Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79489 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I too have an amazing 12 minute song waiting for you. I hope it's not the same song as ToN has. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Hey, there's no round where longer songs will be allowed right? I have an amazing 12 minute song waiting for you.  :corn
hey, go stare at your sig for a few weeks
Sent Priestess :neverusethis:

I too have an amazing 12 minute song waiting for you. I hope it's not the same song as ToN has. :lol
I think we should make an agreement that if it is, let's both send it and hope he will allow us to get the same score. I just found out about this album and this song in particular is a gem. But mine is 12:04 so we can't possibly be talking about the same song
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I will only let 2 people send the same song if it is a coincidence, not a conspiracy :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey guys, two options: I can try posting results from my phone, but they'd be ugly and/or incomplete, and wouldn't include the updated ranking, thing I could fix in a few days when I get my computer back. Or we could all just wait until I get it :P

Please vote on the poll.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG :police:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:52:49 PM by Sacul »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i've got some astonishing to do so i can wait

Offline 425

i've got some astonishing to do so i can wait
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
NOOOOOOOO I WANT THEM NOOOOW

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh, realised I can edit my write-ups through Evernote, and even update the rankings. That means results in two hours from now - they won't have italics nor bolded parts so it will feel a bit weird, but will later fix that with my PC.

GET HYPED

Offline 425

Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 3 RESULTS SOON!
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »
I'm going to have to vote for Kevin Moore. He's not fucking, he's too busy staring at the vest page of that damned catalog.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Results! Pleae mind that they're NOT in order "from worst to best", as that would take me a lot of time on my phone. I've gotta say, I feel this round is, while not stronger than the previous ones, it's the most consistent of them all.

(mikemangioy) Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come
Well this is pretty heavy. But it sounds a bit uninventive to me, honestly. And while that might not be a problem per se (see Alter Bridge), there's nothing too, eh... remarkable on this. I get how many will like this, but I prefer my metal more... unique. Not derivative nor generic, with AB being the exception because their songwriting is top-notch. Come on, nigga, step up your game! I won your roulette, you deserve to do better. 3/5

(Bolsters) Frost* - Snowman
This is a song that, despite having listened to it several times, I can't recall a single thing from it, besides the beginning. I dig the electronic elements tho. It's nice, but nothing too special tbh. +3/5

(Evermind) Primal Fear - Inseminoid
Is this heavy metal or power metal? :P

To be honest, I can't see how me liking (actually, LOVING) Operation: Mindcrime would somehow make me likely to enjoy this - I feel both are pretty different. One has amazing riffs, killer drumming, and catchy vocal melodies. This is some catchy metal, but it doesn't do much for me. The drumming feels like doing the same thing for like 80% of the song, to the point where the drum kick starts to annoy me a bit. It's pretty badass, yes, but, well... this kind of thing it's not for me. Feels like they're trying too hard to be "metal as fuck" or something. Maybe the song's lyrics have something to do :lol

It's kind of generic, honestly. Like, I don't feel these guys have a unique sound, and that's something that turns me off. Nothing bad, but nothing remarkable. +3/5

(Train of Naught) Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy
This is a pretty interesting piece, and dunno why I even included this album on the list. My problem is, the more I go back in time, the less I'm likely to find pieces I relate to. Maybe had I been born in the 70s, I would have loved this song. But it's just something about its particular melodies that doesn't strike me as particularly memorable. Oh, the chorus is pretty good, but the rest, specially considering the synth work... no. Is that kind of work that turns me off from most 70s and classic prog I've listened to. +3/5

(home) The Beatles - A Day In The Life
Honestly, I have never given The Beatles a fair chance. And this is better than expected. But... it's pretty weird, honestly. There's a pretty dark section before the middle, that repeats again near the end of the song. It's not bad on itself, but feels really awkward on the song context. Well, at least I can see why this album was groundbreaking at the time. And the outro... no. Just no. A weird loop repeating for 30s, why? 3.5/5

