Author Topic: First Meet and Greet: tips and info sought  (Read 9573 times)

Offline Air Weaver

First Meet and Greet: tips and info sought
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
Hey folks, new to this board, but not to DT. I've been on board since Images and Words was the buzz in my local CD shop in college. Getting WDADU as an import was my biggest non-beer expense my junior year.

This is only my third DT show overall, and first in maybe 15 years. I have been to tons of live concerts over the years, probably 200+, so I am a veteran show goer.

But I've never been to a VIP meet and greet event before. I splurged on it for the Baltimore show. I was going to take our two kids, aged 9 and 12 to the show, but it's a school night and they are missing a week of school already for a trip to Dallas. So I parlayed that into part of a VIP ticket.

Anyway, I think my first question has been answered: do they sign stuff you bring? I have one piece I would really like to get signed, and I'm thinking about taking one more. I don't want to be the guy with a bag full, but is there a generally accepted limit? Is it one? I'm especially psyched that the VIP package included a signed poster. I'm a concert poster guy.

My other burning question may sound silly, but I'll ask anyway. So as I mentioned, I go to a lot of shows, and I have always followed the cardinal rule: you don't wear the shirt of the band you're going to see. (I had my kids violate this when they got Weird Al and Foo Fighters shirts at shows this last year, but they're kids.)  --- Now, I'm pysched to get my picture with the band. I would typically wear my Rush jersey from the 2012 tour (maybe it was 2011) because it's way cooler than any other concert tshirt I've gotten, and this would be an appreciative crowd.

But, if I'm going to meet a band and pose with them for a picture, is it douchey to be wearing another band's merch? Is this a special case?
I know the show is like 3+ months away and I am way over thinking this, but hey, that's what internet boards are for, right? Overanalyzing and nitpicking?

I'm also interested in knowing what the general VIP experience involves, how long you're backstage, is there a bar, etc.. I am going to the show with three friends, but I'm probably the only one doing VIP.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: First Meet and Greet: tips and info sought
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »
(1) Don't be the guy with a bag of stuff to sign.  The organizer's request that you don't, and it slows the line down. 

(2)  I've never heard of that silly cardinal rule.  Why bother selling concert shirts if concert goers have a reluctance to wear them at -- the concert!  Don't worry, the band does not care what you are wearing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »
Don't grab JP's crotch no matter how distracted you get him.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
I actually always wear the t-shirt of the band I'm going to see if I have one. Especially if I was at one of the previous concerts and have a tour t-shirt. It's quite nice experience anyway - on the latest DT show I had fans asking me where did I get the 2011 pre-ADToE tour t-shirt.

And if I don't have a said band t-shirt, I'll wear the most related one - for example, for the upcoming Nightwish gig I'm going to wear Ayreon's The Theory of Everything t-shirt because Marco was singing on it and Floor Jansen is a welcome guest on Ayreon too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
^^^^ This.

I did a M&G in 2007 with the band and it was cool, but short.  They basically have you line up and you go by each band member one by one to say hi, ask a very quick question if you have one, and get something (one item) signed by them.  When I went, I brought a 10" drum head that they all signed, and MP even drew the DT logo in the center.

I would try to have at least one question ready for each band member, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll remember one of them because you're star struck and speechless.   :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
You already get a poster that they'll sign, so you can usually just bring one more item. Maybe two, if the M&G isn't super busy. If they have 50 people at the M&G, it goes without saying that they don't have the time to spend a minute with each of the visitors as well as taking the photo.

As for shirt - bring your best DT shirt. Who cares about silly rules.

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. I am realizing the psuedo-hipster rule I go by is pretty much absent in the prog world. That's why I asked. I honestly don't have any DT wear. I didn't pick any up at the only two shows I went to ages ago. I am tempted by the work shirt with the Eclipse.

Looks like the M&G VIP is sold out for Baltimore, so I am sure it will be crowded. I also do a very particular kind of art, and I'm planning to bring a piece to give the band. I hope that's cool. It might just be for the picture.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
The whole rule about t-shirts is kind of funny, did that come from a movie?  It's not true at all, I'd imagine since you've gone to other shows you have noticed it.

I typically may be the only one not wearing a band t-shirt at a show, I just don't normally wear band t-shirts anymore.

