Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79481 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I await my 2-.

I'm regretting my submission. Please tell me I'm wrong. :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
(splent) Earth - Like Gold and Faceted

Transcendental. 5/5

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
let go, let go, let go, now it's time we fell

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
(splent) Earth - Like Gold and Faceted

Transcendental. 5/5

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 6 RESULTS!!!
« Reply #634 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
After a disappointing round, now we're back with a more regular one  :P

(Parama) East of the Wall - The Apologist
Well I can see why you love this track and band. It's pretty atmospheric stuff, like a combination of post-rock and sludge metal I guess. Great production too, I'm glad I can hear the bass most of the time. But I don't love it, nor hate it. My main problem is the vocalist, how he sings really aggressive on moments that are rather calm, and imo it doesn't really fit the mood. I don't mind harsh vocals (except maybe shrieks), but I kinda wished he used his clean voice not only in the background as harmonies. And the second thing that doesn't convince me here are the instrumental sections. The drums are doing a great job, but the guitars are just playing some generic post-rock stuff. Nothing remarkable, sorry. 3/5

(Tyrias) Azedia - Requiem for the New World
In general this song has some great, great instrumentation (specially the strings), and nicely placed electronic elements. It's pretty epic overall, even if it drags a bit. But the main element of the song is the narration, and unlike lyrics, I can't ignore it because it has no melodic qualities, just words. And the completely turn me off. Look, if it was onely some cheesy spiritual stuff, ok, whatever. But then it starts talking about pseudoscience crap and I can't stand it, really - I have a strong dislike towards anything related with "cosmic energy" and such, because it's pure bullshit imo. Maybe I should have mentioned I'm an engineering student and as a pragmatic, critical person, stuff like this lacks any sense to me.

Anyways, back to the song. Had the "narration" not been a big part of the song, this would have definitely scored way higher. Sorry, bro, but I can't give it more than this score. 3/5

(Biskit) Pearl Jam - Black
Eh... this is ok. The instrumentation is nothing special, except maybe the guitar at times. The singer is ok, and from time to time he delivers some nice melodies. Overall, I think I should like this one more, but it just lacks personality, and that turns me off. I struggle a bit remembering how it sounded like after it finishes. 3/5

(Train of Naught) System of a Down - Aerials
Some pretty cool riffs here, yup. My problem here is Serj Tankian - while there's nothing wrong with his voice, and has some interesting vocal melodies, I feel he basically adds nothing to the track. And the song, as a whole, really goes nowhere imo. +3/5

(mikemangioy) Periphery - 22 Faces
For some reason I never listened to Periphery, seemingly one of the biggest djent acts. So I was curious about their music. And... it's ok. While the instrumentation is
pretty good (great riffs), even if not that original, the vocals are quite generic. I'm not really interested in br00tal music unless it has something unique or different to offer. Not bad, but, honestly, I think I prefer anything by David Maxim Micic or Destiny Potato. Not remarkable. +3/5

(425) TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN - A Lifetime of Adventure
This is pretty nice, and even a bit cheesy. In a sense it reminds me of Disney movies :lol . Overall it's a good song, and with quite an epic vibe. The biggest dud here is the guitar solo - the fuck with that tone? Too low, and makes a nice solo really unmemorable imo. +3/5

(sneakyblueberry) vulfpeck - back pocket
Chill yet groovy, nice. Maybe with a few more listens it will grow more on me, since I only gave it like 3-4 spins. Don't have much to say, here, I feel I don't have a strong opinion formed on it so for now I'll just score it like this. 3.5/5

(splent) Enya - Lazy Days
Dunno if I have said it before, but I have a weak spot for innocent, beautiful music as long as it's not cheesy. This track has gorgeous vocal harmonies and an excellent chorus. But, like half of the song is a chorus - this song lasts less than 4 mins, and the chorus is repeated 3 times, and is extended through the end when it fades away. Had this tune had more development/different sections, it would have certainly scored higher. Maybe it makes more sense int eh album context? 3.5/5

(Evermind) Amethystium - Autumn Interlude
Well this is a pretty interesting electronic track. You know I'm a sucker for beautiful, atmospheric music, and this is pretty much that. While the vocals are gorgeous, the electronic sounds and the piano feel a bit generic, like done with some cheap presets, and that kinda turns me a bit off, for it feels quite amateur-ish. Still, a pretty nice song. +3.5/5

(Senecadawg2) Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
This reminded me a bit of Neutral Milk Hotel, because of the joyful instrumentation. At first Dylan's voice turned me off, and I've got used to it, but it's still the weakest point of the song for me, apart from the production, but since it was released in 1965, I can't really fault it. Pretty enjoyable track, and I'm looking forwards to getting into this album. 4/5