(FlyingBIZKIT) Incubus - Aqueous Transmission
Definitely didn't expect a track like this from these guys. I think they play some funk metal, or the like? Well this is pretty nice and chill, I like the unconventional instrumentation, the soft vocals, and the quiet percussion. My complaint is that it drags, really. 3.5/5

(senecadawg2) Foals - Spanish Sahara
This post-rock formula of long buildups is interesting, but I feel some bands pull it off better than others. Or in better albums than others lol. Because, this buildup didn't really pay off in my opinion. Honestly, I prefer the other song by these guys by a nice margin. +3.5/5

(425) Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Ohboy, this is like the 4th song with a buildup on this round, what the hell :lol
Well, if it's a great buildup, one of those that add new details very few bars, I love them. If they only get faster or louder, well... meh.

This is a beautiful, emotive song, but its buildup structure is kinda bad executed, it just takes too long to reach the climax - imo a good buildup shouldn't take more than 5 mins. Oh, it's awesome when it reaches the best part, but feels one-dimensional for most of the song. Nothing is bad on this song (actually the melodies are very good) per se, except how it's written, and it makes this a tiring experience. Maybe if this had a break on the middle I'd have liked it more. +3.5/5

(sneakyblueberry) Frank Ocean - Pyramids
The first thing that popped in my mind is that this reminds me of those lame Drake songs, and a lot of modern, mainstream music. I think it's safe to say they got inspiration from this guy. This style is very interesting, and after like 6 listens I could finally shake all those lame songs' feelings - this is better written. For being such a long tune, this actually flows very well, and feels shorter. Pretty creative tune - please, keep sending stuff from outside my comfort zone. 4/5

(splent) OutKast - B.O.B.
What turns me off from most hip-hop albums, and has slowed down my exploration of it is the huge amount of CRAPPY covers. This one, eh... it's alright.
This tune has some great beats and rapping, and it's more varied than I'd have imagined, with that choir and the guitar bits. I dig it. 4/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Streetlight Manifesto - If and When We Rise Again
Ah, ska. This is the kind of music I've heard quite a lot on radios, as in a very similar vein, and had never intrigued me. This, on the other, is very well written. And lots of fun. The little chorus is great. It might not blow my mind, but I quite enjoy this. Excellent instrumentation. +4/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) múm - We Have A Map Of The Piano
I don't know what kind of music this is, other than gorgeous. This is a nice little, innocent song. I prefer the other one you were about to send me, but couldn't (sorry :lol ). But this piece is very intriguing. Almost childish, but in a good way. Yup, I like this combination of acoustic instruments with some minimal electronics. +4/5

(Parama) Mew - Comforting Sounds
I can see why this is one of your favorite songs. It's a very emotional one. Despite its length (I feel it drags a little bit tbh), I find myself liking this more with each listen. This is the kind of buildup I like, where something new appears every several bars, so the song keeps evolving and it never gets boring. My only complain is that the whole song is a fucking buildup, and at almost 9 mins, is a bit exhausting, considering the best part, by far, is the second half - when it reaches the climax, it's glorious. +4/5

(Elite) Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Oh Arcade Fire. One of the last big indie bands, and you send me something from their most iconic album. Nice. I really dig the vocal harmonies on this song, and the general vibe of it, quite melancholic. Great violin work btw. Not much more to add, other than while it didn't blow my mind, I quite enjoyed this. +4/5

(Tyrias) Foals - Inhaler
This is every intriguing piece. First thing I notice, these guys, despite their alternative rock influences, have a personal sound, and I always appreciate that. The chorus here is just fantastic, with, those post-rocky guitars, and that great climax. The best chorus of the round, and maybe of the roulette? It's just excellent. SPAAAAACEEE. I need to check this album right now, this is excellent. 4.5/5

