Poll

Choose your winner!

Flyffy
Voltsters
homework
Pain of Naught
Elitist
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. UNNECESSARY EPILOGUE  (Read 79465 times)

Offline senecadawg2

I see mine!

If you want intimate, hmu.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So after checking like half of these guys' discography, and not really digging it, I kinda liked this album so added it to the list to check it later. But forgot to do so lol. This is definitely the best [band] song I've heard so far...

This has some nice acoustic layering, and I like his voice, how intimate it all feels.

Better than most power metal I've heard at least.

These could be mine, though I didn't send power metal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v2. Vendetta! - ROUND ONE LISTENING!
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
A bit of a pity nobody sent me black metal tho.
yet. don't worry, i have at least two artists planned.

Well this is not what I expected. This song is a bit weird, atonal at times, and pretty dark. Yet it doesn't appeal me that much...

I dig this one quite a lot, yet my complaint is that on the second half he does some weird noises/screams that turn me off a bit.
one of these is me tho

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
The fuck is this :lol

Thought for sure this would be yours
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »

So after checking like half of these guys' discography, and not really digging it, I kinda liked this album so added it to the list to check it later. But forgot to do so lol. This is definitely the best [band] song I've heard so far...

Better than most power metal I've heard at least.

Well, I really dig those vocal harmonies throughout the song. It has some epic moments too. Yup, I'm quite digging this piece.

Either of those could be mine, can't really see how the others could fit up with my song. Hope it's the last one

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »

Thought for sure this would be yours
i definitely have an song along these lines planned, but not in the first half of my entries

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This has some nice acoustic layering, and I like his voice, how intimate it all feels.

That's mine probably.

And this is awesome :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Funny how some of you found your writeups, while others aren't even close  :lol

EDIT: Did preliminary scores to have a reference when I deliver the final results, and scores range from 3 to +4, all out of five.

EDIT 2: Added my top 100 to the OP now that my list is finished. Of course, all albums and bands on it are banned.

EDIT 3: Deleted a few albums on the list that shouldn't have been there since the bands/artists were banned, and added these:

• The Angels of Light - How I Loved You
  • Richard Buckner - Devotion + Doubt
  • Austin Lucas - Putting The Hammer Down
  • Austin Lucas - Somebody Loves You
  • Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:23:05 PM by Sacul »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
No idea which of those tidbits is mine.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
EDIT 3: Deleted a few albums tot he list that shouldn't have been there since the bands/artists were banned

can you tell us which albums you deleted then  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
IIRC, I think these:

• Sufjan Stevens - The Age of ADZ
  • Elend - A World At Their Screams
  • James Blake - Overgrown
  • Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
  • Gazpacho - Night
  • Archive - Londinium
It's not that I expect you to know any of these anyways :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
¿Gazpacho? ¿Pero porque, señor Sacul?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline senecadawg2

I'll send you some black metal between submissions from your list. I have a few that I've been wanting to try out

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »

I guess this one is a grower. Goes places, yes, but seems a bit unfocused.

Well, I really dig those vocal harmonies throughout the song. It has some epic moments too. Yup, I'm quite digging this piece.

I think it is one of those two, I would describe it as unfocused with epic moments  :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll send you some black metal between submissions from your list. I have a few that I've been wanting to try out
Nice, although I wouldn't recommend it - I've sampled some classic albums by Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, and the like, and they have left me quite underwhelmed. Well, except Ulver's Bergtatt, which is nice, and Mantiis, but that album mixes lots of genres so it never gets boring. Added this opinion on black metal to the "My Tastes" doc, on the Metal section, by the way.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

There's a black metal album I could recommend, but I'll hold off in case seneca wants to send it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to send a song from a band that plays black metal at one point. However, the song will be from a period they made ambient acoustic music. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Since you're the first host of a roulette I'm participating that doesn't only 'tolerate' electronic music but actually listens to it a fair amount, I'm probably going bat-shit crazy in this one with some electronic shit, I still want to take the strategic route though so if it's not working I will wuss out and go back to sending prog again or something.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
well that's just a challenge for me to get you to like black metal more, then

Offline senecadawg2

Nice, although I wouldn't recommend it - I've sampled some classic albums by Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, and the like, and they have left me quite underwhelmed. Well, except Ulver's Bergtatt, which is nice, and Mantiis, but that album mixes lots of genres so it never gets boring. Added this opinion on black metal to the "My Tastes" doc, on the Metal section, by the way.

I feel ya- those classic black metal albums are generally underwhelming for me as well. The ones I'm thinking about are a bit more modern and draw a bit more from other genres. Also, less intentionally-bad production than those you listed.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
also yeah i tend to prefer the more modern black metal albums a lot more than the "classics"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to send a song from a band that plays black metal at one point. However, the song will be from a period they made ambient acoustic music. :lol
Ulver are banned :neverusethis:

Since you're the first host of a roulette I'm participating that doesn't only 'tolerate' electronic music but actually listens to it a fair amount, I'm probably going bat-shit crazy in this one with some electronic shit, I still want to take the strategic route though so if it's not working I will wuss out and go back to sending prog again or something.
Nice.

