Author Topic: My iPod finally died. What are my options?  (Read 4977 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: My iPod finally died. What are my options?
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
Ever since I figured out that you can have 5GB of data for $40 a month from T-Mobile, I have stopped putting music on my phone (except on trips where I might not have good connection. But there it's actually fun to select specific albums you listen to on your trip).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
People have been telling me to "get with the times" and just stream music.  Not only does that cost data, but isn't streamed music pretty bad quality?  Also, I still can't imagine it being as convenient as just pulling up the song, album, artist, or playlist I want and listening straight through, or shuffling.

Dumb question, maybe, but can't you put music on the phone you already carry?  Especially if you add a memory card dedicated just to the music?  I'm sure it would be less music you could carry at a time, but it would only be one thing to carry.

The dead iPod was 160GB, and no phone comes close to that.  The idea is to actually have a variety of tunes to choose from, without having to constantly add/remove tunes.

Also, phones and music players, to me, have distinct functions.  The first thing I do when I get in the car is plug in the iPod.  If the phone rings or I need to send a text or check directions or something, I don't want to stop the tunes or even touch the player.  Maybe hit Pause.  Then I grab my phone.

When I practice, I have my iPod, but I intentionally leave the phone upstairs.  No interruptions during practices, unless I'm expecting a call (which I usually miss anyway because I never even look at the phone).

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00PQ2UVHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452028781&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+x1

You have to use a disc, but it was easy enough to figure out. But it seems the iPod Classic can never duplicated in terms ease of use and usability.

Fiio makes a variety of devices that I've been looking at.  They have one (I think it's the X5) that takes two cards, for a total of 256GB.  That's pretty serious, and I'm considering it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »
People have been telling me to "get with the times" and just stream music.  Not only does that cost data, but isn't streamed music pretty bad quality?
Depends what kind of quality you're after and whether you're a subscriber or not. Spotify for example is 320kbps OGG Vorbis if you have premium, which is better than 320kbps MP3 as far as sound quality goes, but Spotify free is only 160kbps. I'm pretty sure Apple Music is 256kbps AAC (arguably better than 320kbps MP3) and Google Music is 320kbps MP3.

But all a higher quality stream means is that it uses more data. :lol 320kbps is roughly 144MB per hour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00PQ2UVHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452028781&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+x1

You have to use a disc, but it was easy enough to figure out. But it seems the iPod Classic can never duplicated in terms ease of use and usability.

Fiio makes a variety of devices that I've been looking at.  They have one (I think it's the X5) that takes two cards, for a total of 256GB.  That's pretty serious, and I'm considering it.

Mine only holds one card at a time and I bought a 32G card. The cards need to be formatted, which they don't tell you, but I googled a program to do it and it was fine.
It's really my 3rd device after my 160G iPod and my older 30G iPod. But it does indeed sound good.

I made a thread very similar to yours almost a year and a half ago, and the Fiio was really the only option that I could find. I really wished I had bought another iPod as soon as they announced it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 05:41:42 PM »
People have been telling me to "get with the times" and just stream music.  Not only does that cost data, but isn't streamed music pretty bad quality?  Also, I still can't imagine it being as convenient as just pulling up the song, album, artist, or playlist I want and listening straight through, or shuffling.

Streaming your own personal library in high quality lossless audio in a way that's just as convenient as choosing music on an iPod is currently possible...

...it just takes a lot of data to do so sadly. Right now if streaming is your option, you either have to not care about quality, or have a large amount of data (and a good connection).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
I'm with Orbert in that I need a dedicated music player.  My phone is full of apps, videos, and whatnot.  I have almost 150 GB of music, and I don't want to be figuring out what to put on take off On a regular basis.  I'm used to having all my music instantly wherever I am - anything less is going to feel like a downgrade.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »

Dumb question, maybe, but can't you put music on the phone you already carry?  Especially if you add a memory card dedicated just to the music?  I'm sure it would be less music you could carry at a time, but it would only be one thing to carry.

The dead iPod was 160GB, and no phone comes close to that.  The idea is to actually have a variety of tunes to choose from, without having to constantly add/remove tunes.

Also, phones and music players, to me, have distinct functions.  The first thing I do when I get in the car is plug in the iPod.  If the phone rings or I need to send a text or check directions or something, I don't want to stop the tunes or even touch the player.  Maybe hit Pause.  Then I grab my phone.

When I practice, I have my iPod, but I intentionally leave the phone upstairs.  No interruptions during practices, unless I'm expecting a call (which I usually miss anyway because I never even look at the phone).

