2 (4.1%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
6 (12.2%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Thread - FLY THE WORLD SERIES W FOR THE CHAMPION CUBS!!!  (Read 51847 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2016 MLB Thread
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »
The Red Sox this year have had one of the best offenses I have ever seen, especially considering it is post-sillyball era and Fenway is not as much of a hitter's park as it used to be.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
Watching the Sox-O's game tonight...

@ DOC: WTF is going on down there? There is NOBODY at the game. What is this, Tampa?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »
Tim, I was just thinking the same thing seeing all those empty seats.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
Yeah, they said attendance was 18k, but at least 8k are Sox fans!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
It's pretty embarrassing for sure. Could use the rust belt excuse that can apply to places like Cleveland and Pittsburgh, or fact that we've now got the Nats 45 minutes to the south on top of Philly 2 hours north. Not as many fans in the Baltimore area than in many of the larger cities/areas.

But yeah, disheartening to say the least.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:30 AM »

I saw the Yankees at Camden a few years back and there was undoubtedly more Yankees fans there. It's a nice place to see a game though, plus it's much more affordable than Yankee Stadium.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »

I saw the Yankees at Camden a few years back and there was undoubtedly more Yankees fans there. It's a nice place to see a game though, plus it's much more affordable than Yankee Stadium.
That's where I used to go see Sox games back when they were selling out Fenway night after night.  It was closer and cheaper.  And, there always seem to be more Sox fans than O's fans.  Pretty sad.  Awesome.  But, sad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »
We went to Camden so long ago, the Sox starter was RAMON Martinez!  :lol

Actually, during that trip, the Orioles had an event at a park (not a baseball) in downtown DC. We went, and it was cool. The kids got autographs from Charles Johnson, Mike Timlin, and I got a pic with Mike Hargrove.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »

That's where I used to go see Sox games back when they were selling out Fenway night after night.  It was closer and cheaper.  And, there always seem to be more Sox fans than O's fans.  Pretty sad.  Awesome.  But, sad.

There are quite a few American League teams that sell out when the Yankees are in town. I can imagine it being the same for the Red Sox.

Actually, during that trip, the Orioles had an event at a park (not a baseball) in downtown DC. We went, and it was cool. The kids got autographs from Charles Johnson, Mike Timlin, and I got a pic with Mike Hargrove.

Nice. You made out pretty good. I first read that as Mike Tomlin. I was like, woah awesome.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
It was the summer of 2000. It was Mike Hargrove's first year. 

Not sure if you remember, but the previous year in the playoffs, he pitched around Nomar twice, only to have Troy O'Leary hit a grand slam AND a 3 run shot. When we went to Baltimore, Troy O'Leary had just come off the DL, so when I was talking to Hargrove, I said, "Better be careful, Troy O'Leary just came off the DL.". He goes, "you must be from Boston." "Yes".  He chuckled and said "That's what got me fired."

He was very cool. I have to find that pic.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
It was the summer of 2000. It was Mike Hargrove's first year. 

Not sure if you remember, but the previous year in the playoffs, he pitched around Nomar twice, only to have Troy O'Leary hit a grand slam AND a 3 run shot. When we went to Baltimore, Troy O'Leary had just come off the DL, so when I was talking to Hargrove, I said, "Better be careful, Troy O'Leary just came off the DL.". He goes, "you must be from Boston." "Yes".  He chuckled and said "That's what got me fired."

He was very cool. I have to find that pic.

:lol  Way to bring back bad memories.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »

Yep...no more events in DC. Like I said, the Orioles "territory" got more than cut in half when the Nats moved in.

There's just more Yankee, Red Sox, Cowboys, Lakers Patriots etc fans. Huge local fanbase and national appeal. Can't compete with that 9 times out of 10.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2016, 05:36:08 AM »
I say the same things about the Steelers. I find their fans everywhere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
Some franchises just beg people to jump on the bandwagon.  I used to work with a gal who claimed to be this diehard Steelers fan, yet one day when a couple of us put her on the spot, she couldn't name three players on their team and thought Bill Cowher was their QB before Roethlisberger. :lol :lol  I would normally never "sports shame" somebody like that, but it was clear that she was full of it and deserved the shaming she got. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »
What's wrong with her? Chuck Noll was the quarterback before Roethlisberger.  ;)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
Cubs. I hope the Pirates win tonight so they clinch home field through the playoffs.

