Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79629 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, I'll be damned, sent again! (twice within 8 hours, this must be a record for me!)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Now two more before public shaming round 4 officially starts  :tup

Offline Tyrias

Now two more before public shaming round 4 officially starts  :tup

One more, you meant.

Just sent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
One more entry missing. Two hours before public shaming  :police:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - SEND FOR R4, ELITE JR!!!
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »
Sorry m8, 2 l8.

Offline 425

Damn, I almost got it in under the wire.

Sent something you won't like.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - SEND FOR R4, ELITE JR!!!
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »
Expect tidbits tomorrow, and results this Thursday evening  :hat

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 4 LISTENING!!!
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
I really like the production of this song, and her voice is goddamn sexy.

Damn, what a fantastic singer.

I've gotta say, this chorus is fantastic. The energy and emotion of the vocals… yes.

I wanna marry her voice.

Great guitar sound, but the song doesn't do much for me, really.

This is pretty nice and well written, yup I dig this, specially [female singer]'s vocals.

A pretty interesting song, quite heavy, but well written at the same time.

Although it goes many places, I found all of them uninteresting.

So I was worried about this song. But it actually has some great melodies, and a very melancholic vibe that I dig.

Pretty fun.

Well this is a pretty interesting piece that mixes many styles very well.

So this is how whalecore sounds. Nice.

Oh shit this is epic as fuck.

This is one of the best songs I've listened to in a long, long time.

But from there it just gets better and better. Specially the heavier parts, when the singer reaches the climax, leading to a nice guitar solo.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Mostly positive?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
like 5 of those could be mine.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
well, i wanna marry her voice is hopefully about Lorde  :lol

any of 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 14 are possible but some of those are so vague that i'm gonna say it's one of the ones about a female singer's voice

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
I found mine pretty easily  :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
well, i wanna marry her voice is hopefully about Lorde  :lol

any of 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 14 are possible but some of those are so vague that i'm gonna say it's one of the ones about a female singer's voice

Amen to that, but I've been wrong every time so far :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I found mine pretty easily  :rollin
FLYING WHAAAALES  :metal

A lot could be mine, but I'm going to guess it's the one you were worried about but has nice melodies and a melancholicvibe. Ofcourse it could be one regarding the singer, though most of those are about females.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine is either any of those about the female voice or the one about melancholic melodies.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'm not even going to bother. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plot Twist: expect results tomorrow evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
plot twist: i'm going to be on a plane tomorrow evening rip

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Dang that was pretty damn soon.

Gotta say for a roulette with 15 participants your roulette runs fucking smooth. Ofcourse you're doing great but I'm also pretty amazed at how well the 'public shaming if doesn't send on time' tactic works.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't have any chance to win here so I'd say the faster it goes the better.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Gotta say for a roulette with 15 participants your roulette runs fucking smooth. Ofcourse you're doing great but I'm also pretty amazed at how well the 'public shaming if doesn't send on time' tactic works.
Thanks - I try listening to the songs when I'm brushing my teeth or having lunch/dinner/tea/whenever it's possible. And the public shaming tactic worked well on my previous roulette, and it's pretty fun so had to do it again this time :P

Also, did rough scores, and congrats to whoever gets a +4.5, and sorry for the only 2.5 whoever gets it :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Also, congrats to whoever gets a +4.5

Squ

Offline Fluffy Lothario

While I don't realistically see the song I sent being a 4.5, assuming that
Although it goes many places, I found all of them uninteresting.
this is the 2.5, that doesn't sound like what I sent.

So I would hope I'm somewhere in the middle.

Also, one of the best songs you've heard in a long time is a 4.5? What's a 5 then, Antony Fantano?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
a 4.5+ is more like a 4.75 without actually being a 4.75

that's a pretty high score

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
What Parama said - in a out of ten scale, it'd be 9.5. And I prefer to reserve the perfect score for songs that either blow me away completely, or just to my all-time favorite songs.

A 5 is any of the following, Fluffythony Lothariano:

Porcupine Tree - Trains
Anathema - Untouchable & The Lost Child
Devin Townsend - any song on Addicted
Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (it has grown a fucking lot since my first roulette)
Ulver - EOS
Portishead - Glory Box
Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella and april #19
Brand New - Limousine
David Maxim Micic - Where is Now?

And a few more I'm missing :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
No Love Song? Geez.

Ever since my roulette I've been starting to wonder which of my songs would be a 10 in my book, and after looking into it, I probably would only have given a single 10/10, instead of the 4 I gave (excluding the 3 in the final round). Arc of Space, legendary song. Also less 9.5/9.0's, but it's easier to say that after the fact. Maybe it would've been easier with scores out of 5.

Offline Tyrias

What Parama said - in a out of ten scale, it'd be 9.5. And I prefer to reserve the perfect score for songs that either blow me away completely, or just to my all-time favorite songs.