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
I have never heard about that "Rule" either.
I always wear the band t-shirt on the shows i go to.
At least in Europe most people do. Correct me if I am wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
Well, an Adrenaline Mob or Winery Dogs tee might be a bit out of place ;)

The shirt you wear is what you'll always see for your band picture.  Considering how they're all Rush fans, and JP was with Geddie on 'That Metal Show', you'd be in good company.  I wore a Queen Jazz tour jacket for a VIP thing, and it provided a bit of a conversation piece.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:56:00 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »
Yeah, when I did the M&G in 2007, I wore a TAMA drum shirt and MP said, "Nice shirt!"  :biggrin:

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:11 AM »
To be fair, I almost never wear the shirt of the band I'm going to see. Not some "rule" - just personal choice.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:55:29 AM »
Well, the M&G at the Palladium was a little - rushed.  I forked out for the Mick Fleetwood M&G at the Fleetwood Mac O2 show last year, and that was my only other M&G experience. Mick was great, he spent a lot of time with us, chatting, taking questions, it was a real experience.

By contrast, DT were strictly in, photo, autograph, out. It certainly wasn't value for money. There were about 90 people there, and while I get that they can only spend a few seconds with each one, I don't think it would have hurt them to talk to us as a group, and take a few Q&As.

The "poster" was a tiny 12"x12" - a real let down after the giant art print on the last tour. And the "special" tour gift was even less special! So while I'm glad I've got a CD signed, I certainly don't feel I Met or Gret the band, and buying a signed CD from EBay would probably have been cheaper. All in all I feel a bit ripped off - this really wasn't a VFM experience! :(

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:18:17 AM »
To be fair, I almost never wear the shirt of the band I'm going to see. Not some "rule" - just personal choice.
Usually same for me. Mainly because if I'm wearing a band t-shirt, it's to say "I like this band". If I'm at a gig for the band, it's pretty much a given that I like them, so wearing a different band provides a different potential talking point. Not a rule at all though. Especially if one of the bands I'm interested in is the support, then I'll usually wear their t-shirt if I have one, for a similar reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:20:18 AM »
I certainly don't feel I Met or Gret the band
I love creating new words. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:43 AM »

:lol Just imagine if you did that though.

Hey !

Hey ! What's up ?

On not much * GRAB*

:|

:emo: WHY THE FUCK DID I DO THAT

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 05:49:48 AM »

:lol Just imagine if you did that though.

Hey !

Hey ! What's up ?

On not much * GRAB*

:|

:emo: WHY THE FUCK DID I DO THAT

I've met him a number of times and judging by his personality that would probably be beyond awkward for him. Someone like MP would probably get freaked out and then laugh about it.  I can always sense JPs awkwardness when talking on stage and whatnot. He's definitely more introverted and I would become his new Count of Tuscany. He'd probably write a song called The Goose of Prince's Bay.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
I thought JP came across as the most open and friendly of the lot of them, together with MM. JLB was either really jet-lagged or saving his energy for the show, and JR came across really intense, like an old physics professor or something.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:33 PM »
Well, the M&G at the Palladium was a little - rushed.  I forked out for the Mick Fleetwood M&G at the Fleetwood Mac O2 show last year, and that was my only other M&G experience. Mick was great, he spent a lot of time with us, chatting, taking questions, it was a real experience.

By contrast, DT were strictly in, photo, autograph, out. It certainly wasn't value for money. There were about 90 people there, and while I get that they can only spend a few seconds with each one, I don't think it would have hurt them to talk to us as a group, and take a few Q&As.

The "poster" was a tiny 12"x12" - a real let down after the giant art print on the last tour. And the "special" tour gift was even less special! So while I'm glad I've got a CD signed, I certainly don't feel I Met or Gret the band, and buying a signed CD from EBay would probably have been cheaper. All in all I feel a bit ripped off - this really wasn't a VFM experience! :(
Sorry to hear that Orange. It wasn't always like that - back when they started the whole paid M&G thing, originally they limited the number of people that could get the M&G package and besides the photo with the band, there was time to mingle with the band members. Shame that it's devolved to what it has.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Carlos_7x

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
I was wondering if I could go with a blue beard - MP alike without any trouble.

But then I decided not to.  :-\

Offline genome

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
I thought JP came across as the most open and friendly of the lot of them, together with MM. JLB was either really jet-lagged or saving his energy for the show, and JR came across really intense, like an old physics professor or something.

