Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79571 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND 2 RESULTS... soon
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
The hype is real, the only lie is the cake :P

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »

I'm doing science and I'm still alive  :hat
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
Apparently this would have been too big a post for the forum. :'(

Code: [Select]
0-0-0---0---0---0--00--0--0-0-0--0--00-----00----0--0--00--000-000---0--0-000-000--000
0---00-00---00-00-0--0-0--0-0-00-0-0--0---0--0---00-0-0--0--0--0-----0--0-0---0--0-0
0---00-00---00-00-0--0-0-0--0-00-0-0------0--0---00-0-0--0--0--0-----0--0-0---0--0-0
0---0-0-0---0-0-0-0000-00---0-00-0-0------0000---00-0-0--0--0--00----0000-00--000--00
0---0---0---0---0-0--0-0-0--0-0-00-0------0--0---0-00-0--0--0--0-----0--0-0---00---0
0---0---0---0---0-0--0-0-0--0-0-00-0-00---0--0---0-00-0--0--0--0-----0--0-0---0-0--0
0---0---0---0---0-0--0-0--0-0-0-00-0--0---0--0---0-00-0--0--0--0-----0--0-0---0--0-0
0---0---0---0---0-0--0-0--0-0-0--0--00----0--0---0--0--00---0--000---0--0-000-0--0-000

0--0-0--0--00--000----00--0--0--00---00--000--00---00
0--0-0--0-0--0-0-----0--0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0---0--0-0--0
0--0-0--0-0----0-----0----0--0-0----0----0---0----0
0000-0--0-0----00-----0---0--0-0----0----00---0----0
0--0-0--0-0----0-------0--0--0-0----0----0-----0----0
0--0-0--0-0-00-0--------0-0--0-0----0----0------0----0
0--0-0--0-0--0-0-----0--0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0---0--0-0--0
0--0--00---00--000----00---00---00---00--000--00---00

Edit: It's been more than two hours, apparently the cake is not the only lie. :P

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2016, 07:18:26 PM »
Jesus Sacul.. Learn to post results in a timely manner, like myself.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys are awesome  :rollin

First of all, I think this round turned out better than expected - lots of songs grew on me a bit. Now, results:

(splent) Yellow Magic Orchestra - Behind the Mask
Oh, the 70s. Strange and fascinating times. This is a pretty fun song, with those robotic vocals. Doesn't do much for me tho - if Michael Jackson was blown away with it, that only means he and I have very different tastes. +3/5

(425) Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Oh I've heard of this albums' legend - Vernon shut himself in a cabin for 3 months, pouring all of his demons into music. That alone is haunting. But, as sad as it makes me... that's not what I look for in music. Because I actually look for music, not lyrical content, as heart-breaking it might be. Not because I actively decide not to care, but, as I explained on seneca's previous entry, lyrics just don't connect with me. Hell, he could have been singing about sausages with mustard, and I'd still have given this the same score. Because, well... this is nice. But just that. +3/5

(mikemangioy) Twelve Foot Ninja - One Hand Killing
I remember these guys from plug sessions - added their debut to the list because one of its songs was pretty good, and creative. This, on the other hand... sounds a bit generic. Nothing bad per se on it, but there are quite some part I feel I've heard elsewhere, and maybe done better. +3/5

(sneakyblueberry) Hiatus Kaiyote - Breathing Underwater
I like this, is pretty chill. Dunno what genre this is, but I like what I hear. Yet it doesn't do much to me. Maybe it's the pretty repetitive vocal melodies? 3.5/5

(Tyrias) The Tallest Man on Earth - Love is All
I have to admit it took lots of listen for this to grow on me. And with "this" I mean his voice. It's rough, it's high-pitched, it's... nice. It definitely fits the "lonely travelling singer-songwriter" image I created in my head. Now that is no longer a problem, time to focus on the guitar. Which isn't bad by any means, but doesn't really move me or anything - it's just there, playing nice notes. Interesting piece all in all. 3.5/5

(Evermind) Enigma - Knocking on Forbidden Doors
Well this is pretty good actually, but I feel I've listened to better songs on this style, like most of what DJ Shadow does is better than this. Not your fault, it's just that I really dig this kind of music and have explored it a lot these last months, so it will be a bit difficult to please me on this field. Is it really all sampled? I feel the guitar sounds and the chantings were recorded for this song. Not that it matters much tho. All in all, great atmosphere and sounds, yet it feels a bit inventive after a while, since it doesn't really feel like it evolves throughout it. 3.5/5

