Author Topic: Los Angeles, Wiltern show.... 10/26/17  (Read 5098 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Los Angeles, Wiltern show.... 10/26/17
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »
Who's going?  I was shocked to pop in and not see a thread!  Unless I missed it...LOL.  Anywho...anyone going?  Meet up for beers and eats before the show?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: Los Angeles, Wiltern show.... 10/26/17
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 12:14:03 AM »
Got the day off for the Wiltern show -- going to the DT meet & greet, so I'll be there early. Looking forward to seeing all the DTFers at the show.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »
Got the day off for the Wiltern show -- going to the DT meet & greet, so I'll be there early. Looking forward to seeing all the DTFers at the show.

Yeah, I actually had to burn 2 vac. days for this show.  Thursday night!  Ugh!!!!  :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
thinking heavily about it...would love to meet up again if so

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »

Yeah, I actually had to burn 2 vac. days for this show.  Thursday night!  Ugh!!!!  :lol
Yeah, but Change of Seasons live, so .. ya know, worth it, right?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »

Yeah, but Change of Seasons live, so .. ya know, worth it, right?
  You nailed it on the head!  Out of the 12 or so times I've seen DT, I've never seen it in it's entirety.  And it is my Fav piece of music.   Having I&W's is an added bonus... :)

thinking heavily about it...would love to meet up again if so
  It would be awesome to see you again Brother!  My better half will be there again too!

Offline earlilano

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm hoping someone tonight or tomorrow can post the setlist for the Oakland show. I'm curious if they are making any changes.  :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
If anyone want's to meet up pre show for eats or drinks shoot me a text!

Greg

714 510-7693

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
I'll be there!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
All I need to know is the first song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• EB
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:11:30 PM »
Just finished the first set. So far, whoever the front of house guy is is an idiot. The sound is terrible. Can hardly hear Jordan, Labrie's vocals are too harsh, everything sounds like it's hitting a brick wall limiter.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:44:39 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

• EB
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:53:28 AM »
*update* second half sounded MUCH better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Show is on Dime
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=604408

The sample is DLPM. Rough night for James....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »
Had such a great time at this show!  I forgot how invigorating the I&W songs can be.  Lots of fist pumping.  To my ears, the band did NOT tune down a 1/2 step for some of the I&W set - James simply sang in a lower register for the challenging parts, which was still cool.  A couple next to me started smoking cigarettes during Under a Glass Moon, and James complained that it was like swallowing razors.  I've mentioned this inconsideration of concert goers several times in this forum - I'm just glad JLB feels the same way. :hat

Don't Look Past Me was the highlight for sure (for me).  JP sang all the back up vocals, which I read were absent the night before in Oakland.  James remarked afterward that they only rehearsed the song in one sound check.

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't use the intro tape for Pull Me Under.

In case it hadn't been mentioned before, JP's outro solo included a snippet of Glasgow Kiss as the jumping off point for the main jam.

Ultimately, one of the most complete anniversary shows I've attended.

• EB
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
Had such a great time at this show!  I forgot how invigorating the I&W songs can be.  Lots of fist pumping.  To my ears, the band did NOT tune down a 1/2 step for some of the I&W set - James simply sang in a lower register for the challenging parts, which was still cool.  A couple next to me started smoking cigarettes during Under a Glass Moon, and James complained that it was like swallowing razors.  I've mentioned this inconsideration of concert goers several times in this forum - I'm just glad JLB feels the same way. :hat

Don't Look Past Me was the highlight for sure (for me).  JP sang all the back up vocals, which I read were absent the night before in Oakland.  James remarked afterward that they only rehearsed the song in one sound check.

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't use the intro tape for Pull Me Under.

In case it hadn't been mentioned before, JP's outro solo included a snippet of Glasgow Kiss as the jumping off point for the main jam.

Ultimately, one of the most complete anniversary shows I've attended.
The Glasgow Kiss snippet was one of my favorite parts of the entire show. Completely unexpected. I definitely noticed that some of the songs were tuned down, but as you said, not all of them were. The best part of the entire show for me was Wait For Sleep. James was phenomenal. I was practically in tears.  :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
Awesome show!  Had a great time with some folks at the Terra Cotta Rest & Bar before the show.  The sound was great where we were at, pretty evenly balanced.  Highlights for me were of course ACOS...first time in 13 shows seeing them that I got to see the complete song.  I&W's was of course spectacular!  And to agree with RaiseTheKnife, I didn't think they half stepped it down, and was fully expecting it.  Other Highlights... BAI and To Live Forever, got to see it at the 15 yr WDADU show also...love that song!  Overall a fantastic show!!!!!!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
As a separate post, here is the another installment of RTK's Meet & Greet Questions.  I wrote down my questions, but please keep in mind I am paraphrasing DT's responses to the best of my recollection.  The questions are in the order of how the band was situated at the M&G table:

John Myung
RTK:  Is "Moon Bubbles" considered an official DT song and a part of the Images and Words era? 
JM:  It was really a one-off thing, not intended for an album or release.
RTK: Would you ever consider re-learning and performing it again in a live setting, or will it forever only exist in 1993? 
JM:  No.  I haven't listened to it since then.

James Labrie
[JLB reacts to a copy of my live bootleg CD “Dream Theater – Excellent” as he is signing it]
RTK:   That's Kevin Moore's last show in the U.S.
JLB: Oh yeah, I remember that.  The Palace?
RTK: Dunno, somewhere in New York but I’d have to look it up. [venue was Manhattan Center]
RTK: I'll be singing back-up for you tonight.
JLB: On "Don't Look”?  Okay, I'll listen for ya.
[RTK sings "So when you are lonely, when you are tired. ."]
JLB: Yup, that's it.
RTK:  Hope to see you next year in this part of the country (CA) for the Imperment Resonance shows.
JLB:  Yeah, man!

Mike Mangini
RTK:  Do the Patriots have a chance at beating the Chargers this weekend?
MM:   Yes!! 
[and we talked a little more Patriots jibber-jabber]

Jordan Rudess
RTK:  Having performed or recorded with full orchestras, choirs, other composers, string quartets, etc., are there any other types of musicians or music you would like to incorporate into the DT experience?
JR:  I’ve been listening to a lot of Indian Carnatic music lately, so that would be cool.

John Petrucci
RTK:  One of the staples 1993 was the rise of live bootleg releases from the Images & Words tour.  While not to the bands benefit, it did demonstrate a huge appetite for Dream Theater.  I’d like to know if there is actually an unofficial bootleg that you secretly enjoy, or were happy that a particular performance was preserved on CD by the fans? 
JP:  You mean unofficial, not one of ours?
RTK:  Yes.
JP:  Not really, I didn’t really pay attention to those, so I wouldn’t be able to say.
RTK:  Gotcha. Thank you, and happy anniversary!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
I don't know what I find more impressive, the fact that you were so prepared with your questions or that they take the time to engage in conversation as they're signing stuff and give informative, detailled answers.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
Was it sold out?
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
I don't know what I find more impressive, the fact that you were so prepared with your questions or that they take the time to engage in conversation as they're signing stuff and give informative, detailled answers.

Thanks, Mladen, just trying to get my money's worth.

Yes, Keyboard Wizard, it was sold out.

• EB
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »