2 (4.1%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
6 (12.2%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread - FLY THE WORLD SERIES W FOR THE CHAMPION CUBS!!!  (Read 52325 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: 2016 MLB Thread - World Series - Cubbies vs. the Tribe
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »
Home field being tied to the All Star game is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The team with the best record should be hosting.
Absolutely! Home field decided by a meaningless exhibition game. Moronic to say the least.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
Tragically, it has been over 10 years since baseball fans in Chicago have celebrated a World Series championship.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
Tragically, it has been over 10 years since baseball fans in Chicago have celebrated a World Series championship.

That's not a fair stance to take. They're two different fanbases. Cubs fans don't root for the White Sox and vica versa. That would be like saying that Jets fans shouldn't be upset about their team not winning a Super Bowl in 48 years because they saw the Giants win one five years ago.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
Home field being tied to the All Star game is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The team with the best record should be hosting.

Yep.

The old "every other year" way was dumb, too, and likely cost the Cardinals a world title in 1987.

On the flip side, it did benefit us in 2011 (when the Cards had game 7 at home against Texas), so I guess that makes us even. :lol :lol

Regardless, even though the schedules are not the same, because of divisions and different leagues, it should be based on better record.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
If the Cubs lose the series, is the mood in Chicago

A) Hey, we made it to the World Series, this was a great season, and our team is built for success in the upcoming years, it's great to be a Cubs fan!

of

B) This season was a total disappointment, we are still cursed, we will never win, being a Cubs fan is miserable!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »
Considering the city celebrated winning the NLCS like every single person in the city won the lottery, I am leaning towards A.  There will be disappointment, but the team is built to be a top contender for years.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »
I can't relate to people who openly bawl when a team wins a game, so I have no idea how a Cubs series loss will play out with their fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »
Yeah I don't think it'd be the end of the world. But as we've seen with the Nationals after the Strasburg debacle of 2012, second/third/etc chances don't always come around as often as you expect.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
Let's get there first.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »

That's not a fair stance to take. They're two different fanbases. Cubs fans don't root for the White Sox and vica versa. That would be like saying that Jets fans shouldn't be upset about their team not winning a Super Bowl in 48 years because they saw the Giants win one five years ago.
Very true. I'm a Mets fan who hates the Yankees so when they were winning like every year it did nothing for me but piss me off.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »

A) Hey, we made it to the World Series, this was a great season, and our team is built for success in the upcoming years, it's great to be a Cubs fan!

of

B) This season was a total disappointment, we are still cursed, we will never win, being a Cubs fan is miserable!

I expect it will be a good mix of both.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »

of

If they lose it's the biggest choke job ever. My largest issue with the Cubs this year is the fact that they've been crowned 2016 World Champs since spring training. Countless cover shots on countless magazines of how unstoppable they are......the ooohing and aaahing from every announcer with a microphone (I thought for sure Joe Buck and John Smoltz were going to be down in the dugout giving each Cub a 'handy' last night between innings....jeez, at least try to seem partial) It's non stop "Cubs are the greatest ever" all year and frankly if/when they don't win it's no ones fault but their own. On paper and in the regular season they by far have the best team in baseball. But you have to play the games and it's gut check time for their players....we'll see if they perform or not?

Yes, they have a good young core that is going to be competitive  but anyone who knows sports knows how difficult it is to get to the championship game in any sport. It's tough. This could be their only shot for the next 10 years or they could be there 10 years straight....who knows.

If the Cubs can take tonight's game I think the series has 7 games written all over it. If not, it's looking like Cleveland in 6.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Not sure how it could be a choke job? That's unfair. The media coverage may be nauseating, but that's not on them. It's not like they have a team of asshats either. They are a more than likeable team and if the Indians beat them, praise should be directed at the Indians, not backlash directed at the Cubs. Cleveland destroyed Boston and Toronto.

That said, people here have been complaining about the media, camera shots of Eddie Vedder, old ladies in the front row etc.. I can see that being a turn off to the Cubs experience, but it shouldn't be held against a good, young, and exciting team.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
Not sure how it could be a choke job? That's unfair. The media coverage may be nauseating, but that's not on them. It's not like they have a team of asshats either. They are a more than likeable team and if the Indians beat them, praise should be directed at the Indians, not backlash directed at the Cubs. Cleveland destroyed Boston and Toronto.

That said, people here have been complaining about the media, camera shots of Eddie Vedder, old ladies in the front row etc.. I can see that being a turn off to the Cubs experience, but it shouldn't be held against a good, young, and exciting team.

That's fair. Totally. The way it turns into a choke job is if the players who've performed all year for the Cubs don't perform. Sure there is the element of the Indians stymying them...but not producing when your paid to produce is choking IMO. One side will choke....one side will produce.