Wish I could've caught a game. I signed up for the lottery to get playoff tickets but I doubt I get the chance. If I do though I'm so going I don't care how crappy the seat is.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 MLB Thread - RIP José Fernández
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
Very sad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
Goddammit this is sad :(
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »
Ugh, it gets worse, he'd just posted on Instagram a few days ago that his girlfriend was pregnant, and how excited he was about starting a family.

:(
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:41 AM »
Ugh, it gets worse, he'd just posted on Instagram a few days ago that his girlfriend was pregnant, and how excited he was about starting a family.

That's the worst. Even more reason why he shouldn't have been out on the water that late at night. He certainly didn't deserve to die, but he should have used much better judgment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »
Fucking Wow. Wow.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
It seems like every year some young baseball player is killed near the end of the season or shortly after.  St. Louis seems to be the team hit by that bugaboo the most.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »

That's the worst. Even more reason why he shouldn't have been out on the water that late at night. He certainly didn't deserve to die, but he should have used much better judgment.
Yes once you hit a milestone like that in your life, you should completely cease all enjoyable leisure activities in your life.  Come on, get out of here with your hindsight bias.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
It seems like every year some young baseball player is killed near the end of the season or shortly after.  St. Louis seems to be the team hit by that bugaboo the most.

Who else outside of Tavarez?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »

Yes once you hit a milestone like that in your life, you should completely cease all enjoyable leisure activities in your life.  Come on, get out of here with your hindsight bias.

What bias? He made a terrible decision....it's unfortunate that it cost him his life  (and the lives of two others).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »

There was a player who got hit by a drunk driver who was helping a stranded motorist a few years ago.  Darryl Kyle also comes to mind (he was a veteran player at that point).  I feel like I'm missing another one as well.  I didn't really follow baseball from the strike to 2012, so maybe a Cards fan can fill in the details.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »

What bias? He made a terrible decision....it's unfortunate that it cost him his life  (and the lives of two others).
What decision did he make?  To go out fishing and having fun on a Saturday night?  And wasn't he a passenger in the boat??  For fucks sake dude.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »

What decision did he make?  To go out fishing and having fun on a Saturday night?  And wasn't he a passenger in the boat??  For fucks sake dude.

Does that look like the result of a fishing trip? That was a high speed crash, and the police have the time of crash being after midnight. Horrible choice under normal circumstances... inexcusable for a father to be! And that's without knowing whether or not alcohol played a role.

I'm not saying he was a bad dude. Just that he made a bad choice. You have your opinion and I have mine. It is what it is. My thoughts go to his family and the family of the other two.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »
After midnight??  THE HORROR
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »

The results speak for themselves.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »

There was a player who got hit by a drunk driver who was helping a stranded motorist a few years ago.  Darryl Kyle also comes to mind (he was a veteran player at that point).  I feel like I'm missing another one as well.  I didn't really follow baseball from the strike to 2012, so maybe a Cards fan can fill in the details.

Nick Adenhart was a member of the Angels but I do remember Kyle.

Horrible choice under normal circumstances... inexcusable for a father to be! And that's without knowing whether or not alcohol played a role.

I know what you're getting at but I can't bring myself to think ill of the dead especially since I was mid-20s myself and have had a number of instances where my choices could have ended my life.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:24:41 PM by orcus116 »

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »

The results speak for themselves.
Congratulations for using a young man's death as a chance to preach "I told you so" to anyone you can reach out to.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Jose was one of the only pitchers I could watch dominate my favorite team and still enjoy it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:24 PM »
Terrible day for sports. Jose Fernandez, Arnold Palmer, and most of you won't know him, but Mylan Hicks, who was a member of Michigan State's recent Rose Bowl team, all passed away today. :(