Author Topic: Additional North American dates....on sale "soon"  (Read 2539 times)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Additional North American dates....on sale "soon"
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
Apr29
Royal Oak Music Theatre
Royal Oak, MI, United States   
On Sale Soon

May5
Mesa Arts Center
Mesa, AZ, United States   
On Sale Soon

May6 (2nd show)
The Wiltern
Los Angeles, CA, United States   
On Sale Soon

May8
Fox Theater
Oakland, CA, United States   
On Sale Soon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Additional North American dates....on sale "soon"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:05 PM »
Great. Once again, Texas/Louisiana/Florida/Georgia/the Carolinas get royally screwed. :facepalm:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
Phew..... was getting nervous there....

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:42:43 AM »
Great. Once again, Texas/Louisiana/Florida/Georgia/the Carolinas get royally screwed. :facepalm:

The band could extend into middle and late May and hit those areas. Of course they could just go home to family and then decide the next step. Do they normally play the summer festivals in europe?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
The band could extend into middle and late May and hit those areas. Of course they could just go home to family and then decide the next step. Do they normally play the summer festivals in europe?
To begin with, for anyone to expect some dates in the south on this run of shows is quite frankly expecting a bit much. I say this based on precedents that the band has already established on previous tours. The band spends no more than 5 weeks on the road usually, and with the first date in Quebec and the final date in Seattle, with only a handful of dates that weren't filled in, there's no way any shows in the south realistically could be added. And in terms of cost, it wouldn't make sense for the band to add a week's worth of shows before or after the current dates since there'd be a major cost involved in transporting everything as well as allowing a couple days to get everything there.

That said, the band and management are well aware of the dearth of Evening With tour dates in the south. Whether that will be addressed during this tour cycle remains to be seen, but the best that can be suggested to those who are understandably disappointed with the current tour dates is just to be patient. Easier said than done, yes, but that's all that can reasonably done at this time.

As for whether they'd play festivals in Europe this summer, hard to say. On the one hand, it always makes sense since it allows them the opportunity to play to large crowds that largely are not their fanbase, in the hopes of extending that fanbase. But with this tour being all about the new album, and presenting it in full, maybe not. Typically the festival shows don't allow for a long setlist, and I'd imagine that the band would be expected to play some of their older material, instead of just the new album. So unless they're willing to abbreviate their show to a large degree and rehearse a bunch of old material, I really question whether they'll do the European festival circuit this time around.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Alan99

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
Yeah i understand what you are saying, but they spend so much time like the last tour some of the one before it in Argentina, Brazil, ETC, then off to Japan, and everywhere else and we wait here last tour and never had a date nowhere near Atlanta Charlotte, ETC ..Not saying they shouldnt play festivals in other countries, because they have many fans all over, we would just love to see them again, atleast once more, i mean we get everyone else and thats great, took awhile to get Iron Maiden a few years back, but did we just are big fans of DT and love their music and want a show somewhere

Offline Alan99

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks for noticing my comma and Question mark Prog snob, Makes my day they someone takes that kind of time to read my posts, Geez lucky me! I come here for an answer and i get Futile remarks and about that and who is Kings by the way?, I know i have a good proofreader on my posts that i did from a phone in the sunlight, just to ask a simple question :lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:57:20 PM by Alan99 »

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »

That said, the band and management are well aware of the dearth of Evening With tour dates in the south. Whether that will be addressed during this tour cycle remains to be seen, but the best that can be suggested to those who are understandably disappointed with the current tour dates is just to be patient. Easier said than done, yes, but that's all that can reasonably done at this time.