(Elite) Eisley - Mr. Moon
This is some pretty interesting indie pop I guess? Although it may not sound 100% original, it has some pretty gorgeous moments, and her voice is great. A nice little song I quite liked, but dunno what else to say about it. 4/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts - Bad Dog No Biscuits
This is the kind of, eh, jazz? that I quite like. Reminds me a bit of the Pink Panther theme, but more upbeat. I feel it could easily fit an epic car chase scene or something. And the problem is, while the music here is excellent, I feel there's some context missing. I think I'd love it along with where it's used on Cowboy Bebop. Still, a great track that makes me want to watch the series. 4/5

(Bolsters) The Naked and Famous - We Are Leaving
I've gotta say I love the atmosphere here, a lot - I think it's mainly to the gorgeous synth line on the background. The singer has a nice voice, and there are some interesting vocal harmonies here and there. The drumming and percussion are great. At the middle there's a distorted sound appears and it feels like it will lead to an epic climax or something, but then the song just calms down until it ends, so... huh? :lol The songwriting could be quite better, to be honest. Other than that, it's a song full of wonderful sounds. 4/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
For some reason I have a weak spot for cabaret-like music, and songs on this vein are definitely my favorite on most kids movies when they appear. This has a very retro appeal, and while it may not be the most creative song songwriting-wise, it's pretty fun and I dig it a lot. +4/5

(home) Queen - Innuendo
I have always enjoyed Queen, but never felt compelled to dive into their albums. But I saw Innuendo was one of their most praised albums, so added it to the list, mostly our of curiosity. I've gotta say, I'm fucking impressed. The melodies and atmosphere at the beginning and through most of the song are haunting. Freddy's voice really add to it. If there's a weak part of this track, is the chorus - oh, it's good, but the rest of the first half of the tune is vastly superior imo. It really surprised me how then a flamenco section appears, and I love it. Then some excellent vocal harmonies. The guitar tone is a bit weird, but it does an excellent work. All in all, I'm surprised. 4.5/5

Standings
24.5 - Fluffy Lothario xxxxx
+24 - Elite xxxxx
24 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xxxxx
+23 - Parama xxxxx
+23 - Bolsters xxxx
(23 - Symphony)
+22.5 - Biskit xxxxx
+22.5 - home xxxx
22.5 - Evermind xxxxx
22 - splent xxxx
+21.5 - senecadawg2 xxxx
+21.5 - Tyrias xxxxx
21.5 - 425 xxxxx
+21 - Train of Naught xxxx
20 - Sneakyblueberry xxxx
18.5 - mikemangioy xxxx
With a very consistent output, looks like Fluffy, Elite and our dear Ninja will pretty much stay in the lead, while Bolsters, Parama, the Biscuit and Home could any claim a place in the top 5 as well. Even Evermind and splent could have a chance too, if they play well and the others fuck up a bit. For the rest, I hope you still send me good stuff even if there are small chances for you. With 4 rounds left, things could shake up a bit.

And the magic words are: 48 and public shaming hours.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:40:37 PM by Sacul »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Nice!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i disagree with your opinions  :P
i love that there are growls in quiet sections tbh, it just shows that the growls aren't there just to be lolsoheavy, they actually serve a purpose

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
i love that there are growls in quiet sections tbh, it just shows that the growls aren't there just to be lolsoheavy, they actually serve a purpose

I agree with your disagreement.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
I'll take it.

Enya's music is very beautiful, but she does repeat choruses a lot. Granted, her formula works, and she overdubs herself literally hundreds of times.

I'll send in a bit.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Well that's a relief. I'd convinced myself that I was going to get a crappy score and that I should have sent a different song from the album.

I'll send something later.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well that's a relief. I'd convinced myself that I was going to get a crappy score and that I should have sent a different song from the album.
Why did you think that? Just curious  :P

Well the album is on the list so I'll get to it eventually and maybe that style will click with me, but for now, it feels very awkward.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Why did you think that? Just curious  :P
Well I do like the song of course, I'd never send anything in a roulette that I don't...but I like all the songs on this particular album, and We Are Leaving is one of the lower-ranked tracks for me. I chose it because it's a little more unusual, and I therefore thought it might appeal to you more because of that. But after I sent it I wondered if going with one of my least favourite tracks was a good idea or not, and whether the strategy of trying to send things that appeal to you more was a something I was even capable of. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
The huge riff that comes in near the end of Aerials is one of the greatest moments in music, ever. Also, glad you liked my song.

Also sent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The OP has been updated with playlists of the roulettes, and the new banned bands/artists have been added to the second post.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Innuendo is absolute class.  I'm not really a fan of Queen but there's no denying how sweet that song is.  Proggy af.  Reminds me of Fly On A Windscreen by Genesis a lil bit.