I bought one of these:

I've been considering it too.  My 120gb ipod is way beyond full and when I add stuff I have to figure out what to take off.  My only question is, what would I have to do different from itunes?  Right now, itunes is surprisingly convenient (I don't care for apple for the most part) but when I want to update or change a typo from a song list, it takes care of it right away.  How much convenience would I lose with a FiiO?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »
Tons but it still seemed the best option.

You are basically clicking and dragging your files.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
If quality matters, I wouldn't buy a cheap ass 5 year old phone just to use it as a dedicated music player.  You wouldn't buy a cheap ass 40" CRT TV to watch movies.  I'm seriously considering a dedicated quality music player.  I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but I sure as hell know the difference between SD and HD and Blu-Ray.  I have to believe the same difference could be applied to the sense of sound, and it's not exclusive to vision.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
Well, you could have a viewing, funeral, and then burial.

You could have a viewing, funeral, cremation, and then burial.

You could have a viewing, funeral, cremation, and then keep the ashes.

You could forego viewing and take it directly to a cemetery, possibly with graveside services.

You could cremate, and then have a memorial service, and bury the ashes.

You could cremate, and them just have the ashes buried.

Or you could just cremate, and keep the ashes.

Lots of choices, let me know if you need further info on any of these.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 09:23:07 PM »
Nick, you're the best.

I went a totally different route.  Yes, I've already pulled the trigger.  I posted the same dilemma on Facebook, and a friend of mine pointed me to a guy on eBay who makes these "kits" to basically refurb and juice up your iPod.  For $130, you get a Zif 256gb SSD, a new battery, and a new back cover (since you'll probably wreck the old one opening it up).  Since it's eBay and PayPal, everything is money-back guarantee, but the guy has 100% positive feedback, so I've got nothing to lose.

Overall, I go from 160gb HD to 256gb SSD with a new battery.  I'm reasonably savvy with tools, plus I've seen videos on YouTube which take you through the whole process.  Hopefully I haven't made a horrible mistake.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
That sounds pretty awesome! Let us know how it goes!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 09:56:11 PM »
The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wanted to either get a new iPod (the Touch with 128gb wouldn't be horrible) or find a way to keep the old one going.  I just got a new stereo for my car, and it has iPod interface, which I've always wanted.  So of course the iPod started dying immediately after I ordered the new car stereo.  I also have an iPod dock for my home theater system, iHome portable speakers which are useful at band practices, and the clock radio in the bedroom is even an iHome.  I hadn't thought about all that at first, but I actually use the iPod with all of these things.  I guess that's what happens when you own a device for eight years.  You get used to it, and even take it for granted.  I'm actually getting psyched just waiting for the new kits.  Oh yeah, "kits" since I ordered two of them; one for the wife, whose iPod is a year older than mine and also starting to go.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
I would have probably ordered one first and made sure all was good before ordering a second. But I expect you're more skilled than I am. :lol

Hope it all works out. Sounds like a nifty little upgrade.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
I was going to do it that way, but he only had two left and there were 15 people "watching" so I just paid the "Buy Now" price for both.  If they work as advertised, $130 is a hell of a deal.  If they don't, I send them back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »
Nick, you're the best.

I went a totally different route.  Yes, I've already pulled the trigger.  I posted the same dilemma on Facebook, and a friend of mine pointed me to a guy on eBay who makes these "kits" to basically refurb and juice up your iPod.  For $130, you get a Zif 256gb SSD, a new battery, and a new back cover (since you'll probably wreck the old one opening it up).  Since it's eBay and PayPal, everything is money-back guarantee, but the guy has 100% positive feedback, so I've got nothing to lose.

Overall, I go from 160gb HD to 256gb SSD with a new battery.  I'm reasonably savvy with tools, plus I've seen videos on YouTube which take you through the whole process.  Hopefully I haven't made a horrible mistake.

Very interesting.  Hope that works for you.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »
Let me make sure I got this right dude; this kit will help you open the iPod classic and add memory to it?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
But... size.   I have a 120GB iPod and I'm at like 99.5% capacity, and I have a stack of about 30 CDs I still have to add (I'm kind of a freak about having all my music with me, because I travel a fair amount, and I use the iPod in the car).  It's still working, but it won't forever, and I don't have a lot of options at this point (though I'm sure that will change in the future).

Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full so I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get and I'll try to resend my PM.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »

Streaming your own personal library in high quality lossless audio in a way that's just as convenient as choosing music on an iPod is currently possible...

...it just takes a lot of data to do so sadly. Right now if streaming is your option, you either have to not care about quality, or have a large amount of data (and a good connection).

