2 (4.1%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
6 (12.2%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread - FLY THE WORLD SERIES W FOR THE CHAMPION CUBS!!!  (Read 51857 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: 2016 MLB Thread - RIP José Fernández
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
It seems like every year some young baseball player is killed near the end of the season or shortly after.  St. Louis seems to be the team hit by that bugaboo the most.

Who else outside of Tavarez?

There was a player who got hit by a drunk driver who was helping a stranded motorist a few years ago.  Darryl Kyle also comes to mind (he was a veteran player at that point).  I feel like I'm missing another one as well.  I didn't really follow baseball from the strike to 2012, so maybe a Cards fan can fill in the details.

Nick Adenhart was a member of the Angels but I do remember Kyle.

I remember Adenhart, and he was killed by a drunk driver, but I believe as a car passenger. I was thinking of Josh Hancock, and I got the details backwards - he was the drunk driver and he hit a person who stopped to help another disabled car:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Hancock

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2016, 10:34:36 PM »
After midnight??  THE HORROR

The results speak for themselves.

I think you're being exceedingly judgmental with your hindsight bias. How many times has he gone out for a midnight boat ride without complication? We don't know. You're only calling it a bad choice because of the result. This isn't a lesson to be learned. Accidents happen regardless of intention or choice.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2016, 05:17:11 AM »
After midnight??  THE HORROR

The results speak for themselves.

I think you're being exceedingly judgmental with your hindsight bias. How many times has he gone out for a midnight boat ride without complication? We don't know. You're only calling it a bad choice because of the result. This isn't a lesson to be learned. Accidents happen regardless of intention or choice.

It is what it is.  I have a 3 month old, and I would never put myself in harms way like that. He did, and unfortunately, paid the price.

I could die today on the highway between work and home. If it's meant to be, then so be it.... but I'm not going to willingly increase my odds of dying prematurely when I have other people depending on me.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2016, 05:33:12 AM »
Fishing/boating after midnight is not a poor choice.  If they were speeding (which has been confirmed I believe), and alcohol/drugs involved, then absolutely yes that was a very poor choice.

I have a family, but I play hockey late and am out sometimes well after midnight.  That is not a poor choice.  Drinking at the rink bar afterward and speeding home is a poor choice.

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2016, 05:48:12 AM »
Fishing/boating after midnight is not a poor choice.  If they were speeding (which has been confirmed I believe), and alcohol/drugs involved, then absolutely yes that was a very poor choice.

I have a family, but I play hockey late and am out sometimes well after midnight.  That is not a poor choice.  Drinking at the rink bar afterward and speeding home is a poor choice.

Exactly. Taking boat rides at night is extremely common. As a matter of fact, it's far more enticing and relaxing being on a boat under the moon and stars.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »
I don't really follow baseball because I'm a football guy, but sports is sports and I like sports.  Truly a tragic loss at such a young age.

Regarding the choice to speedboat at night with low visibility, I don't think that is very common at all.  Most people do that during the day and even then, it's still dangerous.  Life is full of risk.  I'm just sorry that such an excursion ended in tragedy.  My thoughts go out to his family, friends and team.

RIP
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
As mentioned before, boating is very different from SPEEDboating.  Speed was one of the factors that cause this.....not boating in and of itself. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
Couple of necessary corrections to some of what has been said:
-Wasn't a speedboat
-Coast Guard said drugs/alcohol not a factor
-People boating at night is not terribly uncommon there
-An intense storm developed and started moving in right about the time that it's estimated they crashed, they were probably trying to get back to the marina in a hurry and got disoriented about how far out they were
-Everyone on that boat has their own personal agency, I doubt he forced anyone else on there
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
You know, I'm trying really hard not to be a wiseass and mention something about giving your two cents even after the cat ate it.  :lol  :-\  You can punch me at the next DTF meetup.

You're right about everything you said though. This was just an accident and that's it. Nobody it to blame and it wasn't the result of poor judgement.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
You know, I'm trying really hard not to be a wiseass and mention something about giving your two cents even after the cat ate it.  :lol  :-\  You can punch me at the next DTF meetup.

Alternately, I can use it to buy you 25 cents worth of beer  :biggrin:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
Don't ever say that Prog Snob isn't a cheap date.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »

You're right about everything you said though. This was just an accident and that's it. Nobody it to blame and it wasn't the result of poor judgement.

Well we really don't know if it was a result of poor judgement.  They could have been speeding recklessly and unnecessarily in poor conditions.  That hasn't been determined yet if I'm not mistaken
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »
BUT WHY DOES IT MATTER

SERIOUSLY

One of the most appealing players in sports has died at 24 and you are trying to make yourself feel better by saying it was poor judg(e)ment?
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
BUT WHY DOES IT MATTER

SERIOUSLY

One of the most appealing players in sports has died at 24 and you are trying to make yourself feel better by saying it was poor judg(e)ment?