Standings
12.5 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 xx
12.5 - Fluffy Lothario xxx
+12 - home xx
12 - Elite xxx
+11.5 - Bolsters xxx
+11.5 - Parama xxx
11.5 - splent xxx
11.5 - Tyrias xxx
+11 - senecadawg2 xx
11 - Biskit xx
11 - 425 xxx
+10.5 - Evermind xxx
+10.5 - Train of Naught xx
10.5 - Sneakyblueberry xx
9.5 - mikemangioy xx
Mr Fluffy has proved not only to have a great music taste, but also the ability of picking songs outside my comfort zone that I quite enjoy. But WAIT A MINUTE. How the hell is Shadow Ninja doing SO WELL on this roulette?!? I'm as surprised as him I guess. In the meantime, home and Bolsters, who shined on the first 2 rounds have slipped a bit on this one, but still have strong chances to win if they know what to send. Either Tyrias or splent can enter the top 5 now, closely followed by seneca, who surprises me isn't annihilating everyone's ass at this point. The middle section is pretty hectic right now, so with a bit of luck, anybody can climb to the top 5. And mikemangioy still regrets not having sent Adrenaline Mob :P

Oh, and you have 24 hours to send

ALSO READ THIS: I've decided to allow live songs, as some tunes outdo their studio versions. The same rules apply as with normal submissions: if a band/artist is banned, or if your song belongs originally to an album that has a ranking on the list, good or bad, you CAN'T send it. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:37:43 PM by Sacul »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »
In the meantime, home and Bolsters, who shined on the first 2 rounds have slipped a bit on this one, but still have strong chances to win if they know what to send.
Well I had more confidence in Snowman than either of my previous submissions, so I wouldn't count on it.

We're all sending Lorde this round, right?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Before last round I'll get back to songs from previous ones, and if some grow on me, update their score.

And I'll only allow 2 Lorde songs Max this round, so send quick :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
And I'll only allow 2 Lorde songs Max this round, so send quick :P
Sent. Parama I left Buzzcut Season alone for you since you send it in roulettes a bit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
it wouldn't matter because i sent like 15 minutes ago  :loser:

i hope you didn't send Tennis Court or Still Sane

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
it wouldn't matter because i sent like 15 minutes ago  :loser:

i hope you didn't send Tennis Court or Still Sane
I sent Glory and Gore.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
AND I FORGOT: here's the last batch of new albums. They haven't been added to the list (yet) but imagine they're there.

Pendulum - Immersion
Paavoharju - Yhä hämärää
Tiny Vipers - Life on Earth
Perturbator - Dangerous Days
Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
Rise and Fall of a Decade - Rise and Fall of a Decade
Wovenhand - Blush Music
Jute - A Violent Narcotic
Quiet Child - If Only You Had Seen Me
Red Snapper - Making Bones
Teeth of the sea - Master
Darkside - Psychic
Lustmord - The Word as Power
Kauan - Sorni Nai
Airhead - For Years
Black Light Burns - Cruel Melody
Kingston Wall - II
Moby - Innocents
Holy Other - With U
Anna Von Hausswolff - Ceremony

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh yeah i should comment on results.

1. what other mum song did he want to send you? he picked one of the better tracks IMO (that and Now There's That Fear Again are probably my favorites but the whole album is excellent)
2. that's about as good as i could've hoped from you, I guess  :lol
3. i guess i should listen to that other Foals song, but Spanish Sahara is actually great and you're wrong  :hat
4. i was considering sending Power Out from Arcade Fire but it didn't make the cut. that's like the only Arcade Fire song I've ever listened to a lot, Funeral was okay but didn't do a ton for me as a whole

Glory and Gore is a decent choice but I dunno if that'd make my top 5 from even the main album  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
What the fuck am I doing at the top of the scoreboard?!? Damn, I gotta screw this up somehow...

Sent

parama, I wanted to send green grass of tunnel.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ahh. i think i'm glad you couldn't, 'cause there are several songs i like better, though green grass of tunnel is great too  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Glory and Gore is a decent choice but I dunno if that'd make my top 5 from even the main album  :lol
I'm trying to think of what our host might be more into, which will probably be my downfall.

