Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79505 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Sent some cheaty stuff.

Also
Pendulum - Immersion
Fuck yea, the gods of music want me to win this roulette

Ooh I just saw you're going to update songs you'll like better. The chances of getting a + on Astronomy or Sly Fox are near to naught, but I still like to think Loose Change could become a 4/5
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:16:30 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
(sneakyblueberry) Frank Ocean - Pyramids
The first thing that popped in my mind is that this reminds me of those lame Drake songs, and a lot of modern, mainstream music. I think it's safe to say they got inspiration from this guy. This style is very interesting, and after like 6 listens I could finally shake all those lame songs' feelings - this is better written. For being such a long tune, this actually flows very well, and feels shorter. Pretty creative tune - please, keep sending stuff from outside my comfort zone. 4/5

Glad you enjoyed it.  I remember having the same first impression of this album when I first heard it, but after listening to it a few times it's clear to see that this album is much more than that.  If Drake could write and sing half as well as Frank O then I would be a big Drake fan.  But he can't.  So I'm not.

Channel Orange is pretty much the album that pioneered that 'modern, mainstream' - much like The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill in the 90s, this is the the album that has spawned countless imitators in the 2010s.  None of them come close to this album.  I would rate it up there with MBDTF as one of the landmark hip-hop/rnb albums of all time, it has a similar vibe for me, but obviously with less rap and more emphasis on melody and great hooks.  It manages to be as amazing as MBDTF with half the effort, half the instrumentation and half the collaborators. 

Anyways, sent some prog metal. lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is one neat album.

Maybe I should check out this Frank Ocean business.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is one neat album.

Maybe I should check out this Frank Ocean business.

I really like it, it would make my top 20, maybe top 10.  For sure.  Miseducation is great but I can't stomach much of it anymore.  I have this really weird memory in my head this girl I knew singing along to Doo Wop (That Thing) and recording it and thinking she was so awesome (she wasn't) and she's one of the most annoying, self centered people I know, so now that I associate that album with her I can't listen to it.  I have the same problem with another douchey guy I know who goes on and on about Foo Fighters.  I USED to like Foo Fighters.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
I seem to suck more and more in roulettes  :lol :lol

I will send soon of course
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
(splent) OutKast - B.O.B.
What turns me off from most hip-hop albums, and has slowed down my exploration of it is the huge amount of CRAPPY covers. This one, eh... it's alright.
This tune has some great beats and rapping, and it's more varied than I'd have imagined, with that choir and the guitar bits. I dig it. 4/5

I'm glad you liked it. I was worried for a while. That entire album is awesome. I'm a little mad that I forgot about another song you'd probably like called "humble mumble" Which has some more electronic elements in it.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
(splent) OutKast - B.O.B.
What turns me off from most hip-hop albums, and has slowed down my exploration of it is the huge amount of CRAPPY covers. This one, eh... it's alright.
This tune has some great beats and rapping, and it's more varied than I'd have imagined, with that choir and the guitar bits. I dig it. 4/5

I'm glad you liked it. I was worried for a while. That entire album is awesome. I'm a little mad that I forgot about another song you'd probably like called "humble mumble" Which has some more electronic elements in it.

Great song, and great album.

Sacul, are you implying that it's a cover song?  Your comments are confusing. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I think he's talking about the albumcovers
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
yeah I considered that, but that doesn't make any more sense.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Well he did say somewhere that sometimes when he sees a cool album cover he just puts it on his list to check out  :lol still makes little to no sense, but that's apparently the Sacul-thoughtprocess.

Offline senecadawg2

I don't really understand your tastes, Sacul. I thought we were more compatible, but it seems I was wrong(?)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
I'm going to send a live song because I can now. The live version of the song I'll sent has so much more groove than the studio version  :hat (Though it would perhaps be smarter to send a song from your list I think)

(home) The Beatles - A Day In The Life
Honestly, I have never given The Beatles a fair chance. And this is better than expected. But... it's pretty weird, honestly. There's a pretty dark section before the middle, that repeats again near the end of the song. It's not bad on itself, but feels really awkward on the song context. Well, at least I can see why this album was groundbreaking at the time. And the outro... no. Just no. A weird loop repeating for 30s, why? 3.5/5

I'd never given the Beatles a fair chance (until a few months ago) too! Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heartsclub Band is one of my favourite albums now  I never considered that loop to be really part of the song actually (but it was on the youtube link I sent I know) The first few times I listened to Sgt Pepper I turned the album off before the loop started because I thought the album was finsihed :lol Was quite suprised when I heard a few listens lately, I see it more as a funny gimmick or something now.