I feel ya- those classic black metal albums are generally underwhelming for me as well. The ones I'm thinking about are a bit more modern and draw a bit more from other genres. Also, less intentionally-bad production than those you listed.
If you feel confident about it, sure, go ahead :tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor

If you send who I was going to send I call automatic entry into your finals
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I really doubt it honestly  :lol it'd be pretty awesome if you were going to send this though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
hyped for that 2.5

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finally, the so-awaited round 1 entries! Songs are ordered from worst to best :P

(sneakyblueberry) Horse the Band - Cloudwalker

I'll give you credit for sending me something quite creative. But good ideas alone don't make a song good. See, while this song is enjoyable, I didn't find anything remarkable except the great synth/chiptune work. None of the other instruments really made something that stood out. Not even the use of samples saved this song. It's nice, but nothing special to me. 3/5

(Parama) Cursive - Butcher the Song
I prefer the song you sent biskit by a nice margin :lol

It has an interesting dark circus vibe I quite dig tho. The dissonant guitars don't turn me off actually. But the vocal melodies are pretty lame imo. They fit the style, but I don't really dig them anyways. That's something I've found common in post-hardcore and in a lot of post-punk/punk related music, that their vocal melodies are fairly unmemorable. While this one is enjoyable, I didn't find it special, really. 3/5

(Elite) Jeff Buckley - So Real
Well this is not what I expected. For some reason I thought this guy made more straightforward folk music or something lol. This song is a bit weird, atonal at times, and pretty dark imo. Yet it doesn't appeal me that much. The guitar work and the drumming reminds me a bit of Slint and the vocal melodies to Mr Bungle, for some reason. In general these are some strange melodies. So none of the quotes you chose were yours, sorry - maybe we have different definitions of intimate music? This felt a bit creepy lol. But anyways, I'll end up checking this album. +3/5

(Mikemangioy) Native Construct - Come Hell or High Water
After all the hype this album generated last year I added it to the list, and I guess I can see why. While not reinventing the wheel, these guys combine several styles in a unique way, crafting a sound of their own, something I appreciate a lot. Yet uniqueness doesn't make for a good score alone. This tune definitely goes places, yes, but seems a bit unfocused. Like, for a moment it's pretty heavy and serious, and the other more playful, almost Disney-esque. Nothing bad with that, it's just that I don't feel it works on this particular song. +3/5

(FlyingBISKIT) Chroma Key - America The Video
Ah, Kevin. Dunno up to which point this is cheating, considering my love for Blood and Kevin's work in general, but whatever. The song has some nice electronics, and great guitar work and production. The melodies in general aren't that good to be honest, they feel a bit chessy. Reminds me a bit of Surrounded in that sense, but not as good. Pretty enjoyable, yet not really memorable. 3.5/5

(senecadawg2) Damien Rice - Cannonball
Oh, folk. For some reason I should be really more into this kind of music. I used to think that it was too simple to me - just a person with a guitar, singing and playing. But I guess my issue is that the songwriting isn't really strong, at least not here. Well, maybe its strength relies on the lyrics? As you said, they're poignant ("Life taught me to die" lol), and it's not that I don't care about lyrics in purpose, but they don't really affect my enjoying of a song unless they're awful. I can listen so them, sing along them, understand them, but... for some reason, they don't leave much of an impact on me most of the time, unlike music. Weird thing.

So back to the song, this has some nice acoustic layering, and I like his voice how intimate it all feels. Yet it's nothing too special. I guess I just prefer more ambitious stuff (like Sufjan's Illinoise), or music with clearly different parts, for this felt a bit one-dimensional. Nothing bad, but nothing too remarkable. 3.5/5

(Tyrias) Nightwish - Higher than Hope
I was wondering how long would it take before someone sent me power metal :lol

This is a nice piece, pretty epic at times but also dark, for the lyrics you described to me. Better than most power metal I've heard at least. Reminds me a bit of The Human Equation in the sense that it has nice songwriting and tight insturmentation, and very little cheese, enough for me to bear with it. It doesn't blow me away or anything, but it's more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Don't have much to add, other than I'm curious about this album and band. 3.5/5

(Train of Naught) Royal Blood - Loose Change
Well this is definitely something different - a bass so distorted it sounds like a guitar is a very intriguing idea, indeed, and it has a nice distorted sound. The riffs are pretty good, and this song has a great groove. But... nothing wrong with the tune, is short and catchy, and does its job well. I feel it's a tad bit too short tho, with that abrupt ending. And it sounds a bit too much like The White Stripes at times lol. Will check this album anyways. +3.5/5