I was lucky enough to meet them after the show for about 20 or 30 minutes. I think MM was a little tipsy on wine and was really outgoing. JP was great, though I found JLB to be quite relaxed and chatty (he was telling me and ariich about how he nearly chopped his fingers off before the tour) so perhaps he was just a little nervous about the show. Definitely agreed on JR. He was perfectly chatty, but the way he holds your gaze is quite intense.  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »

I was lucky enough to meet them after the show for about 20 or 30 minutes. I think MM was a little tipsy on wine and was really outgoing. JP was great, though I found JLB to be quite relaxed and chatty (he was telling me and ariich about how he nearly chopped his fingers off before the tour) so perhaps he was just a little nervous about the show. Definitely agreed on JR. He was perfectly chatty, but the way he holds your gaze is quite intense.  :lol
I'd agree with that, but I have to say I really liked JR. I can see why he might come across as intense, but to me he came across as genuinely interested, which I really liked.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline genome

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
Oh, yeah of course! He was great.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 05:02:30 PM »
I've met them all numerous times, and even interviewed MP with a friend for a local radio station, and I have to say that James has been the most outgoing and friendliest.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 06:14:16 AM »
I've met them all numerous times, and even interviewed MP with a friend for a local radio station, and I have to say that James has been the most outgoing and friendliest.

Probably cause he is Canadian and not American  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 06:19:43 AM »

Probably cause he is Canadian and not American  :lol

That could very well be it. You know how desperate those Canadians are for friendship.   :lol   *hides from Chad*

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 12:33:58 PM »
When you shake Mangini's hand, announce loudly "Wow! I can't believe I'm meeting Mike Portnoy!"
Address JMX as Ma'am.
Try to grab Petrucci's crotch at least twice. I've heard it's worth it.
Whatever you say to JLB, make sure it ends with eh.
Try do discuss gravity and space-time with Rudess. I'll bet he's got some fascinating insight.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pcs90

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
When you shake Mangini's hand, announce loudly "Wow! I can't believe I'm meeting Mike Portnoy!"
I can't help but wonder if this has ever actually happened.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »
The whole rule about t-shirts is kind of funny, did that come from a movie?  It's not true at all, I'd imagine since you've gone to other shows you have noticed it.

I typically may be the only one not wearing a band t-shirt at a show, I just don't normally wear band t-shirts anymore.

It's probably a little sad that this will be my input on the thread.... but yes - it was from movie.  1994's cinematic apex, PCU. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU

Offline Tathy

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
A
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:48:27 AM by Tathy »

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Just curious what folks think of this idea:

In 2007, I did a M&G with the band and got everyone to sign a 10" drum head, with MP drawing the DT logo in the center (on his own...I didn't request that).  I was thinking about bringing the same drum head and having MM sign it to have the "complete" lineup (at least ever since JR joined).  Would that be cool or tacky/weird?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »

It's probably a little sad that this will be my input on the thread.... but yes - it was from movie.  1994's cinematic apex, PCU. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU

Classic.  I love PCU.  Although I still think the T-shirt rule is wrong.

Offline Uncle Pauly

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
For the M & G on this tour what is the time frame for it? I guess specifically, can you exit the location of the meet & greet and come back in later for your seat. I am intending on getting a guitar signed and am hoping I can give it to a buddy outside to take to my house as I don't really want to carry it around all night. Thanks for any responses........cheers!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
Just curious what folks think of this idea:

In 2007, I did a M&G with the band and got everyone to sign a 10" drum head, with MP drawing the DT logo in the center (on his own...I didn't request that).  I was thinking about bringing the same drum head and having MM sign it to have the "complete" lineup (at least ever since JR joined).  Would that be cool or tacky/weird?
I don't know if they would think it was weird/tacky or not. However, I suspect MM would be far too polite to object, and it's not like any of them were going to ask you out for drinks after the show, or invite you to fuck their sister or something. If it's something you want signed I don't see why it'd be a problem. Personally, I don't think it'd be something I wanted. I'd take a different drum head and get them all to sign that one (and order Mangini to draw something on it better than Portnoy's).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
My tendency is to try be the only person in a building wearing a particular shirt. That usually means it's not a shirt from the band performing, unless it's something unique. On the rare occasion that DT deigns to play Dallas I'll wear my Score shirt, for example. Otherwise, for shows down here I'll usually wear shirts from tours that didn't come through. 
E.F. Benson