(Train of Naught) Koan Sound - Sly Fox
Well, I've gotta admit this one took quite some time to grow. At first, it felt very one-dimensional, and while it might not be the most varied piece I've received on the roulette so far, it's pretty good at what it does. Nice grooves and effects. Nothing too special, but not as bad as I thought it initially was. Well... shall we dance? +3.5/5

(Bolsters) CHVRCHES - You Caught the Light
Sadly, I have no subwoofers, not my headphones have a big bass response -actually I prefer it that way, I'm not a bass-whore- but I get what you mean - lots of subtle details are on the bass section. So, at first this was the best out of the two CHVRCHES songs I received. Really like the atmosphere of this track, very chill, and even though it's a bit of an unusual one for this kind of music, I dig it. Maybe a bit too simple? 4/5

(senecadawg2) The Antlers - Kettering
This song already starts very well, with a sweet piano and simple vocals. Then slowly reaches a splendid climax. Although the atmosphere is minimalist, this is quite a moving moment. Then, a quiet outro. And, well... that's it. While I quite loath pieces that take too long to build up to a climax (like a lot of post-rock), this one, on the other hand, felt too short for its own good - it left me desiring more. Maybe it works better in the context of the album? 4/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share
At first... I didn't want to like this. Because lots of these sounds are used in some pretty lame pop radio hits. But took me some listens to realize how this one is different from typical pop bullshit - it's emotional without using cheap drama. And with some pretty creative songwriting. Maybe with more spins I'll end up liking it more. 4/5

(FlyingBISKIT) The Dear Hunter - At the End of the Earth
Well, while I quite liked the other TDH song you showed me (and for some reason forgot to add to my list), I've gotta say this one didn't disappoint - excellent atmosphere and songwriting. Yet the weakest link I find is, as with all of the other albums by them I've checked, is their vocal melodies. The singer is good, but what he sings ends up being rather unmemorable - a thing that has quite improved on this one, yet still doesn't convince me. Anyways, I may actually get into these guy's music, for it seems their last album is up my alley. 4/5

(Fluffy Lothario) Machine Head - A Farewell to Arms
If I picked apart the different sections of this song, each on its own wouldn't feel very remarkable nor original. Yet as a unique piece, I'm amazed at how they all flow into each other - really a case where the whole works better than the sum of its parts. Excellent guitar work and drumming in general. For some reason I feel I should like this one more than I do. Maybe because even 5-6 listens aren't enough to fully process what's going on here. Anyways, excellent track - will surely check this album. +4/5

(Elite) Alt-J - Taro
Well, this is way better than your last submission. Very nice little piece, and great vocals, except at times when his voice becomes a bit harsh or nasal. But the instrumentation is wonderful, specially that part that appears at 1.20 and is repeated sometimes, so beautiful, vivid and innocent - yes. Music like this can be quite cheesy honestly, and turn me off (*cough* Disney *cough*), but when it's good (like Ommadawn, or Hurtbreak Wonderland, or like this), it's like the best thing ever. Or almost. I don't have much to add, other than I liked this a lot. 4.5/5

(home) Fair to Midland - Orphan Anthem 86'
Now I regret not exploring more of these guys' music - this one is pretty epic, and crushing, specially the excellent piano work. don't have much to say about it, really - well, maybe the vocal melodies, that wouldn't be my cuppa tea, work perfect here. Top notch instrumentation too. It's just very, very good. 4.5/5

(Parama) The Angelic Process - Dying in A-Minor
If a word defines this song, that is: crushing. And I really like this. Those distant vocals with reverb, man... I fucking love those. It's a bit of a fetish. The raw emotion of this... damn. It strikes home. All I can imagine while listening to it is someone slowly drowning at the bottom of the sea while recreating painful memories. Really a dark emotional piece, reminds me of Deathconsciousness' heaviest, most intense moments like Earthmover. Definitely didn't expect to like this one this much - was between a 4.5 and a +4.5, but went with the former by now. Maybe after listening to it in a few weeks, or in the album context it will grow a bit more. 4.5/5