A 5 is any of the following, Fluffythony Lothariano:

Porcupine Tree - Trains
Anathema - Untouchable & The Lost Child
Devin Townsend - any song on Addicted
Susanne Sundfør - White Foxes (it has grown a fucking lot since my first roulette)
Ulver - EOS
Portishead - Glory Box
Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella and april #19
Brand New - Limousine
David Maxim Micic - Where is Now?

And a few more I'm missing :P

You know, it's nice that 2 out of those songs are songs I sent you during your last roulette (White Foxes and Limousine). Now if only you had realized how much you loved them back then, I might have actually won :lol.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, but I didn't realise that about White Foxes until a month or so ago - I believe time is a very important factor when it comes to music, for I've found that my fav records are those that I can come back to after a year or more, and they still feel fresh, and I still love them. Maybe some of this roulette's songs become among my favorites as well.

Now that'd be interesting, making a top 50 with songs instead of albums :P

And Love Song is a +4.5, ToN ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
hmm what are 10/10 songs for me
Brand New - Limousine
Casualties of Cool - Moon
Coheed and Cambria - The Light and the Glass
Devin Townsend - Funeral & The Death of Music
Dream Theater - everything I put in my top 5 DT songs way back when
Mew - Comforting Sounds
Oceansize - Long Forgotten & The Frame
Pain of Salvation - Idioglossia & Undertow
Porcupine Tree - Trains
This Will Destroy You - Villa Del Refugio

i'm either being too selective or not selective enough, but these are all absolutely fantastic songs that i've never gotten tired of listening to

Offline 425

I honestly have no idea what a 10/10 is for me. I'm such a Paula that I would probably give it to a bunch of things. :lol Or else it would be just a few artists but like 5-10 songs from some artists. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Yeah, I think I'm a bit more lenient about what I would consider 10/10, though within that ranking, I guess there would be two tiers. Songs that I can't fault, and songs that I can't fault that hold greater meaning for me.

A Top 50 of songs would be fun. I did keep a fav songs list years ago, dunno if I still have it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I finally got my computer back, expect results within 3 hours of this post. In the meantime, I'll update the list and edit the previous results post.

HYPE.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 4 RESULTS SOON! HYPE!!!
« Reply #452 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »
 :mehlin
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 4 RESULTS SOON! HYPE!!!
« Reply #453 on: February 03, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
Empty promises as usual. This roulette is taking fucking forever dude. ::)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 4 RESULTS!!! SEND FOR R5!!!
« Reply #454 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:55 PM »
This round has the highest high of the roulette so far, but also the lowest scores, heh. Have fun.

(mikemangioy) Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
 Well this is heavy as fuck. So this is how whalecore sounds. Nice. You know… I feel this is heavy for heaviness' sake, for I find little interesting music here, only BLAST BEATS, BLAST BEATS, HARSH VOCALS, HEAVY RIFFING, MORE BLAST BEATS. WHAAAAAALEEEE. Meh. 2.5/5

(sneakyblueberry) Kayo Dot - Zlida Caosgi
I added Hubardo to the list because a friend of mine showed me a song that I can't recall its name now, but was pretty atmospheric and chill. So when I told him (he's a huge Toby Driver fan) that somebody sent me this track from this album, he was like "dude, that's the most chaotic tune on the record". Well he was right, this song is just mindfuck, and pure chaos. Although it goes many places, I found all of them uninteresting. Nothing actually bad on this track, but nothing remarkable, or that connects with me, really - this style ain't my cuppa tea. +2.5/5

(home) Karnivool - We Are
 Great guitar sound, but the song doesn't do much for me, really - it's just ok. Don't know why exactly, but it felt a bit shallow in terms of songwriting, I guess. 3/5

(senecadawg2) Emilie Autumn - I Swallow
 Well this is a pretty interesting piece that mixes many styles very well. My problem is… that it repeats itself too much. Like, there's little flow from the chorus to the rest of the music and vice versa. And the chorus is repeated like 4 times in 6 mins and every time is identical. She has a nice voice, and sings pretty catchy melodies, but I wished there was more focus on the instrumentation, really. Specially on that sweet violin. +3/5

(425) Metallica - One (Live with the SFSO)
Well, I don't really dig the neoclassical vibes at the beginning. I love some neoclassical, but I don't like how its done here. But from there it just gets better and better. Specially the heavier parts, when the singer reaches the climax, leading to just a nice guitar solo - I guess I'm not blown away by solos anymore. With one half of the song that it's ok at best, and other that it pretty good, I can't rate this higher. +3/5

(Evermind) The Gentle Storm - New Horizons
 I've always preferred folky Arjen to metal Arjen, and this song reflects the former style. This is pretty nice and well written, I love the acoustic instrumentation here, and Anneke's vocals. As usual, the production is top-notch. This is a nice little ballad, yet I feel I should like it more. Maybe a little bit cheesy? 4/5