Not sure if you are speaking directly to me but....
-I am not trying to make myself feel better.
-I am not saying it was, or wasn't, poor judgement.
-The fact he was so famous, you should expect discussions about the circumstances of his death, and not take it personal.

If you weren't speaking to me, please disregard, unless you find my post of some value
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
From what I've read a storm was coming, they drifted out a little to much, were speeding to get back and it caused the accident.  A sad line off events for this to happen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »
From what I've read a storm was coming, they drifted out a little to much, were speeding to get back and it caused the accident.  A sad line off events for this to happen.

Truly tragic.  Big story especially right here in my backyard. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2016, 09:41:58 AM »
To those who suggested that the deaths were due to a pleasant night on the water under the stars, or the end of a fishing excursion.....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/some-details-jose-fernandez-final-hours-revealed/

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
So what are you implying?  Staying out past midnight deserves death?
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
So what are you implying?  Staying out past midnight deserves death?

Not at all. Of course he they didn't deserve to die. Better judgment would have prevented this. Period.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
I really don't want to turn this tragedy into fuel for a debate but your logic isn't very...logical. Do you ever break the speed limit when you drive...ever? Saying 'no' is a lie, so I'll just assume yes. If you drive one mph over the speed limit and you die, does that mean you made poor judgement? If you died while driving under the speed limit, does it change the events surrounding the accident? This isn't about poor judgement. It's a tragedy where everything aligned at a specific moment. If drugs and alcohol are involved then YES it's poor judgement, but as of now we don't know that. The autopsy results haven't been revealed.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I really don't want to turn this tragedy into fuel for a debate but your logic isn't very...logical. Do you ever break the speed limit when you drive...ever? Saying 'no' is a lie, so I'll just assume yes. If you drive one mph over the speed limit and you die, does that mean you made poor judgement? If you died while driving under the speed limit, does it change the events surrounding the accident? This isn't about poor judgement. It's a tragedy where everything aligned at a specific moment. If drugs and alcohol are involved then YES it's poor judgement, but as of now we don't know that. The autopsy results haven't been revealed.

I think exceeding the speed limit without driving recklessly is a far cry from the position these men put themselves in. Of course I'll admit I was wrong if it is proven that there was no alcohol in their system, but the time of night + them leaving a bar is pretty damning imo.

My original intent was to post once on this and be done with it. I'm more than willing to drop this, other than posting "I was wrong" if it turns out that I've got this completely wrong, provided everyone else does.

The playoffs are around the corner. Plenty of actual baseball to be discussed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »

I think exceeding the speed limit without driving recklessly is a far cry from the position these men put themselves in. Of course I'll admit I was wrong if it is proven that there was no alcohol in their system, but the time of night + them leaving a bar is pretty damning imo.

My original intent was to post once on this and be done with it. I'm more than willing to drop this, other than posting "I was wrong" if it turns out that I've got this completely wrong, provided everyone else does.

The playoffs are around the corner. Plenty of actual baseball to be discussed.

I really didn't want this to turn into a morality debate either. And if there was alcohol in his system then the whole argument is moot because then I will concede that he was stupid.

I haven't watched any games lately. After the Yankees series against Boston I needed to take a breather.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: September 27, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »
I'll be watching the Yankees tonight! ;D

Oh, and...

Gary Sanchez is an absolute BEAST!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:31:52 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »
ROTY ?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
Normally I would argue against shorter playing time vs other candidates but I don't even care in Sanchez's case.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
So proud of the Orioles for winning the last two games in Toronto. Now take care of business in NY and it's the playoffs again!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
So proud of the Orioles for winning the last two games in Toronto. 

Me too! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »
Damn Jays!! A month ago i thought they were a lock for the post season. Now I'm holding my breath that they can make it out of the weekend as the 2nd wild card. Aghhh.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:40 PM »
I love the last couple of weeks of the season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2016, 06:34:11 AM »
Damn Jays!! A month ago i thought they were a lock for the post season. Now I'm holding my breath that they can make it out of the weekend as the 2nd wild card. Aghhh.

I don't want any part of the Jays in the playoffs. Hoping the Sox take care of business this weekend. Though a Jays/ Rangers series would be fantastic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
It's October 1st and the Mariners are still mathematically alive. Someone pinch me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
What happens if the Giants lose and the Cards win tomorrow? Who goes to the WC game
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #313 on: October 02, 2016, 05:11:54 AM »
What happens if the Giants lose and the Cards win tomorrow? Who goes to the WC game

A 1 game playoff will happen to see who gets the wildcard....so they can play another 1 game playoff in the wildcard round.

Gotta give it to the MLB. They make the players play 162 games, and they don't hesitate to make them play extras for tie breakers.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #314 on: October 02, 2016, 08:03:12 AM »
161 games, and it's down to Dodgers at Giants to see if we go to the playoffs. That's pretty much the essence of baseball in a nutshell for me.

:GiantsMetal:

(fuck LA)