See, everything is a compromise.  Plus none of this works (for free, anyways) on a moving plane.   Last night I very happily and in my own little world listened to the entire Oasis catalogue from Standing On The Shoulders... through Dig Out Your Soul, and it didn't cost me anything additional, and I didn't need bandwidth or data or whatnot.  Then today, on another thread, we're talking about Alter Bridge and Slash, and viola, I called up Metalingus and Anastasia, and again, no charges, no hooking up to networks, no data... boom.

I know why the idea of streaming is good (REVENUE) and being a capitalist I'm okay with that.  I just wish there was a capitalist somewhere in the Apple organization that would recognize that there is still a niche market of iconoclasts like me (and the exhorbitant prices for "new" iPods sorta backs me up on that). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »
But... size.   I have a 120GB iPod and I'm at like 99.5% capacity, and I have a stack of about 30 CDs I still have to add (I'm kind of a freak about having all my music with me, because I travel a fair amount, and I use the iPod in the car).  It's still working, but it won't forever, and I don't have a lot of options at this point (though I'm sure that will change in the future).

Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full so I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get and I'll try to resend my PM.

Sorry, done.  Should be room now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »
Im with you, I personally do not like streaming my music.  I like having it all on my phone and ready to play at the quality I want when I want.  I also keep a low data plan because I'd rather not spend the money to be able to stream.  But the benefit to streaming is you don't need to purchase albums and you have more music than you can imagine at your finger tips if you want to try something new.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:04 PM »
Let me make sure I got this right dude; this kit will help you open the iPod classic and add memory to it?

There are apparently kits which help you open the iPod by including some nylon pry tools (metal can mar the metal shell) and I watched four or five YouTube videos of various guys doing various mods on their iPods, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into.  I don't know for sure whether the kit I ordered includes tools, in fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't, since the guy was pretty specific about what's included.  So no, it won't help me open the iPod, and that is apparently the hard part.

Once the device is open, you're just replacing the storage device and battery.  It still seemed a bit scary to me, until I got to one of the videos where the guy talked about ribbon controllers connected to the motherboard, etc., and I suddenly realized that it's just like replacing PC components, only smaller.  I've done minor surgery on my PC a number of times (added RAM, replaced drives and video cards) so now I'm not so afraid of doing this.  For the price, and what I'm getting out of it, I'm up for a little do-it-yourself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
My friend does hardware replacements on his iphone.  It's a delicate process it seems, especially if you are concerned with not ruining the outside case when opening it up, need to be very careful.  Not sure about the ipod's but since it's apple I'd imagine it's similar.  It can be done, but for me with my poor skills at being handy, I wouldn't trust myself to not break it.  A PC is easier because everything is bigger and doesn't need to be delicate to the case.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
Have you looked at the ifixit website? They have incredible guides on opening basically any electronic device i can think of.
This is what I found for the ipod classic
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Classic+Hard+Drive+Replacement/564
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
Ooh, thanks for that!  Even after watching several YouTube videos, it still had a few useful tips.  Also, none of the YouTube videos mentioned the clips and rails and how easy it is to damage them, so I was almost wondering why the kit I ordered comes with a new back.  Now I know; it's assumed that you'll damage the original, so they just give you a new one.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
Pretty gutsy Orbert, I'm looking forward to updates!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »
Pretty gutsy Orbert, I'm looking forward to updates!

This. It seems like a high risk/high reward situation. It's literally brain surgery!

I am definitely interested in seeing how things turn out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »
Oh, so you're just raising it from the dead... for some reason I hadn't considered that. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »
Yeah, it's a resurrection, not an interrment.  I didn't even realize it was an option at first.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
I'm completely with you Orbert, streaming is just not a viable option. I was lucky to have got an iPod less than a year before they were discontinued, so hopefully it lasts a decent amount of time. Once it dies, I guess I'll look at options but I do quite like the cheap phone/SD card idea.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
My old ipod is slowly corrupting files one at a time so they aren't playable. I'm very interested in how this works out for you!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Heard a rumour hat iPhone 7 onwards will have lightning headphone connectors to get the phone even thinner.

If true then I shall go android.

Fuck that noise.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
Heard a rumour hat iPhone 7 onwards will have lightning headphone connectors to get the phone even thinner.

Fuck that noise.

Their reasoning is that everyone uses bluetooth now, I call BS, they want to push their proprietary connector, as usual.  I'm happy Samsung is listening to complaints, rumors of adding the microSD card slot back to the S7 after removing it in the S6.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »

Fuck that noise.

Their reasoning is that everyone uses bluetooth now, I call BS, they want to push their proprietary connector, as usual.  I'm happy Samsung is listening to complaints, rumors of adding the microSD card slot back to the S7 after removing it in the S6.
I know literally nobody who uses bluetooth. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
Bollocks to phones getting thinner and thinner.

I love my 5S because it feels chunky and you can grip it and it doesn't feel like it will snap in half.