Author Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance  (Read 2670 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:12:49 PM »
Could've sworn I started a thread for this when it was first announced.

Coming to Netflix in August, can't believe how stoked I am for this one. New teaser trailer dropped today and it's off the hook...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSV42j8lccg

Offline PetFish

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
Holy crap!

If those aren't puppets then I'd say CGI has just taken a quantum leap forward from yesterday.  It looks to be a nice combo of practical and digital.

... and I'm still scared of the Skexis.  They creep me out, man.  Too bad no Whoopie for Aughra.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
It's the Jim Henson Company so I would say it's a foregone conclusion that it is puppets.

But this answers the question:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3526101/netflix-prequel-series-dark-crystal-age-resistance-will-pure-puppetry-no-cgi/

And, yes, I am immensely excited for this. Huge fan of the original movie.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »
Wow! interesting! guess I'll have to watch that original movie then, I missed out on that!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
I think the original movie is an abomination but there's something charming about this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
I think the original movie is an abomination but there's something charming about this.

Blasphemy...

For those curious as to the actual size of the Skeksis...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
You are the most amazing man I know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
You can't tell by the pic, but RJ is actually 8 feet tall too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

Blasphemy...

Yeah, them's fighting words. It's probably an age thing. The movie was a seminal part of my youth, as were the Muppets and Jim Henson in general. I'm 42 so I was 6 when the film came out.

Wow, I'm old.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
I didn't see it until I was 20, so... yeah. It was worse than Labyrinth. But I'm still intrigued about this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »

I need more info, please.

The Skexies scared me shitless when I was a kid and I found myself crapping my pants a little when I saw them in the trailer.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
You are the most amazing man I know.
:heart

You can't tell by the pic, but RJ is actually 8 feet tall too.

And proportional ;)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 01:22:46 AM »
Aaaand starting ep. 1

I pray to all the higher powers they don't fuck this one up.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 04:19:59 PM »
I'm about 8 episodes in, and very much enjoying it. It's got a real good blend of light and dark, with some moments of levity that are heavy on the cheese, and dark moments that make you wish wouldn't happen. It's very, very well done, definitely the cutting edge of puppetry. There's a scene in EP7 where the puppets tell the story of Thra through a puppet show, sort of a puppetry inception, which is just mindblowingly beautiful.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
Starting this now. I'm just about 15-20 minutes in and, good lord is this visually stunning so far.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 07:44:23 PM »
Finished it last night, thoroughly satisfying. I'll wait for a few peeps to catch up before discussing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »
I'm through the first 5. Loving it. They really nailed some of the voices. Simon Pegg is really nailing Chamberlain. Never would have thought he could do a voice like that. Aughra is pretty dead on too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
I'm through the first 5. Loving it. They really nailed some of the voices. Simon Pegg is really nailing Chamberlain. Never would have thought he could do a voice like that. Aughra is pretty dead on too.

Yeah, they did get them good, and Hammill is brilliant as the scientist.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »
Will watch, visually this looks sublime in the trailers.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:13 AM »
I liked the original film (saw it for the first time last year), but two episodes in I just really love this. It has a unique atmosphere I love so much and the world building is really great.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »
Just finished it. It was just stunning to watch. Hoping they get to continue this. They obviously left room to get to the movie.

Online faizoff

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 07:00:18 AM »
I too finished this yesterday after watching the movie for the very first time a couple of weeks back. The movie imagery is a little hard to get over, it does look dated and is distracting at times but the story and themes are all great.

The show is actually very entertaining, I loved how you see the world a lot more expanded and given greater detail and is really hard to come to grips at times. It's really a great fantasy show with intriguing plot lines even though the movie should already set you up for the inevitable fate and convergence to the movie plot.

The voice acting was great with Mark Hammil and Simon Pegg in particular, very unrecognizable.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 07:24:39 AM »
Six episodes in and I think this is far superior to the film. World building, visuals, scale of the story, the characters, the pacing etc. Some wonky scenes here and there but they are minor gripes for me. One of those cases where a prequel adds a lot. And knowing how it all will end gives the series a tragic undertone.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »
And knowing how it all will end gives the series a tragic undertone.

I keep thinking this myself. I already know how bad things get and I know things can only get darker and worse for the characters. It's an odd feeling to watch the show this way. I want to be happy when something good happens but then I immediately think of the movie. It's a unique way to watch a show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
Do I need to have seen the movie to understand/enjoy the series? I don't recall ever having seen the movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
Do I need to have seen the movie to understand/enjoy the series? I don't recall ever having seen the movie.

No. The first episodes have a lot of world building and should introduce everything you need to know quite clearly.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »

No. The first episodes have a lot of world building and should introduce everything you need to know quite clearly.

:tup  Thanks
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
You can definitely watch the show without seeing the movie seeing as how the show is a prequel to the movie. I think I probably should've done the same and watched the show without seeing the movie. But when you read up on the show anywhere, they will inevitably bring up the movie and where some of the plots lead so things can get spoiled that way.

Having said that, the show is still very enjoyable on its own merits. I think the initial few episodes are a little overwhelming in terms of setting up landscapes and characters because it's very much like GOT and LOTR that way, very expansive with different clans, settings, etc...
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »
I watched the making of the show on Netflix called The Crystal Calls. It's a fantastic documentary that details the entire process of the making of the show from the initial pitch by the writers to everything else.

It was interesting to see how they first tested with trying to make some characters CG and others puppets and abandoned that idea and dove all to puppets. I wonder how much the entire show cost to make.

Props to the director Louis Leterrier for directing all episodes and being so hands on and involved with so many aspects of the show, it helps maintain the vision and feel of the show and keep it consistent.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »
I just noticed that when I was browsing Netflix last night. It is on my to-do list to watch.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 10:08:46 AM »
4 episodes in and loving it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »
Almost done with it. Have a few episodes left. Disenchantment put a pause in my viewing. Weird cause I'm watching The Dark Crystal with more significance than Disenchantment.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online faizoff

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
Another day another Netflix show cancellation.

Bummer. I really enjoyed the story and the lore it built.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 02:52:22 AM »
Oof, this one stings. At least they state they are looking for ways to tell the story.