Author Topic: First Meet and Greet: tips and info sought  (Read 9572 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: First Meet and Greet: tips and info sought
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »
I typically don't think too much about what I am going to wear, but one time when I saw Iron Maiden I clearly didn't think at all before I left my house in the morning and actually wore a white t-shirt.  My friend ended up doing the same thing surprisingly on the same concert day.  So when we both arrived to the concert, we were the only two people in white shirts.  We were laughing so hard at ourselves.  The best part though, was the we were right up front, maybe about 3 or 4 people away from the barrier and the band released a crowd shot from the concert and you can clearly see a sea of black and two people with white shirts  :lol  (I saved this picture, but it's on my home PC) It seemed like we did that on purpose but I swear we did not.  Regardless, I woke up this morning knowing I am going to a concert right after work so I wore a black Jack Daniels shirt.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 07:04:43 AM »
My tendency is to try be the only person in a building wearing a particular shirt. That usually means it's not a shirt from the band performing, unless it's something unique. On the rare occasion that DT deigns to play Dallas I'll wear my Score shirt, for example. Otherwise, for shows down here I'll usually wear shirts from tours that didn't come through. 

My favorite shirt for that sort of occasion (something nobody else is wearing) is an all black shirt with two spotlights shining up on the words "Your band sucks."

I've worn that to multi-band festivals that we've played, several times.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
I typically don't think too much about what I am going to wear, but one time when I saw Iron Maiden I clearly didn't think at all before I left my house in the morning and actually wore a white t-shirt.  My friend ended up doing the same thing surprisingly on the same concert day.  So when we both arrived to the concert, we were the only two people in white shirts.  We were laughing so hard at ourselves.  The best part though, was the we were right up front, maybe about 3 or 4 people away from the barrier and the band released a crowd shot from the concert and you can clearly see a sea of black and two people with white shirts  :lol  (I saved this picture, but it's on my home PC) It seemed like we did that on purpose but I swear we did not.  Regardless, I woke up this morning knowing I am going to a concert right after work so I wore a black Jack Daniels shirt.
First time I saw Maiden I was 14 and doing a year at a Christian private school. I had to leave straight from school and was wearing a button down shirt and slacks. Tried my best to make it look casual and unkempt to blend in, but there's only so much you can do. We had passes for that show so I went backstage afterward wearing that, which made me feel even more dorky.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »
Just curious what folks think of this idea:

In 2007, I did a M&G with the band and got everyone to sign a 10" drum head, with MP drawing the DT logo in the center (on his own...I didn't request that).  I was thinking about bringing the same drum head and having MM sign it to have the "complete" lineup (at least ever since JR joined).  Would that be cool or tacky/weird?

For the DC stop of the ADTOE tour, I brought the original Lifting Shadows (box and all) and asked them to sign the box.  MM said "you sure you want me to sign this?  I'm not in it."  I said of course I wanted him to sign it, he's part of the family now; JLB looked at me and laughed a little bit.  For the three M&Gs I've done, they've all been very relaxed and signed anything in front of them.

I'll say that JP, MP (2007), and JM have been the most responsive during the M&Gs I've been a part of; JP especially.  He joked with my wife and I a little about the GoT chair he's sitting in on the Guitar World cover I had him sign... he told my wife he has that chair and sits in it all the time for "inspiration".  JP's got a natural laugh.

I try to remember to tell them that I appreciate what they do... and that they're still doing it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
For the M & G on this tour what is the time frame for it? I guess specifically, can you exit the location of the meet & greet and come back in later for your seat. I am intending on getting a guitar signed and am hoping I can give it to a buddy outside to take to my house as I don't really want to carry it around all night. Thanks for any responses........cheers!

Time wise there will be enough time for you to take the guitar back out to your friend (or to take signed items to the car). Some venues have a strict no re-entry policy but we've never had an issue when asking nicely to drop things off to our car after a VIP.  I would definitely ask when you check in for the VIP, and then when you exit, make sure you tell security at the door what you are doing and that you'll be right back.

Offline oyajiben

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »
Well, the M&G at the Palladium was a little - rushed.  I forked out for the Mick Fleetwood M&G at the Fleetwood Mac O2 show last year, and that was my only other M&G experience. Mick was great, he spent a lot of time with us, chatting, taking questions, it was a real experience.

By contrast, DT were strictly in, photo, autograph, out. It certainly wasn't value for money. There were about 90 people there, and while I get that they can only spend a few seconds with each one, I don't think it would have hurt them to talk to us as a group, and take a few Q&As.

The "poster" was a tiny 12"x12" - a real let down after the giant art print on the last tour. And the "special" tour gift was even less special! So while I'm glad I've got a CD signed, I certainly don't feel I Met or Gret the band, and buying a signed CD from EBay would probably have been cheaper. All in all I feel a bit ripped off - this really wasn't a VFM experience! :(

In general, has anybody seen the official photos of the meet and greet? I got the platinum package for this coming Saturday in LA and got the password of the "event" site so I checked out almost every single picture of the meet and greets . The quality of the pics is pretty lame and based on several pics I saw from different angles, looks like there's a guy or two taking pictures with a smart phone. I hope they aren't the official "photographers" (in quotation marks, as a real photographer uses a camera not a cell phone).

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
Definitely not smart phone pictures.  They used a real camera in every M&G I've attended.  Personally, I've never had any qualms with the quality of the images made available, but others might have higher standards.  I dunno.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 10:47:39 PM »
Are you allowed to bring your own camera for meet and greets?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 10:56:22 PM »
I don't think so.  They do not allow you to take your own pictures with the band.

Offline Uncle Pauly

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
When do they send your info for M & G?  My show is in 2 days and I don't have yet to be contacted.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »
When do they send your info for M & G?  My show is in 2 days and I don't have yet to be contacted.

Should be by today. You could also just email songkick. Also, make sure you check your spam folder.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
Cell phone picture would be better quality than what we do get... It's a 1280x720 shot cropped to remove the border around the DT banner - so in practice it's arround 1100 wide... Not print quality at all. Having a picture taken by my iPhone would be a tremendous quality increase over what we did get...

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
I think I will just bump this old thread instead of making a new ones so less clutter.

Anyway I am wondering how did the meet and greet events in 2017 Images and words beyond go? I am excited will see them in two days in Manila!

I have my Tablature of I&W and Awake ready to be signed by JP, I also plan to bring the I&W sleeve to be signed by the rest.

I have already a few questions ready to ask them except for MM and JLB!!

I don't want to sound awkward or much worst rude!, English is not my first language obviously lol.
And she listens openly

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
If it is anything like Australia, you will have time to get your things signed and ask quick questions.
You may get pushed along if it looks like you are holding everyone else up.
But they are all very friendly, and as everyone else in the line is a fan as well, they won't rush you!  :)

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
Nice I am excited .

I am litteraly waiting at the venue now as of this moment!!
And she listens openly

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »
Alright. Show is tomorrow...

I'm going to bring the Images portion of the DT biography. And have them sign a random photo from inside.  Also, I'm gonna ask them if they have a story to go with that pic. One special question from JR, since he was here and posted a pic on his FB page, probably checking out the venue.

Also, I have no idea what to have Mangini sign?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
Alright. Show is tomorrow...

I'm going to bring the Images portion of the DT biography. And have them sign a random photo from inside.  Also, I'm gonna ask them if they have a story to go with that pic. One special question from JR, since he was here and posted a pic on his FB page, probably checking out the venue.

Also, I have no idea what to have Mangini sign?

I choked during my Meet and greet if this is your first time damn you might get star struck and just fumble around and may end up you getting the band sign the wrong items or that wrong place.

That is my dilemma too what to have Mike Mangini sign.  I am suppose to have him sign a Steve Vai album the Fire Garden Suite where he performed Drums but I panicked and he end up signing my Images and Words album sleeve instead.
And she listens openly

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Yeah I just ended up having them sign pics I just randomly turned to. Funny thing JLB and JR were both surprised at the Images portion of the biography...asking something akin to "what version is this? Ive never seen this?"

Particularly JR because the page he signed was when he joined and it had an old pic of him.

It was fun and neat. But I felt rushed but could've been me being me. Did get a bit starstruck but not much. I know they're people too and pretty funny as well.

Myung was Myung, and JP was really talkative. Asking how we were, I said "Ready to rock" he said "Thats what I like to hear."

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »
Yeah I just ended up having them sign pics I just randomly turned to. Funny thing JLB and JR were both surprised at the Images portion of the biography...asking something akin to "what version is this? Ive never seen this?"

Particularly JR because the page he signed was when he joined and it had an old pic of him.

It was fun and neat. But I felt rushed but could've been me being me. Did get a bit starstruck but not much. I know they're people too and pretty funny as well.

Myung was Myung, and JP was really talkative. Asking how we were, I said "Ready to rock" he said "Thats what I like to hear."

Good you seem to really enjoyed

I enjoyed greatly too, I felt a bit rushed but not because we are being rushed its just I lost tracked of time.  I was not able to talk much to Jordan because when I saw Mike Mangini there is no one infront of him so he has nothing to do and when he made I contact he smiled and wave at me and ask me

"Hey whats up" "What album do you want me to sign?"

I was not prepared for that I thought they will be too busy signing others stuff but damn I choked and I just said hi and I made him sign the Images and Words sleeve, I was still infront of Jordan so I just said thank you to Jordan and move on to Mike, Mike was saying something like "Oh wow do you want to sign that book too?"  he was referring to my Awake Guitar Tablature so I just hand it over to him and I said thank you.

Even though I am not suppose to have him sign it but its like I don't want to disappoint him or something so I just say yes please. Oh and I am not really prepared that they will really interact like that. As for JP it seems he is kinda super relax and just being himself and I ask him a quick question " I ask him if he ever played classical guitar pieces like in a real classical nylon guitar and it seems it kinda caught him offguard and have to think for a couple of seconds and he replied "oh nope sorry but I never played classical" and he replied "do you?"

That is where I got starstruck more damn the Guitar God just ask me back if I play classical guitar and that is where it got awkward I was not able to directly answer the question and I just mumbled something and said "ah yes but I am not really good at it" I think he felt that I am really feeling awkward and he just said "oh uhh okay" And I just thank you and move to James.

Oh my Like I said I felt rushed because I think was not able to compose myself and I moved kinda fast really a great experience though, I would certainly do it again even though I think it is overpriced.

I think it is really just better to bring two items since you are only allowed to have them sign up to two Items per member. I planned to have them signed different album covers per member so I brought like 5 items total. Like I only plan JP and  to sign the Awake and I&Ws guitar tabs and have James and Jordan Labrie Sign Scenes from a memory and I&Ws and John Myung to sign the Awake albums  and for Mike to sign the tour poster 

It got too complicated when I am already there and I end up only getting one signature from Jordan and John Myung.
And she listens openly