Apologies if this is misconstruing your post, but are you saying you have solid word both the band and management are aware of how they've neglected the south for 5 years and are aware there are many fans disappointed by that? If anything, I would feel a lot better if they are at the very least trying to make some S.E. US dates happen. Any effort would be appreciated, and info on that actually happening before I decide to drive up to Maryland from FL would be even better  :lol

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 02:54:44 AM »
Scotty, if they are well aware of the dearth of shows in the South, why don't they say something to us in the South instead of the continued silence? A word or two goes a long way. I know you mentioned that it's unlikely a festival tour is in the offing for Europe, but that being said, It's all well and good to play to large audiences at festival shows to lure new fans, but at what expense? Losing their fans in the South to indifference? The best way to lose fans is to not play for them. In the mean time, Joe Satriani is coming. There is a guitar gods show with Steve Vai and Nicko McBrain in North Miami Beach in February, and Iron Maiden is coming. The Winery Dogs, while not necessarily prog (but draw from that crowd) , came through a couple of months ago. The promoter issue is out the window as these bands prove there is an audience for prog.  Florida has NEVER had an Evening with...show. Isn't it time that changes? They could hit the South on their way to South America. They could start a tour here or end a tour here. Considering that we were skipped on the last tour, they should have started this new tour in Puerto Rico or Miami instead of the usual Northeast. The bottom line is THEY need to say something to us here in the South. We are tired of being passed over. If you interview them again, please say something on our behalf, will ya. To all of those that are getting a chance to see them, enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:39:06 AM by bluehaze »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »
if they are well aware of the dearth of shows in the South, why don't they say something to us in the South instead of the continued silence? A word or two goes a long way. 

I can feel your frustration, man.

While they all make a pretty decent living, I believe they are touring on fairly small margins. Still, I firmly believe that if JP or Frank Soloman said to the booking agent to "make it happen" for the south, there should be a way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
As for whether they'd play festivals in Europe this summer, hard to say. On the one hand, it always makes sense since it allows them the opportunity to play to large crowds that largely are not their fanbase, in the hopes of extending that fanbase. But with this tour being all about the new album, and presenting it in full, maybe not. Typically the festival shows don't allow for a long setlist, and I'd imagine that the band would be expected to play some of their older material, instead of just the new album. So unless they're willing to abbreviate their show to a large degree and rehearse a bunch of old material, I really question whether they'll do the European festival circuit this time around.

Well they already are touring Europe first for the album, so going back for the festivals and playing a typical DT set seems possible.  I can't see them touring the US this summer, too close to the tour they are about to do.  I guess that means S.A. or Asia as possibilities too.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »
To begin with, for anyone to expect some dates in the south on this run of shows is quite frankly expecting a bit much. I say this based on precedents that the band has already established on previous tours. The band spends no more than 5 weeks on the road usually, and with the first date in Quebec and the final date in Seattle, with only a handful of dates that weren't filled in, there's no way any shows in the south realistically could be added. And in terms of cost, it wouldn't make sense for the band to add a week's worth of shows before or after the current dates since there'd be a major cost involved in transporting everything as well as allowing a couple days to get everything there.

Wouldn't it be possible for them to do some of the European festivals, but not play The Astonishing in full? I know that JP has said the current announced tours are about the new album and the new album only, but I wasn't sure if JP meant the the entire tour cycle for this album by that statement.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
Scotty, I've known you since The Purple Place days and I'm fully aware that the band/timing/profit margin are all things to consider here.

That said though, I have to agree with bluehaze - I don't want it to be a long stretch during tours for them to hit Austin like it was between Waking Up the World and World Tourbulence. That was 8 years. We're almost to the halfway mark here in Austin--last show was the 20th anniversary of I&W, and that was in July. Also, with my job and the work that I do, I can't arbitrarily travel during tax filing season - it's just not going to happen.

It's reminiscent of the days where it seemed like Texas was being passed up on purpose. My closest options are Mesa or Colorado and I'm sorry but that is just not acceptable to me.

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
I think many of us get that it costs money, but we are willing to pay high prices for tickets and pay the cost to travel a little bit to see DT. They could at least come to Atlanta, which would cover pretty much 99% of the South East. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to sell a show out.

It seems like they might be choosing to snub certain places knowing that in turn they will sell more tour DVDs.