Standings:
+8.5 - home x
8.5 - Bolsters xx
+8 - Shadow Ninja 2.0 x
+8 - Fluffy Lothario xx
+7.5 - Elite xx
7.5 - splent xx
7.5 - Evermind xx
7.5 - Train of Naught x
7.5 - senecadawg2 xx
7.5 - Biskit x
7.5 - Parama xx
+7 - 425 xx
7 - Tyrias xx
6.5 - mikemangioy x
6.5 - Sneakyblueberry x

(x= one song sent from the list)

The new guy strikes again! Wondering if he will be able to keep this rate. After a faulty beginning, Elite has managed to climb to the top 5 (which remains basically unchanged), leaving a disappointed splent behind (sorry not sorry), which suggests the elitist player he might have done a bit of research - if that's the case, then it has quite paid off. In the meantime, there's a heavy competition in the middle ground, and everybody has a chance to enter the glorious top 5, and thus reach the finals, if they play their cards with wisdom. But 425 and Tyrias, who had a strong opening, have fallen down quite a bit, but stil have chances to make up for their choices. And we finish with sneaky and mikemangioy who, I suspect, have no idea of what they are doing on this roulette. "Damn, I should have sent Adrenaline Mob or Winger..." grumbled one of them. But fear not, my friends! For there are still many rounds ahead, and who knows, there might be a dramatic turn of events (pun not intended) before this ends.

Credits: 0. Send song to keep playing: you have 48hs.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Tyrias, good call on Love Is All. Great song.

Will send soon.

edit: Sent. Also kudos for Kettering, that whole album is incredible.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Great I'm glad you enjoyed it !

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I have a feeling the Ninja had also send CHVRCHES. I was hoping my song would score higher than his though. :biggrin:

I have submitted my third song of the roulette.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have now added a Spotify playlist of Round 2 in the OP, and also a "Best of Roulette" one, with any song that receives a 4 or more from now on. If any of you wants to make a YT one, feel free to do so and PM me the link so I add it :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
If any of you wants to make a YT one, feel free to do so and PM me the link so I add it :P
Pass. :P

I do like this Spotify playlist idea though, I'm definitely going to steal it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Sent.

The Tallest Man on Earth's The Wild Hunt is an awesome album, and Bon Iver's For Emma is even better, just squeezed its way into the 50-75 bracket on my fav albums list (in my post-write-up reshuffle). But I didn't send it, because I didn't think it's the kind of album where any of the songs would hit very hard if you remove them from the context of the album.

Also, Antlers have been languishing on my to-check-out list since their first big album. They've pretty high up in the last year or so though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:41:38 PM by Fluffy Lothario »

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

I seriously love the Spotify Playlist idea. I really appreciate that, I'm listening through them now. Definitely giving me lots of ideas for the very distant future when I do one of these things.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I seriously love the Spotify Playlist idea. I really appreciate that, I'm listening through them now. Definitely giving me lots of ideas for the very distant future when I do one of these things.
It's actually the playlist I used to listen to most of this rounds' entries, but it was secret until now. Great you like it  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
yay i got someone else to love the angelic process  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

What if you have an album on your list, by a particular band, and we know that they have another quite similar album (in style and quality) and we want to send you something from it. Would you add that second album to the list, or would that have to count as one of our five, non-list songs?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The later. If a band has more than an album on the list it means that they are very different in style (like the Bowie records I have there), or are very praised and couldn't just leave one.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Aww dammit
I'll send soon
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
DAMMMIT SHADOW NINJA AND BOLSTERS I WAS GOING TO SEND CHVRCHES THIS ROUND.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
The thing about YMO... That was released in 1979. They were one of the first bands to do music like this. It was pretty groundbreaking for the time.

Gotta rethink my strategy now with Chvrches being taken... GAH... Torn between two or three songs...

Offline Tyrias

Well, I actually do really like his guitar playing and think it's special, but opinions and stuff. He's a lot better live than in studio though, that's for sure.

Sent for round 3 as well. Hope you like it as much as the song deserves this time :).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah.. I feel like we have a lot of music likes in common, but I like a wider range of stuff that you do so I'm trying to introduce you to stuff I feel you may like, going by our common interests.  Maybe my taste is too eclectic to be effective.  Oh well. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, well, whatever. No Winger for you then. Yet.