Edit: and fuck all on that list for me, no idea what my fifth from the list will be yet.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i will spill a secret that most of my entries in your roulette were trying to figure out what the hell you liked instead of just sending whatever the hell i felt like sending and i did way worse in that roulette than most of the others i've participated in so  :lol

Offline 425

This.

Buzzcut Season, 400 Lux, Tennis Court, Team and Ribs at least probably all top it.

As for the results... Oh well. I wasn't really expecting to do super great in this roulette anyway, so I'll consider it an accomplishment if I find just one song that Sacul really loves.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Buzzcut Season, 400 Lux, Tennis Court, Team and Ribs at least probably all top it.
I like Ribs and 400 Lux but I like Glory and Gore more than either.

i will spill a secret that most of my entries in your roulette were trying to figure out what the hell you liked instead of just sending whatever the hell i felt like sending and i did way worse in that roulette than most of the others i've participated in so  :lol
You could have kept that a secret for all eternity, I genuinely thought you were just sending things almost completely at random. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

This.

As for the results... Oh well. I wasn't really expecting to do super great in this roulette anyway, so I'll consider it an accomplishment if I find just one song that Sacul really loves.
I don't agree with Tennis Court and maybe not Ribs, but then you can replace them with White Teeth Teens and A World Alone and get the same result

and Bravado, The Love Club, and Swingin' Party off the bonus tracks too
i was sort of considering Bravado since it's great but it's technically not on the album so I don't know if Sacul would've counted it  :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Let's say albums on the list are first pressings, so bonus tracks wouldn't count as list entries unless they're there from the beginning :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'd probably still send Buzzcut Season either way because it's the best
i feel bad sending the same song a hundred times but it's just that good

Offline 425

There's just something I really love about Tennis Court. Probably all the catchy af vocal parts. Ribs is just pure atmosphere, I didn't like it that much at first, but it just stuck with me. White Teeth Teens might be my least favorite on the album, but only by proxy. A World Alone is also very awesome.

I need to listen to the bonus tracks more. I have them, but I've only played them a couple of times.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Fluffy Lothario

(home) The Beatles - A Day In The Life
And the outro... no. Just no. A weird loop repeating for 30s, why? 3.5/5
I'm not certain, but I think this was one of those albums that, on record, was rigged to loop forever when it reached the end. The thirty seconds of that weird thing looping emulates what went on forever on the record. You could kind of regard it to occur once or twice and call that the end of the song.

Mr Fluffy has proved not only to have a great music taste, but also the ability of picking songs outside my comfort zone that I quite enjoy.
And I still gotta send some jazz yet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
While I can see and appreciate its artistic value, it just something I don't really enjoy, that loop.

Curious about that jazz, when/if you send it :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I sent some don't worry
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Tyrias

Nice, finally a great score. And you're also right abouz Spanish Sahara. While it's generally seen as the best song by the fanbase, I gind iz pretty average as well.
Will send on sunday.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

I knew sending songs from the list would be a problem for me, but I didn't imagine it would be that hard. Well, I don't even care anymore. Just hope you'll enjoy some of my songs from Round 6 onward.

Will send in a bit. I've spent like 15 seconds deciding on it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
(Elite) Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Oh Arcade Fire. One of the last big indie bands, and you send me something from their most iconic album. Nice. I really dig the vocal harmonies on this song, and the general vibe of it, quite melancholic. Great violin work btw. Not much more to add, other than while it didn't blow my mind, I quite enjoyed this. +4/5

My first experience with this song was underwhelming, to be honest. But back then I wasn't really that much into music outside my comfort zone. I love the rawness and honesty of not only this track, but the entire record. It can be found in every instrument and in every vocal line. This band isn't there to make 'perfect(ly produced)' music, they just write very good songs. Glad you enjoyed it, but do check out the rest of Funeral as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Well fuck. Getting the same score as a power metal song in a Sacul roulette says a lot. I kinda saw this coming though, no more 70s entries from me.

Gonna send in a bit.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well fuck. Getting the same score as a power metal song in a Sacul roulette says a lot.

:lol

Sent.