In the meantime, home and Bolsters, who shined on the first 2 rounds have slipped a bit on this one, but still have strong chances to win if they know what to send.
Well I had more confidence in Snowman than either of my previous submissions, so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm just sending songs I really like, so I wouldn't count on it either  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Well he did say somewhere that sometimes when he sees a cool album cover he just puts it on his list to check out  :lol still makes little to no sense, but that's apparently the Sacul-thoughtprocess.
I believe albums with awful covers either reflect bad taste, or the artist not caring about that. So how can I know if it cared aboutthe music? IIt's part of the whole experience imo. Not that a nice cover would improve my perception of the music, but it triggers me how some don't even care about it.

And let's admit that like half of hip-hop album covers are guys with loads of money, cars, and whores, or just a bunch of them being 'thug' and Iooking tough :lol

I don't really understand your tastes, Sacul. I thought we were more compatible, but it seems I was wrong(?)
You know, even after dedicating tons of thought hours to it, and even writing a 5-page essay on my tastes, I realise they make little sense, for I have failed to find something that ties them all. Whenever I find something, appears this thing that contradicts it, and it all becomes pointless. If it helps, Steven Wilson, my favorite artist at the moment, represents everything I like in music. He never repeats himself (or at least tries, unlike AC/DC :P), has a very unique style of his own, sings short, simple, but catchy vocal melodies, his music mixes lots of different, eclectic influences, etc. But I also fucking love Anathema, who make some of the most emotional music I know. So, yeah. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Your two favorite artists seem to make quite soft music, screw it, my round 5 song is going to be a full-blown metal tune anyways.

Also you're online and I haven't received a PM, has my submission actually been accepted?  ???

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, by I also love some heavy stuff like Six Degrees, or Addicted, or Jane Doe or RATM, so... :P

Yes, submission accepted. Oh, btw guys: someone has sent me what might be the best song of the roulette so far.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Sorry guys, it was me.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Sorry guys, it was me.
Thanks but you really don't have to take the blame for me

:D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline senecadawg2

I won't get my hopes up.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
definitely not me

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
It's me guys give up

Offline 425

I know it wasn't me because I haven't sent yet.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't forget to send soon, Elite Jr.

Offline 425

If I send you a live version of a song from a list album that has a substantively different arrangement than the album version, does that count as a list submission or not? Not sure I'm going to do this, but I'd like to know if it's an option.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
If it's in the way Hollow Years was rearranged, then yes. If it feels like a different songs, then nope.

Offline 425

Okay, good to know.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Fluffy Lothario

You know, even after dedicating tons of thought hours to it, and even writing a 5-page essay on my tastes, I realise they make little sense, for I have failed to find something that ties them all. Whenever I find something, appears this thing that contradicts it, and it all becomes pointless. If it helps, Steven Wilson, my favorite artist at the moment, represents everything I like in music. He never repeats himself (or at least tries, unlike AC/DC :P), has a very unique style of his own, sings short, simple, but catchy vocal melodies, his music mixes lots of different, eclectic influences, etc. But I also fucking love Anathema, who make some of the most emotional music I know. So, yeah. :lol
You're never gonna be able to sum up your taste in music in one sentence, and there's always a chance there will be an exception to any rule.

Based on your Top 50 and the roulette so far, this is your taste in 5 points.

- the 90s seems to be about your cutoff. From there back, the music mostly feels too dated for you to appreciate it much, UNLESS it's one of those rare albums that, by some miracle of its production and/or songwriting, manages to skirt feeling old, like Dark Side of the Moon (and the reason I sent Fun House is it is in that category, to me). You seem pulled in by younger genres - modern electronic and rap only came about in the late 80s/early 90s, and production-wise, they almost have to sound very modern to avoid being shit. Your dislike of high-pitched singers fits here, that style is fairly dated, used by either remnants of the 70s/80s or modern bands looking back on that. Ditto for 80s production.

- You seem to like music that goes beyond the normal and conventional. Regardless of the genre, it has to be doing something that doesn't sound like the "standard" of that genre. I can't imagine you would like the Foo Fighters or grunge (the radio side, at least) very much, or, as you said, ACDC, or Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers or basically any 50s-60s hard bop/postbop/modal jazz, or much of any 80s thrash. I love it when a band can do something standard incredibly well, I mean, the standard is standard because certain bands did it really well, but you seem to be like, "eh, this bores me".

- You seem fairly adverse to sparse arrangements, and music with either sustained passages of quietness, or where the quiet is the point of the song. The folk people have sent, you're like, "this is good, but this is just a guy and a guitar, there ain't enough going on". You mention not caring for ambient music. I was thinking of sending Tangerine Dream, but then realised that would be a disaster. I'd say a mixture of this and the last point is the reason you didn't dig Kind of Blue, and again hard bop/post-bop/modal jazz in general - regardless of the size of the band, there's only ever one guy soloing with a bass/piano/drums framework. The music has to feel sufficiently busy.