(Train of Naught) Slash feat. Miles Kennedy & The Conspirators - Beneath the Savage Sun
 This is by far the guitar work I've heard of Slash, pretty dark and heavy. Miles' vocals are excellent here, he does a great job. A pretty interesting song, quite heavy, but well written at the same time. And although I don't really pay much attention to solos nowadays, that's a pretty good one. I guess this case is similar to Alter Bridge to me - although Blackbird has 1 or 2 highlights, and most songs on their own aren't fantastic, as a whole it forms a very consistent album. I hope this is also the case here. 4/5

(Tyrias) Thrice - Red Sky
 I normally step way from anything labeled "post-hardcore" and such, for it's a genre I don't really like melodic-wise. So I was worried about this song. But it actually has some great melodies, and a very melancholic vibe that I dig. It's better written than I had expected, and I quite enjoyed it. 4/5

(splent) Snarky Puppy - Something
 I remember some of my friends used to play this band on plug.dj sessions, and I like the joy of these musicians playing together, how they understood each other, and the great time they were having. So I added one of their albums, but you sent me something from other record, interesting :P

Well this is pretty nice, and confirms me that these folks make some tasty music together. But the centrepiece of the record is the great singer, who, as you mentioned, starts doing some insane things later in the songs. I always have had the feeling jazz would be something I could not get into, but I quite like this, and will happily check some of Snarky's albums. 4/5

(Bolsters) Lorde - Glory And Gore
I really like the production and sounds of this song, and her voice is goddamn sexy. Pretty interesting, and catchy song. Don't have much to say about this one, other than I enjoyed both Lorde songs a lot. And the other one a bit more. 4/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Shamrain - To Leave
This is a very interesting piece, and reminds me a lot to Opeth's Damnation for its use of acoustic instrumentation and mellotrons. I've gotta say, this chorus is fantastic. The energy and emotion of the vocals… yes. Quite a sad, yet nice piece. A bit short, and kind of ends abruptly tho. +4/5

(Parama) Lorde - Buzzcut Season
This is a very interesting piece of pop. I love the little piano playing in the background, and the subtle beats - excellent production. Althoough at first it sounded strange I wanna marry her voice. +4/5

(Elite) Anna Von Hausswolff - Discovery
Oh shit this is epic as fuck. The beginning sounds like Inception and then creates some surreal soundscapes that I quite dig, specially using a FUCKING CHURCH PIPE ORGAN YES. Then it goes quiet... Just to build up again. This time with her haunting voice, and some epic backing vocals. Damn, this is epic and feels way shorter than it is. 4.5/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Soundgarden - Superunknown
Damn, what a fantastic singer. Like, he actually is the centrepiece of the song, and oh shit he elevates everything a fucking lot. Like, if this had a different guy or just different melodies, it would have just been ok. Instead, I find a vocalist that not only has a great sense of rhythm but a great melodic mind. Although at first I thought the guitar work was just ok, I've grown to appreciate it a lot, even the little solo. And I thought Nirvana was a representation of grunge, heh - this is better than anything on Nevermind. Excellent track. 4.5/5

(FlyingBIZKIT) Glen Hansard - Bird of Sorrow
Holy. Shit. This is one of the best songs I've listened to in a long, long time. The first half is some pretty nice singer/songwriter stuff. But the climax… holy fucking shit, YES. IIII'M NOT LEAAAAAVIIIIIINNG. And HAAAAAAAANGING OOOONNN, give me fucking chills every fucking time, and almost makes me tear up. Knowing about the story behind the lyrics… it's just crushing. I can definitely see why this song gets high scores in virtually every survivor. Sorry seneca, but the biscuit won you this time. +4.5/5

Standings
17 - Fluffy Lothario xxxx
+16.5 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xxx
16.5 - Elite xxx
16 - Parama xxxx
+15.5 - Bolsters xxxx
+15.5 - Biskit xxx
15.5 - splent xxx
15.5 - Tyrias xxxx
+15 - home xx
+14.5 - Evermind xxxx
+14.5 - Train of Naught xx
14.5 - senecadawg2 xx
+14 - 425 xxxx
+13 - Sneakyblueberry xxx
12 - mikemangioy xxx

(x= one song sent from the list)
Mr Fluffy is on a roll, and has just barely surpassed Shadow Ninja (who is doing better than expected!?). Former roulette leader home has been on a downward spiral these last two rounds, and lands in the middle. Could he return to the top 5? With just one dud and a consistent output overall, Elite and Parama have a firm spot right there, but shouldn't relax yet. In the meantime, both Bolsters and the Biscuit are having a tough DEATH MATCH DUEL WITH LIGHTSABERS AND UNICORNS to determine who gets in the big finals. Most of the other players have a chance to scaling up if they play well, except mikemangioy, who still hasn't sent me Adrenaline Mob  :angry:

You know this is is just my opinion, right? So what did you think of this round? Love it? Hate it? Why? What other songs should I score next? Please leave me your response in PMs (within 48 hs). Saculthony Roulettetano, Round 4... forever. Tran-
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:55:06 PM by Sacul »