Offline Tyrias

Well, it's not like I don't understand your criticism, I don’t like the content of the narration myself. It just doesn't distract from the amazing music from me. And I mean, it's not that big of a part of the song. He's talking for one fourth of the song at maximum.

I still think you'd like the band though, that's their only song that has this kind of "pseudoscientific" content. Theoretically, could I send another song by them a bit later in the roulette?
Also, what do you think about the topics of the narration in Anathema's Hindsight or Internal Landscapes? I have a song that has some very brief narration in this vein, but it’s also pretty risky musically, so I'm not sure if I'll even send it (not that I have much to lose at this point :lol)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Black is one of the best songs on this earth.

I had ruled out sending Dylan, figured he'd be a quick way to get a 2/5. Boy was I wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah, I would not have imagined he would score it that high, but then again I am at the bottom of the shit heap let it rain down on me

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
This has got to be the most frustrating roulette ever :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well fuck. Just when I thought I have a chance at getting into the Top 5. :lol

Will send later today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Sent some glitchy folky orchestral stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Pretty much this.  I just don't get how you can criticise Aerials for 'going nowhere' yet give Like A Rolling Stone a 4 even tho its like, fucking, A section/B Section right til the end with four verses that have the exact same diction.  :justjen

let it rain down on me

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yep. Eapecially decided not to go with Deer Dance because he likes songs that actually build up into something epic near the end. I though Aerials would do okay in that regard but nope, would you have prefered the song instrumentally?  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I could never get into Bob Dylan. Scorn me all you want, but I think he has made some of the most boring music ever.

Also, how the hell did I miss Innuendo on that list?

^ me in every other roulette I play in :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I could never get into Bob Dylan. Scorn me all you want, but I think he has made some of the most boring music ever.

Fair enough.  The music is generally pretty samey with Dylan - the beauty of the lyric is where it's at.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Honestly though, he's one of my three favourite artists ever, but I can see why some people don't care for him.

I had been considering sending SOAD in one of the later rounds. I had IEAIAIO or Toxicity in mind. Aerials is a classic though.

Song sent.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I wanted to send I-E-A-I-A-I-O first but I needed to work on my list-songs and only Toxicity was on the list.

Toxicity could've been good and I prefer most of it over Aerials, though Aerials has that nice buildup and amazing last chorus, I didn't think Toxicity would hold up to it in a roulette like this, but apparently it might just have.

Sent some lettuce.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent another of my 3/5 songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Pretty much this.  I just don't get how you can criticise Aerials for 'going nowhere' yet give Like A Rolling Stone a 4 even tho its like, fucking, A section/B Section right til the end with four verses that have the exact same diction.  :justjen

let it rain down on me
I kinda preferred Like A Rolling Stone for the lovely instrumentation, but honestly, I don't see myself giving it a higher score than that in future relistens. And I don't really connect with Aerials - actually, I mentioned to our mistery player about that song, since he's a big fan of SOAD. He didn't think I'd end up liking it much, but because the band might not be my cup of tea. Seems he was right :P

Black is one of the best songs on this earth.

I had ruled out sending Dylan, figured he'd be a quick way to get a 2/5. Boy was I wrong.
I wished I could like Black more than I do. And the only way to get something lower than a 2.5 here would be to send some harsh noise, or a 15-min drone with Shoegaze influences and 80s production :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I am glad you liked Innuendo, it's a shame they don't have a lot of other songs in this style. And wow I just noticed a certain composer that's on your list who I was going to send a song from anyway :azn: I'll have to re-listen the album before being able to pick a song though.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
You mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vz-2nVlD1E
Now that's unnecessarily loud and distorted - I like me noisy music, but I don't think I could stand a whole album like that. My maximum tolerance of noise is that Angelic Process record, which I'm loving because of how emotional it is.

Offline Tyrias

I still think you'd like the band though, that's their only song that has this kind of "pseudoscientific" content. Theoretically, could I send another song by them a bit later in the roulette?
Also, what do you think about the topics of the narration in Anathema's Hindsight or Internal Landscapes? I have a song that has some very brief narration in this vein, but it’s also pretty risky musically, so I'm not sure if I'll even send it (not that I have much to lose at this point :lol)
It would be really nice if you answered that question :blush

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
It would be really nice if you answered that question :blush
Oops, sorry :lol

I think the one on Hindsight is pretty cheesy, but I don't mind it. The narration on Internal Landscapes is intriguing, for what the man describes about his near-death experience I find interesting. So both are spiritual in a non-pseudocientific way, so I don't mind them.

Offline Tyrias

Ok. I still think the narration is more esoteric than pseudo-scientific, but I get where you're coming from. Deciding between a dubstep song and a neo-psychedelia one for next round. But you'll get both anyways.