(425) Coldplay - Midnight
Well this is pretty nice. I dig the combination of robotic vocals with the real ones. It's both beautiful and relaxing, and pretty minimalistic too. Nice synths section at the middle. I can see why you love this song. Honestly, it took quite some time to grow on me - I think if it wasn't for the 5-6 listens I have given it, it wouldn't have clicked. I may not be 100% sold on Coldplay, but I really like this one, and will check this album. 4/5

(Evermind) Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
So after checking like half of these guys' discography, and not really digging it, I kinda liked this album so added it to the list to check it later. But forgot to do so lol. This is definitely the best PoS song I've heard so far, without annoying vocal noises. Great vocal performance, and nice solo. The instrumentation wasn't that good overall, with some great moments and a few meh ones. The ending is quite epic tho, and this would definitely be a great closer. Might finally get into these guys' music, or at least on this album. 4/5

(Fluffy Lothario) The Stooges - Fun House
What the hell :lol

Dunno what's going on here, but this is a hella lot of fun - dat sax is awesome. And the singer, the mighty punk godfather Iggy Pop, bro, he's insane. I dig this one quite a lot, yet my complaint is that on the second half he does some weird noises/screams that turn me off a bit. But otherwise, this is excellent. Don't have much to say really, just that I quite enjoyed it. 4/5

(splent) Rush - La Villa Strangiato
Well of course I've listened to La Villa Strangiato, but maybe just one or two times long time ago, so I let this pass. To be honest, although I have listened to little Rush, I definitely prefer their instrumental pieces - YYZ is excellent. And so is this, for it goes many places in almost 10 mins, both serious and fun, yet remains cohesive and interesting enough. Excellent production, too. +4/5

(Shadow Ninja 2.0) Celldweller - Gift For You
So, you did it again :lol

On my previous roulette you sent me a song by Assemblage 23, from the album Compass, despite having another of their albums on my list at the moment. Now, I have The End of An Empire on the list, yet you sent me something from another record :P

About the song - I do love me some industrial. I actually expected a heavier song, but instead this is a... ballad? Anyways, I really dig the atmosphere and the electronic sounds - reminds me a bit of OSI's Blood. This is a pretty interesting piece, with a fantastic production! I would have liked a more energic song in this style, but this tune has grown on me quite a bit, specially the vocal lines. This shouldn't happen, but you got a nice score! +4/5

(home) Rishloo - Just a Ride
So, prog metal? I've gotta admit it's a genre in which I have tough time finding good bands that don't sound generic as fuck - totally the oposite of a progressive genre. This song is a more than welcomed breath of fresh air. The vocal harmonies at the beginning (and througout the song), and most of the vocal melodies remind me a bit of Gazpacho - not complaining though, I really dig them. Excellent how everything feels quite atmospheric. Yup, I dig this. +4/5

(Bolsters) Kishi Bashi - Philosophize in it! Chemicalize with it!
>kishi bashi
>that cover
>song starts
>panic
>song ends
>hey that wasn't too bad!

So after like 6 or so spins, this one has grown quite a lot on me. At times, a bit too sugar-ish for my taste, yes. But man, this is just pure fun, and some excellent joyful stuff. Quite beautiful even. I'm definitely intrigued about this album, yup. My only complaint is that it felt a bit too short. Nothing more to be added, excellent track that didn't expec to like this much. 4.5/5

Standings:
4.5 - Bolsters x
+4 - home x
+4 - Shadow Ninja 2.0
+4 - splent x
4 - Fluffy Lothario x
4 - Evermind x
4 - 425 x
+3.5 - Train of Naught x
3.5 - senecadawg2 x
3.5 - Biskit x
3.5 - Tyrias x
+3 - mikemangioy x
+3 - Elite x
3 - Parama x
3 - Sneakyblueberry x

(x= one song sent from the list)
I'll later update the Banned During Roulette list on the OP, but now you have 48 hs to send for the next round.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:14:56 PM by Sacul »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Once is an album by Nightwish. There's no title track on it.

Also, Iter Impius isn't a closer.

What does "+4" mean? Not quite 4,5 but not 4 either? If I get, say, +4 three times, will my score be +++12? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
lol will fix that later.

Oh thought it was the last song for some reason.

Read the OP :P

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
oh so you want remarkable silly me
fuk u

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Nothing more to be added, excellent track that didn't expect to like this much.
That's okay, I understand. :lol

And Shadow Ninja just wasted Celldweller, because one of his other albums was on your list. :loser:

Round 2 sent.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
sent my round two, but I think [mindgames] its probably too obscure for you cos you're not quite obscure as me tbh [/mindgames]

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
off to an early reverse-lead, heck yeah
and by the way my first five songs are all going to be off your list but i keep forgetting to mention that in pm's so yeah