they're cute and fun so kids will love them, but they also provide a lot for grown ups to think about that kids just wouldn't get.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »
I would say most of the recent Pixar films (Up, Wall-E, Inside Out) are better for adults than kids. Sure they're cute and fun so kids will love them, but they also provide a lot for grown ups to think about that kids just wouldn't get.

These three are right up there with the best movies from their respective years.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
I feel I'm one of the only ones who found Up to be just OK. The beginning was amazing and heartbreaking but then it just devolved into a typical Pixar kids adventure movie. While the movie had a different message on a whole a short film of just the opening sequence would've been enough for me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »
Agreed. The opening is fantastic, but the rest is just okay.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 05:40:42 AM »
I don't agree. I mean, the opening is of course superb and heart-breaking, but the film as a whole is about how we deal with loss and whether in difficult situations we stop ourselves from doing things that we want, and that make us happy. I thought it was brilliantly done.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 05:44:47 AM »
I'd place it below Finding Nemo, which is my favourite.

Wall•E is worse than Up. once they get on the ship it's boring.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 07:09:27 AM »
Never actually saw Wall-E, and now I'm too spoiled to bother.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
I feel I'm one of the only ones who found Up to be just OK. The beginning was amazing and heartbreaking but then it just devolved into a typical Pixar kids adventure movie. While the movie had a different message on a whole a short film of just the opening sequence would've been enough for me.
I agree with you completely.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
I agree with you completely.

Up was depressing as hell. After the whole adventure, the kid's dad still bails on him, and the only friend he has is likely going to die soon.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
Looks like the Academy is going to shake things up about this whole diversity issue

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-takes-historic-action-increase-diversity

Lifetime voting rights reframed; new governor seats added and committees restructured

Goal to double number of diverse members by 2020

In a unanimous vote Thursday night (1/21), the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences approved a sweeping series of substantive changes designed to make the Academy’s membership, its governing bodies, and its voting members significantly more diverse.  The Board’s goal is to commit to doubling the number of women and diverse members of the Academy by 2020.

“The Academy is going to lead and not wait for the industry to catch up,” said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. “These new measures regarding governance and voting will have an immediate impact and begin the process of significantly changing our membership composition.”

Beginning later this year, each new member’s voting status will last 10 years, and will be renewed if that new member has been active in motion pictures during that decade.  In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three ten-year terms; or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award.  We will apply these same standards retroactively to current members.  In other words, if a current member has not been active in the last 10 years they can still qualify by meeting the other criteria.  Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status.  Emeritus members do not pay dues but enjoy all the privileges of membership, except voting.  This will not affect voting for this year’s Oscars.

At the same time, the Academy will supplement the traditional process in which current members sponsor new members by launching an ambitious, global campaign to identify and recruit qualified new members who represent greater diversity. 

In order to immediately increase diversity on the Board of Governors, the Academy will establish three new governor seats that will be nominated by the President for three-year terms and confirmed by the Board.

The Academy will also take immediate action to increase diversity by adding new members who are not Governors to its executive and board committees where key decisions about membership and governance are made. This will allow new members an opportunity to become more active in Academy decision-making and help the organization identify and nurture future leaders.

Along with Boone Isaacs, the Board’s Membership and Administration Committee, chaired by Academy Governor Phil Robinson, led the efforts to enact these initiatives.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
I'm sure there was a stat that 94% of members are white, or something like that? If so, then taking 5 years to double the number of ethnic minorities from 6% to 12% is pathetic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
This whole thing is so ridiculous...

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »
I'd bet money that a minority actor and actress will win something next year whether they deserve it or not. The same thing happened a few years back when Denzel and Halley Berry won for subpar movies.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
Will Smith dropped so many points in my book after his behavior regarding this.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
The whole is ridiculous. Honestly, I'm not even going to watch because the whole thing will probably be Chris Rock making jokes about white people which is racist in my opinion. Also, I feel bad for all of the actors who actually got nominated. Not very fair to them.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »

What did he do?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »

What did he do?

Him and his wife have called for all kinds of boycotts and shit. He turns down movie roles if they won't give his kid a role too. He turned down Django because he wouldn't have been the lead. He didn't do ID4-Resurgence because he wanted as much money as the rest of the cast combined. He's become a royal douche.

Hollywood is racist? This is Will Smith's house.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I'd bet money that a minority actor and actress will win something next year whether they deserve it or not. The same thing happened a few years back when Denzel and Halley Berry won for subpar movies.
Actors don't win for movies, they win for their individual performances.

Regardless of the overall films, if you don't think Denzel and Berry deserved their Oscars, I don't know what to tell you.