- Like a good chunk of DTF, you are drawn to the genres that are generally darker-hued. So metal obviously (though more the late-90s onwards stuff that becomes hard to safely plonk into a specific metal sub-genre, like Devin Townsend and Ulver, stuff that has little sense of the "standard" to it), but then post-rock, electronic, and particularly trip-hop, the whole somber Steven Wilson angle of prog and rock, etc.

- You've said you don't care what the lyrical content is, but at the same time emphasise the plus factor of "feels", so you obviously care more for music that carries an emotional message through the music alone. Something which is really not that common, I don't think. I'd say in most music, the impact is conveyed through a mix of music and lyrics/themes, and the music is written to support the lyrics and their message and vice versa. In terms of vocals, for you, the melodies matter more than the words. This point would also be why, even though you're into prog, you're not interested in the technicality side of it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Damn, you have summed it up very well.  :hefdaddy

Just a few details:

-Ambient music is something that bores me on its more minimalistic side, stuff like Hammock or Ulver's Shadows of the Sun are basically ambient, but as you point out, they aren't 'conventional', and that's one of the reasons I love them. And I recall listening to A Kind of Blue, and liked it, but also felt it was one of those albums I'd appreciate more as background music rather than trying to actively listen to it.

-Production: well, I guess its actually more a matter of songwriting, because, while ITCOTKC doesn't sound great (Wilson's remix is superb tho), it has excellent tunes, and sounds very different from other 60s music I have checked. I've also realised that what I dislike about 80s music is not the production, but the songwriting in general, which I find very weak. One exception is Operation: Mindcrime, as that album sounds 80s as fuck, but has excellent musicianship and, honestly, it'd suck with modern production.

-Lyrics: I guess some songs can't really be appreciated without taking the lyrics into account, and songs like Wilson's The Raven or Routine wouldn't touch me so hard if they had a different lyrical content.

-I guess I'm just a very modern person, for when I listen to older music by, say, The Rolling Stones, I cannot relate to it. The sound, the melodies, even their style, doesn't resonate with me. You know why I love The Dark Side of the Moon? Well, one of many reasons is that it doesn't feel like a product of its time, but rather the product of Pink Floyd's heart.

-Dunno if I have said it on the 5-essay, but I'm a sucker for uniqueness, for albums that sound like no other out there, in which I can identity the musician's style.

-My first experience with music was through piano lessons. I barely listened to music (this was before discovering prog and DT :P ), so I learned some classical songs, and lots of videogames tunes. So I guess my preference for melodic music comes that way, as none of the songs I played was meant to be sung. On a side note: my fav piece I learned was Moonlight Sonata, the first movement. I have forgotten how to play half of it, but I used to play it complete. And every time, it moved me, deeply, almost to the point of tearing up. It's a powerful song that is often played too quiet imo.

-I also appreciate when a group can do "standard" music very well, like Alter Bridge, or that ska song you sent me, because despite having heard lots of lame ska on the radio or TV, that track has an excellent songwriting.

So tl;dr: I like modern music by a nice margin, dislike generic stuff, and prefer something with lots of feels or unconventional. Or both. :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:33:13 PM by Sacul »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
And I've received 11 submissions so far, now the rest has 24 hs to send before public shaming  :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I believe albums with awful covers either reflect bad taste, or the artist not caring about that. So how can I know if it cared aboutthe music? IIt's part of the whole experience imo. Not that a nice cover would improve my perception of the music, but it triggers me how some don't even care about it.

Yeah nah, still makes zero sense.... judging a book by its cover and that.  Not to mention that the album cover for Stankonia is iconic.  Two hip-hop juggernauts standing side by side sans-props, in front of a black american flag with pentagrams on it instead of stars and no logo on it whatsoever? forget about it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
And I've received 11 submissions so far, now the rest has 24 hs to send before public shaming  :tup

Well, you didn't respond to my first PM with a question for a song to send.
If all's okay, I'll send it soon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah nah, still makes zero sense.... judging a book by its cover and that.  Not to mention that the album cover for Stankonia is iconic.  Two hip-hop juggernauts standing side by side sans-props, in front of a black american flag with pentagrams on it instead of stars and no logo on it whatsoever? forget about it.
I never said that album had a bad cover at all, only that I've seen worse :P

Well, you didn't respond to my first PM with a question for a song to send.
If all's okay, I'll send it soon.
Oops, forgot so. Answered.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Sent some french groovy enviromental metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sent some french groovy enviromental metal
Well, that's another one of my potential list-songs gone (atleast I'm pretty sure what it is, and I know you like this album aswell). I just hope you sent a good song of it. Come Hell or High Water was like my least favorite Quiet World song  :lol