I'm just going to keep sending songs with whatever results I'll get. That's kinda the reason I don't play in roulettes where I know our tastes don't align almost at all.

Will send later today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Noooooo!

I literally wanted to send A Farewell to Arms this round  :'( but I'mstill glad you liked it.
Also noticed today that TDH wasn't on the banned list so I wanted to send thst as well.

Ah well, will send R3 in a bit, and glad you liked Sly Fox, the thing that pushed me to send it was the intro, I thought you'd dig those lounge-type piano and bass a lot  :tup

EDIT: Damnit, just read the spotify idea, I'm 0.25 points short of making the playlist twice in a row  :'( Nonetheless I think this is the best score I got for an electronic song apart from Witchcraft in FBK's roulette.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:48:25 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Oh I've heard of this albums' legend - Vernon shut himself in a cabin for 3 months, pouring all of his demons into music. That alone is haunting. But, as sad as it makes me... that's not what I look for in music. Because I actually look for music, not lyrical content, as heart-breaking it might be. Not because I actively decide not to care, but, as I explained on seneca's previous entry, lyrics just don't connect with me. Hell, he could have been singing about sausages with mustard, and I'd still have given this the same score. Because, well... this is nice. But just that.

The funny thing is, the lyrics on most Bon Iver shit is pretty much nonsense anyway, and mostly work phonetically.  FE,FA is a great album, and has a fantastically eerie vibe.  I'm quite fond of the second album tho. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh I've heard of this albums' legend - Vernon shut himself in a cabin for 3 months, pouring all of his demons into music. That alone is haunting. But, as sad as it makes me... that's not what I look for in music. Because I actually look for music, not lyrical content, as heart-breaking it might be. Not because I actively decide not to care, but, as I explained on seneca's previous entry, lyrics just don't connect with me. Hell, he could have been singing about sausages with mustard, and I'd still have given this the same score. Because, well... this is nice. But just that.

The funny thing is, the lyrics on most Bon Iver shit is pretty much nonsense anyway, and mostly work phonetically.  FE,FA is a great album, and has a fantastically eerie vibe.  I'm quite fond of the second album tho. 

Wait, Sacul doesn't care about lyrics? I'm off to send some heavy metal anthem about how metal is forever and great and is the best thing ever.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Wait, Sacul doesn't care about lyrics? I'm off to send some heavy metal anthem about how metal is forever and great and is the best thing ever.

Sent some Primal Fear.

Some talk of noise pollution
When we play our heavy metal
Don't be judgemental it's our way of life

:metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
(Train of Naught) Koan Sound - Sly Fox
Well... shall we dance? +3.5/5
Of course my dear!

Also, sent. oldie but goldie, I wonder how many rounds it'll take me to send something prog.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I was really disappointed with the second album. The production is really weird and oversaturated, none of the songs go anywhere, and while For Emma's vocals are hard to decipher some of the time, it never impeded my enjoyment of the album, whereas on the second album, I just found myself frustrated every time I listened to it because I couldn't hear a thing he was saying.

For Emma was the business though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Really?  That's funny.  I think, I heard them in reverse order, with the self-titled first, so I'm biased towards it.  I hear what you're saying with the songs, they do seem to meander a bit, but for some reason it's never really impeded my enjoyment of it.

I think Perth -> Minnesota, WI is right up there with Mojo Pin -> Grace as the best one-two album openers ever.  And the way Minnesota opens is majestic - I love how there's this wash of layered guitar that somehow dovetails with that big obnoxious drum fill into a syncopated skank rhythm.  Part of the magic is in how I can never really figure out how it gets there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I love the second album, whereas I don't think I've ever made it all the way through For Emma, Forever Ago without getting bored and moving to something else.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Ha, I guessed right!  Sent the entry for the third round, I was quite suprised that the album the song is off is on your list :p No clue if you'll like it, we'll see.

By the way, if you want to check out more of Fair To Midland, I would suggest listening to: Fables from a Mayfly or Arrows and Anchors. Fables from a Mayfly is more focused and more "beautifull" whereas Arrows and Anchors is more raw and diverse.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
I already sent, but now I'm backpedalling... I think... Oh well you know what you may like it.

Offline 425

Oh well. It's kind of hard to tell what Sacul is going to like :lol

Anyway, sent Whiplash.

We'll never stop we'll never quit
Cause we're Metallica
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time