The only Cub(s) I really dislike are Baez and Maddon. The rest seem fine to me....oh and Heyward because he's a thief. Just stealing $$ from Chicago. Or, is it stealing if you give a con man $$ willingly. I've never been so happy to watch a player leave the Cards as I was With Heyward. VERY over rated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
Well, Maddon is a bit much. Honestly I can't stand listening to him. But I love Baez. Reminds me a bit of Pedroia.

Also, we had David Ross here for a couple of years. Whenever he was interviewed by local media, he was easily the coolest athlete I have ever heard speak.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »
Well, Maddon is a bit much. Honestly I can't stand listening to him. But I love Baez. Reminds me a bit of Pedroia.

Also, we had David Ross here for a couple of years. Whenever he was interviewed by local media, he was easily the coolest athlete I have ever heard speak.

Everything I've seen, heard, read about Ross paints him as a heck of a man. And I think my issue with Baez is he's THAT good and he knows it.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
You know who else is THAT good? Francisco Lindor. Holy crap!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »
I'm hoping Cubs take tonight. I don't anticipate winning against Kluber, but at least we made Miller sweat. I'm thinking we will do better tonight.

Regardless of the outcome, Cubs are set up for the next few years. The team is YOUNG and full of studs, and their farm is packed too.

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
Yes but this is my last year in Chicago. They need to win this year! :lol

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
I'm hoping Cubs take tonight. I don't anticipate winning against Kluber, but at least we made Miller sweat. I'm thinking we will do better tonight.

Regardless of the outcome, Cubs are set up for the next few years. The team is YOUNG and full of studs, and their farm is packed too.
I thought that their farm was pretty stripped at this point as all their previous farm studs are now on the major league roster.  I could be wrong and should just go look it up on Baseball Prospectus or something, but that was my impression.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
I'm curious as to why some of you guys don't like Madden. The Cubs had Lou Piniella a few years ago, and I could understand dislike for him. But Joe seems to be a very respectable person.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
I'm curious as to why some of you guys don't like Madden. The Cubs had Lou Piniella a few years ago, and I could understand dislike for him. But Joe seems to be a very respectable person.

Joe's awesome. Don't see why anyone would legit dislike them.

The Cubs don't have to choke for the Indians to win this series.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
Just found out my great grandparents went to a game in Detroit and a game in Chicago the last time the Cubs were in the World Series (1945). Kind of neat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

Yep, he's a very likable guy.  Awesome manager.

No, but it would be enjoyable to see the Cubs get a lead at some point and then blow it.  Would make watching them lose a lot more fun. :biggrin:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »
I feel like I'm watching a slow pitch softball game.

Heck, decades ago, my HS team would take our white and blue jerseys, so that we would not match our opponents.  A couple of my softball teams did the same.

Oh, and Joe Buck and the gazillion camera switches between pitches suck.  I think I've seen every fan, and I have only watched about five innings total.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #550 on: October 26, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »

I thought that their farm was pretty stripped at this point as all their previous farm studs are now on the major league roster.  I could be wrong and should just go look it up on Baseball Prospectus or something, but that was my impression.

It's not as loaded as it once was because of that and the trade for Chapman, but they still have a bunch of studs.

Yep, he's a very likable guy.  Awesome manager.

No, but it would be enjoyable to see the Cubs get a lead at some point and then blow it.  Would make watching them lose a lot more fun. :biggrin:

Watching them win would be so much better though.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #551 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
And I hate Joe Buck so much. I hate him calling Packer games, I hate him calling the World Series.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2016, 06:01:49 PM »
Does FOX even know that there are TWO teams playing in the World series?

What. The. Fuck?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #553 on: October 28, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
Does FOX even know that there are TWO teams playing in the World series?

What. The. Fuck?

It's the first WS game at Wrigley in 71 years. Of course they were going to play it up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
Holy crap does Hirschbeck have a wide strike zone for Hendricks.

Edit: And Tomlin gets robbed on Bryant.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:23:44 PM by TAC »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #555 on: October 28, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
And yet the stupid Indians still won. Stop with the rigged bs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
Cleveland pitching be damn good. 5 shutouts this postseason so far! Damn.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:19 PM »
Fuck this shit. I'm far too drunk for the Cubs to lose. Next game is a must win, which sucks because Kubler is pitching. They really should have won this game. God fucking dammit!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »

I live in North Central Ohio about 70 miles south of Cleveland. Almost everyone that I know are Cleveland sports fans, and they're reminding me why I never liked the local teams. The term "poor winners" is definitely in play.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »

I live in North Central Ohio about 70 miles south of Cleveland. Almost everyone that I know are Cleveland sports fans, and they're reminding me why I never liked the local teams. The term "poor winners" is definitely in play.
I'm in Ohio too, and I feel the exact same way. I'm rooting for the Cubs purely because I like Depressed Cleveland a lot more than I like Smug Cleveland.